Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would this game have been better with a trinity? [Poll]

2»

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    OMG, LF Tank, LF Healer, again? No Sir! Never again, Sir! Better to quit MMO's if it's all Trinity Sir!

imageimage
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I am not a fan of the trinity system but it feels better than whatever is in GW 2 which seems focused on everyone doing DPS with a sprinkle of utility/heal on the side.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Is it only me who sees Guardian as a tank/supporter and not actually DPSer?

Or elementalist as being a healer? Or at least capable of doing so

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Only you :P Yes, guardian have many defensive abilities. Hammer allow you to keep in check players/npc for 5 seconds and deal huge amount of damage or trap them (you can live circle yourself). Shields and stuff like that also helps. Summons are usefull. 

But on the other hand, scepter have nice AOE that can be easly combined wih other stuff. Burning circle can be combined with leap from great sword (4rd skill) and will trigger burning shield (combo) that will burn everyone around you. Also skill 2 have small AOE that damage enemies and give you bonus. 

So when I'm in "DPS MODE" I teleport (skill) and burn enemies. Catch them in circle (hammer) and switch to great sword.

I put up burning circle+leap to trigger combo that burn enemies even more + another DoT circle (skill 2 greatsword). Then skill 3 to deal damage to everyone in circle.

Whole thing last around 5s. In that time I deal HUGE amount od damage. After 5s I switch to hammer and hit what didn't run away once hammer circle (skill 5) is down. 

Somewhere in the middle I fire 3 supoprt skills we have (F1-F3) for more burn, regeneration and shield.

It's great in PVP and if I have ranger support we can do insane damage. In PVE I fight against 3-5 mobs on my lvl and lvl above without problems at all. They hardly heat me. First of all we have aegis shield from the start. Then we have another under F3. We have great gap closer in skill tree (long range teleport + burn). For aftermatch I have transformation into a bear that increasae my attack power but that for special ocasion.

My guardian is great as DPS. Tanking too is very good. For that I use most of the time Hammer / Scepter+Focus (hammer for trapping enemy for 5s and AOE damage). I use all shielding I can use and ofcourse dodging is important. I put my traits into vitality since HP pool of Guardian is not so high after all. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

People complained for 8 years that all we were getting is trinity based WoW clones, and now that we get something different, the same people complain too... go figure.

Nope, GW2 is fine without the trinity. The abscence if it is actually a big breath of fresh air.

The "dungeon problem" has nothing to do with the trinity or it's lack of. Proof being some fights are very well done and not "zergish" at all (for instance Sorrow's Embrace). The fights simply need to be tweaked, nothing more... and also, 50% of the problem comes from the players refusing to "learn to play" the new way.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by dariuszp

Only you :P Yes, guardian have many defensive abilities. Hammer allow you to keep in check players/npc for 5 seconds and deal huge amount of damage or trap them (you can live circle yourself). Shields and stuff like that also helps. Summons are usefull. 

But on the other hand, scepter have nice AOE that can be easly combined wih other stuff. Burning circle can be combined with leap from great sword (4rd skill) and will trigger burning shield (combo) that will burn everyone around you. Also skill 2 have small AOE that damage enemies and give you bonus. 

So when I'm in "DPS MODE" I teleport (skill) and burn enemies. Catch them in circle (hammer) and switch to great sword.

I put up burning circle+leap to trigger combo that burn enemies even more + another DoT circle (skill 2 greatsword). Then skill 3 to deal damage to everyone in circle.

Whole thing last around 5s. In that time I deal HUGE amount od damage. After 5s I switch to hammer and hit what didn't run away once hammer circle (skill 5) is down. 

Somewhere in the middle I fire 3 supoprt skills we have (F1-F3) for more burn, regeneration and shield.

It's great in PVP and if I have ranger support we can do insane damage. In PVE I fight against 3-5 mobs on my lvl and lvl above without problems at all. They hardly heat me. First of all we have aegis shield from the start. Then we have another under F3. We have great gap closer in skill tree (long range teleport + burn). For aftermatch I have transformation into a bear that increasae my attack power but that for special ocasion.

