Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar want to do anything but WOW

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/15/wildstar-aims-to-be-anything-but-wow/

(Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney ) was asked what sets this MMO apart from the pack.

Gaffney had a laundry list in reply, saying that the largely ex-Blizzard team's motto is, "We just crunched for six years, we want to do anything but WoW."

Layered content is a big buzz-phrase for WildStar, and Gaffney attempted to provide an example of the game's flexibility. "You're on a mission to kill alien jungle cats. You see one that's irradiated and start scanning it. Or it's too tough, so you scare some prey away from you into the cats, and they start attacking the prey, and then you jump in when everyone is weakened. They're tough, so you see a huntress and drag them to her to get her cheering on for rep -- you see a second huntress and now you're bouncing between them for double rep rewards."

Comments

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I have serioous doubts about this game. I'll believe it when I play it. Words mean squat these days with talking dev heads promising the world and giving pig poop.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

So in short, go kill 10 alien jungle cats ? Sounds familar to me without actually seeing it.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by Mephster

So in short, go kill 10 alien jungle cats ? Sounds familar to me without actually seeing it.

Sure, if you just want to go for the top layer of the quest. That's doable. But if you want the full WildStar experience then you have to embrace the Momentum Mechanics layering principle they're implementing.

They cover this fairly well in a presentation they gave at PAX Prime/Gamescom which you can watch over on WildStar Central.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Thanks zap, nice to see somone dedicated to this game at this early stage, great website.

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    I hope they do something differnt from WoW but I sometimes think that if you do then you will get a backlash from players so used to the 'WoW Style".

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I loved the housing trailer for this game and it generated some interest with me.

But then I saw trailers and videos of the combat, and that killed everything.  Essentially you get bright red shapes all over the ground showing you exactly where a mob is going and where they plan on attacking next.  Works for melee, ranged weapons, thrown objects, fire breath, everything.  You always get a warning .. It just seems so dumbed down now for me :(

Example picture .. the red shapes could be circles, triangles, cones, etc, depending on the attack .. It just seems so mindless and numbing :(  Don't stand in the red stuff .. Zzzzz....

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    Almost like dont stand in the circle form wow raiding lol! It does make a change thoough even if it does dumb it down in some ways.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    I dont think dumbing down is the right way to look at it, its not about easy gameplay but freeing up the devs to put more and more complex behavours into the mobs, though the red shapes make that element of combat predictable, other aspects such as movement, AOEs, and atk patterns can be more diverse. We shall see what the result it, I am hoping for a GW2 lvl of difficulty for the pve.
  • OmniwarOmniwar Member UncommonPosts: 7

You can probably disable those warnings, like you can in GW2, which makes it a whole new game where you rely on nothing but your own eyes and ears in order to predict enemy attacks.

Sheehs man, you dont have to wear the padded helmet, but if you take it off you should expect to get hurt :)

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Anything but WoW?

This game had my interest until I saw the Halloween stuff several months back so you can guess that all the other typical holiday crap will be thrown into the mix a la WoW.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TheAncient

you can guess that all the other typical holiday crap will be thrown into the mix a la WoW.

early mmos had seasonal events before WOW made mmos popular

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    "anything but WOW" scares me. Judging from the graphics and first gameplay trailer i thought this was a game that finally had the balls to say - "yes, we are like WOW - but better!".  Now they are doing the same song and dance that all the other AAA MMOs have been saying since WOW became big.  This is a real shame. I am looking for a WOW clone. I am looking for a place to spend my next 7 years in like I did with WOW.  I have not given up hope yet for Wildstar but my enthusiasm is lessening nearly every time I hear statements like "anything but WOW".
  • stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I cant wait to give this game a try, but cant these companies stop comparing themselves to other games.  It doesnt matter what they are, or what they are not....they are going to be similar in several way.  No company is going to change the MMO way of life in one game....these things happen gradually from game to game.   You know on day one, theres going to be ppl complaining how the game is a clone of this or that, others will stick around and see what really makes it different......but dont say what you are or are not, because theres always going to be people comparing it to something thats already been done....and you CANT change their mind on how they view it.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by TheAncient

you can guess that all the other typical holiday crap will be thrown into the mix a la WoW.

early mmos had seasonal events before WOW made mmos popular

Yes they did, however Blizzard took the holiday idea to new levels that many later MMO's have found difficult to ignore in their efforts to stay popular. So, if you include holiday events in an amusing and cartoon style (which Wildstar is) are you more like WoW or less like WoW?

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Can't wait
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

That's unfortunate.

So far no game that actively seeked to be anything but WoW failed HARD.

Clones don't do much better, but at least they're enjoyable (Rift, SWTOR).

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    As I posted before I am looking for a wow-better game and this "anything but wow" comment really depressed me. Today's Wildstar updates made me feel much better. Now they are saying that they are "improving on wow". They are doing just what wow did when it started - taking the best of the current mmos. Carbine is taking ideas from wow, gw2 and even swtor. That is what I am looking for, not something completely different, just something that takes the best of everything else - all the FUN things.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by tordurbar
    As I posted before I am looking for a wow-better game and this "anything but wow" comment really depressed me. Today's Wildstar updates made me feel much better. Now they are saying that they are "improving on wow". They are doing just what wow did when it started - taking the best of the current mmos. Carbine is taking ideas from wow, gw2 and even swtor. That is what I am looking for, not something completely different, just something that takes the best of everything else - all the FUN things.

