Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bother you that people reach endgame in a couple of days?

Comments

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I confess that it bothers me. It shouldn't, as it's really none of my business what other people do. But what really bothers me is not so much the getting to endgame in a matter of hours or days, as the posting on forums that games suck because there's nothing to do.

Getting to endgame a hundred hours sooner than the content intended means content was skipped, exploits were used and/or the content was not actually consumed. Yet forum posters who say there's nothing to do are quite vocal and can really spoil a game. This bothers me. A lot. It's bad for the industry, and that's bad for us gamers.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    What another person does with a system put in front of them doesn't bother me at all. What surprises me is that developers spend years and millions of dollars to make a game focused on playing 10% of it.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The sad part is that "level, level, endgame" hasn't worked. The hope is that developers have seen this and we'll start seeing vast gameworlds again.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    what people forgot and i strongly believe thats why mmos all have become so bad, is that its about the ride, not about the destination...
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Aelious
    What another person does with a system put in front of them doesn't bother me at all. What surprises me is that developers spend years and millions of dollars to make a game focused on playing 10% of it.

i have to agree with you there. Such a complete waste.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Yes it does because any MMO that takes less than 6 months for 80% of the player base to hit max is a fail out the door. There has never been a successful casual AAA MMO (Mind you I don't judge money as success). They all fail because they lack content and challenges.

Well that's the most subjective thing I've ever read.

Going to have a hard time convincing anyone to agree with you on that one.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I just play the game.  I don't worry about what other people are doing unless they are helping me or I am helping them.  Other than that, someone running to "endgame" doesn't affect me one bit.  And if they say they're bored now, I'll call them on the fact that they rushed through and missed 70% of the game in the process.  Play how you play, have fun, and don't worry about what the elitists are doing.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    No
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    No. I really do not care how other people play. Most of the time it has nothing to do with the way I play. I think people are going to enjoy the game differently.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nope

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

If the game allows you to reach max level in 2 days or a week or even two weeks you can't blame that person,it's the devs who made the game that are to blame.

Some games are worst than other,take GW2 as an example.That game is beyond easy to level,it really promotes it by giving the player experiance for most things.

I play Vanguard as my main MMO and have done for 5+ years which is the complete oppersite,not as harsh as EQ but it takes a very long time to level.The game is so vast that you could not level one toon to 55 and see all the game,that would mean making 19 atls.

You have crafting which is a whole other game in itself,it has it's own armour and quests and takes just as long to level as adveturing.Then you have diplomacy which is the same,combine all these three and you are talking near on a year to level up in that game and that's just one character.

It took me 5 days to reach level 80 on my ranger in GW2.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Nope.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    It does when they get there and proceed to bitch about there being nothing to do.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    The only thing bothers me is those people start telling others they should not have fun because they feel the game is not fun anymore
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    IMO, an MMO should  be like a book and leveling should be about the journey, not a destination.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

It bothers me that such things are possible in an MMO.

Now, making alt classes IS the content which is a complete joke. Bring back the longer leveling.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

I always read about the old games that took a really long time to level and how it was much better then. 

Was there more content in those older games or where you just grinding the same things over and over ?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Yalexy

EDIT: Actually I'm still waiting for that MMO, where there's no leveling at all.

It's called Call of Duty, you should check it out some time. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Not really. I have a job, other video games, family and friends, other activities, etc. ... and I'm not a content locust. It's their loss for consuming the game in 48 hrs, not mine.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by rungard

i think what bothers people is that the same guy who just spent 100 hours straight playing a game to get to max level is now complaining that he is bored and the game sux.

Yep. Nail on head.

"I rushed to finish the game in a week and now that I've finished the game 'cause I rushed I am bored because I have nothing left to do AND I want to share my opinion with you because I feel I am special because I played more than you!"

But, but.... I'm hardcore!

there was an interview w Brad 6 years ago about playstyles and gamers that play "hardcore"

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59800

The first to speak on this was Brad. He took a few moments to put his thoughts together before talking about his personal experience. He mentioned that he tended to dislike the connotations associated with the term "hardcore" gamer. He and Jeff were both adamant that this was actually an unfair term to many that fit the description just based on the time and effort put in.