My guardian is great as DPS. Tanking too is very good. For that I use most of the time Hammer / Scepter+Focus (hammer for trapping enemy for 5s and AOE damage). I use all shielding I can use and ofcourse dodging is important. I put my traits into vitality since HP pool of Guardian is not so high after all. 

I prefer 2 hand sword (Like sword look), but find the abilities lacking in PvP

Also, he gets killed lots faster than a warrior etc.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    I prefer 2 hand sword (Like sword look), but find the abilities lacking in PvP

Also, he gets killed lots faster than a warrior etc.

I would like to disagree with you. Lack of HP shows but this is why I invest in Vitality some points. On the other hand I played warrior before guardian ( i switched on lvl 50 ) and I clearle see that my guardian have higher damage output and it's suited to fight with large amount of enemies.

And since in PVP you hardly have any 1vs1 scenerio - I like my Guardian there too. I just teleport in the middle (bad ass skill) and output as much damage around me as I can. On "goodbye" I draw circle with my sword and dodge out while rangers can put their AOE on that area.

This is style that me and my friends use. We travel in groups in PVP. Guardians in front (because we can teleport in front of enemy). Engineers just behind to slow them down while our job is to trap them (hammer). Warriors and thieves jump in right after we start. No one can escape for 5s and because of that warriors and thieves have free meal. 

Turrets should be in place at this point and 3 rangers should drop AOE on their ass.

It's just insane tactic for sPVP where we have lot of choke points for a trap. WvsW have lot of open areas so it's hard to do something like that. There we and warriors just jump in and fight with rangers/elementalist AOE as support. We have instant gap closer. Warriors have leap. Tieves have shadow step.

You should see yesterday look on enemy face when 9 of us jump a group in sPVP. They were running around as usual and just in one second ground around them light up and all hell break loose. This is part I like the most. Because teleport is INSTANT, we always catch everone on guard. Most of the time they are dead before they realize what happen.   

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

There are a billion games out there with the trinity. Why is everyone so intent on turning the only one without it into the same old garbage that we all wanted a change from?

No wonder this genre has gotten so stale.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Looks like No Wins. Im not the only one who doesnt wants to wait hours on end for a group or making a boring class just to get into dungeons...
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I love it the way it is. There's something nice about being able to look through my weapons and skills and select a whole range of tools to do the various jobs I'll need as I come across them. I forget completely about trying to play a role and instead watch what's happening around me and respond accordingly. For example, in WvW I may see ranged attackers on the walls and pop a bubble around them, taking a moment to bask in the warm glow of satisfaction as their own attacks turn on them, leaving them in a downed and startled state where they stood. (Yes, main main is a mesmer.) Then seeing allies having to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous enemies as they break the door down I'll toss a null field around them to ease their pains. A group takes the fight directly to us, nothing like a chaos storm to add to the ... well, chaos..., then flip to a greatsword, swing it in a mighty arc (as only mesmers can do with flair) and watch a group of foes enjoy something we in the profession refer to as "hang time". Of course, it's a brief hang time which is followed by bouncy bouncy time, but it's worth it.

Basically, without the trinity and without roles in particular combat is so much more than you find in a trinity based game. Balance and versatility add dimensions you simply don't find elsewhere. These days, the only Trinity I'd be interested in was already grabbed by Neo and I refuse to sleep with anyone that slept with Keanu Reeves.

I have standards.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by observer
    In my opinion, yes, but only for dungeons.  Maybe i don't have enough dungeon experience, but it seems to me that dungeons were designed for the trinity setup, instead of a non-trinity system.

i've been running explorables for several weeks now and i am completely loving it without the trinity. i've been doing them with both my engineer and my guardian and i have to say that what really matters the most is how you cooperate with your team. you guys dont even have to be the best players out there you just have to be willing to analyze the situation and think things through. fast ressing, blocking projectiles and attacks, CC's, properly dodging, making use of the terrain and interactable objects, are key to victory.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• kpshyaznkpshyazn Member Posts: 11

Personally, lack of trinity is totally fine.  What I do miss, are CC-pulls =(

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think trinity restricted to hard classes like say wow would not have worked (or even via respecs like swtor), would kinda go against the easy grouping philosophy of the game.

