Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Bored...

2»

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's just because it's WoW and it's time has come and gone. Not saying it isn't a good game it's just that it's old and the first 2 years it was out were the best.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

OP, your right.

WoW and all mmos are not what they used to be.  I think most people really can't put words to the problem with mmo's.

Here is my take :

Its not the quest and the same old stuff.......BUT the community aspect of it all.  Developers are responsible, if you make an mmo too easy there are no reason to group, join guilds, or have a friends list. THIS IS WHAT MULTI PLAYER REALLY IS.  It's about logging in for days,months years to meet and play with others.

Remember this ?

" Hay can you help me out over here, this group quest is too hard "

" Shadow fang keep, kicked my butt last time, I had you on my friends list because your a good tank, would you please come with us ? "

" Can I please get a few guild members to help be for a few minutes. I'm in Red Ridge and I can't beat this thing.

" Hay, would you like to quest together, it seems as if we are both too low for this zone "

" WoW, we did good in Scarlet Monastery. Can I add you guys to my friends list "

" That was fun, will you be on tomorrow ? "

Every play session was a little different because of the community. ITS WHAT DRIVES A PLAYER TO LOG ON MONTH AFTER MONTH....... I hate to say it but GW2 is no better.....We have crap now, and all developers of every game feel as if they should follow in what WoW has become. But they neglect to realize that the new World of Warcraft is running on what it used to be. All mmos following this formula without being established will fail !!!!

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I'm already bored of Pandaria, got past a few quests and again was like, what is the point? Grind out five more levels, then grind out gear all over again...

No thanks, I'll pass.

When are they going to make another MMO that feels meaningful? When are they going to make an MMO that doesn't feel like an hamster wheel? Go kill ten of these, go pick up six of these, omg enough already.

Sometimes I look at the NPC's and wonder if I would just rather be one of them, giving out quests to all of the hamsters frantically clicking on me for treats.

Oh man you made me laugh hard, thanks, I needed that.

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231
    I saw a comment in this thread that said welcome to MMOs there are hamster wheels. It made me sad because it is true, it was true before it is true now. The difference between now and before is in the past you hard freedom and community to make th hamster wheel invisible. Now companies don't care! they wave the hamster wheel playstyle freely but because people are willing to give these companies money they continue to do it yet people want to complain. How about if you don't like the sound of something, then do research, maybe give the trial a chance and if you find the hamster wheel is that much visible then don't give these companies your MONEY!
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

I realized that I just couldnt do this game any more when I let my 8 year old daughter play my toon while I took a leak. I was in a group and was dps. My daughter just kept on going mashing buttons and doing just great! Then I saw that MoP was coming and all the nifty lil changes that made the game even more dumbed down. I need a challenge of some sort. An " OMG " dont do that or you might die feeling. Mop is the same ole same ole with a new facelift and a larger , easier to get, carrot .

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by delete5230

OP, your right.

WoW and all mmos are not what they used to be.  I think most people really can't put words to the problem with mmo's.

Here is my take :

Its not the quest and the same old stuff.......BUT the community aspect of it all.  Developers are responsible, if you make an mmo too easy there are no reason to group, join guilds, or have a friends list. THIS IS WHAT MULTI PLAYER REALLY IS.  It's about logging in for days,months years to meet and play with others.

Remember this ?

" Hay can you help me out over here, this group quest is too hard "

" Shadow fang keep, kicked my butt last time, I had you on my friends list because your a good tank, would you please come with us ? "

" Can I please get a few guild members to help be for a few minutes. I'm in Red Ridge and I can't beat this thing.

" Hay, would you like to quest together, it seems as if we are both too low for this zone "

" WoW, we did good in Scarlet Monastery. Can I add you guys to my friends list "

" That was fun, will you be on tomorrow ? "

Every play session was a little different because of the community. ITS WHAT DRIVES A PLAYER TO LOG ON MONTH AFTER MONTH....... I hate to say it but GW2 is no better.....We have crap now, and all developers of every game feel as if they should follow in what WoW has become. But they neglect to realize that the new World of Warcraft is running on what it used to be. All mmos following this formula without being established will fail !!!!

nice post - but i dont see any easy solutions

this problem affect all mmos with group content:

as the game ages and adds expansions, theres less low level players to do the group stuff -- unless you find higher level players to help you steamroll thru it, and that negates the fun part .. challenge

• bone12bone12 Member Posts: 31
    Maybe it's time to just suck it up and try EvE for the tenth time...

