Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Praying that Titan is Blizzards Ace

Comments

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

All the hungry little kids in the world.

and you're praying for a video game.

lol.

Lol. I wish blizzard luck... Not much else though

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Titan better be amazing, because judging from Cataclysm and Diablo 3, it really seems like the second string dev teams took over those games while the A team has been put on the Titan project.

On another note, Blizzard is really being tight lipped about the Titan project, which is a first for Blizzard.  Usually they start the hype machine up 3 years before the game even is in Beta (or at least that what it seems like).

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by nickster29

Titan better be amazing, because judging from Cataclysm and Diablo 3, it really seems like the second string dev teams took over those games while the A team has been put on the Titan project.

On another note, Blizzard is really being tight lipped about the Titan project, which is a first for Blizzard.  Usually they start the hype machine up 3 years before the game even is in Beta (or at least that what it seems like).

titan will be a social f2p facebook game

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by DakkalordG

Now as much as most people hate Blizzard Entertainment and look at the Failure of Diablo 3 and the Ageing of World of Warcraft , Im still in love with the company . Because even though D3 was a flop and WoW is in its twilight years , Blizzard has also released Starcraft 2 , an extremely enjoyable RTS , and D2 , A hack in slash that has a place in most peoples hearts.

As well as that , WoW is still by far my favourite MMO and I have pre-ordered MoP because I still find enjoyment in playing WoW... Im hoping that Titan takes the torch from WoW and keeps Blizzards MMO scene alive and still allows me to proudly say "Blizzard are the best gaming Devs to date"

Possibly off topic, possibly not as it directly equates to what you consider success.

I know that D3 generated a lot of complaints, there were bugs and connection problems but in what universe is selling 3.5 million copies in 24 hours, 6.3 million in a week, over 10 million to date, the fastest selling PC game to date receiving scores of 8-9/10 by virtually every major publication and critic considered a flop?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

The numbers game is for buisnessmen and stockholders. This holds no real merit when it comes to the actual quality of a game. Blizzard is more of a company than a game studio. I hope none of this offends you, it's really not meant too, but sometimes studios will forsake their fanbase's wants versus what the new generations of gamers demand and expect.

I can't speak for Diablo fans, but I assume a lot of the reason was because of the new traits and almost 'easy-mode' character building which was key in D1&D2. While it didn't remove much for the new generation of gamers, it apparently rattled the fans. Like I said, I can't speak for them, I'm using examples from other threads. Fans will give you other feedback.

TL;DR; numbers != quality in a player's eyes. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by winter

Now as much as most people hate Blizzard Entertainment and look at the Failure of Diablo 3 and the Ageing of World of Warcraft , Im still in love with the company . Because even though D3 was a flop and WoW is in its twilight years , Blizzard has also released Starcraft 2 , an extremely enjoyable RTS , and D2 , A hack in slash that has a place in most peoples hearts.

As well as that , WoW is still by far my favourite MMO and I have pre-ordered MoP because I still find enjoyment in playing WoW... Im hoping that Titan takes the torch from WoW and keeps Blizzards MMO scene alive and still allows me to proudly say "Blizzard are the best gaming Devs to date"

Why? (You did not adequately answer that for me in your post)

I'm Praying Titan is Blizzards ace because I really love Blizzard and want to continue seeing them do well in the MMO scene

But why do you want that?

Because its good for the genre as a whole? More successfull titles bring more investor money into the gaming market? because while many people like to hate on Blizzard they still have made some great games int heir time and aren't any more money grubbing them say SOE, or EA?

because titan can well be better then anything currently being offered on the market to include GW2 and Daarkfall2.0 (the game of continued pushed back release dates and changed names :P)

So my question is why do you seemingly want titan to be a bad game?

How did you get that inference? 

CAll me weird but if someone states they hope a game will succeed and another keeps asking why would they want a game to succeed one tends to assume the asking player wants the game to fail. Hope I'm clear enough. true no facts there and assuming is bad, but generally a neutral player probably wouldn't ask so many times why another player wants a game to be good.

