Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Reshaping Darkfall's Sandbox

Comments

• goflishgoflish Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by odinsrath
    is the combat still gonna be like what i see on youtube from the old DF? people runing around randomly swinging in circles like an old "benny hill show" ..if so count me out..way out

they are swinging like that because they are not good melee players and don't know how to time their swings.

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32
    TBH DarkFall as it exists right now has the most interesting mob AI that I've seen . . . creatures actually flee from combat and then counterattack instead of mindlessly fighting to the death against even ridiculous odds as in 99.9% of MMOs.
  • KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Did I like Darkfall when I tried it? Yes, even tho it was very new for me and a refreshing view, compared to other mmorpgs. I WILL play this game when it comes out, I WILL spend atleast 24 hours on it before I can make a stand and I WILL look at the pros in this game, instead of finding cons. A game is better if we look past the problems and enjoy of what we got. I think I will have a great time, because that is the mood I will have when playing this in November! :)

• Cross fingers, hope they really have learned the mistakes in Df 1.0 and deliver a good new sandbox game. This is the last chance for them and the last hope for us.
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

It's a nice short interview for people who know little about the game, which is still a lot of people.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Unless AV somehow destroys the essence of everything that is Darkfall I feel confident in saying I will be playing the hell out of this game when it comes out.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by raistlinm

I think journalists need to really start to take a look at how to make their craft "pop" more, this article seemed to be a waste of space and words maybe it was my lack of immersion in the orignal Darkfall but nothing said in this article gave me a sense that I would want to play this game especially when considered against the information about the original DF.

Is this new game supposed to recapture the feeling that this is a true sandbox and not just some FFA PVP?!?!

What exactly is different in this game from the original DF?  Maybe it isn't the interviewers fault because Tasos seemed to dance around giving a clear answer that conveyed what this game is about.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Going to milk some more money out of the few hundred people who actually still play this game and new people who are blinded by words. Not buying into it.
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Having never played DF, I have to wonder what the Ganker/Griefer factor will be?  Some of the things I heard about the origional Darkfall in that regard kept me from ever giving it a try.

I actualy like Open World PvP but I prefer factional based PvP where you don't have to be concerned that EVERY player you meet is a closet sociopath just waiting till your back is turned to stab you.

The thing I like about factional PvP is that you have a built in set of Allies that have an enlightened self-interest to work with you against a common enemy.

The problem with FFA PvP, especialy for new players, is that it's really more like PvV (Player vs Victem). The engagement is so dispropotionaly stacked against the new player that they essentialy have ZERO chance of avoiding defeat. It actualy PREVENTS them from learning to play the game rather then teaches them to do so, and prevents them from finding some way to become a part of the game community.

It's a little bit like spawn camping in a FPS. If the player gets blown up before being able to take a step repeatedly...then the only thing they are learning is "DON'T Spawn".  If it's the only spawn point and it happens PERSISTANTLY over the course of multiple days all the new player is really being taught is "DON'T PLAY THIS GAME."

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I wish you would have asked how they would handle the launch distribution of the game, as in how will they be dealing with charging of it.

I'm aware that they said they wouldn't be charging existing owners of DF, but that was when they were just developing an expansion; not an entirely different game.

I'd really like to know if they plan to give UW to people who already purchased DF or if we'll be required to purchase this game as well.

What concerns me most is that the game is supposed to launch in two months, and the thing they keep concentrating most on is that it's a "new" game because of things like dynamic lighting.  Even when asked about how the gameplay changed between the two games they respond with dynamic lighting.  I'm really confused how visual upgrades have anything at all to do with gameplay. 

I'm having a bit of deja vu here.  They used to go on about 3d sound, and how sound will be a big part of the original DF, now with UW I'm seeing Tasos going about Dynamic lighting and how much they worked on sound in the game. 

You would think that two months before the launch they would be talkinga bout more then visual, sound, and UI upgrades; especially when this is supposed to be a new game. 

I have a feeling everyone will be required to pay for this new game, when they're really not doing anything that other MMO's will give you free as an xpac.  CCP comes to mind when I think of a sandbox MMO that releases xpacs that include a lot of graphical overhauls, as well as entirely new gameplay, and they've never pitched an expansion as a new game or charged anyone for an xpac. 

I'm also not fooled by your "a lot of people here know very little about DF" comment Bill.  I remember very clearly what you guys said for the reason why you had so much coverage on the original DF.  :) 

Controversy drives traffic. 

Originally posted by goflish
    Originally posted by odinsrath
    is the combat still gonna be like what i see on youtube from the old DF? people runing around randomly swinging in circles like an old "benny hill show" ..if so count me out..way out

they are swinging like that because they are not good melee players and don't know how to time their swings.

Your statement is untrue.  Tasos himself even said that they hoped to have addressed this issue with melee mechanics with UW.  He said in the video that they had resolved the sprinting in circles and swinging wildly as the way melee combat is resolved.

There is absolutely no reason to continue defending this when the developers own actions and statements clearly indicate that it was poorly done and so addressed in the new game. 

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

I would want more info on the sandbox part of the game and not news on how more awesome the pvp part of the game will be.

This game is advertized as a sandbox yet all the comments I see are that pve sucks majorly.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Flex1

I would want more info on the sandbox part of the game and not news on how more awesome the pvp part of the game will be.

