Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have some good news and some bad news.

1235»

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by ElSandman
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Ok it does look like the server online populations are reflected in these "statuses" as they are currently showing 3 medium, and the rest high, none full.

Still, since we have no idea what the actual numbers are from these statuses, the best trend information we have is still provided by Xfire.

Still showing exactly 3 medium and the rest high.  Dubious this information is updated regularly, tbh.

The USA servers proved you wrong last night. Do you really want to keep playing a game you lost so badly?  What is dubious is every statement you make, and you have been shown to be wrong nearly every time. At this point your credibility score is low.

[mod edit] today thee US servers show 3 medium and all the rest high, zero on full capacity (just like it did at 4am) - does this show a drop in concurrent users?  [mod edit]

Try answering the question, instead of the personnal attack.  Does your yardstick show a drop in online users or not?

The question is absurd. It has no answer since anything I say you deny and anything you say has dubious honesty issues. That said there is no reason to continue debating. You have your POV and I am not flexible enough to see things from it. Have a day.

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

Try answering the question, instead of the personnal attack.  Does your yardstick show a drop in online users or not?

The question is absurd. It has no answer since anything I say you deny and anything you say has dubious honesty issues. That said there is no reason to continue debating. You have your POV and I am not flexible enough to see things from it. Have a day.

Nothing absurd about the question.  You resort to personnal attacks whenever you are losing an argumment.  Try debating with actual facts rather than this other stuff - you may be surprised how far it can take you.

• EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37
    The reason why until now most of the servers still full is because 50% of the total population has been replaced by Gold Farmers and Botters, while the original 50% of the population has already quit to play Panda.
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Evokerz
    The reason why until now most of the servers still full is because 50% of the total population has been replaced by Gold Farmers and Botters, while the original 50% of the population has already quit to play Panda.

Nope. If there was no one to sell to the gold farmers would leave. They are only in games where they can make a profit.

Oddly enough I ran into a group of them last night. All dressed alike, all had the same pet, all were rangers and all had names like Mmhhgeglli.

• darklordacedarklordace Member UncommonPosts: 14
    You all i swear. The haters and moots just sit here hoping a game will fail when in fact the game thrives. If you dont like it dont play or comment grow the fuck up mmorpg community you all are usless moots. 
  • RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I only came across botters twice in the little over a month the game has been active (with headstart included since if you go by the release date tomorrow is the first month).

That was however like 3 weeks ago.

Also came across a few gold farmers that were immediately reported by others and me so they dissappeared.

So if you consider 4 people I saw botting and like 10-12 gold announcements I came across being half of the population that would mean that my server has only 32 people on it in overall right?

Even if you would go by it with other servers or count the times I wasn't online (though the first days and even later when I had free days I partially was literally 24 hours in the game sometimes) I doubt it would had been THAT many(unlike many other mmos).

As about your little panda, I have sad news for you cause it doesn't seem to be doing THAT well, nor interest as many people as you think it did.

Know many people in real life and also have guildies as also came across people that were talking about it in the map chat (yesterday again) and it sounds as if even wow or ex-wow players partially doesn't care about it.

The german amazons bestseller games list had GW2 on top for several weeks across all plattforms.

After ANet stopped selling it, it dropped down to rank 9 across all plattforms and rank 3 in pc games in which it still is.

Your little panda went up to number 1 under pc selling games for like a week and 4th place across all plattforms.

It already dropped at the 2nd place under the pc games (GW2 is still 3rd after over a month) with Fifa 2012 being number one.

Across all plattforms it already dropped to the 5th place and drops even further (GW2 is still at the 9th place solid) while Fifa 2012 has taken over across all plattforms as number 1 aswell.

Give it another week or two and recheck then you'll see the Pandas dissappearing in the mists they came from.

Quite sure that it's similar in other lands aswell since I heard similar reports from US people and others too that said that MoP didn't do as well as expected.

Not that I really care if people play it or not cause everyone that enjoys it should play it and have fun with it.

Just wanted to show you how wrong you actually are and how badly your attempt to poison this part of the forums failed.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Game is still doing really well no matter how people spin it. It is also common knowledge that populations on every GW2 server has been increased since launch and most of the servers that were previously "full" are now "high", ect. Not to say that the amount of time people are playing the game has not decreased, because it certainly has. The game has been out a month and most people don't play new games longer then they do initially. It only makes sense for user activity to go down. Alot of people are checking out MoP, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 2 as well. The great part about this is that none of this actually matters. As long as GW2 servers have a healthy population (which they obviously do exceed that) and ArenaNet continues to support the game; GW2 will have a bright future.  People can hop in and come back any time they want since there is no sub, so its going to be a very very long time until the servers start dying down. ArenaNet was smart by having REALLY HIGH server caps and limiting the number of servers to a reasonable amount to prevent future server merges as well as having technology to prevent them from having to do it. 