No, I'm not neutral on the subject, but I was genuinely looking for an answer with some substance to it.  It seems like a lot of people want one game to be successful from a purely monetary perspective, which I think is wrong as I feel that the quality of the gameplay should take precedence.  Usually they go hand in hand but not always.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I am hopeful titan will be an amazing game simply because of the unique situation the devs are in. They basically have unlimited time and resources and i hope they use this rare opportunity to blow us away.

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

I think it's easy to see where Titan will end up considering where WoW and other blizzard games have been trending. We are unlikely to receive a deep game that requires skill. They will also do everything they can to automate as many social functions as they can, like grouping, they will take away most of the social aspect of the MMO, just to cater to people who are to afraid to ask for a group in a video game. While wow has always been considered an easy game, they have consistently made it easier and required less of the players over the years.

I can't see this changing with Titan.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Lille7

I think it's easy to see where Titan will end up considering where WoW and other blizzard games have been trending. We are unlikely to receive a deep game that requires skill. They will also do everything they can to automate as many social functions as they can, like grouping, they will take away most of the social aspect of the MMO, just to cater to people who are to afraid to ask for a group in a video game. While wow has always been considered an easy game, they have consistently made it easier and required less of the players over the years.

I agree, and therefor i hope the leadership at Blizzards will change before the production of this new game gets too far. I was super excited of Titan a few years ago, but now i don't really even care if it launches or not, because i do know what it's going to be like.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Terrorizor
    Titan shows nothing more than vaporware, coming at a time where Activision is trying to sell off Blizzard. Who would buy a game development company that doesn't have some project they are working on.  I think it's just a ploy to keep the potential sales value higher. I doubt we will ever see anything more than what we already know - nothing.

Activision isn't selling off Blizzard. Vivendi is trying to sell off their 61% holding in Activision/Blizzard.

Point being is the Parent company is trying to sell it off! the company is worth more now than it will be in the future! See EA purchase of Bioware! Maybe M$ or Crapple will buy it!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

Possibly off topic, possibly not as it directly equates to what you consider success.

I know that D3 generated a lot of complaints, there were bugs and connection problems but in what universe is selling 3.5 million copies in 24 hours, 6.3 million in a week, over 10 million to date, the fastest selling PC game to date receiving scores of 8-9/10 by virtually every major publication and critic considered a flop?

Depends on what context one is discussing flop. Did it sell a lot of copies? Sure it did and you provide plenty of evidence to support your view. But what about discussing it in terms of value and entertainment, did it meet expectations? To many (me included) that is a huge no and I'd go as far as to say that to many people who have supported Blizzrd products in the past, this was a slap in the face. I don't think that just because box sells were high, the state and content of the game should be overlooked and this, as far as I am concerned, may have been the last Blizzard product I buy after what I feel has been shoddy products for years. I bought them on reputation and past games I enjoyed by the company but that has become a thing of the past in my eyes. Titan would have to be pretty damned amazing for me personally to want to buy it because I really have zero problems with nostalgia when I think about Blizzard. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

See my statement above.

See the portion I added before you quoted.

Opinion isn't something you can argue as factual, it's an opinion.  There is only one context when you label something as a flop, and that is it didn't sell or sold considerably less then it's predicessor, neither of which happened in the case of D3. 

You're attempting to argue your opinion against facts.  The guy your trying "prove wrong" gave you facts that can't be argued against with opinions. 

Just because you didn't like D3 doesn't make it a flop because you inject opinion into it.  10 million copies sold is a fact, and it's a fact that any game that sells that many copies is a success. 

Few games manage to sell 10 million copies, let alone 10 million in a months time.  Some of you here, where people are notoriously critical and have a general dislike of Blizzard, may not of liked the game, however it didn't sell all of it's copies in the first week.  People were still buying it several weeks later.  You don't sell a couple million copies of a game a few weeks after it releases because most people that purchased it disliked it.  If so many people didn't like the game, it wouldn't have managed to reach 10 million boxes sold, it would have sold heavily in its initial release and then simply died off. 