The negative connotations to this term bring to mind a player that is blinded to anything but their own desires and needs from the game content. They will power level through things at the speed of light neither looking right nor left to see what else or who else might be around. They take what they need without care to any that may be holding it and they are the ones that rush to the endgame and then complain that the game stinks because they have already "won". These are the folks that spend more time playing than most people put in at work in a given week.

Certainly, there are great players who are lucky to have the time and the ability to play countless hours who do not fit that negative connotation. They take time to quest, to talk to their guild mates or group mates, to enjoy the content without making a nuisance of themselves. It is this player that Brad and Jeff seemed to want to remove from the dishonor of the former example.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by SQTO

I always read about the old games that took a really long time to level and how it was much better then. 

Was there more content in those older games or where you just grinding the same things over and over ?

Fights took much longer, lots of downtime between fights, having to kill more mobs, travelling between places took more time. Areas were bigger, mobs were more spread out, and you actually had to decide where to go instead of having to remove your brain like some modern mmorpg does.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435
    Originally posted by fenistil

No it does not bother me that others reach endgame so fast.

It bothers me that game is made in a way that game is about max level activities and that it is reachable in matter of days.

Seriously if game is about running dungeons and pvp at max level, then what for levelling is even for? 

If game is about more or less completing another "maps" and never being in them again (unless on alt) then it is just a meaningless chore and I don't know why it is ever in game?  Levelling is not even a game - you just either follow an arrow or obnoxious amount of markers and pop-ups and complete insane amount of fast 10-20 min "quests".  Seriously it is parody of playing a game.

Also sometimes, when I'm really enjoying a game, I wish I could play more (sad but true). I do feel a bit annoyed that I seem to have so little free time compared to some people. It feel as if almost everyone playing MMOs can easily find about 50/60 hours in a week to keep playing. Usually by the time I'm mid level it's already deserted, if I actually reach end game then everyone has already left and moved on (at least with recent games). 

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Sicae
    Originally posted by SQTO

Fights took much longer, lots of downtime between fights, having to kill more mobs, travelling between places took more time. Areas were bigger, mobs were more spread out, and you actually had to decide where to go instead of having to remove your brain like some modern mmorpg does.

This and EQ was even more extreame.

If you wanted to get to a certain destination then you paid a player who played one of the porting classes to take you...ie wizard or druid.That still happens in lotro,sometimes it was quicker to ask a hunter to port you instead of  a horse ride.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by Yalexy EDIT: Actually I'm still waiting for that MMO, where there's no leveling at all.
    It's called Call of Duty, you should check it out some time. 

CoD is a shooter, not a MMO /facepalm

When saying I want a MMO without leveling, then think about a current MMO, but you create your character and choose from a set of skills and start playing, with no further accumulation of talents or increasing player-stats (e.g. no increase of stats like health, intelligece, strength or whatever).
    The only progression would come with knowledge about gamemechanics and customizable items, whereas there should only be very little difference between the starter-items and the so called epics, let's say some 25% maximum.
    And by customizable I mean customization like found in TSW, where you add stats to your core-items to match your setup.

Think about a MMO where there's character-creation and -progression like in Shadowrun (the pen and paper RPG).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Originally posted by sirphobos
    I do miss when reaching max level in an MMO took time and having a max level character was rare.

I don't miss this at all, as this is the most boring part of a MMO actually.

A MMO stands and falls with it's endgame content.

It's hard to agree or disagree with that.

If an mmo is "about" end game content then that makes sense. But I suspect there is a contingent of people who believe mmo's shouldn't have end game content. Just "content".

Personally I love leveling. I love creating a character and making it more powerful and honing its skills. But if the whole purpose is to lead me to some ridiculous end game then it's not worh it.

It's exceptionally artifical. Player plays "their way" to then reach cap and do instances or battleground pvp so they can get better gear so they can start over.

As opposed to players have challenges that effect the game world and their level/gear helps them to achieve their goals.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo