Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if your an older gamer wow is not for you.

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Entris38
    Originally posted by Theocritus
          Thats OK we'll be playing the adult games anyway...You can have your battlenet kiddies community.

Out of curiosity, which games are those? Just curious if there is an mmo I haven't played. Didn't know there was a separate adult genre of MMO's.

Leisure Suit Larry Online obviously ;)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by stromp45
    Im 42 years old and im enjoying the new xpac. but got to say i really hate what they did to the skill tree . they made it to simple not sure what age there shooting for but once you get use to it its still a fun game.

They completely destroyed the whole talent trees and came up with an abomination like this! /facepalm

This goes beyond dumbification. It seems the only target audience is 12 year olds from now on. /shrug

I am glad I just resubbed for a month to check out, without wasting money on the expac itself.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I bought the game.

Leveling a Monk between now and Storm Legion.

Sure the game is dumber than ever, but leveling a brand new class is still fun enough to be worth the cost.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Kaneth
          Thats OK we'll be playing the adult games anyway...You can have your battlenet kiddies community.

Out of curiosity, which games are those? Just curious if there is an mmo I haven't played. Didn't know there was a separate adult genre of MMO's.

Lol, I do remember the early years of Larry..........

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Real MMO vets started way before WoW, anyway age means nothing in a computer game
  • DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    dumbest thread ever... 
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've been playing MMOs since the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL, and I play WoW...I also play Rift, but I play WoW a little more.  WoW is great for older players, since you can jump in, do a raid, and get out in like 30 minutes.  This way you always have time to do at least one raid in WoW hehe.  I do miss when it was alot longer, but I just don't have the time anymore to do 2-3 hour raids.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Windowlicking good. LOTRO still retains its standard complexity and it's where I will be staying, not WoW.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Shewrogs
    And I'm more than happy with dumbing down. 

Bads usually don't complain when a new crutch is added allowing them to continue skating by on the merits of others.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

I was talking to some of the older gamers who have played for 7 years in wow have not purchased mop on ventrilo. They told me its not the same, skill tree is not the same etc etc or its not vanilla wow. If your over 35 years old its time to move on from wow, blizzard made the changes especially skill tree so you can customize to deal with raid bosses or pvp on the fly. You customize the new skill tree on the fly on different encounters. Wow is changing to fit the needs of 20 year olds and college kids. In fact most of my friend who purchased are over 20 years old and are in college. Wow changed for the younger demographic market and no for old wow players, or old mmo players. You guys needs to accept this and move on.

Blizzard's goal is not here to retain old 2004 wow players, mop was designed to get those 20 year olds and college kids demographics with mop hence why the changes. They are sheding off old 2004 wow players and get those new generations of 20 year olds market, and it makes sence. Blizzard is smart.

Not saying your wrong about MoP being aimed at a younger crowd, but if these older vets didn't buy the game, and haven't even tried MoP aren't they baasically making their statements with no facts to back it up? ie "MoP WoW is for kids because i know it has pandas and because i said so."

I haven't played WoW in years, maybe I'm even guilty of the above as i haven't tried the new lesser choice skill tree system but tend to believe it must be dumbed down from anything that gives more choice. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I was talking to some of the older gamers who have played for 7 years in wow have not purchased mop on ventrilo. They told me its not the same, skill tree is not the same etc etc or its not vanilla wow. If your over 35 years old its time to move on from wow, blizzard made the changes especially skill tree so you can customize to deal with raid bosses or pvp on the fly. You customize the new skill tree on the fly on different encounters. Wow is changing to fit the needs of 20 year olds and college kids. In fact most of my friend who purchased are over 20 years old and are in college. Wow changed for the younger demographic market and no for old wow players, or old mmo players. You guys needs to accept this and move on.

Blizzard's goal is not here to retain old 2004 wow players, mop was designed to get those 20 year olds and college kids demographics with mop hence why the changes. They are sheding off old 2004 wow players and get those new generations of 20 year olds market, and it makes sence. Blizzard is smart.

