Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Reshaping Darkfall's Sandbox

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With last week's announcement that Darkfall: Unholy Wars would be arriving in November, a lot of excitement was generated here and around the web. We managed to Aventurine General Manager Tasos Flambouras to talk about Darkfall: Unholy Wars. See what we discovered before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG.com: You mentioned working with the community on Unholy Wars, how much impact do they have on the design of the game?

Tasos Flambouras: As I mentioned, we took great consideration of the community’s suggestions for Darkfall Unholy Wars, and listened to the problems they had with the old game. Our new GUI and the roles system we implemented were heavily influenced by our community’s remarks, and we will continue listening to them, not only throughout the final stretch before the launch of Darkfall Unholy Wars, but especially after the launch.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Darkfall: Unholy Wars - Reshaping Darkfall's Sandbox.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    no new info there... you need to ask better questions next time..

Push for new info that we dont have already..
  • MandatoryDDsMandatoryDDs Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Believe it or not, there are a lot of folks, even here, who know very little about Darkfall or Unholy Wars.  We're just beginning coverage of this one folks, so hang in there.  

Well please continue to give it exposure as DF is a great game and the more people that know about it the better for us all in the long run. 

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Not really anything new but it is always nice to see Darkfall/indie game related articles getting put out so good work on that.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    I'm still not sold on this new role system they are putting in. It seems like you will be limited to a certain type of skill for whatever role you're currently in. I.E. If you choose a major role, then you will only be able to use mage skills.. What if I wanted to be a mage that is also a blacksmith? Is this possible? I don't really know or understand.. but it seems like I wouldn't be able to from what I have read.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Believe it or not, there are a lot of folks, even here, who know very little about Darkfall or Unholy Wars.  We're just beginning coverage of this one folks, so hang in there.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am on board for this game and really hope it delivers.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    2 year anniversary? DF launched in July 2009.
  • MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    Thanks for the info Tasos and MMORPG!

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • MifunMifun Member Posts: 1
    It's pretty strange that no one ask the most important question, are d0rfs still in game? Agon's dwarf community demands the pic!
  • ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Great news. Hopefully they start showing us some gameplay footage soon. I was a Darkfall vet and left some time ago due to the Devs lack of support and lack of ability to ever even come close to  hitting there goals/deadlines.

I will be there on day one as long as they can visually show me that this game has changed and is now ready for primetime.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The basic gist here is that they finally realized the old Darkfall was broken and not really fixable so now they are going to make everyone that plays this game start over in a new game with updated graphics and  a new skill system.  

Let us hope they have learned from their mistakes.  Have to give them credit though, they are still in business while many other games have faded away.

For those of you who spent months/years macroing skills up, get ready to do it again. 

• dutchmandutchman Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Darkfall had it problems but we i loved it. It is already anticipated in the crew i run whit, altho we are a bit sceptical and taking things whit a pintch of salt after all the previous problems.  Especially on the PR side of things.
  • MarioLemieuxMarioLemieux Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by afropuff420

I'm still not sold on this new role system they are putting in. It seems like you will be limited to a certain type of skill for whatever role you're currently in. I.E. If you choose a major role, then you will only be able to use mage skills.. What if I wanted to be a mage that is also a blacksmith? Is this possible? I don't really know or understand.. but it seems like I wouldn't be able to from what I have read.

For what I understand, the role system will work in a similar way of the current specifications (destro, indestructible), but with more unique abilities. I don't think that it will lock down any crafting skills or any other non-pvp skill. And I don't think that it will lock other type of offensive, for example I'm sure the mage will still be able to use a bow or a melee weapon, but he'll not have the special bows and melee abilities that warriors and skirmishers will have, just like destroyers currently don't have access to elemental magics.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Interesting you should mention that actually. For some reason a few of us got to talking about mmos in map chat (GW2) a couple of nights ago (instigated by the usual "but WoW.." comment).