The fact is the game was received very well by the general gaming public, even if many people found some faults in it, and your opinion is entirely irrelevent to that fact. 

MoP is not Titan, Blizzard has stated that it's an entirely new IP and not like WoW. 

The OP did not make any assumptions about Titan, he stated his HOPES that it will be a good game that will continue Blizzards record of succesfull development. 

People around here are so full of spite and vinager that people can't even make a simple post expressing an opinion with anything to do with Blizzard without a bunch of people jumping on them to condemn their post and feelings. 

I am chastised. :)

My own opinion is that I hope Titan will be good.  The only thing I have to go by is WoW, I've enjoyed it off/on for many years.  Funny enough I still don't have a max level player in it.  I just take my time, do my own thing.  Wow let me do this. 

I am not sure but I think he meant me Venge. I couldn't tell because the meat of his rant didn't match what either of us wrote really so I could be wrong. In any case if it was directed my way, I wasn't arguing my opinion on anything, and I cetainly wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong, simply played devils advocate in stating that meaybe the OP erred in using flop instead of sucked but I understood what he meant without playine the senactic card. The rest was my personal input regarding Titan and Blizzard in general but was in no way stating my own opinions as anything other than how I feel about the brand. And I see someone else decided to play the numbers game and it feeds little into what the point was. I certainly didn't condemn anyones feelings and in a way I was agreeing with the OP, hence the confusion regarding the quoted rant.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Lille7

Good .. i don't play games for the social aspects. I will definitely check Titan out.

And easy games? D3 Inferno was so difficult out of the gate that they have to nerf it many times. Now they are putting in monster level so you can choose to have a difficult game (with better loot).

And most on WOW forums were complaining how DIFFICULT CATA heroics were right out of the gate, and blizz has to nerf it.

The only solution to have right challenge for everyone is what they are going to do in D3 1.05 .. have a difficulty option. Otherwise, many will complain the game is too difficult, and some elitists will complain it is too easy.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I am hopeful titan will be an amazing game simply because of the unique situation the devs are in. They basically have unlimited time and resources and i hope they use this rare opportunity to blow us away.

If you look at what they have done with all the billion's they have made. I have little hope for that. It seems like the more money they make, the less they want to give you for your dollar.

SC2: they basically took one game and divided it into 3

D3: the amount of content for $60 is pathetic (I was hoping a play through wasnt so damn short) never mind the RMAH

WoW: the amount of free content delivered for a game that brings in 100's of millions every year is absolutley pathetic. They could have a team of 300 making new content full time and still profit 100's of millions.

Blizzcon: you would think they would have some kind of customer appreciation day. Making loyal fans and customer's pay $35 or what ever it is, to watch the proceedings over the internet really show's they're true colours. (what a bargain it is to see Paul Mcartney live from up in the nose bleeds for $47)

I pretty sure I know what Titan will be all about and it wont be any good for your wallet. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

To the OP:

I feel with you. I once was like you and held Blizzard in high esteem. Throughout the years, they however have shown that Activision has consumed and corrupted that which we loved about Blizz; focussing on making a fun game instead of making profit.

I therefore think it's better to let this hollow shell of what once was a great company die. Sometimes, you have to let go in order to continue, and this holds also for the MMO market.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Older Blizzard games are held in my memory's special video game library reserved for games that were immersive, innovative and fun.

Newer Blizzard games are held in my "special discard pile", also known as the cardboard box in the corner of the basement holding all the games I would like to sell, but aren't even worth the gas to drive to the video game store. Oh, and DRM is vile.

I wonder which category Titan will fall under?

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Ace in the hole? I'm not so sure.

Remember those 600 layoffs a while back? I saw someone post that 60 of those were on the Titan project.

I'm skeptical that they'll risk changing any formula that has made them so much money in the past.  My guess would be that it's just another WoW in a skin named Titan.

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Wow has been with us for about 8 years (nov 04 to nov 12).  Let's say they have never dropped below 7 million subs. 

7 million x $15 / month x 12 months = 1 TRILLION, 260 MILLION dollars a year for 8 years so they have about 9 trillion dollars in income.  That's just the monthly fees, not the box sales.    You would think a company that makes 1 trillion or more a year could put out more than 4 expansions in 8 years!   Wow should be the BEST mmorpg on the planet because bliz should put that money into development, but no.   

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Wow is not the game it used to be thanks to the suits who now run the company and it's going to get worse and like I've posted in my posts on here when suits try to sell a sinking ship to save their investment then normal people need to look at what the invstors are doing. Because if they move then it's time for everyone to or you will be the last person looking for space on the lifeboat...Titanic springs to mind IMHO get out and stay out or you could be disappointed. Thier time has gone...

Bandit

Asbo

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    Im curious to see what it will be. Just hoping it will not be some rubbish like the kiddie one sony is running (name escapes me)!

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Depends on what context one is discussing flop. Did it sell a lot of copies? Sure it did and you provide plenty of evidence to support your view. But what about discussing it in terms of value and entertainment, did it meet expectations? To many (me included) that is a huge no and I'd go as far as to say that to many people who have supported Blizzrd products in the past, this was a slap in the face. I don't think that just because box sells were high, the state and content of the game should be overlooked and this, as far as I am concerned, may have been the last Blizzard product I buy after what I feel has been shoddy products for years. I bought them on reputation and past games I enjoyed by the company but that has become a thing of the past in my eyes. Titan would have to be pretty damned amazing for me personally to want to buy it because I really have zero problems with nostalgia when I think about Blizzard. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

See my statement above.

See the portion I added before you quoted.

Opinion isn't something you can argue as factual, it's an opinion.  There is only one context when you label something as a flop, and that is it didn't sell or sold considerably less then it's predicessor, neither of which happened in the case of D3. 

You're attempting to argue your opinion against facts.  The guy your trying "prove wrong" gave you facts that can't be argued against with opinions. 

Just because you didn't like D3 doesn't make it a flop because you inject opinion into it.  10 million copies sold is a fact, and it's a fact that any game that sells that many copies is a success. 

Few games manage to sell 10 million copies, let alone 10 million in a months time.  Some of you here, where people are notoriously critical and have a general dislike of Blizzard, may not of liked the game, however it didn't sell all of it's copies in the first week.  People were still buying it several weeks later.  You don't sell a couple million copies of a game a few weeks after it releases because most people that purchased it disliked it.  If so many people didn't like the game, it wouldn't have managed to reach 10 million boxes sold, it would have sold heavily in its initial release and then simply died off. 

The fact is the game was received very well by the general gaming public, even if many people found some faults in it, and your opinion is entirely irrelevent to that fact. 

MoP is not Titan, Blizzard has stated that it's an entirely new IP and not like WoW. 

The OP did not make any assumptions about Titan, he stated his HOPES that it will be a good game that will continue Blizzards record of succesfull development. 

People around here are so full of spite and vinager that people can't even make a simple post expressing an opinion with anything to do with Blizzard without a bunch of people jumping on them to condemn their post and feelings. 

I am chastised. :)

My own opinion is that I hope Titan will be good.  The only thing I have to go by is WoW, I've enjoyed it off/on for many years.  Funny enough I still don't have a max level player in it.  I just take my time, do my own thing.  Wow let me do this. 

