Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Borderlands the MMO?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Wouldn't Gearbox Software's Borderlands IP make for a great MMO? We certainly think so! Read on for our thoughts and let us know what you think.

I’ve had an (un)healthy obsession with Borderlands going back to the original release of the game in 2009. In general, I’m a fan of Gearbox Software’s work, especially with the Brothers in Arms series, but the studio really outdid itself with the original Borderlands and now Borderlands 2. With both games already aping many MMO tropes and with such a clear focus on a multiplayer experience, it really begs the question: should there be a Borderlands MMO?

Read more of Michael Bitton's Borderlands the MMO?

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Firefall.

Planetside.

Borderlands? Why not?

Don't give them any ideas.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Considering in less than five years the rate at which mmo players will return to play mmo's is less than 10 percent of todays current mmo gamers population... It won't matter.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I love Borderlands and now, Borderlands 2, they are my go-to games for when I need a quick pick me up or just in the mood for some mindless violence. Whenever I'm without an MMO, it's time to boot up Steam and play some Borderlands, happens everytime, I could just cut out the middle man and go straight to Borderlands.

A borderlands MMO would make for a pretty amazing experience, but, I'm pretty sure it would be a long and agonizing time away. It's best if they do have something, don't advertise it or even announce it, I would go crazy waiting for it.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Well, basically Borderlands has all that's needed to make it into a MMORPG, but a crafting-system.

The art-style is fanatastic, the humor is fantastic and the random weapons are aswell quiet nice. Add a crafting- and gathering-system to make pots and boosters, add some multiplayer-dungeons and add some PvP-maps or even a PvP-continent/sever/whatever and we're good to go.

Basically it would be nothing else then what Firefall is doing currently, but with a more RPG-style skill-system.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    MMO mechanics would ruin half the fun of borderlands. Can't be very badass when things are impossible to beat unless you are in a group. Sorry but if they start working on Borderlands Online it'll just ruin the franchaise. MMO needs balancing, balancing in loot games makes them no where near as fun. D3 is proof of that.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Mmm....I don't think Borderlands would offer anything games like Firefall wouldn't beyond its unique characters or storyline. I think we're finally starting to see that oversaturation of MMOs die down (on our side of the world, at least), I wouldn't want to see that pick up again just because they could. It'd have to be something very different and unique, something to separate itself from the competition, at which point it probably wouldn't be Borderlands anymore.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Love borderlands, but not everything needs to be an MMO. Why can't it just be one of the finest coop shooters ever made.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Somethings to note about Borderlands 2:

1. Boss fights are all extremely simple, the trash before the bosses are definitely more difficult than the bosses that they lead up to. In fact some might say that the game suffers from Diablo 3 syndrome in more than one way, but I'll get to that in a bit.

2. The comparison of loot between Borderlands 1, to Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 is the victim of restrictive loot tables, this absolutely  pigeon holes players into farming one specific boss hundreds of times. Sounds like fun right? Good luck getting a level 50 skullsmasher. Where as the Original Borderlands would have multiple locations for most loot, such as crimson chests, loot goons, and Bad Ass Lance types for pearlescent weapons.

3. Lack of content, this isn't exactly a D3 only problem, but rather a problem from most games that were released this year. Took me about 28 hours to beat the game twice over and realize I'm doing the same thing over and over again.

4. A serious disregard for play testing with real play testers, this is apparent to anyone who has ever worked in QA, or anyone who considers themselves a "Hardcore gamer" there is seriously no excuse for the Golden Key issue, the "Bee", or Salvador's "25m dps build". I wish more developers would take their testing more seriously sometimes.

5. Questing, yes while they did have a traditional questing system this doesn't mean that the quests themselves were necessarily "good" quests. Many of the quests felt like out of the way errand-esque tasks, these type of quests bother me so much. Then again maybe this one is me being absolutely dogmatic, but can you honestly say that this is the direction that games should continue to follow? Hell if they simply nixed all the parts where you have to turn in the quest, I would've been so much more happier.

I'm not saying that Borderlands 2 was a horrible game, in fact I rather liked it. I even like it more than Torchlight 2 currently, due to stability issues with TL2, but Gearbox as a company could use work on their content designers, and their play testers might need a once over as well.