It's always good strategy to alienate your current playerbase in favor of gaining a new one. Econ lol.

First, i don't like the generalization that "20 somethings" are what WoW is being built for. It's a fact that WoW has a specific themepark mindset to it, and that is NOT dependant on age.

Second, NGE much?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by freston
    A pity. I am 45 so i cant play wow, id like to give Rift a try but my favourite colour is blue and that game is specifically tailored for people who prefer mauve tones. GW2 is also out of the question, as im a manchester united fan and only glasgow rangers play gw2. Perhaps EVE? I like pepperoni on pizza, i ll have to ask wht are Eve policies on the subject.

A simplistic but effective marketing strategy!

Think of it like the job world; not what you know, but who.  Choose your favorite beverage, and wait for Random Person On The Internet to tell you what game you should be playing.  'Oh no, no dark ale players in here. We're cognac drinkers!'

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Oh, I don't know, I have a buddy who just discovered mmo's and more specifically WoW, and he loves the game.

Of course he was a warcraft fan from the start.

He's 45.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

There may be some amount of truth to it. Maybe the exact premise of this hypothesis isn't corrent (age), but WoW definitely isn't made to cater to me any longer, regardless of the reason.

From the last time I was in Azeroth, I would have guessed "Maturity" based on the community alone. One bad apple may not spoil the bunch, but wow was trade chat full of a lot of bad apples.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I happen to be 40. What game should I play instead of this? Also, while we are at it, what food should I eat? What people should I associate myself with? Should I switch to non-fat milk or stick with the 2%?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Didnt need to read the OP...his title strikes me as a :  Duh, no shit !   sort of fact  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Frankly the "old" mmo'ers from eq days sucked. Their games sucked..their adultness was gauged in how ling they could sit in a seat grinding. Most sit around complaining that time does not equal leetness. Face it like my grandmother thinking talking movies were for kids times have passed you.
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

I must say I am impressed how many 35+ year old gamers responded in this thread.

I myself am 44.

Back on point. This thread is garbage and it is hard to believe it has gotten this many replies. (I know, I am not helping matters).

The entire premise is a rash generalization based on age which is completely irrelevant to why someone would continue to support WoW in it's current state.

If the OP is actually a 20 something college student there is something wrong with our education system. His post is full of basic spelling and gramatical errors.

My betting he is more around 14, a Blizz fanboy (not that there is anything wrong with this) based on all of his posts. His user name does not exactly scream "young adult".

He is trolling in the name of WoW.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

In all fairness, I dislike all modern theme park MMORPG's equally, as none of them are for a more "ahem" mature gamer like myself. (translation, I'm a cranky old BitterVet™ who hates most everything new)

That's OK though, always have EVE as my fallback title, so it's all good.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Yeah yeah yeah. And if you're and older gentleman this hot teen girl is not for you either.

Sometimes you out-grow the things you love.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Hey OP I think I'm old enough to decide for myself what game is or isn't for me.
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Somewhat accurate post, to be honest.

They're goal isn't playerbase retention but creating a new one entirely - and yes, things have been as dumbed down as it's possible to be in favour of Little Timmy and Wanda the soccer mom's casual nature.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Kaneth

That would be a major hit. Especially if it was a sandbox...

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

What????

I'm an older gamer and I love it! I'm a working man so I can afford a good computer aswell and oooh boy.... PANDARIA IS AMAZING!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by freston
    A pity. I am 45 so i cant play wow, id like to give Rift a try but my favourite colour is blue and that game is specifically tailored for people who prefer mauve tones. GW2 is also out of the question, as im a manchester united fan and only glasgow rangers play gw2. Perhaps EVE? I like pepperoni on pizza, i ll have to ask wht are Eve policies on the subject.

I was gonna go with "WTF", but this ^ says it better.

This discussion has been closed.