I am not sure but I think he meant me Venge. I couldn't tell because the meat of his rant didn't match what either of us wrote really so I could be wrong. In any case if it was directed my way, I wasn't arguing my opinion on anything, and I cetainly wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong, simply played devils advocate in stating that meaybe the OP erred in using flop instead of sucked but I understood what he meant without playine the senactic card. The rest was my personal input regarding Titan and Blizzard in general but was in no way stating my own opinions as anything other than how I feel about the brand. And I see someone else decided to play the numbers game and it feeds little into what the point was. I certainly didn't condemn anyones feelings and in a way I was agreeing with the OP, hence the confusion regarding the quoted rant.

I was ideed addressing you and not the OP, because like you I also understood that the OP meant they didn't like the game. 

I was specifically addressing your "context of flop" in which there is only one.  Flop has never ment anything other failed, there is no other context in which you put it. 

You opinion, doesn't change fact.  A game did not flop when it sold 10 million copies.  And you can not claim it only sold as well as it did because of the names associated with it when it was still selling better then most games several weeks after it released. 

Word of mouth pushes sales beyond the first few weeks, not the title or developer name.  Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean that most people didn't.  If most people didn't like it, it wouldn't have reached 8.8 million AFTER THREE MONTHS. 

Yes it was a rant, and yes I think you're smart enough to have understood exactly what I was saying.  No, you did not state your opinion as just your opinion, you injected it as fact. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Damn people will get so disappointed with Titan.

It is not because it be good or bad game or because good or bad busines model - even if those things might play great role.

It is because no mmorpg will get as big dominance and big acclaim as WoW did.  Western mmorpg player base is not fresh and just creating and so most people won't go on as big comprmises as at WoW release.   + big game corporations are also focusing on other and broader consumers that in 10-15 (or more) years ago.

Titan might be big success or not - it won't be as huge smash hit as WoW was.

Keep dreaming OP, but I would look for other company to worship if I was you - propably not amongst biggest ones as well.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by benit59

2. Auction House instead of trade channels destroyed the community that previous versions of the game had and also marginalized the item hunt. If you can buy what you need at anytime then you only essentially are searching for one thing the whole time --- gold/cash. Congratulations, you eliminated the item hunt.

Unless you use the RMAH, you cannot afford any of the items on the AH, unless you find a item with comparable value. The really good items .. those costs 10M+ ... you can only afford to buy if you sell something similar.

You will never be able to afford by picking up gold or vendoring stuff.

You are always searching for that big ticket item .. so it does NOT eliminate the item hunt. Just that you do not have to hunt for YOUR class.

Right...so you aren't hunting for things you want because they are useful to you...you are hunting them because you can Auction them. You are essentially just looking for cash on those treasure goblins.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         I think BLizzard has peaked already, kinda like a musical group who's best album was their first.....Titan will probably be a decent game, but nowhere near the level of WoW or the impact it had.....There are too many other MMOs out now and it would be really difficult to ctach fire like that again....Im sure alot of people will try it, but it wont have 10 million subs after 8 years.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Mytob
    Im curious to see what it will be. Just hoping it will not be some rubbish like the kiddie one sony is running (name escapes me)!

Free Realms is probably what you are thinking of and yes it is garbage.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

2. Auction House instead of trade channels destroyed the community that previous versions of the game had and also marginalized the item hunt. If you can buy what you need at anytime then you only essentially are searching for one thing the whole time --- gold/cash. Congratulations, you eliminated the item hunt.

Unless you use the RMAH, you cannot afford any of the items on the AH, unless you find a item with comparable value. The really good items .. those costs 10M+ ... you can only afford to buy if you sell something similar.

You will never be able to afford by picking up gold or vendoring stuff.

You are always searching for that big ticket item .. so it does NOT eliminate the item hunt. Just that you do not have to hunt for YOUR class.

Right...so you aren't hunting for things you want because they are useful to you...you are hunting them because you can Auction them. You are essentially just looking for cash on those treasure goblins.

yeh .. and what is wrong with that?

It is thrill to see a legendary weapon that can sell for 20M gold.

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54

Why would you "Pray" for a video game?

You do realize that if God, or your God specifically, exists that the likelyhood of "It" caring about a video game is rather minimal.