Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Become a Combat Master

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet's Jonathan Sharp is now on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch.tv channel hosting a combat mastery session. The event will go over all of the basics as well as how he creates a character build with consideration for weapons, skills, stats and traits.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• combat basics class so far.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    maybe it will be interesting for new players but for me.. I almost fall asleep watching it for 5 min. Staying in 1 place, fighting the same mobs..
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Haha Qsatu. You just described my first years of MMO gaming with EQ1...only it was for hours at a time and it was called "camping." Ahh, the good old days.

Joined - July 2004

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    ...but... the combat in GW2 isn't even that complex at all... and you use the same skills from level 1 to 80 and its basically the same thing repeated over and over... how could you NOT master it by then?
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    ^^ that's the problem I have with GW2 as well, that's why I can't level a toon past 30 before I'm bored
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    ^^ that's the problem I have with GW2 as well, that's why I can't level a toon past 30 before I'm bored
    Obviously you in noway have finished beyond AC dungeon if that-  or your personal story= which is EPIC by the time you hit 80, and NO MMO has acomplished that  till now.
    and its apparent you have not unlocked 75% of your skills.

..so, this may not be the game for you- but its FAR from Boring.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Btw GW2 has the same skills available in number as wow and rift. The difference here is you cant have them all on the same bar or at once. But feel free to count your attack skills active and passive. And count how many you have in those games. You will see the numbers not that different. I think people more dupe themselves not being used to a limited bar and choices on said bar.

Both wow and rift had base skills for each class that never change all the way to max. Samething is the case here only it doesnt have a bunch of tool bars hiding it.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    ...but... the combat in GW2 isn't even that complex at all... and you use the same skills from level 1 to 80 and its basically the same thing repeated over and over... how could you NOT master it by then?

Abviously either you come from past cookie cutter mmos, and apply your play style onto your  GW2 character , or your havent reached lvl80- and presuming what you think you do in this game for combat.

Iam not gonna say your playing wrong=caouse the beauty of this mmo is there are multyple ways to use your character in combat- but you may wanna try a different angle to playing him/her.

I respect comments that are justified- but not presumed.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    if you think combat is not complex in gw2, you are extremely wrong. this is coming from an avid pvper from all sorts of games lineage 2, aion, rift, aoc, warhammer online, league of legends, gw1.    

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Haha Qsatu. You just described my first years of MMO gaming with EQ1...only it was for hours at a time and it was called "camping." Ahh, the good old days.

Camping wasen't that bad with a good group and some good chain pulls.

More social interaction then moste games these days. This way you also had to learn where your chars and your group members limit to be moste efficient, with no down time and stady pulls.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Ok I know you guys are upset that this isn't GW1 with 50+ skills for each class, but seriously, come on.  GW1 was a clusterfudge of a combat system.  The reason I didn't ever pick it up and stick with it after the second expansion was because there was just too many skills.  Now I'm not really trying to compare a video game to real life, but if you think about it, if you were fighting in real life, would really do much more than a few different moves to gain an advantage over your opponent?  How many different skills do you need to kill a mob?  If you're finding it boring, then you're racing to the end and aren't really playing the game for what it is.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    GW2 starts as a button mush but evolves into a complex combat system. To say otherwise most likely means you never did a dungeon or PvP. Enjoyed Wow back in the day but you really do use the same skills over and over there.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Yeah, that is nothing new. It even enforces the wrong impression about GW2 combat more. Most of the comments I read about GW2 combat are from players that apparently only played some low lvl PVE and some zergfest DE's. In mass zerg events, you just spam AOE, don't swap weapons and barely have to move. This is what makes GW2 combat seem so simple. When they are on their own, they die all the time, getting the impression that GW2 PVE is zerg or die (and dungeons are assumed to be zerg and respawn).

They should create a video with explanation about combo fields and how much they can make a difference when putting them to efficient use.And some good utility/trait combinations to show how effective certain protection can be. In dungeons for example or the more difficult areas in the game. Because at the moment many players think that dungeons are just zerg and respawn experiences. Even in story mode lol. In that case you are actually playing it wrong.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Ive seen a lot of people comment about the combo fields in dungeons. Makes me curious to try it.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by freston
    Ive seen a lot of people comment about the combo fields in dungeons. Makes me curious to try it.

Combo fields are an integral part of the game, period.

Not just in dungeons, you should be learning what they do and how to utilize them to the best of your ability. Anyone who doesn't possess that knowledge is significantly gimping the efficiency of there character.

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    Drop us link to youtube video of this mmorpg kthxbai.
  • YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29
    Combat system and skills in gw2 are bad and boring ..
    I uninstall this boring game from time
    The ball was in Anet side we spent alot of money and they sold many keys but i think 5 years are not enough to them to make a game or maby they want that style of game
    Any way idc i am done
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    if you think combat is not complex in gw2, you are extremely wrong. this is coming from an avid pvper from all sorts of games lineage 2, aion, rift, aoc, warhammer online, league of legends, gw1.    

Have you played Tera? I enjoyed that combat system much more than I do GW2 at this point. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Why do you make it sound like a bad thing?

The more you practice the more you learn. Repeating something = mastery of said thing. GW2's combat evolves but, you won't see it until you play PvP and see what Traits and Runes can do to COMPLETELY change your build from generic Engineer 1 to not so generic Engineer 2.0

This is not a game.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Which is why I stick it out and see for myself. I've got nothing to lose anyhow.
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

Because unlike most MMO's there is not an alpha strategy where you pretty much press the same 6 buttons in a specific order over and over again, so most MMO'ers are bad at combat in GW2.  Being good at combat in GW2 is about movement in battle, dodges, skill combos, weapon shifts.

Sure during bosses you revert back to basic skill progression but if your just doing a continualy rinse and repeat skill progression your either playing a shitty class i havent tried or you haven't mastered combat at all.

There is one exception and thats if your play a stealth field thief which is just face roll right now but that will get nerfed quickly enough.

• lugnutusalugnutusa Member Posts: 8

I loved the combat in Asheron's Call as a melee character, and my attack choices there were basically limited to "attack high/low/medium" and "attack fast/medium/slow".

The reason it was great was because it was all about positioning and reaction - you position yourself so that your shield was always between you and the enemy, and if you were facing off against casters you watched their animations so you could dodge the spells entirely.

Combat in GW2 so far has been great - just enough options with all your weapon choices so that you have a variety of ways to deal with enemies, but not the overwhelming number of (frequently redundant or useless) skills found in GW1.  Add in the ability to dodge or interrupt at key moments and combat becomes a tactical affair where you can often overcome the odds just by playing the right strategy.