Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[mod edit] coming back

david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Been seeing some post about populations on servers and whatever. With GW2 releasing a couple of weeks ago and today MoP releasing there is going to be some population decreases. I cancel my sub with TSW when I purchased GW2 because I thought I would be playing it for at least a few months straight so whey spend the money. Well I only lasted about two weeks in GW2 so I re-sub to TSW and I'm back. The word is out that they've dumb down WOW even more with MoP so look for that expantion to last a month or so then everything will even out again. I just think everyone is really over these "Candy Land" MMO's and TSW has been the best thing out this year I believe. So basically hold tight everyone in TSW people will come back just like me.

Peace

Lascer

Comments

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

Candy Land is a funny word to me.

It is exaclty what I felt playing GW2 as well,...I guess it didn't help I was Asura.

There is alot going on in GW2, that some may deem 'content'.  I felt most of it was decorated exp bars, which isn't a bad thing, many MMO's have'em. But it was like seeing the 'grind' ahead of me alittle more clearly.

DE have been fun,..in a pointless sorta way.

Of course, I can still keep it as it is free, so I can come back if I feel like CandyLand action.

In the meantime, TSW is giving me a much welcome change of pace with the modern horror world setting. Months to come as they keep fixing bugs, adding more things to do, and bolstering up content gaps, I believe TSW will fillin quite nicely.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    I stopped playing GW2, too, and I already did the newest questrs in TSW. But I really wish, there was more content.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If your only bothered about dungeons and questing tsw is the slightly better game.

If you want more endgame variety with pvp, WvW, outdoor mass pve, crafting etc.. gw2 delivers like no themepark mmo of the last 12 years. They really have a good balance for all playstyles except hardcore raiders (which is probably why they've managed this, most themepark are raiders first everyone else second)
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Same for me, only played GW2 during betas and it was not for me at all, felt kinda pointless and repetitive over all.

The good thing with the lifetime sub I got with TSW and monthly content issues I can play at my own pace, I´m not even in Transylvania yet, can´t keep up with the new mission releases and collecting lore.

Yet I play 2-3 hours most days of the week since release. Well I just had to do some of the awesome missions and dungeons twice, something I never did before in any other MMO.

TSW spoiled most other MMOs for me with fantastic mission design, high tech graphics, novel quality lore and a very immersive world.

Now all I need is TSW and EvE :D - best themepark, best sandbox

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Hay, I play GW2 and like it BUT I miss getting gear that means something.....Downloading TSW now which im hoping will be my main game, while gw2 a side option for tournements ect...
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    GW is so bland and shallow that I haven't loged in for a week. Playing TSW and I like it. Except it's pointless crafting.
  • AborAbor Member Posts: 59

I'm somewhat appaled at the number of TSW die-hards who apparently weren't interested in GW2 then bought it and now are reaffirming their support for TSW. Like, wtf? You didn't like it, you bashed it, you ended up buying it because of what other people said, came back and said you still don't like it. 

I just seems extremely hyprocritical and illogical to me. 

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

What I have read about,GW2,it  is better mmorpg ,but i dislike shiny asian grafic,lore,world,etc...cant find reasson why play it,maybe for PvP  when price drop.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

Welcome back.

It only took me 1-2 weeks to figure out how shallow and boring GW2 was.

Currently rocking EVE, TSW and AO :)

• NovafixNovafix Member Posts: 1
    I got GW2 as mosltly everyone I know was playing it and they all left Rift and or TSW for it.  I got it to play with my mates and it's pretty and nice but I'm left thinking what's the point?  I'm happy not spending money on a sub at the mo but TSW will get me back in a month or two.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Guild Wars 2 sold over two million units, so overall it's been infinitely more successful than TSW. By law of averages Mists of Pandaria will sell at least 2 million+ (probably in the first few days).  So both games are in a different league altogether from TSW. 

Where is this reasoning coming from that people are going to jump ship to play TSW?   Just because the OP has done so, I doubt you will get an influx of new players.   On top of which you have a bundle of normal top franchise games coming out between now and Xmas.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Abor

I'm somewhat appaled at the number of TSW die-hards who apparently weren't interested in GW2 then bought it and now are reaffirming their support for TSW. Like, wtf? You didn't like it, you bashed it, you ended up buying it because of what other people said, came back and said you still don't like it. 