Now having trinity, but no classes and letting people shuffle their spells in use on the fly when out of combat, like tsw or (sort of) eve. That would probably work just as well. It's good that the game has easy grouping, but you can achieve it in other ways than droping the trinity - as done by the likes of tsw, coh and to a lesser degree rift.

Dropping the trinity helps some aspects of the game (easy grouping), but I don't think its the most important thing gw2 brings to the table, they are the return of the sense of exploration and the return of good themepark pvp, after what a 10 + year gap.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

The Trinity is gone from GW2...just like a significant part of it's playerbase.

What remains is non-trinity game play and people who prefer that gameplay. So I would say it would not be better if there was a trinity. You can never please everyone. So the developers made a choice and stuck with it. Which is a good. Now it gives people a choice: Play or not play.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Psychow

The Trinity is gone from GW2...just like a significant part of it's playerbase.

What remains is non-trinity game play and people who prefer that gameplay. So I would say it would not be better if there was a trinity. You can never please everyone. So the developers made a choice and stuck with it. Which is a good. Now it gives people a choice: Play or not play.

Lol, and where did you get these facts from? No wait, don't tell me, xfire?

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I think the Trinity system is still good to use as long as the companies create mechanics good enough to make it interesting. However most companies use the copy/paste approach from previous titles with little deviation. GW2 would have been Rift 2 if they utilized the same class role system.

Bring me uniqueness over the Trinity system any day of the week.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I like playing a support role, very occasionally dps but mostly support and sometimes tank, so thankfully I don't have to be pigonholed into a specific class to do that. In other games, you have to pick a warrior or guardian or paladin or enchanter to tank or a cleric to heal. In GW2 I can pick I'm most comfortable with and go with it, my necromancer is my fulltime tank (albeit a tad buggy) rather than being forced to roll a melee class to tank like the millions of other RPG games out there.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

GW2 would have been Rift 2 if they utilized the same class role system.

And thankfully, it's NOT Rift 2.

Originally posted by Wakygreek

Bring me uniqueness over the Trinity system any day of the week.

Ditto :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• At this point the poll won't mean much.  Ask it again in a year.

Right now I have seen groups in WvW pull turtle maneuvers that let them take tons of damage.  The people who want a trinity are often people who simply do not understand the potential of many combinations. 

As these thigns become better know this poll will get down to 10-15% for trinity.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    If you want GW2 to be like other games - you want the trinity. If you don't like the trinity - then you want to keep GW2 like it is.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Originally posted by gessekai332
    Originally posted by observer In my opinion, yes, but only for dungeons.  Maybe i don't have enough dungeon experience, but it seems to me that dungeons were designed for the trinity setup, instead of a non-trinity system.
    i've been running explorables for several weeks now and i am completely loving it without the trinity. i've been doing them with both my engineer and my guardian and i have to say that what really matters the most is how you cooperate with your team. you guys dont even have to be the best players out there you just have to be willing to analyze the situation and think things through. fast ressing, blocking projectiles and attacks, CC's, properly dodging, making use of the terrain and interactable objects, are key to victory.

This is reassuring. I'm 60 now, and leveled almost exclusively through WvW. I haven't run a single dungeon, but there seem to be nothing but complaints about them, and how difficult/zergy they are.

Good to know they might not be as bad as they sound.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Size-Twelve

Originally posted by gessekai332

Originally posted by observer In my opinion, yes, but only for dungeons.  Maybe i don't have enough dungeon experience, but it seems to me that dungeons were designed for the trinity setup, instead of a non-trinity system.

This is reassuring. I'm 60 now, and leveled almost exclusively through WvW. I haven't run a single dungeon, but there seem to be nothing but complaints about them, and how difficult/zergy they are.

Good to know they might not be as bad as they sound.

The problem that the people complaining about dont seem to notice is that they are not complaining about the dungeons per se but the transition from open world to dungeons.

The open world is relatively easy(at least in comparison to dungeons) so entering suddenly to dungeons is like  smacking you in the face because suddenly a lot of things you have ignored or didnt even know existed  suddenly are relevant. Like for example combos, the use of food and timing your skills.

This lack of practice makes the dungeons seem harder than they are or be percieved as zergfests.