Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100% F2P predictions

2»

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by redman875

Problem is that GW1 is a niche game, it has much more complex and diverse combat and skills and the pvp is more of a challange.

This game is a themepark, its competition is all the other games out there but its a simplified zerg version.

Gw1 =/= Gw2 in any way shape or form, ask any gw1 vet they will tell you the pvp is better in gw1 and its why they had played the game so long.

So while i can see the thought process that leads people to think this game will follow the same path as gw1, its a completely different game aside from its name and developer, its appealing mostly to a crowd who thought this was going to be the next major mmorpg and compete head to head with wow (yes i hate that thought process).  Gw1 competed with no one it was its own unique type of thing, which is why people stuck with it so long.

This game, people are just going to hop to the next big hype game when it comes along, and theres really no form of character attachment , theres no building a legacy guild since theres no guild competition...

I really dont see this one lasting with any form of paywall.

Im not even sure i would really play it if it was free to be honest, theres just no room for games like this anymore.

This is a "straw man". The people on this forum need to learn what this is and stop using it.

Simply ignore it, I was going to reply to him but then decided he wasn't looking for actual discussion. First he was looking for those that agreed with him, then tried to "educate" people with assumptions and when that didn't work he tried to say the ones that didn't agree with him are simply hype followers and hardcore game defenders thus should be ignored lol. 

The part I highlighted is a straw man. He made up a position that maybe some but not even close to all of us that like GW2 have then proceeded to refute that position. I and many others never thought that GW2 would go head to head with WoW or be the "next major mmorpg".

Edit: Were you talking to me or redman?

I was telling you to ignore redman lol. 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Problem is that GW1 is a niche game, it has much more complex and diverse combat and skills and the pvp is more of a challange.

This game is a themepark, its competition is all the other games out there but its a simplified zerg version.

Gw1 =/= Gw2 in any way shape or form, ask any gw1 vet they will tell you the pvp is better in gw1 and its why they had played the game so long.

So while i can see the thought process that leads people to think this game will follow the same path as gw1, its a completely different game aside from its name and developer, its appealing mostly to a crowd who thought this was going to be the next major mmorpg and compete head to head with wow (yes i hate that thought process).  Gw1 competed with no one it was its own unique type of thing, which is why people stuck with it so long.

This game, people are just going to hop to the next big hype game when it comes along, and theres really no form of character attachment , theres no building a legacy guild since theres no guild competition...

Im not even sure i would really play it if it was free to be honest, theres just no room for games like this anymore.

This is a "straw man". The people on this forum need to learn what this is and stop using it.

Simply ignore it, I was going to reply to him but then decided he wasn't looking for actual discussion. First he was looking for those that agreed with him, then tried to "educate" people with assumptions and when that didn't work he tried to say the ones that didn't agree with him are simply hype followers and hardcore game defenders thus should be ignored lol. 

The part I highlighted is a straw man. He made up a position that maybe some but not even close to all of us that like GW2 have then proceeded to refute that position. I and many others never thought that GW2 would go head to head with WoW or be the "next major mmorpg".

Edit: Were you talking to me or redman?

I was telling you to ignore redman lol. 

Ok thought so. LOL

• oreal52oreal52 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    It will go free to play until the end of 2013.
  • ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    Looks like someone just wants to play a game that they don't have to pay for at all. Since when did a game company make a game not to make money off of it bud? Gw2 is fine the way it is. Same as GW1.
  • MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    I just want to be clear here, i dont like f2p games and typically avoid them.  Im just trying to discuss here peoples thoughts on this game going free...since the hype has peaked and that was really all the game had going for it, hype and a lot of hardcore game defenders.

