Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW didnt destroy MMOS UO and EQ did

With their Planes Of Destruction and Age of Shadows.

Comments

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Planes of Power. And it may have brought the beginnings of easy-mode with that expansion...but honestly...no one has embellished it more than WoW has.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by thrallsfang

LOL ROFL , oooooook

Wow is the bane of mmorpgs which made mmos easy and pointless, Planes of power EverQuest plane of Disease was tough as hell and fun , whats the hardest thing wow has? Nothing , it's a watered down mmorpg that brought and destroyed grouping and being socialable.

EQ could take you 4+ years to get max level, Epic quest down , plus all raids done , wow , 1 month tops , it just stupid easy and shouldn't even be called a mmorpg.

• lucifer963lucifer963 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Aeolron

EQ could take you 4+ years to get max level, Epic quest down , plus all raids done , wow , 1 month tops , it just stupid easy and shouldn't even be called a mmorpg.

Agree. MMORPG was fun because it took time for players to grow, to explore, to experience. Games nowaday are like instant food...

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

LOL ROFL , oooooook

Wow is the bane of mmorpgs which made mmos easy and pointless, Planes of power EverQuest plane of Disease was tough as hell and fun , whats the hardest thing wow has? Nothing , it's a watered down mmorpg that brought and destroyed grouping and being socialable.

I've been playing Wow off/on for 5 years and my highest is only lvl 70.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

When it comes to Ultima Online, it was close to perfection when Origin was running it (until EA bought the company and the game).

Though as a whole I do enjoy it when a game takes a long time to get something done.  It's probably why I stuck with FFXI for so long, and why I subscribed to FFXIV once they started to charge simply to level up the disciple of the hand (crafting) classes.  It's been about a year and I only have two professions maxed out going into the second version of the game.

That feeling when you feel like you accomplished something... and it actually has lucrative benefits since few are willing to do it.  Awesome.  :3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

WoW sadly brought in the masses and made big dev companeis realise they could have some of that pie so started to copy wow as much as they could..

It totally broke nearly all MMORPGs released after it..

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

LOL ROFL , oooooook

I agree,anyone who thinks the Planes were easy has never played EQ imo.I used to love kiting Planes Of Nightmare with my Bard though lol.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

LOL ROFL , oooooook

I've been playing Wow off/on for 5 years and my highest is only lvl 70.

Yeah but that's through choice not because it's hard to level up.

• Mennix1Mennix1 Member Posts: 4

EQ maintains enough subs to make profit. Like it or not, there are enough who like it more than you do, no matter upgrades, graphics...

EQ players are still having fun with their game. Why bitch about that?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow didn't break any game it improved the genre, however blizzard homogenised the product in later years throu greed, and failed to invest knowing fine well they had a monopoly on their hands. As with any industry, monopolies unchallenged by authority suppress the market indirectly.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    WoW didn't destroy MMOs. Other game companies noticed what WoW changed from EQ but didn't notice what stayed the same i.e. a world, so they copied what WoW changed and neglected what WoW kept.
    That's not quite true, mmorgs copied what wow done, but there is already a game that does these things- wow.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335
    The OP is trolling you.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

close thread for trolling plz.....thank you :)

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    That's not quite true, mmorgs copied what wow done, but there is already a game that does these things- wow.

They didn't though. Look at EQ's world or WoW's world and compare them with most of the games that came after until GW2. Most of them stripped the world part of the game to the bare minimum and the world is part of what grabs people.

(I'm not saying that's the whole reason but it's part of it imo.)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I agree with op with regards to EQ but not uo.

Wow was actually a fun game until about a year before bc when the hired all them hardcore raiders from EQ.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 owes much of its world design and general philosophy to daoc NOT EQ.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Gw2 owes much of its world design and general philosophy to daoc NOT EQ.

I never said it did. The old games all had a world because at the time the game companies thought these games *needed* a world and WoW followed that belief. After WoW most game companies seem to have decided they didn't need a world. All they needed was a single linear solo quest path (or two if they were planning on endgame pvp).

So like i said, other game companies not Blizzard, noticed what WoW had changed but not what they kept.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Sorry OP but I'm going to have to disagree with you. If anything, it's the other way around.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The whole "destroy" thing regarding games is silly anyway. It's like when children talk about their superheroes. "My Batman beats your Green Lantern any day!" "No way it doesn't! Green Lantern just fetches his superweapon and kills Batman!" "Nooooo! With the new expansion, Batman has his superduper equipment that's much better!"

T_T

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    The casual hordes is what destroyed mmos, too much money involved, the only solution is to kill alot of people, say 7/10th of the earths population, then we'll get our true sandbox mmorpg. 
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Wow takes alot of flak (and is mostly undeserved) for "destroying" MMOs.

Wow was a fun and casual game. I loved it. Loved raiding, exploring and the very high quality themepark which it was. That said, it was different. I personally enjoy sandbox games and loved UO also. Its not an "either/or" as many of us enjoy both types of games depending on mood.

The problem was WOW became very succesful and the money began rolling in and the "casual" and "mainstream" market jumped on board. After this everyone copied WOW and generally simplified things further.... And further... And further...

Its really sad because there should be some choice in game styles not WOW clones (and I personally do not feeel EQ was like WOW AT ALL) but there isnt. Everything now is simplified and casual friendly and "everyone wins". Usually quite easy with very little death penalty and totally dev controled theme park with no impact on the world. There is a place for these games- But there should be a place for AAA sandboxes as well.

Prime Example: I am having fun with GW2 in a casual way. Log in, mess around and have a bit of fun- But there is very little "depth" there. Sometimes I do not want depth, hell sometimes I want to p-lay team Fortress 2 for some mindless battle... But these games cannot keep me occupied like the games of old .

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

LOL ROFL , oooooook

I agree,anyone who thinks the Planes were easy has never played EQ imo.I used to love kiting Planes Of Nightmare with my Bard though lol.

I never said it was easy. Just it first brought quick teleportation that reduced world exploration. It was still a tougher expasion then anything I saw in WoW. Which I opersonally only played until just before BC.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    In hindsight SoE could have done more to spread the locale and progression of PoP out, would agree with that.

It can be argued that there wouldn't be as big of a market for MMOs had WoW not done what it did and be the game it is. It brought people into the fold that would not have been there otherwise.

Is that a bad thing? Smaller market = less budget but more budget =/= great MMOs, within reason. It's a close call with the fallout this year but with so many potential customers it should entice a big developer to bring something different that's better.
    No company is blameless here tup, but if you look at overall behaviour it is blizzard that introduced feature stripping and simplification. Other companies implicitly followed this model by copying wow post-strip.