Heres the problem with a wow-better game.  WOW has like a decade and a half of polish behind it, the basics of that game are flawless.  If you into that style of game, and enjoy wow...your going to have to trade heavily looks for mechanics.  This is the flaw with everyone and their mother trying to make the next wow...the basics are the same, and for those of us who never got into those basics to begin with, we are stuck with attempt after failed attempt to reinvent the wheel.

The problem is, everytime they say its going to not be like wow...it ends up being the same game with a slight twist here and slight modification there.  Your still quest hubbing (dynamic or non dynamic lol) in a mad dash to race to the end so you can instance your pvp and pve, grind for gear, with the occasional attempt to bring the instance pvp into an open world type instance. 

Combat in this game does look like an improvement...however it looks so incredibly dumbed down and easy that it wont matter much...to me it seems like wow raids on a normal mob level type deal where you have to dance out of the super obvious "dont stand there" attacks.

Real question is...whats this game geared towards...mindless mad dash to endgame then...then what....instanced pvp, raids...hard mode dungeons...my guess is yes, thats endgame, the same game model again, with some new stuff.

Problem is the new stuff is typically during the mad dash to endgame part of the game, people tend to blackout from racing so fast and dont even notice...all they see are pvp queues, tierd gear, hard mode dungeons and raids....again...for the 100th time.

If this is what your looking for, youll probably love the game to death as you race to endgame, still love it for a few weeks or month while at endgame, then probably go back to your old game once the rest of the community whos fed up with these types of games wanders off in a fit of rage.  Why they keep going back for the same punishment, same cycle of hype/dissapointment/rage is beyond me...

Someday we will get some new game mechanics to enjoy

• YaumulYaumul Member Posts: 11

Anything but WoW... except the art style which is almost identical. Check out this shot:

http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/231535.jpg

The screenshot looks like it could have been taken in the Barrens from WoW.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Yaumul

Anything but WoW... except the art style which is almost identical. Check out this shot:

http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/231535.jpg

The screenshot looks like it could have been taken in the Barrens from WoW.

The designer just wants to spin something out of the anti Blizzard-WOW stuff on forums.

It is the X th proof this industry is in a downward spiral that will only hit the bottom of the barrel with a complete shake off in a few years time.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

look how that quote turned out.

- game almost identical to WoW visually

- battleground structure the same

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

- pvp arena setup the same

oh but we added housing totally not WoW!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The game is abviously targetted at the wow audiance, its yet another company taking the flawed position that they will somehow draw masses of wow players away with a new fresh but WOW like experience.  It fails to aknowledge the failed attempts at this in the past due to the fact that the wow population are not going to leave wow for another wow, it will not happen.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by Karteli

I loved the housing trailer for this game and it generated some interest with me.

But then I saw trailers and videos of the combat, and that killed everything.  Essentially you get bright red shapes all over the ground showing you exactly where a mob is going and where they plan on attacking next.  Works for melee, ranged weapons, thrown objects, fire breath, everything.  You always get a warning .. It just seems so dumbed down now for me :(

Example picture .. the red shapes could be circles, triangles, cones, etc, depending on the attack .. It just seems so mindless and numbing :(  Don't stand in the red stuff .. Zzzzz....

Which can be turned off like it has been said many other times. Do you post the same complaint in every WS thread?

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Heres the problem with a wow-better game.  WOW has like a decade and a half of polish behind it, the basics of that game are flawless.  If you into that style of game, and enjoy wow...your going to have to trade heavily looks for mechanics.  This is the flaw with everyone and their mother trying to make the next wow...the basics are the same, and for those of us who never got into those basics to begin with, we are stuck with attempt after failed attempt to reinvent the wheel.

The problem is, everytime they say its going to not be like wow...it ends up being the same game with a slight twist here and slight modification there.  Your still quest hubbing (dynamic or non dynamic lol) in a mad dash to race to the end so you can instance your pvp and pve, grind for gear, with the occasional attempt to bring the instance pvp into an open world type instance. 

Combat in this game does look like an improvement...however it looks so incredibly dumbed down and easy that it wont matter much...to me it seems like wow raids on a normal mob level type deal where you have to dance out of the super obvious "dont stand there" attacks.

Real question is...whats this game geared towards...mindless mad dash to endgame then...then what....instanced pvp, raids...hard mode dungeons...my guess is yes, thats endgame, the same game model again, with some new stuff.

Problem is the new stuff is typically during the mad dash to endgame part of the game, people tend to blackout from racing so fast and dont even notice...all they see are pvp queues, tierd gear, hard mode dungeons and raids....again...for the 100th time.

If this is what your looking for, youll probably love the game to death as you race to endgame, still love it for a few weeks or month while at endgame, then probably go back to your old game once the rest of the community whos fed up with these types of games wanders off in a fit of rage.  Why they keep going back for the same punishment, same cycle of hype/dissapointment/rage is beyond me...

Someday we will get some new game mechanics to enjoy

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

look how that quote turned out.

- game almost identical to WoW visually

- battleground structure the same

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

- pvp arena setup the same

oh but we added housing totally not WoW!

-The art style is similar, but the amount of detail in characters and environments is far superior to WoW.

-Since when does WoW give me the ability to build a fortress (warplot) and PvP against other groups/guilds?

-My Warplot can also spawn raid bosses I have beat in the past on my enemies. Can WoW do that?

-Does the available raid content in WoW change every couple weeks so it does not get stale? I don't think so.

-Does WoW have different paths that you can go on based on the play style you like?

Really seems like a clone to me. People throw around the term WoW clone like it is their job. So funny.