Personally I'm not only a TSW die-hard but an mmorpg player. I bought GW2 like I bought most of the Western big titles. Without a monthly sub it's a good addition on my hard drive but it's still a boring and repetitive game imho. Liked even AoC much more. GW2 cities are the best I've seen in any mmo though.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Abor

i bought both games pretty much knowing that gw2 will play second fiddle to tsw..i cant put my finger on it but i just feel more at home with tsw..i do enjoy gw2 up to a point..after playing for 90 mins or so i,m done for the day or two.its just the same has the rest..all the kill quests and pick up x many of items are hidden,thats all..i do like the exploration i,e vistas,,but its not enough to hold me  for hours on end..each to their own me says.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by fallenlords

Guild Wars 2 sold over two million units, so overall it's been infinitely more successful than TSW. By law of averages Mists of Pandaria will sell at least 2 million+ (probably in the first few days).  So both games are in a different league altogether from TSW. 

A game´s quality can´t be measured by the number of how many people fall for a hype marketing machine.

WoW and GW2 have a bigger marketing budget, and that is all.

GW2 feels more like a facebook game with the endless repetitive fetch and kill quests. TSW has substance. 

No matter how many boxes TSW sold (I don´t care) it´s still the best MMO on the market. And over time, people will notice.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Still subbed to TSW

Still got Gw2 on HD

but not playing either atm

PS2 beta :p

Originally posted by Yakamomoto

A game´s quality can´t be measured by the number of how many people fall for a hype marketing machine.

GW2 feels more like a facebook game with the endless repetitive fetch and kill quests. TSW has substance. 

No matter how many boxes TSW sold (I don´t care) it´s still the best MMO on the market. And over time, people will notice.

Oh please, don't be part of the if it's popular it's not good brigade.  You make out like the only people seeing the truth of things are those that are playing TSW.  Everybody else has somehow bought into all the hype and is blinded.  That is complete nonsense. 

Guild Wars was a popular game that had longevity and it's business model appealed to people, the sequel was bound to attract a lot of people.  WoW is the most popular MMO, how you can even consider 10 million people are all just playing because they are fooled by the hype I don't know. 

Like I say the only comparison you can draw with TSW is that all games are MMO's.  But to mention TSW in the same breath as GW2 or WoW is like comparing a horse and cart to a formula 1 racing car.  Different leagues completely.  People that play TSW might like to make these comparisons.  Because they think putting their game in prestigious company somehow reflects, but it doesn't.   TSW sold 200,000 copies, probably has retained less than half of those in subs.   The game is miniscule compared to the major players.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Glad to say I didn't waste any money on that one. I'm glad others are enjoying it, but GW2 just doesn't interest me at all. I'm sure that many of their players will try out the new WOW expansion, but I doubt they'll remain there once they get thru the new content. TSW caters to a completely different crowd than those two so it's silly to even compare them. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Talketzanto
    Hay, I play GW2 and like it BUT I miss getting gear that means something.....Downloading TSW now which im hoping will be my main game, while gw2 a side option for tournements ect...

Well - GW2 is not for you. It is NOT about the gear - want a gear grind game join Rift - it is UBER GRINDY!!

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

The cities and the crafting system (at least up to 400) in GW2 are superb imo. I am surprised how "rinse and repete"-like the maps are. The first map I explored was awesome. The second was also awesome, because it was just like the first one. The eight ... not so awesome anymore, because it was rinse and repete for the eight time.

Both GW2 and TSW has a serious chat problem as in there is none. Noone ever speaks. Not even rubbish (I never thought I was going to miss the rubbish). It's sooooo quiet, even guild chat is dead (in both games).

TSW has got the best story ever, absolutely epic, but it left me feeling empty when it ended, like I was waiting for the "game over" text to roll acrossmy screen. TSW has got a weak crafting system (but a superb gathering system).

TSW chronicle is a huge pluss.