This game is advertized as a sandbox yet all the comments I see are that pve sucks majorly.

my worries too, make me think if this game is a sandbox  or a excuse for a FPS PVP arena.

Even better would be for the developers, two months prior to it's release, to talk about something other than graphics and UI. 

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by 123443211234
    Darkfall is the BEST and most THRILLING game I have ever played.  DF UW will be absolutely amazing.  If you want to be on the edge of your seat with the adrenaline pumping then DF is for you!!

Well based on the dismal performance of DF... I'm going to guess DF UW will probably not be for many people.

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Either way definitely lookin forward to this! Bring it on!

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

my worries too, make me think if this game is a sandbox  or a excuse for a FPS PVP arena.

Exactly. Right now all I see is a Guild centered player vs player exclusive game. That is not sandbox, that is pure team pvp. A "sandbox" game needs both to be called that, player versus enviroment and player versus player. If a player wants to be an explorer and find secret places and fight mythical beasts then he should be able to do so, if another player wants to be a bandit trying to rob that explorer he should be able to do so too BUT the explorer doesn't exist here.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Ask broly's father to do the QA next time.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Exactly. Right now all I see is a Guild centered player vs player exclusive game. That is not sandbox, that is pure team pvp. A "sandbox" game needs both to be called that, player versus enviroment and player versus player. If a player wants to be an explorer and find secret places and fight mythical beasts then he should be able to do so, if another player wants to be a bandit trying to rob that explorer he should be able to do so too BUT the explorer doesn't exist here.

I would agree.  I even made a thread when the original game launched about it not being a true sandbox because of pretty much this.

Tasos said that they made UW with people who were hesitant to try the original DF in mind, yet they have have to say if they even bothered to address the PK system they have in place currently.  The PK system that was easily exploitable, and nonconsequential. 

There was so much ganking in the game because the PK system didn't adiquetely discourage people from killing other players.  And having people constantly running in front of you while you're fighting a mob off in the hopes that you'll hit them twice and turn grey so they can kill you without penalty was beyond annoying. 

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I still hope to hear word about mob AI and the pve element to the game. If that is fleshed out along side the pvp system the game will take off. If mobs are nothing more than a grind tool to level in order to do nothing else later but pvp the game will still be a barren wasteland and nothing more than a massive battleground disguised as an mmo.

The pve element to an mmo is critical. It's creates a living world and creates cause for war. Mobs should be a resource worth fighting over just like land and harvesting points. It of course interests those who think an mmo is more than just ganking people 24/7. The first Darkfall was just slightly more exciting than pong when fighting npc's.

is this opposite day?

DF has the best PVE by far of any MMO i've tried (almost all of them), and its one of its greatest attributes.  and it IS all those things you said it should be.

its all the other MMOs that need to catch up to Darkfall with their PVE mechanics.

and most of them ARE finally moving in that action direction after DF beat them by 3 years.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Uhwop

Even better would be for the developers, two months prior to it's release, to talk about something other than graphics and UI. 

i'd agree on the graphics part.

but the UI was probably THE #1 dealbreaker for most people with Darkfall.  i had a number of personal friends that said the gameplay and world itself was great but they just refused to get used to the quirks and all the needless complications/clunkiness of the UI.  and i couldn't blame them, even tho i personally found it worth getting used to.

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by corpusc
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I still hope to hear word about mob AI and the pve element to the game. If that is fleshed out along side the pvp system the game will take off. If mobs are nothing more than a grind tool to level in order to do nothing else later but pvp the game will still be a barren wasteland and nothing more than a massive battleground disguised as an mmo.

The pve element to an mmo is critical. It's creates a living world and creates cause for war. Mobs should be a resource worth fighting over just like land and harvesting points. It of course interests those who think an mmo is more than just ganking people 24/7. The first Darkfall was just slightly more exciting than pong when fighting npc's.

is this opposite day?

DF has the best PVE by far of any MMO i've tried (almost all of them), and its one of its greatest attributes.  and it IS all those things you said it should be.

its all the other MMOs that need to catch up to Darkfall with their PVE mechanics.

and most of them ARE finally moving in that action direction after DF beat them by 3 years.

What  the heck are you smoking?  DF pve was garbage.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    I just want  a skill cap in tha game, I dont like that you can max out all the skills. I know its hard to do but still., I want myself and others to have to make a choice on maxing out one thing and not getting another skill type.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

i've subbed the game for 4 or 5 months (spread out over 3 years), and exploring its vast and extremely immersive world has been probably about %70 of my reason for being in the game.  i spend more than half my time LONE WOLF exploring the world (and PVE'ing/questing).  and i've STILL explored only maybe %33 of it. 

and now that the grind has been reduced by a factor of 20x, you have the means and skills/stats to do it pretty safely as long as you keep watching your back.

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by corpusc

i've subbed the game for 4 or 5 months (spread out over 3 years), and exploring its vast and extremely immersive world has been probably about %70 of my reason for being in the game.  i spend more than half my time LONE WOLF exploring the world (and PVE'ing/questing).  and i've STILL explored only maybe %33 of it. 

and now that the grind has been reduced by a factor of 20x, you have the means and skills/stats to do it pretty safely as long as you keep watching your back.

Found the world mostly barren.