Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would this game have been better with a trinity? [Poll]

Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Just curious. If GW2 was the same game it is now, but you added a trinity model to the combat system (tank, healer, DPS), would it be a better game in your opinion?

Comments

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Already a thread about this .. doubt we need a poll as well :)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    No it's great as is.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    In my opinion, yes, but only for dungeons.  Maybe i don't have enough dungeon experience, but it seems to me that dungeons were designed for the trinity setup, instead of a non-trinity system.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Negative, sir.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

You can spec out your character to mimic the Trinity. I can make a huge difference.  There are armor sets, runes, traits and so on, for this. 

The problem comes with the contribition formulas so most people just go pure DPS for loot.

Another issue is that world PvE is so incredibly easy that more and more poeple are fitting magic find sets to farm out their legendary prereqs.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Better without the trinity.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    You have been playing it wrong.
  • EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37
    No trinity what makes GW2 unique and seperate the game from the rest, otherwise it would be no different between playing GW2 with RIFT or WAR.
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    the game wouldn't be as good as it is now if it had trinity, so please no trinity....

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    why would we need anotehr EQ clone? You have WoW, EQ2, SWToR, LoTRO, AOC...the list goes on and on

I miss DAoC

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    If we had trinity we wouldn't have this much complaints from bewildered people who just can't grasp how to do difficult encounters without zerg ressing. Everyone would automatically become familiar with strategies and that's not as fun. Plus there's a plethora of MMOs out there that uses the Holy Trinity.
  • amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    If we had trinity we wouldn't have this much complaints from bewildered people who just can't grasp how to do difficult encounters without zerg ressing. Everyone would automatically become familiar with strategies and that's not as fun. Plus there's a plethora of MMOs out there that uses the Holy Trinity.

IMHO, being the Holy Trinity for the entire game is not fun either. Sometime when I raid, I don't want to stick the same duty all the time. However, I am agree that Dungeon in GW2 is too zerg, it should require more strategies to conquest the dungeon. But again, I can see ANet can improve it better without using the Holy Trinity back to the game as a solution.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

No, GW2 would not be better with a trinity.

Just like other games would not be better without. This gives players a choice. I am glad GW2 is different, I am glad TSW's, progression setting are different. Good for both games. 

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by amadeuz
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

IMHO, being the Holy Trinity for the entire game is not fun either. Sometime when I raid, I don't want to stick the same duty all the time. However, I am agree that Dungeon in GW2 is too zerg, it should require more strategies to conquest the dungeon. But again, I can see ANet can improve it better without using the Holy Trinity back to the game as a solution.

Oh just to clarify before it gets out of hand: I'm not saying playing with a Holy Trinity in place isn't as fun. I enjoy both types. What I'm saying is that it's fun to read complaint threads from people who can't absorb the GW2 system yet. :)

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    without the holy trinity you are left with soloing zerg rubbish like GW2
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    I love the non trinity system in the open world, the PvP and the leveling up portion but am not a huge fan of it in dungeon gameplay.  So in a sense I think some form of trinity would be nice.  IMO I think the best solution would be to increase the tankiness and survivablity of the dungeon NPC's so in a sense each of them would be playing the roll of tank to an extent.  Other then that keep the same amount of chaos and user awareness as now but being one-shot or running around wildly when you get agro is not very fun.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

I am torn on the issue. To an extent I think they should have made some sort of spec tree or something to allow players to focus on specialties but at the same time I like the option to be self relient.

Tough call imo.

• AlusciaAluscia Member UncommonPosts: 39

I really wanted to like the departure from the norm. It was refreshing to see that everyone got a heal and people were expected to actively try to avoid damage.

With the way the dungeons were designed, however, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. There are too many mobs all trying to kill you simultaneously to avoid much damage, and the healing in the game simply isn't plentiful or reliable enough to keep up. Add an (as of yet) incomprehensible aggro system in, and you have chaos. Combo fields were interesting, but ultimately just added a bit of "stand here and spam your attacks" to the game that already is... spam your attacks.

