Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The dungeon improvement thread

rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

The following are some ideas i had to improve the player experience. I havent done all the dungeons or paths yet, but i think i have played enough of them to form an opinion on the gameplay which i feel lacks a bit of direction.

Stances:

it would be nice if players could adopt a stance in dungeons that would give them a specific focus on things like crowd control, booning, conditioning (not damage) and healing and maybe even survival.

all it would really do is move allocated points from one pool to another. For instance if you assumed a healing stance you would shift x power, x precision, x condition damage into healing. This might make healing useful and give players (all classes can heal in some way) the idea that they have some roll.

in addition to the stat shift, you also get a 2x ground feild range for your stances focus.

your abilities wouldnt change at all, but the effectiveness of them would be altered and they would get more ground range as a result of the stance.

there would be no stance for improving damage. I consider that to be the default stance.

this change would allow players to perform a role when needed, and when not needed you can turn it off or choose another one. Since pretty much every class can do everything in this game, i think it would add a little strategy without "bringing back the dreaded trinity".

i dont consider respeccing because i want to do something different a very good system. If they wanted player respecs on the fly they should of made it possible from anywhere.

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

The current system is fine, learn to play.

No, ArenaNet is not going to change things to cater to bad players, so forget about it and stop suggesting that they should.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

They don't want your group to play in roles, you want roles. Result: Roles.

My perosnal opinion: No thanks.

I like when everyone has to put some effort into removing conditions rather than one guy. My Warrior may suck at removing other group players conditions (combared to Guardian) but in combination with even just 4 other warriors you can manage every exploremode Dungeon condition spamming encounter.

Same goes for healing, my helaing banner(s) may suck given they only heal 16.000 hp over 45 seconds but they sure help in combination with an elexier spamming engineer and ranger planting his spring well. (see no guardian and elementalist mentionted at all!).

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Kost

No, ArenaNet is not going to change things to cater to bad players, so forget about it and stop suggesting that they should.

yes ! shame on all who cannot kite, hit dodge through multiple aoes randomly hoping to dodge and res zerg, while using combo fields..... such skill involved in those tactics lol , honestly these dungeons require no less skill than well done pve content in many many games with 5-40 players over the yearsm if anything they require alot less did you notice how "cake easy" all the dungeons become once you get the hang of being so skilled ? damn even WoW's shitty new raids hardmode content is harder than this pus ridden excuses for dungeons, you people need to stop already im sorry but combo fields with there OP effects compared to everything else you can do as a charater  are just like your "oh s@#t" buttons in other mmos only you get to use them wayyy more often,the teamwork required to use them isnt remotely close to running a full raid properly doing the high end content, of course most hardcore GW2 players wouldnt know because they would never have reached that kind of content, im sure there are plenty who have but i doubt they are flailing around yelling how much skill GW2 takes LOL anyone who finds kiting mobs around in a dungeon a skilled task .... i cant even find the words to finish that sentence..... have a good day :D

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by skydiver12

They don't want your group to play in roles, you want roles. Result: Roles.

My perosnal opinion: No thanks.

I like when everyone has to put some effort into removing conditions rather than one guy. My Warrior may suck at removing other group players conditions (combared to Guardian) but in combination with even just 4 other warriors you can manage every exploremode Dungeon condition spamming encounter.

Same goes for healing, my helaing banner(s) may suck given they only heal 16.000 hp over 45 seconds but they sure help in combination with an elexier spamming engineer and ranger planting his spring well. (see no guardian and elementalist mentionted at all!).

no..im not asking for a trinity or anything close to that. Im not asking for castable heals or aggro abilities or even anything different from what they have.

i am asking for a little better strategy than what they have now.

Personally i find that dps builds are far superior to all other builds so i think something needs to change.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    DPS builds aren't far superior to everything else. DPS builds die in a second and graveyard zerg, losing money and time. Good builds are the ones with solid support skills, proper combo fields and good crowd control. Balanced builds that synergise with each other.
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Medicated03

yes ! shame on all who cannot kite, hit dodge through multiple aoes randomly hoping to dodge and res zerg, while using combo fields..... such skill involved in those tactics lol , honestly these dungeons require no less skill than well done pve content in many many games with 5-40 players over the yearsm if anything they require alot less did you notice how "cake easy" all the dungeons become once you get the hang of being so skilled ? damn even WoW's shitty new raids hardmode content is harder than this pus ridden excuses for dungeons, you people need to stop already im sorry but combo fields with there OP effects compared to everything else you can do as a charater  are just like your "oh s@#t" buttons in other mmos only you get to use them wayyy more often,the teamwork required to use them isnt remotely close to running a full raid properly doing the high end content, of course most hardcore GW2 players wouldnt know because they would never have reached that kind of content, im sure there are plenty who have but i doubt they are flailing around yelling how much skill GW2 takes LOL anyone who finds kiting mobs around in a dungeon a skilled task .... i cant even find the words to finish that sentence..... have a good day :D