Its going to be hard to compare this game to sub-based games honestly. Start talking about the game's bad future when we start hearing about layoffs and server merges. Maybe when they stop talking about...you know... hiring people. Not something they would be doing if they had any doubts right now. 

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Volkon

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

How is that good news? wasn't every server full/high in the first weeks? Also on xfire (which can't be manipulated by Anet) gw2 is pretty much tanking (from 93k hours to 51.5k in 3 weeks, and before mop came out). Even SWTOR had better player retention 1 month after its release.

36k (24/09/12) and dropping. if you think its a non sub game its dramatic.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

I've stopped  playing not because of any reason to do with the game its just that I am completely burnt out on MMO's ... I mean I love Guild Wars 2 to death and will play it when i have more motivation to do so. I haven't even been tempted to play MOP so its nothing to do with the game.  I've moved into my ARPG's and RPG's. No multiplayer just me and a massive world for me to explore, and play as i want.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    It does matter to some extent how busy it is as the Nageling Giant who keeps turning up in Diessa Plateau very often is not going to go away until it is killed. The town is out of bounds as the repair guy, merchants all are dead and even if revived will not try to do any business. For the events which were supposed to change how MMORPGs are supposed to be previously they sure do repeat the events far too often and what is more it is annoying. The events repeat very often and is boring that way and I think in some ways Rift did it better where the towns are available after a time  when not enough people are playing. I just find it frustrating two people cannot kill the giant so it just stays there. It should scale to allow two people to kill it if no one else is about.
    Chamber of Chains
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Raekon

I only came across botters twice in the little over a month the game has been active (with headstart included since if you go by the release date tomorrow is the first month).

That was however like 3 weeks ago.

Also came across a few gold farmers that were immediately reported by others and me so they dissappeared.

So if you consider 4 people I saw botting and like 10-12 gold announcements I came across being half of the population that would mean that my server has only 32 people on it in overall right?

Even if you would go by it with other servers or count the times I wasn't online (though the first days and even later when I had free days I partially was literally 24 hours in the game sometimes) I doubt it would had been THAT many(unlike many other mmos).

As about your little panda, I have sad news for you cause it doesn't seem to be doing THAT well, nor interest as many people as you think it did.

Know many people in real life and also have guildies as also came across people that were talking about it in the map chat (yesterday again) and it sounds as if even wow or ex-wow players partially doesn't care about it.

The german amazons bestseller games list had GW2 on top for several weeks across all plattforms.

After ANet stopped selling it, it dropped down to rank 9 across all plattforms and rank 3 in pc games in which it still is.

Your little panda went up to number 1 under pc selling games for like a week and 4th place across all plattforms.

It already dropped at the 2nd place under the pc games (GW2 is still 3rd after over a month) with Fifa 2012 being number one.

Across all plattforms it already dropped to the 5th place and drops even further (GW2 is still at the 9th place solid) while Fifa 2012 has taken over across all plattforms as number 1 aswell.

Give it another week or two and recheck then you'll see the Pandas dissappearing in the mists they came from.

Quite sure that it's similar in other lands aswell since I heard similar reports from US people and others too that said that MoP didn't do as well as expected.

Not that I really care if people play it or not cause everyone that enjoys it should play it and have fun with it.

Just wanted to show you how wrong you actually are and how badly your attempt to poison this part of the forums failed.

Probably because most WoW players bought the digital copy directly from Blizzard''s website, to get midnight access.  Sorry to bust your bubble, but MoP is actually doing quite well.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by cheyane
    It does matter to some extent how busy it is as the Nageling Giant who keeps turning up in Diessa Plateau very often is not going to go away until it is killed. The town is out of bounds as the repair guy, merchants all are dead and even if revived will not try to do any business. For the events which were supposed to change how MMORPGs are supposed to be previously they sure do repeat the events far too often and what is more it is annoying. The events repeat very often and is boring that way and I think in some ways Rift did it better where the towns are available after a time  when not enough people are playing. I just find it frustrating two people cannot kill the giant so it just stays there. It should scale to allow two people to kill it if no one else is about.

Ummm... I can solo him. Learn his attacks and how to avoid them. Its very easy. Just has a ton of HP so takes awhile to kill. Took me like 10 minutes to drop him.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Sigh... nearly complete lack of empathy regarding the fact that I fell off a freakin' cliff people! My own fault I guess for playing tired (and knowing it while doing so).

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Atraeus123Atraeus123 Member Posts: 3

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

You are lucky, my server Emhry Bay has seen a huge exit of people, the only ones you see left are bots in events...

Chat has come to a stop with no one even chatting.....nothing left but a ghost town. :(

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Map chat is awful even when you try to inject some humour there are those people who think insulting and being general idiots is more fun. After awhile I decided them making fun of me was not worth my efforts. See this is why the chat is so silent thanks to those who like to show off how insulting they can be. Not worth making an attempt to socialize.This genre is really all about guilds now the general chat is basically just for directions and abuse.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

How is that good news? wasn't every server full/high in the first weeks? Also on xfire (which can't be manipulated by Anet) gw2 is pretty much tanking (from 93k hours to 51.5k in 3 weeks, and before mop came out). Even SWTOR had better player retention 1 month after its release.