I think a Trinity-like setup could have made the PvE experience a lot more familiar and enjoyable.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Where I personally stand right now:

Tanking

I'd like to see some defensive oriented specs get 3 second "taunts," kind of the like Rammus or Shen in League of Legends, but no permanent aggro holding mechanic.  This would allow players to relish the tanky aggro holding mechanic to feel like they have a place in GW2 (and yes, this is a major deterrent for some people; and no, the appropriate response isn't just "well they should go play another game then.)  This would fit perfectly within GW2's combat system.  I'm aware there are several pull-target-to-you spells, but half the mobs you would most want to use these on are immune.  I don't think a traditional hard (brief) taunt would be out of place.

Control

I'd like to see some harder CC, the kind that was a necessity during vanilla WoW.  This would allow for more strategic trash pulls and give players a greater sense of control over what's happening.  The point wouldn't be to make CC, and therefore players, stronger or for this to be a nerf to dungeons, but to allow for more complex fights, to be able to strategically reduce the chaos to a point slightly below what exists now amidst what would otherwise be even more potential chaos than there is now.  This would actually increase the difficulty, raise the skill bar a little, and greatly reduce the redundancy of many of the pulls in between bosses--which I will admit tend to be few.  Both of my first 2 suggestions aim at placing a bit more control in the hands of the players, because the sum of current control (slows, snares, knockbacks) = endless kiting.  I think kiting is a great mechanic, but right now it's pretty much the sole technique available, and it does begin to feel redundant.  

Healing

I'm pretty fine with healing right now.  I play a power/toughness/healing power support based staff elementalist, and I can actually feel the effect I'm having on my group sustainability (though barely compared to healing classes in most MMOs--I can't always tell whether their health is going up as a result of my heals or their own devices).  But I love that I actively DPS and CC in the mix.  To not do so would be an utter waste 80% of my skills and time.  I would never want to trade that for gameplay where I must stand back and heal nonstop, because if I do stop, someone dies, ensuring that I never can effectively get involved in damage or control.   

General assessment

After playing and clearing about 20 explorable modes, 3 things have become apparent to me.  First, there's something thrilling about the chaos and perpetual state of panic involved in GW2's combat.  Dodge rolling, casting while moving, resurrecting downed players, and yes, the chaos, all combine to create an exciting combat atmosphere.  Second, the chaos can lead to a feeling of lack of control; and sometimes, even after you pull through and emerge victorious, you can't always identify what it was that made you succeed.  The player is left feeling only vaguely responsible for winning, which is less than ideal.  Third, not having the trinity seems to have noticeably restricted the types of possible encounters.  While I couldn't accurately call GW2 encounters "tank and spank," I would say that more than a good handfull of fights can be classified as "kite, dodge and spank."  But actually yes, there are in fact some bosses that are so weak and seemingly broken that they do become good ol' fashion tank 'n spank.  

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    nope, trinity is .. mostly .. gone from gw2 and in my opinion for the best
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Size-Twelve

Just curious. If GW2 was the same game it is now, but you added a trinity model to the combat system (tank, healer, DPS), would it be a better game in your opinion?

Only for retards that need to be told what to do. For everyone else it should be fine since you can pick up any role you want.

People just need to remember two things:

1. Tank in this game is not a punching bag that stand between monsters and get hit over and over while healer heal him. You must do active tanking. So take aggro, put up all shields, css and whatever else you have, kit a little and dodge. So it's not something for retards because their idea of tanking is to stay still, taunt mobs and let healer heal him.

2. Healers are not freaking miracle makers that can heal instantly a guy who just got hit by a broadsword size of small building. You can help but you are not someone who can keep alive entire team while eating snacks and drinking coffe. 

• KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112

The Trinity exists, just with all elements within each character and the inability to stick to one all the time. Once you start balancing your ability to kill, control and grant the right boons it feels quite natural. Oh, and only evade on the big attacks instead of blowing on every little hit. 

Although like that guy further up the page, while I'd opposed to pure tanks I wouldn't say no to snap taunts that can attract the enemy for a very brief period - enough to allow the player they were targeting a second ago to reposition or get a couple of ticks of endurance so they can dodge again. So not an actual tanking mechanic as much as a control mechanic. 

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    No trinity and never again.
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

Yeah I love the lack of trinity.

It's the best innovation in the gaming industry, and the best innovation ever (second only to Sarcastaball).

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

The game has Trinity.

Move along people. Nothing to see here.