EvE would be waste of time and money so Boring.. Try Guild wars 2 alot more fun and things to offer serious!.

as i stated many times before but not in here. Wow is dead... u play for a couple of days u reached max level and did all dungeons and raids.. so weak.

i got a couple of games u should try

Guild wars 2 . Smite. LoL. Sc2. torchlight 2. borderlands 2. and alot more games..

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

MoP is totally awesome~! 

I was just chillin' like a villain today. I rolled up my Pandarian monk and went out to level him up. It was deeply engrossing. I had to talk to some dude and get a weapon and equip it. Then I went back and he told me I had amazing potential to me a monk instead of a farmer. Then I had to go beat down some other novice monks with my special ability which depended on energy, so I did it, of course on auto-attack, making powerful flurries with said ability when I had the energy. Then I went back and talked to that dude he told me to snatch a flame from his hand. He was blown away that I managed to do it the first time. It wasn't even difficult at all. Isn't that great?

Then he told me to go upstairs and burn a scroll of temperance with that flame. In RL, I think this would be a mistake, but I had no choice, so I did as I was told. I went back and reported to the dude and he said we don't need no stinking temperance and that I was going to be one amazing special powerful ass-kicking monk in the brutal new world of strife.

Then he sent me to kick some top trainee's ass, which I did with the help of another special awesome monk much like the first battles when I had to beat down 6 regular trainees. Then I talked to the dude on a Chinese looking bridge and he told me to go talk to someone else. I did. I did this pretty much a few more times, but my fingers are getting tired of typing. I can write it all up if you readers want to know what I did in detail. Just let me know. It was actually fascinating.  I killed these sprite-like things, and gathered pieces of kindling, killed some orangutan-like things that jump on you and make you bleed, then went to talk to some more people and went into some caves and killed some elemental dudes and use some of the wood I gathered as kindling. It was great.

At one point, my wife came in to talk to me and I even kissed her while I was fighting some mobs and I didn't even have to pay attention or dodge or anything because the auto-attack and my monk's innate awesomeness just handled it.  I kind of paused in a temple somewhere. I have to go to a cave or another temple or something. I don't remember. Probably have to kill some stuff, gather some more stuff, talk to some people, do some stuff and go back to talk to them. No need for grouping yet. I can handle it all on my own. 

Totally fresh!  Awesome. And I'm a PANDA. Can you believe it? How bitchin' is that? A PANDA!1!!

And reading the zone chat is so enlightening. I think kids must have been back from school. The Americans and Australians were going at each other for being stupid and uneducated, etc. The Aussies, the majority on my server, who were vocal in local chat, then started bashing on Aboriginals for being on the dole, etc. I didn't read all of it though, so I can't tell you how that turned out.  

See y'all back in Pandaria!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    If MMOs = hamster wheels, then yeah I'm done and will move on, its just too bad I preoredered Pandaria before I came to this realization. What a waste of $40.

If you bought your copy digitally, consider asking for a refund, apparently companies frequently are willing to refund your money within 30 days of purchase.

But I would like to ask, what do you consider to be meaningful end game, might help in trying to recommend a different MMO to you.

BTW, I agree with you, I'm no longer able to play the modern day theme park MMO, hence I returned to EVE until DFUW releases.

But not sure if what either of those titles offers is what you really want.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    DF:unholy wars, less than 2 months away :)
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • InlorInlor Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    WTF are you suppoed to do in an MMO? Thats how MMO's are. Play a different Genre and stop whining.

No, that's not how MMOs need to be! Obviously you never played a sandbox MMO. And I think a sandbox MMO is exactly what the OP is looking for.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Inlor
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    WTF are you suppoed to do in an MMO? Thats how MMO's are. Play a different Genre and stop whining.

