Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oceanic or Asian server?

I heard some time back that Darkfall was going to have an Asian server that was most likely going to be f2p. I also understood that the game itself was not going to be DF2 but more like the original DF (now, Unholy Wars). Is that true?  Is there more info on the Asian server? Is AV still going to do that with their Korean partners?

As I live in Asia, ping is a big issue for me in DF.  When they moved the server from the US west coast, my ping jumped quite a bit.  I know this is an issue for Oceanic players, as well.  

If the Asian server is placed in Korea, it will be great for me in some ways, but I'd rather play Unholy Wars than some f2p version of the original game.  Also, an Korean server wouldn't do too much for Australian players with regard to ping, as far as I could tell. I say this because when I played SWTOR on the Australian servers, I found I had better ping to the west coast of the US. I don't know the tech details of this and the variables involved, obviously.

Any news?

Comments

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

SWTOR had/has aussie servers...I didnt know that...interesting.

May have to try it when its ftp to see how the other half of the world lives.

---

No news on Oceanic/Asian servers as yet.

Me I would be happy just with a west coast US server again.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Spool1Spool1 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    They announced there would be an asian server a long time ago.
  • WhisperXIIIWhisperXIII Member Posts: 33
    The game is being localized for Asian/Oceanic audiences. There will be an Asian server. No word yet as to regional restrictions. To date, there has been no restriction on NA or EU players as to which server they could play on, and character transfers between the two servers have been open for years. There has been no indication from AV that this will change.

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by marcust

SWTOR had/has aussie servers...I didnt know that...interesting.

May have to try it when its ftp to see how the other half of the world lives.

---

No news on Oceanic/Asian servers as yet.

Me I would be happy just with a west coast US server again.

I fully agree with this, but I don't see it happening. But I hope it does happen because I want to play on a US server if possible.

Maybe their "new technology" will make it better for players living further away.  

It's going to be hard to "localize" an Asian/Oceanic server, unless localize means "physically locate" it here. That still presents lag problems because of the northern to southern hemisphere distance, as I mentioned when I talked about the SWTOR servers that physically located in Australia having a higher ping to Korea than servers located on the US west coast.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Supposedly what is happening is DF2 will be played in the Western world, and DF1 will become a f2p grinder for the Asian market.
  • NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by 7star

Also, an Korean server wouldn't do too much for Australian players with regard to ping, as far as I could tell. I say this because when I played SWTOR on the Australian servers, I found I had better ping to the west coast of the US.

Well considering that there won't be a west coast server (it's in Chicago), Australians would have a better ping on the Asian server.