Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The boring truth and the hype trainwreck that is GW2

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    All I can say is that I'm having much more fun in Planetside 2 than Guild Wars 2, so much so that I rarely if ever even log into GW2, except when the PS2 servers are down for updates.  Go figure, considering I'm not a big fan of action combat, heh.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    All I can say is that I'm having much more fun in Planetside 2 than Guild Wars 2, so much so that I rarely if ever even log into GW2, except when the PS2 servers are down for updates.  Go figure, considering I'm not a big fan of action combat, heh.

If WvW could be like this huh?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Gameplay and Combat: 6.0

I agree but there is something weird and good also,Grenadier Engineers ,it is actually skill based class (only one)

Gameplay and Combat there is close to 10 because of the challenge,you need to move and manually target  at the same time.

But because your pointer disappears every now and then and because of the camera and because you mostly cant see where you are targeting because of zerg or lag or terrain,i give it 9.5,and ofcourse people tab targeting vs manual targeter on the same game doesnt even make sense.

so Anet hear me,if you are still planning going eSport ,Grenadier Engi vs Grenadier Engi only and you might have something there (no other weapons allowed)

Let's internet

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Very honest and well thought out opinion of the game.  Too bad you don't like it but to each their own.  I'm enjoying it immensely even with some of the things I'm not fond of (not a big fan of the crafting, actually).

I assume then, since you don't like the game and are planning on moving on, that this will be the last word from you on the subject? 

Whenever you put money into a game, you automatically get a lifetime subscription to continually praise or complain against a game.  I find GW2 rather boring as well.

SWTOR had more social interaction, and that is just sad.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please don't derail the thread with another topic or speculation. Reports only alert the staff to something, but doesn't mean any action is taken.  Now, feel free to keep discussing the review but avoid derailing the thread again.

Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

sorry, but no, not true.  Recently, very recently, I've given honest opinions about the game in other topics, and I've honestly kept it rather mild.  There's no reaspon why my review would look any better.

I played for almost a month with my mouth shut. 

So before you were just strqaight up lieing? BUt but but but now you want to tell the truth and EVERYONE should listen and beleive you would give and honest opinion of the game. lmfao at you.

also. tell me what mmo is socialble nowaday? If i played wow still i could log on and do everyhting and never speak to one person in that game hell in any game really. cept eve i guess, i ask a lot of questions in that one.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Great review.  right on target.  I feel the exact same way...

"About the trinity (I know it is derailing the thread but I am a weak person and to my defence I cant help myself):

The problem is the AI of mobbs. It can not evolve with the trinity. If I was an elite boss, I would ignore the tank, and kill the DPSers and healers first.

A blind cow would.

To maintain the trinity is to limit the AI of mobbs to be lesser than a blind cow."

Actually, to remove the trinity would require to remove most AI from mobs as well as a sound strategy for defeating the mob.  Not really sure how you come to your conclusion...would like you to detail your findings please.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I agree but there is something weird and good also,Grenadier Engineers ,it is actually skill based class (only one)

You have extensivly tested all classes with all weapons thouroghly in PvE, dungeons and PvP already? Wow. I thought I played a lot.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    The game isn't for OP simple as that.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by Bjelar

You have extensivly tested all classes with all weapons thouroghly in PvE, dungeons and PvP already? Wow. I thought I played a lot.

when will fanbois realize that it's less about what you can do with your toon then what's needed to succeed.....this game is EASY...no real difficulty...it's also chaotic because there are no real roles for each person....

Like the OP said, DCUO combat is much more skill based and you HAVE to put everything in your arsenal to use to be successful....that's the difference..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The "We don't like your opinion so you can't keep posing it here" response isn't going to work.

Originally posted by Randayn

when will fanbois realize that it's less about what you can do with your toon then what's needed to succeed.....this game is EASY...no real difficulty...it's also chaotic because there are no real roles for each person....

Like the OP said, DCUO combat is much more skill based and you HAVE to put everything in your arsenal to use to be successful....that's the difference..

Did you just call me a fanboy? Please answer.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

a) roll character

b) go to heart mists

c) test your character

not that hard really.