I sit on the boss or heal the tank or dps the boss. I have a specific role and that role is so confined to such a small area of play that I cannot go much further out of that than I already am. I must conform to my specific role in all aspects, including gear and spec, there cannot be any better way since the game is cattered around the specific stats and specs for my class. I will get gear that, if getting enough, makes me roll even easier than before since the content becomes trivial by the time I get anywhere near the max tier gear for it. If I wanted to relive a dungeon or raid, I might as well not becuase it has become so trivial to me that I don't need to even try anymore.

Ya... so much more skill. You enjoy your pandas.

Originally posted by Scalpless
    DPS builds aren't far superior to everything else. DPS builds die in a second and graveyard zerg, losing money and time. Good builds are the ones with solid support skills, proper combo fields and good crowd control. Balanced builds that synergise with each other.

^ this.

Not sure what classes you have played where dps trumps survivability.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

not really. On my guardian i have a skill where i get endurance regen when i crirical.

the higher my critical score the more endurance regen i have.

The more endurance regen i have the more i can dodge.

Dodge>>>>>>>>>>vitality/toughness/healing.

so the ability to dodge a third time or even a fourth time is far superior to an extra 2-3khp or an extra 700 from a heal.

as long as i have my condition removal skills available its actually superior.

maybe im wrong? It doesnt seem that way.

Originally posted by rungard

not really. On my guardian i have a skill where i get endurance regen when i crirical.

the higher my critical score the more endurance regen i have.

The more endurance regen i have the more i can dodge.

Dodge>>>>>>>>>>vitality/toughness/healing.

so the ability to dodge a third time or even a fourth time is far superior to an extra 2-3khp or an extra 700 from a heal.

as long as i have my condition removal skills available its actually superior.

maybe im wrong? It doesnt seem that way.

Thats 1 class. I know from a lot of people that they have troubles with other classes due to the fact they didn't build some defenses.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

OP, I don't understand how you plan to improve dungeons by changing the stats? I would rather focus on making the dugneons more interesting and worth your while. Combat is just fine, dungeons are not.

What I would like to see is to make bosses and veteran mobs more interesting to fight. Making their dmg and hp super high and throwing tons of them into dungeon is not the way to do it. Gw1 had much more entertaining dungeons than Gw2.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

A couple things make dungeons great.

First is complexity.  A boss encounter needs to take advantage of the games unique brightspots.  For instance a game with multiple skill combination options might want to hone in on the games mechanic and ustilize the need to perhaps change skills around.  Or a game that highlights mobile combat might want to focus on mobile encounters ect.  

Having a DPS race as the main means of winning is lame and boring...even if they include some light dancework needed.

Second is the feeling of a well oiled machine.  You know that feeling you get (first part needs to be true must becomplex and difficult) when your in a solid group and everyone knows what they are doing and what roles they are suppose to fill?  Dungeons are suppose to highlight a games class diverity and roles through teamwork.  GW2 doesnt really have much class diversity, a major role is removed, and everyone has the ability to range+melee DPS with some support/CC.  End result is a boring encounter where everyones basically doing the same stuff.  Its like DE where everyone zergs it down and no ones a real winner or loser...only instead of a zerg your in a small group.

Theres no machine mechanics with the need for specific cogs in order to operate smoothly.

If your not going to give rewards that make players stand out as better (gear) then the dungeons have to be exceptionally fun or most wont bother...which doesnt help either

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Medicated03

I sit on the boss or heal the tank or dps the boss. I have a specific role and that role is so confined to such a small area of play that I cannot go much further out of that than I already am. I must conform to my specific role in all aspects, including gear and spec, there cannot be any better way since the game is cattered around the specific stats and specs for my class. I will get gear that, if getting enough, makes me roll even easier than before since the content becomes trivial by the time I get anywhere near the max tier gear for it. If I wanted to relive a dungeon or raid, I might as well not becuase it has become so trivial to me that I don't need to even try anymore.

Ya... so much more skill. You enjoy your pandas.

ya seeing as i havent had a WoW sub since 2009 that might be a problem,  i see your another one magically sitting on bosses healing tanking and dpsing with such ease in all the hard mode content that games offer, go try some hard dungeons in terra..... but ofc seeing as you play GW2 which takes skill to the extreme im sure any other game will pose you no challenge