OH GOOD FORMATTING FAILURES, FUCK IT!
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    A Borderlands loot system would be great, in any MMO.  Horribly unbalancing, but that's what would make it fun.  I hate MMO loot systems...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    I just made a coment in a GW2 thread that this game has sucked up ALL my entertainment time. Its soooo adicting and I never played part one. I thought it was going to be an ok game to play like 30 min at a time or what ever but OMG it ROCKS. Coop mode vs GW2 Dungeons IMO this game is far more fun. The loot is so rewarding. The Boss fights are outstanding. The art design is perfect. Looks excellent on the PC.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I for one would love a borderlands mmo and said it when I played the first one. Was playing and really liking firefall till gw2 dropped and that game seems to take a lot from borderlands but I think borderlands would be even better as an mmo.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I am loving Borderlands 2 at the moment. This is the first game in years that has made me stop playing whatever mmorpg I am playing and taken over. I think it could be a very successful mmorpg. Would need some thought though and a lot of work on it's mechanics. I say keep the loot system as it is.......Hilarity will ensue....Unless some fat b"£$ard Gunzerker is going for my purple sniper rifle..........That's not a eupemisum kids.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

As intradasting (my made up word) as a Borderlands2 MMO would be it'd still be a Linear Themepark.

Think about it, Borderlands 2 for its AWESOME loot system is nothing more than an FPS co-op version of WoW with much better graphics, and a LOT more hilarious to play.

However, the longevity of the title just isn't there. I've tried, it just gets boring redoing the content over and over just looking for cooler loot. :(

I'd rather have a Borderlands 2 open-world sandbox :).

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    would not play propably
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Having played the hell out of both games I can assure you that BL would not work as an MMO. It would fit very well if it used the same structure as GW1.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Strange, my post wasn't here when i come to look for it?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    Let's just not let this happen, please...
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Why should everything become an MMO? While I like Borderlands (1 and 2), I would not want to share my experience in an MMO enviroment. Where you get 4 co-op player running together when they want to in the current game(s), you would get masses of people running all over just ruining the experience. In fact, the more would not be the merrier in this game. So, no.....don't do it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

It's a meh game to me. Behind first borderlands I think there was 2 scenarios. It was developed as mmo but canceled or devs just used damn boring repetitive quest to fillout the game because story was short.

It's a hack'n'shoot fps one of a kind :O but it's not rly any good fps. All guns shoot this same you can distinct shotguns bacause they spray short range and explosives. Everything else is subject to the same random recoil system.

Using ADS is mandatory and weapon models are massive so horribly massive I'm asking why ? Why would sniper rifle with scope had to cover 80% of right half of my screeen even pistols are huge. In fps that respects gamers you can find config value to use 1/2 sized weapon models or none at all.

AI is typical. Artificial unInteligance enemies that either go at you or just shoot sparsly  using cover that never covers them enough exposing usually to headshots ( lol ).

Classes are the same as in previous game they just tossed them into blender and added bit of spice. So now you have sniper who can go puff and melee, handsome guy got turrent and so on. I must say this skill trees don't inspire me to level up. I get my ulti at 5 and I'm set bonuses from next couple passives are just boring and insignificant. More accuracy more damage with each skill point you don't rly feel any difference same as in the begining you just headshot everything and it dies.

Now more annoying stuff armored or what ever enmies :S You can't scratch thhem with huge sniper rifle round to the head but just take your scoped pistol BAM! dead. I'm like WTF ?

Trailers lie to you about having a melee system for Zero there is none you can just slap enemy in the face with press of a button and that's about it. Same stuff as in any other fps. You'd probably finish game before zero's melee would be at match with just shooting in the head. Not worth the hassle and nothing designed to be fun. Just by using 2 mouse buttons for light / heavy attacks and four 3hit combos out of it would mean world to me and it would probably take 3 days for dev team to make it polish and debug.

I'm dissapointed and bored by this game it doesn't score high in my book but it has it's positives.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Love borderlands, but not everything needs to be an MMO. Why can't it just be one of the finest coop shooters ever made.

maybe because doom, hexen, heretic, system shock and duke came like a decade before it ^^

ps: oopsie, finest not first. didnt say anything :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    oops, finest not first. being able to read is a clear advantage, my bad :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    HELL NO! let be what it is, a awesome game, dont fking spoil another great IP
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    I remember saying when I played the first Borderlands "God this would make an awesome MMO". They would have to stick to the same formula that made Borderlands what it is however. Deviating "because it's an MMO" would be BAD. I really hate when game developers use the old "it's an MMO" excuse to change things to the "same old same old". All they would really need to do is add crafting to the in place system. If you remember in Borderlands 1 in the DLC they had a whole encounter that was setup as a group encounter. If they did all of this I would imagine that the game would sell like hot cakes and be very successful. 

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com