Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Internal Shakeup

KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/25/secret-worlds-new-dance-move-the-internal-shakeup/

So, I heard folks say that when Ragnar leaves its time to jump ship. What about if he moves? Seems he's taking a lesser role and by the quote in the article it seems he's not really going to be doing much in the game anymore, almost sounds like a farewell:

“As creative director, I will continue to be involved with the story and universe and overall direction, but I will also take a few steps back and let Joel lead the team and maintain the vision and direction for the game, together with the very talented Scott Junior, who takes over my duties as producer.”

“For now, I just want you all to know that I’ve treasured and appreciated my time managing The Secret World. Interacting with you guys – our passionate and loyal community – has been a joy and a privilege, and I will continue to be involved on a daily basis. But with a new management team in charge of the game, I’m also finally going to be able to enjoy The Secret World as a fan and a player.”

Comments

• AtrusHomeboyAtrusHomeboy Member Posts: 28

"As creative director, I will continue to be involved with the story and universe and overall direction..."

As long as he still has a hand in guiding the game and Joel's helping move the game forward, I'm happy. Besides, Ragnar DOES have Dreamfall Chapters to work on!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by AtrusHomeboy

"As creative director, I will continue to be involved with the story and universe and overall direction..."

As long as he still has a hand in guiding the game and Joel's helping move the game forward, I'm happy. Besides, Ragnar DOES have Dreamfall Chapters to work on!

Yes, its just the tone seems very "goodbye my friends".

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Somebody is taking over his game and he will continue to be involved ... yeah right.   Again you have to read past the fluff, he is going to have little to no involvement.  Basically Ragnar is out of the equation and is probably only being kept around to be used later as a scapegoat.  Similar in a way to what they did to Gaute with AOC.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by fallenlords

Somebody is taking over his game and he will continue to be involved ... yeah right.   Again you have to read past the fluff, he is going to have little to no involvement.  Basically Ragnar is out of the equation and is probably only being kept around to be used later as a scapegoat.  Similar in a way to what they did to Gaute with AOC.

Gaute was a douche and a hack, no other words for it. I like Ragnar's vision for a game and communication around it far, far more than the obnoxious way how Gaute handled things. It may not have gotten the success and revenue streams it deserved, but kudos for a truly great setting and theme in an industry that has become riddled with the same old, overused tropes and themes over and over again. But hey, I won't expect people who have an eternal grudge against FC to understand that *shrug*
  • GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Ragnar isn't leaving and he's still involved with TSW - so I'm not worried.

Originally posted by GR3NDEL

It doesn't bother you he basically has moved to a way lesser role? Does no one else think that if the game would have been successfull he would still be doing his thing? I just think they are shutting the door on things.

Originally posted by Kuppa

It doesn't bother you he basically has moved to a way lesser role? Does no one else think that if the game would have been successfull he would still be doing his thing? I just think they are shutting the door on things.

Kuppa - It doesn't bother me at all.  You can extrapolate as much 'doom and gloom' from the announcement that you wish - but I'm not.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    he's distancing himself from the trainwreck and promoted a scapegoat.  Ragnar can see the writing on the wall.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

It's really nice how the battle posters of the other games always show up, when there is time and space for the old "I-assume-and-therefore-it-is-fact" game.

Hodor!

Originally posted by tyfon
    [mod edit]

Im just brining the news and my thoughts. Its not a personal opinion thread.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Reminds me of Aoc lifecycle
    1 sack the original ideas guy (bruusgard)
    2 put an Aussie in charge
    3 ??? wowify it, make it a raid grinder
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Reminds me of Aoc lifecycle
    1 sack the original ideas guy (bruusgard)
    2 put an Aussie in charge
    3 ??? wowify it, make it a raid grinder

Except of course, Ragnar hasn't been 'sacked' - at least at this time, Ragnar appears to still be very involved in the game's development.  Going forward, we'll see if that bears out or not.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Well i just don't think there is very much left for Ragnar to do on the game at the moment. He has written the story for the next years and put forth a plan that the programmers has to follow. He will be supervising how that work goes, and have imput on different things. Natural if you ask me.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Ragnar has mentioned the workload that comes along with being the front guy in management, and how it gets in the way of other things he'd rather do, like storytelling. So while it might have been a demotion, he might be pretty relieved that 1) he still has a job and 2) that job is to be creative and not shuffle as much paper.

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

I think we all agree that Ragnar is a great, if not the greatest storyteller hired by any mmo company currently.

That he now focuses on what he does best, instead of the daily management of the game sounds better to me.

He makes stories and promotes ideas, while Joel makes it come to life ingame.

Originally posted by Chtuga

I think we all agree(no we dont) that Ragnar is a great, if not the greatest storyteller(not even close) hired by any mmo company currently.

That he now focuses on what he does best, instead of the daily management of the game sounds better to me.

same things were said of Brad Mcquad and Richard Garriot and David Allen...hmm where are they now..

—Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Kenze

I think we all agree(no we dont) that Ragnar is a great, if not the greatest storyteller(not even close) hired by any mmo company currently.

same things were said of Brad Mcquad and Richard Garriot and David Allen...hmm where are they now..

Hmmmm.... doesn't really matter, does it?  I'm sure if Ragnar gets sacked you'll be here cheering on his misfortune, and if he doesn't get sacked you'll find something else to complain about.

Hmmmm.... doesn't really matter, does it?  I'm sure if Ragnar gets sacked you'll be here cheering on his misfortune, and if he doesn't get sacked you'll find something else to complain about.

welcome to the internet. If Ragnar gets sacked he'll have NOONE to blame but himself, he was in charge , he made the decisions. And if there was nothing to complain about TSW would have about 150k more subs, not my fault..just a FACT.

—Lao-Tze

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Brad McQuad became a drug addict during Vanguard's development and lost total control.

Richard Garriott was during Tabula Rasa's development more busy giving parties at his mansion and lobying for money to get his ass in space.

Those are two great examples of people who's ego got the better of them, instead of focussing on making a great game.

Cheers