Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Save a Panda By Pre-Ordering Storm Legion

Comments

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    I think I might buy it now just because of the genius.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Torluk

Taking the moral high ground to poke fun at one of your competitors and immediately losing it again for that reason, gotta admit it was funny on several levels.  Ty for the article and the laughs.

Very good PR stunt but I won't be playing MOP or Storm Legion.

Its funny, but not exactly a great PR move.  I really dont understand reminding everyone of your (tremendously more popular) competition everytime they view your webpage.

Yes, everyone is aware of WoW but with 6 weeks until your expansion why give your customers that might not be thinking of MoP the thought of  'hey, theres nothing going on riift right now, let me go check out the new expansion'

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Torluk

Taking the moral high ground to poke fun at one of your competitors and immediately losing it again for that reason, gotta admit it was funny on several levels.  Ty for the article and the laughs.

Very good PR stunt but I won't be playing MOP or Storm Legion.

Its funny, but not exactly a great PR move.  I really dont understand reminding everyone of your (tremendously more popular) competition everytime they view your webpage.

Yes, everyone is aware of WoW but with 6 weeks until your expansion why give your customers that might not be thinking of MoP the thought of  'hey, theres nothing going on riift right now, let me go check out the new expansion'

I can see your point but I struggle to remember a promotion for an MMORPG that better encapsulates the collective humour of the genre.  I expect many people will be passing this joke on to friends so that they get a chuckle out of it too.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Funny little jab and it goes to a good cause. Nothing really to hate about this. Rift knows it will never be as big as WOW though I believe it is a better game...so it just has a little fun with the (kinda) competition. How anyone thinks this is unprofessional or desperate is beyond me. Just a fun little promo.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    That is pretty good.  
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    The game is really low on player in europe. Which is a shame, it's a lot better game than WoW.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

I am a WoW player and i think it´s hilarious.

Good one Trion.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    That is frigging awesome!
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by Dblstandard

To fully understand the joke you have to also appreciate the rivalry between Rift Devs and WoW.  As many Rift Devs are from EQ2, like Hartsman, and they recall what WoW did to EQ2's release by releasing Wow's open beta a few days before EQ2's release.  Bascially spoling EQ2's release and any possibility of success.  I don't think there is much love lost between WoW and the Rift Devs.

Nice sense of humor without going over the top. 

With no real big games on the Horizon, GW2 losing players daily and Tor essentialy dead this is a great time for Rift.  Rift, WoW and EQ2 are arguably the only supported MMOs left with regular content updates.  Great oppurtunity for Rift to fill the void as the MMO pf the future for those that want an actual supported MMO rather than the flavor of the month MMO we have seen with titles like GW2, TSW, Tera and Tor.  After so many box sale MMOs with less longevity  and support than a singleplayer game like D3, Rift is one of the few MMOs left with a future.

ummm they copied and pasted half their content from wow and their servers are ghost towns so the trolling is on them. While these guys find it funny here and think things like this is witty , it just shows exactly how desperate and immature this company really is. Also go look at their last 30 60 or 90 day population status on riftstatus and you tell me exactly how this game even manages to stay afloat in the first place. Really and truely unprofessional and i seriously cannot wait til storm legion flops like rift already is.

Edit- you are dellusional if you think 12-16 low population servers have a future seriously you need your head examined.

thats novel considering wow stole off every mmo going and are still doing it..their latest is the skirmish system off lotro.wow have stole that

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Awesome trion LOL
  • beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72

That is funny as hell

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

OMG! I laughed so hard when I read this!!!!

Great job Trion. I might just buy this expansion to, of course save a panda, but also for the underlying humor of it all. Rift by far would be on my top list of MMOs to sub to again if the population increased from where the shards are now. Many things they did right, like the talent tree options and dynamic events, but please.... for the love of all that is holy.... DO NOT follow Blizzard in all that they do!!! I want a game that is challenging, not one that is watered down every patch. This is one reason I enjoy GW2 at present time. Since the betas I have told many... "In GW2 expect to die. Even the pve world is hard at times and challenging" Kinda like WoW during the classic days.

