Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100% F2P predictions

So how long untill they drop the box price and move to a 100% item mall funded game?

Im guessing they may sell a reduced priced expansion, perhaps bundled with the launch version...but after that im predicting a fully free game.  I dont think the lack of a sub will help this one, i mean its good for a cheap thrill but certainly not worth $60, let alone further expansions.

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by redman875

So how long untill they drop the box price and move to a 100% item mall funded game?

Im guessing they may sell a reduced priced expansion, perhaps bundled with the launch version...but after that im predicting a fully free game.  I dont think the lack of a sub will help this one, i mean its good for a cheap thrill but certainly not worth $60, let alone further expansions.

Maybe reduced price when the first expac hits. Probably never going F2P.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Judging by the success of GW1 and the success of GW2 thus far I fear you are in for an extremely long wait. It seems the majority feel it's worth the $60. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Market is much more saturated than it was back when GW1 launched.  I think we'll see a reduced box price sooner than later.  I don't think the client will become free however.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

you're predicting it wrong...

GW1 still has the same model it did when it first launched (plus the shop), the same will be for GW2... The prices might reduce over time but it'll never go free.

It's ALOT of content you're getting and without any limitations, now asking that for free as well when you're not asked to pay a monthly price or anything similar is just not something I'd expect, ever. They have to earn money to keep the game going... and hey, it's a lot better game than what blizzard turned wow into and they're still asking people for monthly subs + expansion box prices + micro transactions which are overpriced as hell.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by grimal
    Market is much more saturated than it was back when GW1 launched.  I think we'll see a reduced box price sooner than later.  I don't think the client will become free however.

Doubtful they've already sold close to half what GW1 sold in it's life time. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Just like the original it wont be full F2P.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Well, if they've sold over 2 mil copies and are likely pushing 3mil copies..........never?

Why would they? Just like WoW going F2P: no reason to.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Judging by the success of GW1 and the success of GW2 thus far I fear you are in for an extremely long wait. It seems the majority feel it's worth the $60. 

Indeed.

A very long wait, and the cheap thrill remark was a poor bait attempt at best.  I guess if you're a tryhard scrub the game might not be for you, but those of us looking for a competitive PvP environment will be here for the long haul, and there is no shortage of us.

A number of the top rated e-Sports Teams in the world have left other games so they can focus entirely on GW2, because the quality of the experience it brings to the table in this genre is unmatched. If you think that is considered a "cheap thrill" and cannot see the very positive message that sends about the success of the game (and the high quality of the product itself) then I don't even...

It will never be a F2P title, GW1 sold very well for years and so did each of it's expansion packs. GW2 will follow in the same footsteps as it's predecessor.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Saturated with what lol? A bunch of failed MMORPGs struggling to survive?

Yeah, I bet ArenaNet is considering a price drop already based solely on that!

/facepalm

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Problem is that GW1 is a niche game, it has much more complex and diverse combat and skills and the pvp is more of a challange.

This game is a themepark, its competition is all the other games out there but its a simplified zerg version.

Gw1 =/= Gw2 in any way shape or form, ask any gw1 vet they will tell you the pvp is better in gw1 and its why they had played the game so long.

So while i can see the thought process that leads people to think this game will follow the same path as gw1, its a completely different game aside from its name and developer, its appealing mostly to a crowd who thought this was going to be the next major mmorpg and compete head to head with wow (yes i hate that thought process).  Gw1 competed with no one it was its own unique type of thing, which is why people stuck with it so long.  People got behind this game because they thought it was going to be popular not because its fantastic.  Theres a big difference there...the next game the seems to be the popular choice will take these players right out the game, and most will leave when it becomes more apparent that they chose wrong in the popularity contest that has become AAA themeparks.

This game, people are just going to hop to the next big hype game when it comes along, and theres really no form of character attachment , theres no building a legacy guild since theres no guild competition...

I really dont see this one lasting with any form of paywall.

Im not even sure i would really play it if it was free to be honest, theres just no room for games like this anymore.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

they will never go f2p forget it

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

GW1 still is not F2P and you can buy all the chapters in one package. THat is 7 yrs later. There is no way it will become F2P.

Even the ones going 'supposedly' F2P are really only F2P up to a certain lvl and then you have to sub. That IS NOT F2P - that is F2P to entice you to P2P. TOR, Rift, WoW - all are doing that.

I just want to be clear here, i dont like f2p games and typically avoid them.  Im just trying to discuss here peoples thoughts on this game going free...since the hype has peaked and that was really all the game had going for it, hype and a lot of hardcore game defenders.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It will never be free to play, it doesn't have to be. You don't like the game so move on?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Problem is that GW1 is a niche game, it has much more complex and diverse combat and skills and the pvp is more of a challange.