Long story short, outside of the major hyped mmos and/or WoW (SWTOR/GW2), not all that many really knew about other mmos or what other mmos were coming up for release. Although a few did know about EVE through reputation.

For all the talk about popularity/fails/sub numbers that we get on this site and others like it, it just goes to show that really, there is a massive amount of gamers out there who simply don't know about what's on offer.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I am looking forward to this game. I enjoyed darkfall but I didnt have the time to dedicate to it. I dont think it will be a smash it though. While I wish it or a game like it would break through to the masses, I still fear that people will play and be turned off by open world pvp and tuck their heads and run back to standard theme parks.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

fair enough .. hope to see more soon :)

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32
    Very excited for this . . . frankly the only major sandbox that I have hope for in the short term.
  • Spool1Spool1 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Hype hype hype hype!
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I think journalists need to really start to take a look at how to make their craft "pop" more, this article seemed to be a waste of space and words maybe it was my lack of immersion in the orignal Darkfall but nothing said in this article gave me a sense that I would want to play this game especially when considered against the information about the original DF.

Is this new game supposed to recapture the feeling that this is a true sandbox and not just some FFA PVP?!?!

What exactly is different in this game from the original DF?  Maybe it isn't the interviewers fault because Tasos seemed to dance around giving a clear answer that conveyed what this game is about.

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by afropuff420

Right now as in Darkfall (1), you would have to skill up a large amounts of skills and spells which have trough time proven to be very good , and became a necceserity for some, and therefore due the nature of DF it became  of everyones intrest to skill up all these skills and spells in order to match up and become competitive.

The new system won't stop the player from being a blacksmith and a mage as you say, as blacksmithing is more of a crafting skill and not something that directly affects your combat playstyle. The role system will promote different combat playstyles of your interest, and will let you use that playstyle in a viable matter, which has been very hard in DF 1. AV is trying to remove the limitations and downsides of let's say a all-in melee oriented playstyle, as being a all-in melee oriented soldier/player in DF 1 would make you effective in few scenarios, but would gimp you in many others, and the role system will enhance different playstyles to make them more viable. Same goes with mage playstyles aswell; if you want to be a mage you will get benefits that will suit a mage very well, meaning you wouldn't need to have that extra much armor or expensive  melee weapons on you if you ended up in melee situations, because now you can handle that particular situation pretty well as just a mage, or archer.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I hope this game does well, but I fear all the gw2, wow and other mainstream players will be overwhelmed with open world pvp. I know a lot of people state they are ready for a change, but I am not sure they will be able to handle failure instead of garanteed success like the before mentioned games. I hope you all give it a shot though. You will make friends quickly because you cant solo darkfall very effectively.
  • AdreuAdreu Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Looking forward to this!
  • FirzenizerFirzenizer Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Can't wait for it. I have been waiting the release day for years! :P Darkfall is just one of those games that were totally freaking awesome. Mad adrenaline rushes.
  • XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

I don't believe a word Tasos or AV say, but I do know that Darkfall 1.0 was one of the most fun games at release for a game that had a ridiculous amount of technical issues.

If they can somehow get a large population involved in the game for Unholy Wars then I think most people will find Darkfall to be one of the better PvP, Sandbox and RPG games out there.

The best part about Darkfall is there is NOTHING in it that resembles themepark MMO's of the past 10 years. If you enjoy any type of PvP (First, Third, Vehicle), strategy, and consequences then I highly suggest this game.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

for the people who don't know what darkfall is and are intrested in playing it. Make certain you have the following aspects in nature:

- i am a hardcore pvp'er

- i can coordinate my emotions myself. ( this comes with anger/happiness and raging)

- i have no problem getting my ass kicked for a couple of month's ( i am not even talking about char wise this is basicly the training your own pvp skills in this game, weither or not you will learn how to master this game is up the person itself)

- i sometimes need to do stuff ingame that i don't like.

Shephard of sheep?

The word haressment does not excists here.