Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Players, do You use Xfire ? (Poll)

Comments

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Just havinng an appropriately sized sample pool does not automatically make the poll an accurate representation. Take a political poll in the US that polls on a certain topic. If all of thier sample is in the same area in NYC it will have an entirely different outcome than the same sampling size from rural OK. The same is true with Xfire. True, you may have a decent sized polling group, but if all of the people who use Xfire have a particualr taste in games compared to those that do not use it, then you sample will be biased from the start.

Me, I dont use xfire, but I have been gaming since before the internet was born (yes I was gaming off tapes on PCs that didnt even have graphics yet, let alone a modem to connect to an internet).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    No I don't use it. I don't even know why anyone would but I suppose different strokes....
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Damzilla

Simple question, simple answer.

Rules: Question applies to GW2 players only. This poll isn't made to be a representative of the whole community, just a sample of the current MMORPG.com members - players. No trolling, flaming - keep it clean and civil - it's not that hard, is it ?

Keep in mind scientific polls are being made with as low as 500-1000 people to represent opinions of millions of people. Even if only 1% use xfire in statistics it is more than enough.

Good, at least partially correct.

Scientific polls require proper selection of their sample pops.  Self-selection is not good methodology.

Sample sizes are something that laymen tend to consider of paramount importance.  Sampling methods are what statisticians would consider first when vetting each other's work.

Anyway, we risk the verbosity bludgeon monsters of the X-fire Megathreads awakening from their slumber.  Let the sleeping dog lie.

YES. This ^

You cannot eliminate bias in your sample with self-selection.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Seriously what Is xfire, is it like MSN or something?
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Rules: Question applies to GW2 players only. This poll isn't made to be a representative of the whole community, just a sample of the current MMORPG.com members - players. No trolling, flaming - keep it clean and civil - it's not that hard, is it ?

Keep in mind scientific polls are being made with as low as 500-1000 people to represent opinions of millions of people. Even if only 1% use xfire in statistics it is more than enough.

Good, at least partially correct.

Scientific polls require proper selection of their sample pops.  Self-selection is not good methodology.

Sample sizes are something that laymen tend to consider of paramount importance.  Sampling methods are what statisticians would consider first when vetting each other's work.

Anyway, we risk the verbosity bludgeon monsters of the X-fire Megathreads awakening from their slumber.  Let the sleeping dog lie.

YES. This ^

You cannot eliminate bias in your sample with self-selection.

You guys don't get it. A poll on a forum is self-selection. The metacritic/mmorpg.com user scores are self selection. Xfire is NOT self selection. The vast majority of people who use xfire don't give a rat's ass about game population statistics. People use xfire to enhance their gaming experience, not to "vote" for their favorite game. The few that do are statistically insignificant when you are looking at trends and population shifts.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    never used it and not gonna use it in future. also never heared from any of my friends usin that crap :p
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by wartyxwt
    You could give me a £10k PC and I still wouldn't use this or any of that bloatware crap companies use to measure their penis size with.

I've heard something similar from a lot of people. While I find Xfire, GamerDNA, PlayFire and other gaming networks to be an interesting source of information and a neat toy, I can completely see why gamers who aren't into these things would not want to waste their system's resources on it. It would be intersting to find what band of the gaming community comprises the majority of XFire users.

Hmmm... looking at XFire, I just noticed that since 2006 I have played almost 500 hours of Asheron's Call. Probably more since I don't always run XFire. I never realized how frequently I would resub to AC until now.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Don't use it.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I HATE Apple products but I'm not an idiot - they are still *the* major player in the consumer tech market.

Actually, Android is beating iPhone big time...

Which is ironic considering the Android is a far inferior product.

Burgers vs Steak, Burgers vs Steak.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Well, the numbers are really interesting at the moment... I reckon we will have a lot more votes when the NA players wake up in a few hours. I encourage anyone who didn't vote to do so, every vote counts !

considering xfire shows little under 9k people out of the over 2 mil who got this game it's not surprising most people here don'tuse it

It's amusing that 10% of 113 votes seem to use it though, meaning a far greater proportion of mmorpg.com forumites use x-fire than that of the actual player base (shock, horror).

Not surprising we see x-fire "trend" threads here ad-nauseum but nowhere else :)

This is a forum. People with an agenda will vote yes even if they never used XFire, just to prove some "point.

Talk about paranoid. Assuming that is the case then the other way around works as well. People with agenda will vote no, even if they use XFire, just to prove some "point".

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Well, the numbers are really interesting at the moment... I reckon we will have a lot more votes when the NA players wake up in a few hours. I encourage anyone who didn't vote to do so, every vote counts !

considering xfire shows little under 9k people out of the over 2 mil who got this game it's not surprising most people here don'tuse it

It's amusing that 10% of 113 votes seem to use it though, meaning a far greater proportion of mmorpg.com forumites use x-fire than that of the actual player base (shock, horror).