I can see where you are coming from mate but you gotta look at the opposite opinion before you go telling everyone what you think. Let me explain

You state that GW2 has peaked...well of course it has. name me one game that is currently sitting at more members than it had at launch or around a big update launch... there are none, its the same for movies and single player games, more ppl buy them at launch than every again after that point. so making the conclusion that since its "peaked" and therefore is going down in terms of members and therefore has to drastical change things up before it fails is stupid.

for example: I could say;

OMG WoW peaked in peaked its members 2 weeks after release of pandablah when will it got f2p to make up for this epic fail?

see? doesnt make sense. 

you state that the hype was all it had going for it. in your opinion is the part you forget to add there. also "alot of hardcore game defenders" so when that "alot" becomes 2 million people, are they still hardcore defenders? or are they actually perfectly normal fans of the game who enjoy it alot and will most likely buy every expsansion from now on.

I am not saying that a disucssion about whether or not GW2 will go f2p or not is stupid, all im saying it that you reasoning for why is off. Seems to me that since swtor and a few others went f2p due to there success its become the go to arguement for any "perceived" failing mmo.

remember swtor had a rediculous budget for both developerment and marketing and then failed to delivery a game that was successful enough to make money back on these investments. GW2 didn't not cost as much and therefore never at any point required the success of a "WoW-Killer" to be profitable.

my point: game that aimt too high need to rethink business model when they fail. GW2 has no failed to meet its targets (in my opinion look at sales and online players) so it doesn't need to change its model just because it one point in history it had more members.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

So how long untill they drop the box price and move to a 100% item mall funded game?

Im guessing they may sell a reduced priced expansion, perhaps bundled with the launch version...but after that im predicting a fully free game.  I dont think the lack of a sub will help this one, i mean its good for a cheap thrill but certainly not worth $60, let alone further expansions.

Not for a long while. 

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I love posts like these, from ignorant posters who obviously have no perception of how things work.

In a very selfish way it makes me feel better about myself when I find things like "GW2 is already a success" and "why would they ever need to abandon a payment format as fair as the one they have now?", common knowledge.

In the state that mmorpg games are now, there is not a single game out there that offers you a better experience for the amount of money you pay.

Also, it doesn't cost 66$.

It's 44$ in amazon, less in other places.

..Cake..

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

This is like saying every box game out there will let you play it for free since they can make money through DLC.

It's a different pricing formula. F2P is not going to happen. They're already far more profitable than they expected to be, and with every new expansion that number will continue to rise just like GW1.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

This is like saying every box game out there will let you play it for free since they can make money through DLC.

It's a different pricing formula. F2P is not going to happen. They're already far more profitable than they expected to be, and with every new expansion that number will continue to rise just like GW1.

^ This

its all about expectations, swtor wanted to be a wow killer, it failed, had to change model, gw2 never wanted to be the biggest and is doing fine with its current members/sales and pricing model.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Macecard
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

^ This

its all about expectations, swtor wanted to be a wow killer, it failed, had to change model, gw2 never wanted to be the biggest and is doing fine with its current members/sales and pricing model.

Some one is going to dig up that "We want to beat WoW" quote. They never should have said it.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Kost

A number of the top rated e-Sports Teams in the world have left other games so they can focus entirely on GW2, because the quality of the experience it brings to the table in this genre is unmatched. If you think that is considered a "cheap thrill" and cannot see the very positive message that sends about the success of the game (and the high quality of the product itself) then I don't even...

How many and/or what teams? Who were they rated by? What tournaments have them participated in and/or won?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    hmmmm.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

And that proves that no game, sub or not, is free of the "F2P when?" issue.. :)

Back on topic, I understand that GW1 and GW2 are completely different games, but I really doubt Anet will do a full F2P anytime soon. The way I see it happening would be to go the GW1 way, as in, reducing the price of the box a lot (to something like $20 like GW1 is now) and making bundles once the expacs start to roll out.