This game is a themepark, its competition is all the other games out there but its a simplified zerg version.

Gw1 =/= Gw2 in any way shape or form, ask any gw1 vet they will tell you the pvp is better in gw1 and its why they had played the game so long.

So while i can see the thought process that leads people to think this game will follow the same path as gw1, its a completely different game aside from its name and developer, its appealing mostly to a crowd who thought this was going to be the next major mmorpg and compete head to head with wow (yes i hate that thought process).  Gw1 competed with no one it was its own unique type of thing, which is why people stuck with it so long.

This game, people are just going to hop to the next big hype game when it comes along, and theres really no form of character attachment , theres no building a legacy guild since theres no guild competition...

Im not even sure i would really play it if it was free to be honest, theres just no room for games like this anymore.

This is a "straw man". The people on this forum need to learn what this is and stop using it.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kost

Saturated with what lol? A bunch of failed MMORPGs struggling to survive?

Yeah, I bet ArenaNet is considering a price drop already based solely on that!

/facepalm

Look at the list of MMOs that exist today as compared to 2005.  There are a few titles coming out that are directly F2P.  So for ANET to want to stay a player, yeah they will have to consider these.

Originally posted by Xzen

So while i can see the thought process that leads people to think this game will follow the same path as gw1, its a completely different game aside from its name and developer, its appealing mostly to a crowd who thought this was going to be the next major mmorpg and compete head to head with wow (yes i hate that thought process).  Gw1 competed with no one it was its own unique type of thing, which is why people stuck with it so long.

This is a "straw man". The people on this forum need to learn what this is and stop using it.

Really your in denial if you think this game follows in the same footsteps of gw1.  Nice use of a buzzword though, might want to apply it in the right context next time.

Simply ignore it, I was going to reply to him but then decided he wasn't looking for actual discussion. First he was looking for those that agreed with him, then tried to "educate" people with assumptions and when that didn't work he tried to say the ones that didn't agree with him are simply hype followers and hardcore game defenders thus should be ignored lol. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

So while i can see the thought process that leads people to think this game will follow the same path as gw1, its a completely different game aside from its name and developer, its appealing mostly to a crowd who thought this was going to be the next major mmorpg and compete head to head with wow (yes i hate that thought process).  Gw1 competed with no one it was its own unique type of thing, which is why people stuck with it so long.  People got behind this game because they thought it was going to be popular not because its fantastic.  Theres a big difference there...the next game the seems to be the popular choice will take these players right out the game, and most will leave when it becomes more apparent that they chose wrong in the popularity contest that has become AAA themeparks.

Generalizations are always wrong...Im a GW1 vet, played a ton of pvp and I love the pvp in GW2. I agree pvp is the reason I played GW1 for so long, its probably the reason why Ill play GW2 for long as well. But, I imagine you will come back and say Im an exception cause you know a lot of people and seen a lot of messages blah blah....

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Simply ignore it, I was going to reply to him but then decided he wasn't looking for actual discussion. First he was looking for those that agreed with him, then tried to "educate" people with assumptions and when that didn't work he tried to say the ones that didn't agree with him are simply hype followers and hardcore game defenders thus should be ignored lol. 

The part I highlighted is a straw man. He made up a position that maybe some but not even close to all of us that like GW2 have then proceeded to refute that position. I and many others never thought that GW2 would go head to head with WoW or be the "next major mmorpg".

Edit: Were you talking to me or redman?

Really your in denial if you think this game follows in the same footsteps of gw1.  Nice use of a buzzword though, might want to apply it in the right context next time.

That's why it's a straw man. The highlighted part does not represent my position at all.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Nice spot  +10, very informative link aswell.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    Why would they drop the price you pay once and literally never have to pay again. Everything in the cash shop you can earn in days time free.If you really wanted to upgrade to the deluxe edition you could do that in less then a month of farming. I think its more or less people cheap then the need to lower the price on it.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

What is this garbage?  So you don't like the game, your predicitons are going to leave you disappointed if you think they're ever going to go F2P.  The majority seems just fine with the $60 price tag, myself included.  It's lasted me longer than the overrated Skyrim already.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It IS a free to play game. Not only did they do an awesome job of convincing you it isn't, they got you to spend $60 for a free game in the process. To be clear, I have no problem with the box price or the business model. I definitely admire the way it was marketed. My amusement is with the people that so vehemently defend a stance that defies all logic simply because of their burning hatred for F2P.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre