Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus for MoP... or not?

Comments

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

Anectdotal evidence.  I attempted to log into WoW last night at 8:15pm PST on the Kil'Jaeden server and was hit with a 2400 person queue.  It took me 1.4 hours to get in.  Needless to say the place was jam packed.

In the meantime, while I waited, I played GW2 and the Sanctum of Rall server seemed just as full as ever.

My conclusion....both games are doing just fine!      *Shock*  *Horror* *GASP*  You mean.....two games can both be good and popular at the same time?!?!?!       :)

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Grimlock426

Anectdotal evidence.  I attempted to log into WoW last night at 8:15pm PST on the Kil'Jaeden server and was hit with a 2400 person queue.  It took me 1.4 hours to get in.  Needless to say the place was jam packed.

In the meantime, while I waited, I played GW2 and the Sanctum of Rall server seemed just as full as ever.

My conclusion....both games are doing just fine!      *Shock*  *Horror* *GASP*  You mean.....two games can both be good and popular at the same time?!?!?!       :)

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

GW2 will lose a million subs by the end of the month. image

Nope, I doubt even one.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I don't think MOP will have anything to do with it but it is all over people sick of GW2 because it is just not there as a MMO.
  • warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

I was never a big WoW player. I have a single 80 that I spent 3 months on and then left. didn't play cata at all.

I got MoP. I tried MoP (a bit as a new panda, not end game). WoW definately has it's strengths. The sheer amount of content is staggering after 7 years of development, no doubt. It still has some fun and exciting mechanics too.

In the end, it is the past though. I realized this quickly when I couldn't stand not being mobile amongst other things.

I will probably dabble in WoW a bit since I paid for MoP already, but it's not enough to convince me to leave a game like GW2.

No exodus here!

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    I'll do a population check when i get home today.
  • CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49
    Using my wife as a barometer, since she has yet to give up WoW; she logged in and rolled a panda played 15 minutes then logged  off to read a book.  I doubt we will see a mass exodus.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'm not worried about people leaving for MoP, so much as just people leaving, the same way they've left every other MMO.  Or maybe more accurately, the lack of new people picking the game up, to offset that.

Anyone else play in low level areas, notice they seem to be getting pretty sparse?  The people who outleveled them to sit around at 80 are a tiny niche, compared to all the casuals that should still be populating the game.  I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority who got bored and quit, never got anywhere near 80.

I know some consider this sky-is-falling nonsense, and if you think doing as well as most other MMOs is fine, I can understand that.. but I was hoping this game would do a lot better.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Nope, checked last night at 3am before I went to bed.  All servers but 2 were high.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    A bunch did leave, but I think it was more so due to people just not liking the game rather then for MoP. People who liked the WvW likely haven't really left which would be why it hasn't really lost much in terms of wait time.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Anyone else play in low level areas, notice they seem to be getting pretty sparse?

I went back to various low level areas recently to complete stuff like jumping puzzles, and they were well populated, players everywhere. Not as much as during release week of course, but that's normal, same happens with any MMORPG, but still definitely far from dead and far from sparse.

Gandara server, EU.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Clocksimus
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan Originally posted by Kost Originally posted by The_Korrigan You can't get to max level in either games in 2 days unless you are using extreme powerleveling with no sleep, cold pizza and a toilet seat as computer chair.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1202123-World-First-level-90 4 hours. Anyone who claims WoW isn't the easiest MMO on the market is kidding themselves.
    I mean from 1 to max level. Not from 85 to 90.
    Wasn't the first 80 in GW2 under 24 hours? So by that even if one could get 1-90 in 2 days, GW2 is still the easier MMO to level in.

I know someone from SWG (he used to be cool but now he's a dick) that got to level 50 in less than a day in early access of SWTOR, needless to say he got banned pretty quick.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Angier2758

11 Full

11 High

2 Med

at 11:47 PM CST 9/25.

Still takes forever to get in Wvw.

I'm not seeing the mass exodus.

Please stay so I don't have to contend with more players than I already have to. Zones have been so packed thankfully no queue times to get into the server so I can't complain.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    its a new expantion to the most populous game in the genere, of course people are going to leave other games to give it a shot.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Zezda

I know how fond everyone is of the xfire stats on this site :-p

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Launch day for MoP and it's still behind. Not looking too good I would say.

And now it's twice as big :D Still it's funny how GW2 is 10x better than TOR :D 500mln MMO my ass.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Kost

No exodus on my world, Dragonbrand.

From what I have observed, my guild and friends are just as active today as they were yesterday. All the usual suspects are in the Mists or WvW. No change at all that I can see.

Yeah same (also on Dragonbrand), I can confirm there were just about the same amount of people last night... and the morning crowd seems about the same today.   

I am actually surprised that WoW isn't listed on those xfire charts as 10 times higher than any other MMO, as it supposedly has so many subscribers.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

That's pretty remarkable.

Sure WoW is only barely behind, but the fact that it's behind at all says a lot for how popular GW2 is.

WoW has now completely destroyed GW2 in terms of xfire stats :)

http://beta.xfire.com/games

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    there is a number of GW2 players who left already for wow that i know , and most are in agreement that the wow mop is a much better release then the current nothing to do endgame in GW2. Sorry im a GW2 fan somewhat and i just personally think MOP is a higher quality product though it might not be far since wows been out for years.
    Originally posted by cronius77
    there is a number of GW2 players who left already for wow that i know , and most are in agreement that the wow mop is a much better release then the current nothing to do endgame in GW2. Sorry im a GW2 fan somewhat and i just personally think MOP is a higher quality product though it might not be far since wows been out for years.

Well, having played WoW for years, from the beginning of TBC until Cata, I would disagree.   WoW is a great game, but GW2 is on par or better in many areas.  I find the endgame in GW2 great... lots to do, both in PvE, WvW, and sPvP.  

That's not to say that WoW is bad by any stretch, it's just getting a bit dated.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I am only disappointed by one thing. I have not participated in any GW2 pvp thus far in hopes that the wait times would be greatly reduced after MOP released.

It is selfish to be like that. I will probably make an effort to get some PVP over the next few nights to finish my monthly acheivement. The wait times do not seem promissing though. C'est la vie.

Originally posted by chefdiablo

I am only disappointed by one thing. I have not participated in any GW2 pvp thus far in hopes that the wait times would be greatly reduced after MOP released.

It is selfish to be like that. I will probably make an effort to get some PVP over the next few nights to finish my monthly acheivement. The wait times do not seem promissing though. C'est la vie.

Yeah I agree, it's a bit annoying with the WvW waits.   I'm not hugely hardcore about PvP, but still it would be nice not have to queue all the time.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Sure WoW is only barely behind, but the fact that it's behind at all says a lot for how popular GW2 is.

Actually if we take release dates for both GW2 and MOP expansion, GW2 destroyed MOP. The only way to accurately measure which one was succesfull in the xfire community is to wait a month from now and see if mop has the numbers GW2 has right now.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Amazing a game with 9 million players has more players than one with 2 million. Yes sir you have truly hit upon a massive anomaly here.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by dariuszp

And now it's twice as big :D Still it's funny how GW2 is 10x better than TOR :D 500mln MMO my ass.

GW2 is Free to play and is new, the only good thing better than swtor in gw2 is the WvWvW.  just wait to see the numbers of swtor with the F2P model, then u can make a fair comparision. 

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Amazing a game with 9 million players has more players than one with 2 million. Yes sir you have truly hit upon a massive anomaly here.

I am just throwing pointless xfire stats in the face of GW2 fanboys. Cause I remember they had quite a laugh posting those graphs where GW2 > WOW. I am just returning the favour :D

But yes it is amazing that an 8 year old game is being played more than a game which has been released in less than a month :P

At this time of the day, not a single server in NA or EU in GW2 is full. Like it was with gw1, the game will be pretty much a 2nd casual MMO.  

This discussion has been closed.