Over all two good games. I'll keep playing both, since they are both completely free forever after buying them (grandmaster-pack for TSW ofc)

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Kilmar
    I stopped playing GW2, too, and I already did the newest questrs in TSW. But I really wish, there was more content.

This is a problem many people have that I know.  They are now back on GW2 as they are already bored again with TSW.  I wish I could afford the luxuries they have. 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Oh please, don't be part of the if it's popular it's not good brigade.  You make out like the only people seeing the truth of things are those that are playing TSW.  Everybody else has somehow bought into all the hype and is blinded.  That is complete nonsense. 

Guild Wars was a popular game that had longevity and it's business model appealed to people, the sequel was bound to attract a lot of people.  WoW is the most popular MMO, how you can even consider 10 million people are all just playing because they are fooled by the hype I don't know. 

Like I say the only comparison you can draw with TSW is that all games are MMO's.  But to mention TSW in the same breath as GW2 or WoW is like comparing a horse and cart to a formula 1 racing car.  Different leagues completely.  People that play TSW might like to make these comparisons.  Because they think putting their game in prestigious company somehow reflects, but it doesn't.   TSW sold 200,000 copies, probably has retained less than half of those in subs.   The game is miniscule compared to the major players.

well time will tell..tsw was not meant for the masses..it was never expected to sell that many copies..wow was a one off that arrived just at the right time..now gw2 you say is like aF1 car..in that case its already breaking down,people are bored,its repetative and not to mention if it had a sub there is no way on this planet it would have 2 million subs,mainly because people are sick of the same..i bought it because there was no sub.how many others did that as well.gw2 bores me after 60-90 mins of playtime .but for some reason i can play tsw for 5-6 hrs.peoples tastes and thoughts are different.to me regardless of how many people play it tsw is way more polished,better,story,gfx,..you name it ,it is better all way round..but other peeps like yourself prefer gw2,each to their own.

one more thing..if you call a game thats overun by bots,appalling customer service,bugged skill points that are still bugged 3 weeks on a F1 car..then give me the horse and cart anyday.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Have fun grinding in your limited content game.

Ummm, exactly which game are you reffering to?

Originally posted by kevjards

well time will tell..tsw was not meant for the masses..it was never expected to sell that many copies.

That in itself is a bizarre statement, you are saying Funcom deliberately made a game with limited appeal.  I don't think their shareholders, nor all the staff that got laid off, were following your thinking on that score.

.wow was a one off that arrived just at the right time..

It's a benchmark which all aspire to overtake.. yet nobody has come close.

now gw2 you say is like aF1 car..in that case its already breaking down,people are bored,its repetative and not to mention if it had a sub there is no way on this planet it would have 2 million subs,mainly because people are sick of the same..i bought it because there was no sub.how many others did that as well.gw2 bores me after 60-90 mins of playtime .but for some reason i can play tsw for 5-6 hrs.peoples tastes and thoughts are different.to me regardless of how many people play it tsw is way more polished,better,story,gfx,..you name it ,it is better all way round..but other peeps like yourself prefer gw2,each to their own.

In terms of sales GW2 is a F1 car. Because it's so far removed from TSW the comparisons can't even be made.  TSW is a very small niche game, with a few people playing.  According to you that was by design, as if any company deliberately goes out not to make money from a new product. Continue to think Funcom made this game for just you and the select few who 'get it'.  Don't worry about the financial implications of such a small user base or the future implications to the company as whole.

one more thing..if you call a game thats overun by bots,appalling customer service,bugged skill points that are still bugged 3 weeks on a F1 car..then give me the horse and cart anyday.

And of course Funcom deliver polished first class games without equal.  If your argument is Funcom are some sort of provider that delivers quality over quantity I don't see it.   It's a horse and cart with square wheels at best. 

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Lol@Fallenlords, are you STILL crusading against Funcom and Funcom games. Don't you think it's becoming a little bit petty and immature to keep a grudge going like that against a company or games that you don't like or even play? Everyone's entitled to their opinion, sure, but move on, man, move on.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by tyfon

Welcome back.

It only took me 1-2 weeks to figure out how shallow and boring GW2 was.

Currently rocking EVE, TSW and AO :)

Nice choices there!