Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Harvestmath Festival & New Rohan Dev Diary

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine has released a new developer diary for the Lord of the Rings Online expansion, Riders of Rohan. In this edition of the series, the developers talk about the epic story behind the expansion and the return to the core story. In addition, LOTRO devs have released new screenshots for Harvestmath, the fall in-game festival.

THE HARVESTMATH FESTIVAL

• Test your skill at daily Harvestmath games including Scroll-grabbing, Geode-hunting, Pumpkin Picking, and Apple Bobbing!

• Troves & Trickery Returns - Play tricks on citizens of Thorin’s Hall, Duillond, Hobbiton, and Bree!

• Join the Harvestmath Horse Races at the Shire or Bree-land festival grounds!

• Decorate your house with festive Harvestmath items including the Haunted Tree!

• Raise a pint with the Ale Association or Inn League!

Find out more on the Lord of the Rings Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    I ****ing love this game! Decent graphics card, looks amazing and plays so smooth and well without so much as a bit of drain on my hardware. If only they were all like LOTRO, why god why can't they be this good?
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

What's your secret to get it to run smoothly?

I have been trying to play it and it is really choppy.

It cant be my machine. I am running GW2 at max settings and it is fine.

I dropped down to dx9 and turned shadows off and yet I still get a little stuttering.

I would love to stay and play a while but if I can't fix the chop I won't last very long.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Triple buffering enabled? That works pretty well. A good GeForce 3d graphics card works wonders too, in  a desktop or tower, makes all the difference. The game is a charm then with smooth animation in mind, set to high performance mode just to make sure. Also played on a widescreen monitor watching the sun shining in the a.m. outside Bree is droolgood.
  • DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

I still get some choppiness with a gtx460, 3ghz quad core processor, and 8gb ram when a lot of objects enter into view; but that is with dx11 and everything maxed out completely.

The game still looks solid 5 years after release, and there is some pretty nice looking spots, but it's not like entirely awe-inspiring or anything. The game world is huge though so that's nice.

I've played for free to level 20; I might sub for a month and buy the triple pack if I can get a friend to play with me. Haha...

That whole movie was just walking!!

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Looking forward to this expansion. I hope they can ramp up the development so progression through story doesn't take forever.

Lotro has always been one of the very few games I can always head back to. It is always fun, tons to do, community is the best of any mmo and has about my favorite class ever created in any mmo (Lore-master). Solid game despite the arguments it is a wow clone. Personally I feel Turbine just did enough to make it different from your typical clone. The typical Turbine mmo elements shine through too. Many of which started way back in Asheron's Call (my all time favorite game).

MAKE AN ASHERON'S CALL GAME AGAIN SOME YEAR DAMNIT!!! :) They have their own mmo engine which you know must be completely modernized and advanced since Lotro creation. They are freaking sitting on top of something they aren't telling us ... and I mean pc not the semi-vaporware Harry Potter console game.

You stay sassy!

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

While LOTRO graphics are astonishingly good considering it's 5 year old game, it's engine fails badly compared to almost any new MMO out there. LOTRO struggles with 10 mobs battles, which made ma already feel meh during Isengard book chapters, where rohirrims fought orcs. I mean those 4 orcs attacking me and 3 NPCs is meant to be an epic battle?

GW2 for example has 50+ mobs fights(NPCs + enemies) and this feels awesome - chaos, being a part of something big and those freaking siege machines. This I feel is what LOTRO will really lack during epic battles upcoming(Helms Deep and Minas Tirith)

Also hardware requirements for LOTRO are way too high for the result. Reason as I'd guess is engine being old, unoptimised with all new code added. I mean LOTRO can get choppy on PCs that would be powerhouses 3-4 years ago. And those loading times...

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by crazynanny

While LOTRO graphics are astonishingly good considering it's 5 year old game, it's engine fails badly compared to almost any new MMO out there. LOTRO struggles with 10 mobs battles, which made ma already feel meh during Isengard book chapters, where rohirrims fought orcs. I mean those 4 orcs attacking me and 3 NPCs is meant to be an epic battle?

GW2 for example has 50+ mobs fights(NPCs + enemies) and this feels awesome - chaos, being a part of something big and those freaking siege machines. This I feel is what LOTRO will really lack during epic battles upcoming(Helms Deep and Minas Tirith)

Also hardware requirements for LOTRO are way too high for the result. Reason as I'd guess is engine being old, unoptimised with all new code added. I mean LOTRO can get choppy on PCs that would be powerhouses 3-4 years ago. And those loading times...

well ofc it fails badly compared to new games,which game would'nt..but it still looks good and if you like the story which most do i dont see a problem.yes the combat is dated but who cares,the game is brilliant.the game is choppy thats for sure.but it dont stop me playing.they could do with updating the engine..but i dont think they will spend anymore money on this game than they have too.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by crazynanny

In Turbine's defence. They have been making lots of updates and improvements to their engine tho.

They had to make quite a few improvements/upgrades back in the day when they were developing the Moria expansion, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible.

They also said that as of about a year / year and half ago they are now working hard to improve / upgrade it to make future "larger" battles possible to be rendered on your PC screen.

So far, with Isengard expac I haven't been really much impressed with it.... but who knows what they come up with in Rohan expac or the one after that. (Helmsdeep? Hobbit expac?).

We will see.