Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fairest review I've seen so far

prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Dont know how many of you follow yahtzee but he's overly critical of everything. This review is actually positive despite what he seems to say. You should check out his WoW review for comparison as well. He isn't biased to any other MMOs out there and while not a regular MMOer, he's reviewed all the big names i.e. SWTOR, WoW, Age of Conan, etc. 

There are a few small swear words and I know even slightest bit of swearing doesn't seem to be tolerated here so caution I guess

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6337-Guild-Wars-2

I think this is a good review cause he doesn't make the game all flowery and nor does he throw it off a subway platform and crush it. Just a humorous unbiased review IMO.

Mods if there's an issue with the link let me know and take it down altough I don't think there's any issue though apart from swear words.(I got a warning when I posted a link to a video review once :   )

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    He finally did GW2 omg yes.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

He made me laugh but in his rant he actually got the game just about right.

My 2cp is simple,if you play GW2 non casual you will hate it but if you want a casual mmorpg you pick up and play a little bit,smell the roses and then come back at a later date or pick and mix with your regular mmorpg then GW2 is simply the best out there.

Maybe thats why it does not have a sub,since you can come and go as you like without thinking you have wasted your money.

I feel bad for all those who rushed thru or played it hours a day as they are simply bored now.My highest toon is in the 20s since i play it 1-2 hrs a day weekends only and its so refreshing when i log in.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by hercules

[ ... ]

Maybe thats why it does not have a sub,since you can come and go as you like without thinking you have wasted your money.

[ ... ]

I think you may have gotten causality backwards there. :D

On the vid: Yahtzee basically nailed my impressions of the game after a couple of days playtime. With all its nooks and crannies. Still a great game and I am enjoying it a few hours a day. Feels great not to be forced to powerlevel or powerplay everyday because you need to get you monthly subscription's worth of gametime.

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

If a review agress with your own opinion then it is "fair".

If a review disagrees with your own opinion then it is "biased".

At least that is the way it seems to work around here.  I guess by sort of taking the middle ground this one is trying to be the least "biased".

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by Indrome

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

I think you may have gotten causality backwards there. :D

On the vid: Yahtzee basically nailed my impressions of the game after a couple of days playtime. With all its nooks and crannies. Still a great game and I am enjoying it a few hours a day. Feels great not to be forced to powerlevel or powerplay everyday because you need to get you monthly subscription's worth of gametime.

Think we are basically saying same thing.Played the right way gw2 is a lovely game.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

he is totally 100% right... BUT BUT, what he doesnt say is that some people seriously enjoy things like mowing the lawn of farmed and feeding the cows. Anyone who plays GW2 would agree that even the most simplest jobs are fun to do in GW2.

Not saying its better then WoW.. far from. Reason because GW2 and WoW are both mmorpgs, they are both using a system of skills and talents, but further.. the gameplay feels different, the graphics feel different.. everything feels different. Thus in my opinion these games cant be compared since the feel of the games differs per person. 

atm i enjoy gw2 more, but it doesnt mean WoW is the game i totally left. I still think its awesome as hell to

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112

I have to admit that even as a huge fan of the game, for the Hearts I tend to look for mobs I can kill the hell out of to complete it, rather than picking flowers or whatever.

Of course every now and again there's a more imaginative one involving a disguise or special weapon, and I enjoy those. Oh, and I liked feeding the animals in Lake Gaderon. but generally yeah... it's not that I mind helping on your farm, it's just that I noticed you kinda stand there and watch me do it...

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by timeraider

he is totally 100% right... BUT BUT, what he doesnt say is that some people seriously enjoy things like mowing the lawn of farmed and feeding the cows. Anyone who plays GW2 would agree that even the most simplest jobs are fun to do in GW2.

Exactly!

Why? Because there is diversity.

In most cases you can finish a quest in 3 or 4 different ways so one that doesn't like to kill mobs to finish it can go water plants, feed cows or gather stuff and so on, while others can go kill mobs till they are done or mix it up by doing a little from everything.

