Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Reshaping Darkfall's Sandbox

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

It really seemed like he didn't want to give any direct answers to the questions, very vague. So to me that makes it sound it will be years before this 'expansion' (though it sounds like a sequel) sees the light of day. 

In my opinion every indie open pvp mmo has failed to be successful like DF did because the devs don't seem to get that full unregulated pvp will never work due to gamers who like to grief new players/ lowbies.

Those griefers are apparently not able to get it through their heads that when they run off new players it hurts the developement of their mmo and its community as a whole.

Until DF devs can regulate/give consequence to griefers or pvp gamers evolve, the open pvp genre will always fail.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I invested a lot of grind into the original Darkfall. I would only consider trying the new Darkfall if I could carry over some 'skill points'.

Adventurine have wasted my time unnecessarily, and time is a commodity that is more precious than money.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    I'm not into DF myself, but I truly hope that DF:UW really delivers for all the fans that are excited about this.  Best of luck.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Every one in the mmo community needs to get behind this game, is has to be said its the only game out there thats truly different is a massive way than the typical "tab123themepark".  

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    No actual information there, just a very typical pr-presentation. Be interesting to hear actual nuts&bolts detailed information, from people actually playing/testing it.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

That new Ork model is hideous, looks like a lizardman more than an Ork.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Hope for the best now with darkfall 2.0/2010/unholy wars. Always good to have a player (Adventurine) that are doing something diffrent and something new.  But then again we are att mmorpg.com where we are all gonna sit down and hate on things.
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • MEGAFACEMEGAFACE Member Posts: 7
    Best pvp game ever, wish UW all the best
  • CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I gotta say I am really excited about DF:UW - this interview is alright, for the funs that have been folling the game everyday there is nothing really new here but its great for people who don't know what DF is or have heard bad things about it to reconsider playing it when it comes out on the 20th of November.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    From my perspective Hackers and player hunting starting area players what pervented this game form having a higher player base. Hope they correct these issues. I wish they wouldve asked this question on what is being done. Pics looked good.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    I can understand no new info, this interview is for the unordained. but no new screenshots for a game thats supposed to release in less than 2 months is very concerning.

My blog: image

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    Every one in the mmo community needs to get behind this game, is has to be said its the only game out there thats truly different is a massive way than the typical "tab123themepark".  

Steady on! Tasos refrained from giving detailed information.

We should also see some gameplay videos.

Be careful of 'spin' - Tasos said open spaces are fewer - this may not be an improvement - it could be an excuse for a smaller world.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'm a bit dissapointed in the info given. So far it sounds like the main changes are simply aesthetics and the world has gotten smaller. It is nice to hear the grind has been reduced. 

What I want to know is what elements, mechanics, etc. have been changed or added to turn DarkFall UW into an actual sandbox which was one of the biggest down falls of the original. 

Don't get me wrong, I liked DF a great deal short term but it wasn't a sandbox. it was a war game, and after being part of the first server war the game seemed boring after not nearly as exciting or dangerous as it was prior to the conclusion of the first war. Even the wars that came after were simply to small or uneventful for me to see a point in staying. 

I'm hoping that DF:UW decides what kind of game its attempting to be this time. 

If Sandbox - Then many changes need to be made to make it into a sandbox. 

If War game - Then they need to focus on creating an atmosphere that keeps wars like the first server war going. 

If neither one of these happen it will be like the first game, people go in, have fun, find no reason to stay and move on again. 

Pick a group you are developing for and develop the game for them so we can atleast know early on whether the game is for us or not. If you say sandbox PvP crowd again and fail to deliver you simply will not get a 3rd chance. This is just simple logic. Burn the same group twice and there simply won't be a 3rd opportunity from many at all. 