No, that's not how MMOs need to be! Obviously you never played a sandbox MMO. And I think a sandbox MMO is exactly what the OP is looking for.

image  There are plenty of a variety of MMOs to play that have a different experience than WoW.  TSW is a highly story driven, GW2 has a story element with variety plus likely one of the greatest PvP experiances of any themepark fantasy MMO, EVE is the ultimate sandbox PvP MMO, then there is FF XIV rebirth coming out and Neverwinter in early 2013.  WoW has a highly grind element with the exact same ol' combat that people are tired of which is what WoW will be as said a Blizz official when asked about how "Titan" will compete with WoW and the remark was that WoW will be an MMO based on the grindy elements it has.  How they beleive that players enjoy grinding is beyond me.

• InlorInlor Member Posts: 37

Well, I'm sick of it. I want an adventure. I want to stumble on to an quest. I want to be something other than what the current crop of mmos prvide. I get that I'm "whining" and should move on, but seriously when did mmos become mindless timewasters, when did they lose the sense of community? I'm tired of the rat race in mmos, my life is already full of rat races, I long for the escape mmos used to bring to me, an alternative universe. If the only option for an alternative universe is a rat race, I'm done, I'll stick to single player games that tell a story or just find new hobbies in real life.

Well, if you already have a Lvl. 80 toon and you would like an adventure, why did you return to WoW? Obviously you have played some expansions before and the all work in exact the same way. Tell you what, as you seem to have struggle getting in a Sci-Fi-MMO: UO is still around! Even EAs UO wipes the floor with all those wannabe MMOs out there. And if you are looking for the old UO feeling: There is a well known US freeshard with about 500 people logged on to every evening. Perhaps you should give it a try? And don't let you fool by graphics. The game depth is very extensive.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Psychow

Sounds like you are bored of gaming, not just WoW.

I realize the OP already cleared it up, but the answer you gave is used a bit too much in recent months.  He gave no indication that he's tired of gaming, just WoW.  Though I have to wonder why he was so excited about it less than two days ago if he knew it was going to be the same level + grind + heroics + raids treadmill for the 4th time.

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    @op Sounds like you should try more sandboxes. Unfortunately there aren't many good or bug free once out there. EVE is probably the best one. Perpetuum is EVE in mechs instead of ships and you can terraform the land etc. Also it's only been out alittle over a year so easier to catch up there then in EVE. Amazon have a gr8 beginners pack as well for 10 dollrs where you get more XP etc from start. Then there are Xsyon that also have terraforming and human avatars. And Mortal Online that is a fantasy MMO but rly hard to get into, and with alot of bugs etc. But if you look pass that it's one of the most immersive MMOs I've played. On the horizon we have the new Darkfall Unholy Wars. Gonna test it myself, but Im afraid it will be a big arena deathmatch with not so much sand in the box. But we'll have to wait and see. Looks good though. And then Archeage as well. But that one is 1-2 years away. Myself look forward to The Repopulation the most. But it will come late next year. So for now I play some Perp and MO, and then when DF:UW comes I test that. Hope you find a new MMO to call your home soon as well. But I as you, are done with themepark MMOs.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Norpan
    @op Sounds like you should try more sandboxes. .... / .... But I as you, are done with themepark MMOs.

I'm starting to feel that way too.  I'm not done with themeparks yet, GW2 will last me quite a while but I don't see anything better on the horizon in terms of themeparks, GW2 just cut it too finely to be 1-up'd anytime soon.  However, I'd really like to get into a sandbox game, but like you said there aren't many solid titles out there, and EvE's space theme doesn't do it for me.  I'm getting bored with MMOs, that's why I want to give sandboxes a try... I might even pay a sub if it's good enough. *gasp*

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Thanks to for the responses to my silly little rant, I know that my opinion realy doesn't matter other than to myself.

It is very tempting to ask for a refund, but I won't. It's my own damn fault for buying MoP, no one elses. I know Blizzard doesn't need the money, but I was the moron who bought it knowing i would probably be tired of it the first night. So out of principle I will not ask for a refund, I'll just cancel the sub and move on with my life.

I uninstalled WoW last night right after posting this thread, I'm not sure at this point if I'll  try EvE again or just watch for the darkfall release, what I am sure of is no more games with floating ! and ? for me. It's time to try something new, continuing to bash my head against the themeparks is insanity.