GW2 is all about freedom and choice and these types of quests are showing exactly that.

In other mmos you HAVE to go kill 10 rats and go back, then you HAVE to go kill another 20 and again 40 or 80 because if you don't, you can't even progress further in the game while in GW2 you can decide to do a event or a heart quest or not by yourself and even if you don't do these things you can still move on and do other things that are more fun to you.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I feel bad for all those who rushed thru or played it hours a day as they are simply bored now.My highest toon is in the 20s since i play it 1-2 hrs a day weekends only and its so refreshing when i log in.

Hi! Though I mostly just played a few hours and got off since truthfully I got a bit bored/tired of the game after a bit, though in that regard it did extend my playtime a bit. Still, there are plenty of games you can play for hours upon hours for weeks straight and for me, Guildwars 2 was NOT it. Theres just 0 appeal for me even after getting to 80 twice.  Its a pvp game and if you don't like the WvW or the sPvP (which unfunately WvW is a bit of a mess and sPvP just makes me realize how clunky combat can be and makes me wish it was Tera) your not going to like it. 

If they add more 'guild verse guild' type deals (you know GUILD WARS *title*) I think it could be a lot better, otherwise its pvp elements which are its focus are a bit bland and weak. Hopefully they do fine tune it, until they I'll visit it maybe once in a while when I have absolutely zero, but now my games I have to play list is filled with Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, Minecraft Tekkit, Black Mesa, LoL Arams, A Few random Indy Games, and very last GW2. Its there just the lowest priority for me to play. 

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by ElSandman

If a review agress with your own opinion then it is "fair".

If a review disagrees with your own opinion then it is "biased".

At least that is the way it seems to work around here.  I guess by sort of taking the middle ground this one is trying to be the least "biased".

That's why I said in my opinion its the fairest ^^. Should prolly named the title differently I guess .

But what you say is completely true. I just thought that it was a very balanced review in comparison to a lot of the reviews that are glorifying the game or completely trashing it.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Heheh Yahtzee is amusing, but I wouldn't really call his videos "reviews."  They are more like comical rants.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

He made me laugh but in his rant he actually got the game just about right.My 2cp is simple,if you play GW2 non casual you will hate it but if you want a casual mmorpg you pick up and play a little bit,smell the roses and then come back at a later date or pick and mix with your regular mmorpg then GW2 is simply the best out there.Maybe thats why it does not have a sub,since you can come and go as you like without thinking you have wasted your money.I feel bad for all those who rushed thru or played it hours a day as they are simply bored now.My highest toon is in the 20s since i play it 1-2 hrs a day weekends only and its so refreshing when i log in.
    Not only that, but the type of players that want "gear gear gear, must have better gear" don't last long in GW2 either. Those who rushed to 80 must be kicking themselves in the pants now, at least the content you go back to scales you down so you're still playing the game instead of tanking 25 level 5's and laughing about it.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by prpshrt

Dont know how many of you follow yahtzee but he's overly critical of everything.

Never heard of him, and I doubt his review has any more merit than the reviews players post on here.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Kanubis

I have to admit that even as a huge fan of the game, for the Hearts I tend to look for mobs I can kill the hell out of to complete it, rather than picking flowers or whatever.

Of course every now and again there's a more imaginative one involving a disguise or special weapon, and I enjoy those. Oh, and I liked feeding the animals in Lake Gaderon. but generally yeah... it's not that I mind helping on your farm, it's just that I noticed you kinda stand there and watch me do it...

Some times I feed the cows.   Some times I hoe the weeds.   Sometimes I stomp the mobs.  

Since I play a LOT of alts, it really does break up the 'repeat this exact quest the exact same way' monotony that drove me out of SWTOR in a month.  

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    I liked his minecraft one image
  • prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

You're a day late.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365971/Zero-Puncuation-Does-GW2-.html

beat you to it.

Grats! First one to call me out on something I did not notice!!!!

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    He should of done more research before creating a review, one thing I picked up on is that he said he had skill points he collected he didnt need, he obviously didnt know that skill points are used for creating legendries.