I encourage all SAVE A PANDA!

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Funny stuff.  TRION has a great sense of humor.  I like the little WoW jabs they take.

Originally posted by Rockniss
    Well you sold me, I will be buying the storm legion, tanked my first mop dungeon last night couldn't believe how stupid and easy it was. We will see how the rest of the story goes while I level up.... I like what rift is doing here though, I said before at some point too that Rift is slated to become the new king. Thier timing is perfect too, just enough for GW2 to fizzled out, and people to come to a real conclusion about mop, yes my first dungeon was stupid easy, we will see how heroics go, if thier just as dumb as regulars or close, Rift better fire up thier engines and get ready for a Storm Legion Revival.

Have you ever tanked a RIFT dungeon?  I'm not sure how it can get any easier than that.  Those who live in glass houses and all that.  They are fun dungeons though.

I would expect RIFT to become king of that sort of MMO as well.  I see it as the home of those moving on from EQ2 and WoW, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.  I wouldn't say their population is tanking, but it doesn't seem quite as robust as it once was on Faeblight.  I really do think RIFT is a better game than both WoW and EQ2 even without the latter's several year jump on content.  I just can't fathom why their popularity as a game (ie: sub numbers) seems so lukewarm.

I disagree - tanking in Rift dungeons requires a little bit of art.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I am amused. Trion proves they can troll with the best.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    LMAO, now, THAT is funny.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by kevjards

Originally posted by cronius77

Originally posted by Dblstandard To fully understand the joke you have to also appreciate the rivalry between Rift Devs and WoW.  As many Rift Devs are from EQ2, like Hartsman, and they recall what WoW did to EQ2's release by releasing Wow's open beta a few days before EQ2's release.  Bascially spoling EQ2's release and any possibility of success.  I don't think there is much love lost between WoW and the Rift Devs. Nice sense of humor without going over the top.  With no real big games on the Horizon, GW2 losing players daily and Tor essentialy dead this is a great time for Rift.  Rift, WoW and EQ2 are arguably the only supported MMOs left with regular content updates.  Great oppurtunity for Rift to fill the void as the MMO pf the future for those that want an actual supported MMO rather than the flavor of the month MMO we have seen with titles like GW2, TSW, Tera and Tor.  After so many box sale MMOs with less longevity  and support than a singleplayer game like D3, Rift is one of the few MMOs left with a future.
    ummm they copied and pasted half their content from wow and their servers are ghost towns so the trolling is on them. While these guys find it funny here and think things like this is witty , it just shows exactly how desperate and immature this company really is. Also go look at their last 30 60 or 90 day population status on riftstatus and you tell me exactly how this game even manages to stay afloat in the first place. Really and truely unprofessional and i seriously cannot wait til storm legion flops like rift already is. Edit- you are dellusional if you think 12-16 low population servers have a future seriously you need your head examined.
    thats novel considering wow stole off every mmo going and are still doing it..their latest is the skirmish system off lotro.wow have stole that

The Irony of it all too is that once Blizz ran out of ideas to steal from other developers look what happens to WoW. Of course, I'm not implying Trion is innocent here.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Have you ever tanked a RIFT dungeon?  I'm not sure how it can get any easier than that.  Those who live in glass houses and all that.  They are fun dungeons though.

I would expect RIFT to become king of that sort of MMO as well.  I see it as the home of those moving on from EQ2 and WoW, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.  I wouldn't say their population is tanking, but it doesn't seem quite as robust as it once was on Faeblight.  I really do think RIFT is a better game than both WoW and EQ2 even without the latter's several year jump on content.  I just can't fathom why their popularity as a game (ie: sub numbers) seems so lukewarm.

Its a combination of several reasons I think.  And i don't think all of them are that obvious.  Rift is a game that many like, but don't stick around long term and no one has the answer why.