Let's internet

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

sorry, but no, not true.  Recently, very recently, I've given honest opinions about the game in other topics, and I've honestly kept it rather mild.  There's no reaspon why my review would look any better.

I played for almost a month with my mouth shut. 

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and checked your post history, yes you've been dumping on the game for a good while lol. Your opinion doesn't seem to be inline with anyones, you've even tried saying there isn't any exploration in GW2 lol. 

So... your post history contradicted you, not sure what else to say other than I didn't agree with your review either lol. 

Originally posted by ForumPvP

a) roll character

b) go to heart mists

c) test your character

not that hard really.

Not hard, but quite time consuming. I started as an elementalist, and I've got five alignments and four weapons.... Warriors have 13 weapons I think.... To test each extensivly (it's not always crap because you don't master it within 5 min) would take aproximately forever for an old man like me. I agree youths should be able to do it faster, but everything I see tells me youths are overhyped.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Yes GW2 has problems, but OP seems to just be complaining because it doesn't compare with what he wanted it to be more than anything.

I would suggest re-writing your review without passing your complaints as facts, it will make for a better read and it won't come off as bad.

Fine, fine, excellent, but why report OP? For not having the opinions you expect? My adrenaline level is rising. I don't like that at all.

...or do you really see it as a fact because some random guy posted it on the internet? Come on.

I never reported the OP. Just think he should consider re-writing his review to be less biased.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Update:  Community: 2

Just look at how quickly and without provocation the replies become personal.  I'm a tool, I'm playing it wrong, etc.  Good stuff.  Also forgot to note how unsociable the game is, though there's so many topics about this in this forum and in the General one, that it pretty much goes without saying.

/snip

What irks me the most is how hyped up the game was by people making wild claims that were simply untrue after playing BWEs.  Claims about world vs world, and how awesome combat was seem so out of this world.

/snip

I'm glad that you have an opinion based upon your experience and took the time to write it.  Most dont and just stick to one liners, kudos.

Look at your title:

"The boring truth and hype trainwreck that is GW2"

You came into this looking for a fight, got one and are now complaining about it.  I can't take any of your review seriously because you couldn't even be subjective in your title.

I would be careful confusing subjective and objective.  It's what got you to buy GW2 and it's what you attempted to do with this thread.  I am truly sorry you bought the game and don't like it.

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

I bought this game to play with my son and for him it is good he is 12 years old.

I agree with the Poster this game is a 6.2 rating and bores me to death. I actully fall asleep while playing it, such a easy mode game.

I'm glad to say I'm back playing SWTOR and enjoying the pvp much more that GW2 has to offer.

I feel like I wasted 60$ on a kids game.

sigh.....

Ajax

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by ForumPvP

a) roll character

b) go to heart mists

c) test your character

not that hard really.

Not hard, but quite time consuming. I started as an elementalist, and I've got five alignments and four weapons.... Warriors have 13 weapons I think.... To test each extensivly (it's not always crap because you don't master it within 5 min) would take aproximately forever for an old man like me. I agree youths should be able to do it faster, but everything I see tells me youths are overhyped.

how does testing a build on dummies in the mist in anyway show how well it would play out in a dungeon or PVE in general or wvw for that matter

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Yes GW2 has problems, but OP seems to just be complaining because it doesn't compare with what he wanted it to be more than anything.

I would suggest re-writing your review without passing your complaints as facts, it will make for a better read and it won't come off as bad.

Fine, fine, excellent, but why report OP? For not having the opinions you expect? My adrenaline level is rising. I don't like that at all.

...or do you really see it as a fact because some random guy posted it on the internet? Come on.

I never reported the OP. Just think he should consider re-writing his review to be less biased.

Great. I did not mean to imply you reported him. As to your opinion, I happily disagree and believe he articulated himself quite accurately :)

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review? 