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    If it doesn't have a F2P model it will fail in the long run, plain and simple. An I do hope they are smart enough to realize that the second time around.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Why is everyone excited about that.  Yes it's a great concept, but if there one thing these devs have proved over the years with the original Darkfall is how incompetent they are.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

there are so many good things in DF, like the huge seamless map, naval combat, smart npc mobs, true skill based combat, deep magic system, but a full loot ffa mmo will never become popular wihtout a relatively safe area (like high sec in EvE).

it is just way too hard core for 98% of mmo players. the vast majoirty of players do not want to be forced to pvp, they want the choice to pvp when they get bored of pve.

they NEED to make a high safety zone or this kinds of game will never be able to sustain themselves financially.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I never heard of this game before, this game remind me of demon soul which is my favorite game.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

The why aren't you playing DF? DFUW is nothing new its just a remake of DF1 with the same basic ideas and developer that failed with DF1.

Call me what you will, but AV and Tasos have a long history of promising alot and then delaying, anf horribly underperforming. This is just more of the same. Tons of players hyped and were behind DF1 and it made no difference currently it has 5-10k players max and is gonna be wiped as soon as DFUW is released so Av can charge them for the game again. No with only alittle over 1 month till its supposed release AV still hasn't mentioned those players will get free copies to the new DF (At least not since DF2010  was planned)

Things they didn't learn from DF. ie no open beta. In DF1 they stated they only needed their in house AI and paid proffessional beta testers. They also stated the game was far away beyound many currently released games at the time. What they released was bug ridden and full of hacks missing many of the features they promissed would be in game.

Once againt they are promising same with the same lack of testing, and lack of real information.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I still hope to hear word about mob AI and the pve element to the game. If that is fleshed out along side the pvp system the game will take off. If mobs are nothing more than a grind tool to level in order to do nothing else later but pvp the game will still be a barren wasteland and nothing more than a massive battleground disguised as an mmo.

The pve element to an mmo is critical. It's creates a living world and creates cause for war. Mobs should be a resource worth fighting over just like land and harvesting points. It of course interests those who think an mmo is more than just ganking people 24/7. The first Darkfall was just slightly more exciting than pong when fighting npc's.

You stay sassy!

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    if i was hyped for GW2, for this, i am x3 times more!
  • 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Darkfall is the BEST and most THRILLING game I have ever played.  DF UW will be absolutely amazing.  If you want to be on the edge of your seat with the adrenaline pumping then DF is for you!!
  • naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I still hope to hear word about mob AI and the pve element to the game. If that is fleshed out along side the pvp system the game will take off. If mobs are nothing more than a grind tool to level in order to do nothing else later but pvp the game will still be a barren wasteland and nothing more than a massive battleground disguised as an mmo.

The pve element to an mmo is critical. It's creates a living world and creates cause for war. Mobs should be a resource worth fighting over just like land and harvesting points. It of course interests those who think an mmo is more than just ganking people 24/7. The first Darkfall was just slightly more exciting than pong when fighting npc's.

They have done alot to the PvE aswell. more logical placement of mobs, revamped dungeons, better AI .- mobs will also have a more impact and play a better purpose in terms of loot tables as far as i have been able to grasp

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814
    is the combat still gonna be like what i see on youtube from the old DF? people runing around randomly swinging in circles like an old "benny hill show" ..if so count me out..way out
  • leaf16nutleaf16nut Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Well it can't be any worse than Darkfall... Can it?
  • mxkingmxking Member Posts: 6

I think DF2.0 will be good.  It's a new game so learning will take place again.  It will be much faster than the orginal launch but still the game will be fun.  hopefully the developers will continue to expand upon and release new content for the game keeping it exciting.

For those of you who are afraid to get into a PvP oriented game where you can lose your stuff, don't worry about it.  Gear is really easy to obtain in this game.  You can always gave a steady supply of decent and good gear bags.  You may not have the best stuff all the time but it isn't that hard to get real close to it.

Give AV a chance to prove it with Darkfall 2.0.  They aren't stupid.  They made Darkfall.