Almost noone uses X-Fire, so stop making up stories with X-Fire statistics.  It makes you look like a real moron.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Almost noone uses X-Fire, so stop making up stories with X-Fire statistics.  It makes you look like a real moron.

Well according to X-Fire (which can be manipulated by X-Fire to misrepresent resutls) [unrepresented crappy statistic here]. The end.

If X-Fire doesnt skew their own numbers, which is possible, so don't even start with the "they wouldn't do that" or "they can't do that" crap, the only thing this shows you is the playing habits of X-fire users, which is a selective group in itself. So all we know are the 10k people who use X-fire and play GW2 has dropped in hours. Wooboy, that really doesn't tell us much. Statistics are blind studys with a population that is unbiased, so x-fire results don't count as a real statistic. All you found out was X-fire user habits and that you can say without any doubt what happened since it's the entire group. Grats.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Not to mention that those people are to dumb to actually understand XFire.

GW2 had around 10500 players on its prime, after release with around 90k hours per day, it now stands at around 9.1k players with 35k hours.... this means that the game only lost around 10% of its player base, and that now these players are playing less time per day, which is rather normal since the game is not the novelty it once was.

I ask please, to the XFire stydying crowd, which game released on the last 6 years got a player retention of 90%? None it seems, except for GW2

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Ummm....no. GW2 set records for concurrency during the opening weeks, plus Arenanet have steadily been increasing capacity on each server as the population has spread out. Drop off in average hours played is to be expected, as people settle into more reasonable playtime hours. (I was playing about 14 hours a day, or more, the first week. I've now settled down to 6-8 hours a day, but that doesn't mean I like the game any less, I'm just becoming more sane in the way I play it).

There is no subscription fee here, so there is no "make or break; pay or bail" implications to be read into a drop off in average hours played. I fully expect a fair portion of players to check out MoP, but I also expect most of them to be back playing GW2 with in a month or two, some will return much more quickly.

Player retention for GW2 would be all players who own the game who haven't decided never to play it again, rather than how many players decide to maintain a subscription fee in a sub based MMO like SWTOR. So, your statement on retention is completely non-sensical. Breadth and depth of ongoing enthusiasm seems much higher for GW2 than for any MMO I've played since WoW, so no, there aren't any signs of anything here other than players falling into sustainable play patterns after playing the game a little too obsessively in the opening weeks.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by tryklon

GW2 had around 10500 players on its prime, after release with around 90k hours per day, it now stands at around 9.1k players with 35k hours.... this means that the game only lost around 10% of its player base, and that now these players are playing less time per day, which is rather normal since the game is not the novelty it once was.

I ask please, to the XFire stydying crowd, which game released on the last 6 years got a player retention of 90%? None it seems, except for GW2

I can agree with everything you said here.  I don't think I should though.

I don't know if the correlation between users and people playing can be made. Yesterday morning I was inching towards making that sameconnection. Last night though, I saw that GW2 has a disportinately high player to xfire user rate. 

For a game that sold 2million or so copies to have 90% of the amount of users using xfire as WoW, a game with 9 million users is odd. Even more odd that 90% plays 1/2 the time as the WoW players play. 

We do know that hours played does correlate to the number of people playing. The user one is still a little sketchy. I would love to see some overlays of graphs with this one though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by tryklon

I can agree with everything you said here.  I don't think I should though.

I don't know if the correlation between users and people playing can be made. Yesterday morning I was inching towards making that sameconnection. Last night though, I saw that GW2 has a disportinately high player to xfire user rate. 

For a game that sold 2million or so copies to have 90% of the amount of users using xfire as WoW, a game with 9 million users is odd. Even more odd that 90% plays 1/2 the time as the WoW players play. 

We do know that hours played does correlate to the number of people playing. The user one is still a little sketchy. I would love to see some overlays of graphs with this one though.

Well but you arefailing an important assumption there, the wow 9 millions. Wow may have those numbers but 60% of that, maybe even more, is in asian territory, mainly peoples republic of china, and they block XFire use, as well as many other social network softwares, so the numbers you see on xfire regarding wow are mainly western numbers, and if GW2 sold 2 million boxes, I can sincerely see wow having around2,5 to 3 millions in the west, so the numbers are pretty close to what we see on xfire when it comes to the correlation between the 2 games.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Why would the population drop ? Why would anyone predict it ? This not a monthly subscriber game, therefore there will not be a sudden drop in server populations. What you will see, is a slow bleed. Once people reach end game and are bored you'll see the bleed. It really as in GW 1 won't be evident in the end game pop initially, it'll be more obvious in the the lowbie areas, especially as the months go on . The hardcore will grind away and the lowbie areas will become barren much like GW 1 did. It's the nature of this games design .