I appreciate the different game recommendations, and will be watching all of them to see if it is something different enough to get my MMO juices flowing again.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I'm already bored of Pandaria, got past a few quests and again was like, what is the point? Grind out five more levels, then grind out gear all over again... No thanks, I'll pass. When are they going to make another MMO that feels meaningful? When are they going to make an MMO that doesn't feel like an hamster wheel? Go kill ten of these, go pick up six of these, omg enough already. Sometimes I look at the NPC's and wonder if I would just rather be one of them, giving out quests to all of the hamsters frantically clicking on me for treats.

Maybe EQ3, maybe.

You might look at EQ2 but it has some pretty bad issues that'll never be resolved.

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157

I'm already bored of Pandaria, got past a few quests and again was like, what is the point? Grind out five more levels, then grind out gear all over again...

No thanks, I'll pass.

When are they going to make another MMO that feels meaningful? When are they going to make an MMO that doesn't feel like an hamster wheel? Go kill ten of these, go pick up six of these, omg enough already.

Sometimes I look at the NPC's and wonder if I would just rather be one of them, giving out quests to all of the hamsters frantically clicking on me for treats.

well you actually got what you paid for :p Wasn't expecting anything different than this... Blizzard hasn't been really known for their innovation. They are known as polishers, not as inventors. 

Seems like you are tired of themeparks which is quite normal (The market is saturated by them atm) and should try out a sandbox? Though I'm not that happy with sandboxes as they are now implemented...

Maybe try something different than EvE? Like the upcoming american version of Archeage?

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I hear ya, played the MoP beta, reached level 86 and uninstalled. Soooo boring and repetitive. Panderia is just the same old crap you've grown to hate about WoW, except now it's wrapped up in a shiny new Asian themed wrapper. There is no way in hell I could stomach leveling a toon to 90, no way. Especailly since they increased the amount of exp needed to level a few weeks before release.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I lost touch with WoW early in Cataclysm.  I just was no longer the target audience for WoW any longer.

The original Warcraft series RTS is a hoot though, if you want to continue living in a world with humans and orcs a little longer.  There are websites devoted just to explain to people how to set up DOSBox to run those older DOS games, even one just focused on Warcraft alone.  WC1 & WC2 are considered abandonware (unsupported, unbuyable, lost in time) .. WC2 was better than WC3, IMO, but I don't want to detail the thread.

Just giving a suggestion, since you seem to like the Warcraft universe a bunch, but (like many of us) no longer find any interest in WoW as an MMO.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Darn, I was hoping that MOP would be good enough to warant a purchase. Well I think in the mean time, you should prob just double check what type of genre you like. I know that as I got older I started gravitating more to fast paced fun as oppose to long drawn out battles.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Thanks to for the responses to my silly little rant, I know that my opinion realy doesn't matter other than to myself.

It is very tempting to ask for a refund, but I won't. It's my own damn fault for buying MoP, no one elses. I know Blizzard doesn't need the money, but I was the moron who bought it knowing i would probably be tired of it the first night. So out of principle I will not ask for a refund, I'll just cancel the sub and move on with my life.

I uninstalled WoW last night right after posting this thread, I'm not sure at this point if I'll  try EvE again or just watch for the darkfall release, what I am sure of is no more games with floating ! and ? for me. It's time to try something new, continuing to bash my head against the themeparks is insanity.

I appreciate the different game recommendations, and will be watching all of them to see if it is something different enough to get my MMO juices flowing again.

It's not you thats the problem Donk , it's games like WoW that make a hardcore RPG Experience into a boring easy grindfest, the game just screams boring.

I hear you as well like " Whats the point" I know I was in your shoes when I played WoW afew years back , but I gotta tell ya, those feelings were gone when I went back to EQ 1 , most hardcore mmorpg to date that and UO! At least those games required grouping unlike games that only group if it's for a dungeon , there is no NO Challege in WoW what so ever so thats why people like us get fed up of it, same old shit different shovel.

Personaly I am waiting for PS 2 and EQ next to release and I am watching Elder scrolls online and archage, at least those games seem interesting, we need a MMORPG like SWG , the way they had the crafting , exploration and player build cities and even the gathering was beyond epic , we need more of that and less of WoW!