Not surprising we see x-fire "trend" threads here ad-nauseum but nowhere else :)

You are making two false conclusions here. First, that only 9k of XFire users are playing GW 2. 9k users are the number that are playing right now. That is not the same number as number of people playing at any time of day or week. That number is far larger.

Second, you are conclusing that this poll reflects how many who are using this site is also using XFire. That is again a false conclusion because this post is posted on the GW 2 forums. If it was posted on the main page then what you are concluding is correct, but it is currently not. That is actually an example of a disrepresented sample, one thing that people critical of XFire is doing where the truth is that no one know how representetive XFire is or not.

• ParchmentParchment Member Posts: 24

I voted no. I tried it a few years back ... but I never stuck with it. Most guilds I've been in use Teamspeak or Vent for voice communication and do not use XFire. For text communication out-of-game, I've found that the people I know or play with use Steam.

One does not simply telnet into Mordor.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Of course, to reveal my answer : I voted no. Never really had contact with Xfire accept on this site. Seeing so many posts about it sparked my curiosity and I made this poll, especially since people tend to study these statistics quite a bit.

People use XFire numbers because so many people do use XFire that it makes it easy to compare one game to another and to apply the downward trends on XFire to the broader audience of the whole game.

It is no different then when CNN does a poll to see who is more likely to get voted for. They don't poll the over 330 million americans, they poll a couple thousand people and those results are applied to the whole of the nation.

The main argument against ever using XFire numbers for anything is that there are gamers who don't use it so it can't possibly be representative of anything. That argument completely misses how scientific studies and polls are done. You never need the entire group, only a small piece of the group.

But yes GW2 had dropped down to 4th on the XFire chart and isn't far from 5th. WoW has gone back up to 2nd and is almost twice the game hours now as GW2 has. GW2, like all MMOs in recent years, has a steadily declining population as it will for the first 2/3 months and then the decline will slow down, as it does for all MMOs. This isn't something to be defensive about, it is the nature of the industry and how gamers currently approach it.

This is a forum. People with an agenda will vote yes even if they never used XFire, just to prove some "point.

And no fan would ever possibly vote no even if they do use XFire to help show how "meaningless" the declining GW2 numbers are on XFire.

Yeah... it goes both ways.

• ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107
    I installed it once way back when it first started. I only ever used it once, possibly twice, and honestly since then I couldn't see the point of it so never installed again. For one thing I like to conserve space, also I like to keep running processes to a minimum to increase game response.
  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Funny.  A few weeks ago, the GW2 fans were bragging about how high their xfire numbers were.  Now you can't run away from the stats fast enough.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Nope. Find it and similar products to be absoloutely useless. Though I do love how it continually gets trotted out as accurate when someone wants to crow "Woot! My game is beating your game", but then holds zero meaning when it shows the contrary.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    As i have stated many times, I just use it to watch the trends within a given game

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by BrooksTech
    Funny.  A few weeks ago, the GW2 fans were bragging about how high their xfire numbers were.  Now you can't run away from the stats fast enough.

The numbers were high just as you expect when a new expansion or game hits the market. Now they are going down a bit and will rise back up if the game is good and as soon as the shiny wears off the panda.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

But yes GW2 had dropped down to 4th on the XFire chart and isn't far from 5th. WoW has gone back up to 2nd and is almost twice the game hours now as GW2 has. GW2, like all MMOs in recent years, has a steadily declining population as it will for the first 2/3 months and then the decline will slow down, as it does for all MMOs. This isn't something to be defensive about, it is the nature of the industry and how gamers currently approach it.

news flash, Blizzard just released an expansion yesterday. What surprised me is that WoW's numbers were not in the high 80's or low 90's. Wasn't but a year or two back WoW never dipped below 125 - 150 K hours.

I miss DAoC

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I try to keep my PC as clean as possible. There are far too many programs like XFire or the various downloaders that use resources or just impact performance for my taste.

All in all I have no need for the extras. I have found that sooner or later they miss updates or cause conflicts or crashes.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Scientific polls makes use of a large pool of different groups. Xfire is a group on its own and as such unrepresentive of everything except it's own populace.

Ok, so Vanguard is truely the most played mmo?

What are you saying?

What is the purpose of the poll in the OP?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

news flash, Blizzard just released an expansion yesterday. What surprised me is that WoW's numbers were not in the high 80's or low 90's. Wasn't but a year or two back WoW never dipped below 125 - 150 K hours.

And your point is that GW2 people jumped ship to WoW which cause WoW's numbers to pop back up and GW2 numbers to drop significantly?

I don't see how that helps the GW2 fan's point of view.

I hate WoW and don't play it. I tried GW2 and it sucks to be blunt. I don't care which one does better, I just like XFire arguments because it is amazing the things people will come up with to explain why their game isn't doing so well.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Nope. I don't like anymore software on my computer than is absolutely necessary.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."