Rift's generic nature certainly works against it.  For an example of what I mean, take a WoW race.  Now describe non-physical characteristics of that race.  personality, history, reasons for their loyalties and enemies, all that stuff.  Now take a Rift race and do the same.

Similarly, take a stroll into Sanctum and Meridian.  Now check out Orgrimmar, Stormwind, Qeynos, Freeport....and if you really want to see the difference check out the GW2 cities.  

And how about story presentation?  WoW has a great flair with this and its characters often all have their own personalities and quirks.  EQ2 uses a lot of chat bubbles and often gives you a say (rarely meaningful but still keeps you interested) in the conversation.  Rift's main delivery of story and lore is gigantic walls of text that can be a chore to read.

Another issue is the leveling speed, its too fast.  Your character development is done in such a short time that you dont get that draw to your characters.  By the time your EQ2 character hits max level youve been on a journey.  Rift is more like a weekend getaway.   The soul system hurts Rift here *for some people* as your Rift character doesn't have an identity.  Some dig being an amoeba, adapting to any situation.  Others want a purpose for their character and can't identify with their swiss army knife toon.  The whole concept of character attachment is pretty intangible, but I do think it has hurt Rift's retention and is one of those 'I can't put my finger on it' reasons.

And a more obvous one:  Rift copied WoW's endgame model of currency grind.  WoW's biggest weakness is also right there in Rift: the endgame can just get downright tedious.

WoW's PvP is better (though both games have mediocre PvP).  EQ2's crafting is better and has fantastic housing (SL looks to bring Rift up near EQ2's level for housng).  

Rift doesnt really do anything better than anyone, except its patch speed.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I'm KyBo, and I approve this WoW pwn.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    When it takes less than 12 hours to fo from 85-90 how could anyrhing think MoP would be hard  lol
  • rivetman13rivetman13 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Xepo

OMG! I laughed so hard when I read this!!!!

"In GW2 expect to die. Even the pve world is hard at times and challenging" Kinda like WoW during the classic days.

WoW PVE was never hard. ~The End

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr
    It's funny, but honestly a bit unprofessional.  

Yeah true.. ANet digging on WoW  is much more professional..  Or have we all forgotten that?  And that was a DIRECT jab.  This is just related enough to make the connection.

Personally I think it's brilliant.  I'm biased of course ~ I love Rift for everything it is and everything it's not.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    i better get my popcorn, this is getting too interesting... lol!!

So What Now?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr
    It's funny, but honestly a bit unprofessional.  

Agree. Actually, very unprofessional. Well, could be also pure coincidence, but they could choose to save i.e. tigres or any other endangered species.

For the rest all the best for Rift. Wow, swtor, now maybe gw2 too are in front, but great game and Trion is great company.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I've played both WoW and Rift.

I play neither of them today.

I find this funny :)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The Irony of it all too is that once Blizz ran out of ideas to steal from other developers look what happens to WoW. Of course, I'm not implying Trion is innocent here.

No no, they got plenty to steal. Didn't you see they took Rift's Instant Adventures? Not sure if they took the chronicals idea yet though. Rift was based off taking a model and making it better, while Wow... bluntly speaking, has never been original. I don't know a single element in the game that hasn't been in another game first. They do make stuff their own (or at least to a certain degree) so in that regard its not always bad, just typically when they are feeling for stuff on their own.... they tend to go in the wrong direction. 

Seriously, who was the genious that thought making the talent system picking 3 skills every 15 levels was a smart idea and calling it 'more choice'? Hurray, give players less of a sense of progression then the game already had when it was every 2.  At least leveling alts in the past felt somewhat satisfying with talents and getting up in the tree to unlock new skills or nice abilities, now you get zero and it feels like your character is a damn carbon copy of everyone else. Diablo 3 was just stupid as it was and the new Wow deal makes it feel like even LESS of a choice...

Woops little rant my bad, it happens when a game you use to love is going so far down hill that its not even funny.