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Actually Id say its more along the lines of flat out misinforming, lying, and / or being completely oblivious and ignorant of what the game actually consists of while raging about it. Examples:

No Resource management - He mentioned nEcro, but completely ignored Thief which has Initiative to manage in order to use anything besides your #1 skill

Ranger pets - Anet has stated all along, Rangers wont be a pure range dps class and will be VERY reliant on their pets to be effective.

there's no real glass cannons -  Every class is a glass cannon if you build that way and actually leave the newbie zone

there's no powerful snipers - Try a Rifle + Crit spec Warrior. I play one myself. He seems to have only tried Ranger, and just assumed no other class would be capable of good ranged DPS, even though it's been known for a long time that all classes can also perform ranged combat.

There's no stealth class - funny, i could have sworn my Thief kept stealthing up repeatedly during combat. I must have been hallucinating.

There's no tanks - True as far as having a taunt, however you can definitely build your character defensively, and through learning to use positioning and CC properly protect the hell out of your allies. There is no single "tank" class, however most can play the role of protector / meathsield through different methods. Inability to grasp this and learn to build characters in such a way doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

There's no healers - Again, inability to grasp simple game mechanics dont make this true either. There are just no DEDICATED healer classes, which have just that 1 purpose. You can very easily setup your utilities and spec into the Trait line which (common effing sense here) says it boosts your HEALING stat. Not only do you directly boost the power of your heals but you also get additional bonuses to various heals and buffs, faster cooldowns on some of your heals, as well as procs. I think that the OP, along with many others, cant get beyond the whole thing where you have a slot to pick a skill for that says it is heals, and are somehow completely oblivious to the fact that there are a lot of Utility skills which also include heals, as well as skills which create combo fields that can allow everyone to heal themself off of your combo field. Your group is technically healing itself, but only because you who has that particular field that they can create placed it in an area where they are able to make use of it and create those heal combos.

most consider toughness/healing power/vit pointless to up with trait points  - HE considers the, to be pointles. those who have tried playing as a glass cannon and found themselves dying very very fast learned different. He must have missed all the threads where people were crying about things like "my guardian dies fast" becaue they expected to automatically be tanky without having to spec into it.

I continued to craft, but came up short on ingredients I needed, having to buy them off the trading post for more than I could really afford, I don't like it - He didnt HAVE to buy them ont he TP. Just go gather more. You know, actually work at getting something instead of crying its not instantly handed to you. Theres plenty of ways to make money as well. He whines about the money as if its extremely difficult to make some.

WVW: requires several players to get even the smallest task complete - Funny cause I run around solo or with 1 or 2 others all the time taking out resource carriers, taking over control points, and taking over supply camps. All of which give some decent rewards. The OPs incapability to do these things on his own and his need to rely on others doing all the work for him doesnt mean it cant be done.

They said that everyone was on equal footing in terms of character power, no matter what their level - This only does, and always has, applied to instanced PvP only. They never claimed everyone in WvWvW would be completely equal, only that there is not as huge of a gap in power as in most games. Go WvWvW at level 20, and be able to contribute a lot to winning fights vs level 80s in GW2, then go take a player thats at 1/4 the cap in any other game and go try to play vs max level, end game geared toons. Have fun getting 1 shot and doing practically no damage whatsoever to them. See the difference?

Anyway, theres more in there, but I think that list is plenty for now. [mod edit]

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Nightgroper

Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review? 

Funny, I don't see you complaining about the numerous near identical positive reviews about the game. 

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I prefer new threads as oppose to adding to old threads. But to this particular poster it is important that his opinion comes across. Most people want to give their view, and most of the time that requires their own thread. I know you would have pref them to attach their opinion to someone elses thread, but by creating his own the OP feels that his ideas are carried further. I think that is the general mentality, I know that I fall into the same category. While I see a ton of threads about the same topics, I feel the need to create my own personal thread and try to discuss the idea in a different way(even though the outcome may be the same).

Originally posted by Randayn

Did you just call me a fanboy? Please answer.

no, I called you a fanboi....no difference cept for the "i" replaces the "y"....this forum is milked to the bone with fanbois....claiming this game is difficult and requires skill....it's just plain false...my 7 year old plays this game all the time and has 0 difficulty killing things....I try to play, but realize I won't be challenged nor progress as much as most MMO's would offer.