Heck, I could see them even releasing PvP only versions of the game in the future like they did with GW1 (as in games that only let you participate in sPvP and WvW). Wouldn't be that hard, would just let you create characters that start in the heart of the mists insead of your race's starting area and create new servers for WvW for those characters with increased XP, money and gear drop rates.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236
    the simple answer is, you're an idiot
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

So while i can see the thought process that leads people to think this game will follow the same path as gw1, its a completely different game aside from its name and developer, its appealing mostly to a crowd who thought this was going to be the next major mmorpg and compete head to head with wow (yes i hate that thought process).  Gw1 competed with no one it was its own unique type of thing, which is why people stuck with it so long.  People got behind this game because they thought it was going to be popular not because its fantastic.  Theres a big difference there...the next game the seems to be the popular choice will take these players right out the game, and most will leave when it becomes more apparent that they chose wrong in the popularity contest that has become AAA themeparks.

It will follow the same path mostly because it's actually NOT in direct competition with other themeparks... who knew, eh? -.-

ANet devs and M.B. said that themselves, with added sentence which went somehting like this: "we want our players to play other games". Cool, right?

I played GW1 and I guarantee that I'll play GW2 for a very, very, very, VERY long time...

Did I mention it's not compeeteing directly to any other themepark?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Really your in denial if you think this game follows in the same footsteps of gw1.  Nice use of a buzzword though, might want to apply it in the right context next time.

Actually, he used it in the right context. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

more teachers on this site than gamers

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I doubt it. Likely I can see it adding a 'free trial' type deal to draw people in (it does do a good job at starting quite flashy to draw people in before they realize its just the same old) but I doubt they will go 100% F2P. That being said, I can see it dropping in price down to make $20, but that probably would come at the same time the expansion might come out which would sell for $40. While I don't think its no where close to the level the hype lifted this game up to, I just doubt they would be selling the game or its expansions for under $30 for it all.
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

So how long untill they drop the box price and move to a 100% item mall funded game?

Im guessing they may sell a reduced priced expansion, perhaps bundled with the launch version...but after that im predicting a fully free game.  I dont think the lack of a sub will help this one, i mean its good for a cheap thrill but certainly not worth $60, let alone further expansions.

You have been here one month and you have done nothing but bash this game. At this point maybe move on a little bit? Seriously did GW2 steal your prom date?

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    I just want to be clear here, i dont like f2p games and typically avoid them.  Im just trying to discuss here peoples thoughts on this game going free...since the hype has peaked and that was really all the game had going for it, hype and a lot of hardcore game defenders.

You also dont like GW2 even though you never played it. Kind of hard to take you seriously when your knowledge of the game is entirely based on zero experience.

I highlighted the part that should tell you why it wont be a free box any time soon.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

I think alot of people in this thread seriously underestimate the viability of f2p. It is VERY viable for GW2 to go f2p and THEN charge the players for expansion packs and vanity items, it's just such a lucrative business model especially after box sales start to hit all time lows, which THEY WILL after a few months. 

It's a great long-term plan for any mmo that is not WOW.

F2P also offers a steady influx of players, many of which will go on to buy expansion packs and cash shop items.

And let's face it, it's pretty much where the industry is heading, there are ALOT of big budget f2p games coming out...the competition is going to be brutal.  

Ncsoft would have to be stupid to ignore the ebb and flow of the industry, the fact that the game shipped with an item shop shows that they're keeping f2p in mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented f2p by the time the next expansion pack hits...with that initial surge of players they could drop off 40$ expansion pack two months later and bam, $$$$$...

That's just too much money to ignore.  

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

will be updated with full priced add ons as in guild wars 1.

F2P is steaming pile

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    If xfire is any indicator and playtime dropped a whopping 75% since launch then you're looking at F2P or a seriously reduced price very soon.
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Sentime
    If xfire is any indicator and playtime dropped a whopping 75% since launch then you're looking at F2P or a seriously reduced price very soon.

Xfire numbers mean next to nothing, hardly anyone uses it.

Regardless of that, ArenaNet already has the revenue from those box purchases, and there is no monthly subscription so player retention is a non-factor. If they were reliant on the revenue from monthly subscriptions to stay afloat then a drop in playtime would have an impact on them, but seeing as they are not - it has no effect at all.