Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Players, do You use Xfire ? (Poll)

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Nope *looks at siggy & smiles*
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I was using XFire when GW2 launched, but wound up uninstalling it since it really didn't have anything to offer and I'd rather keep the resources free for GW2.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Damzilla

Simple question, simple answer.

Rules: Question applies to GW2 players only. This poll isn't made to be a representative of the whole community, just a sample of the current MMORPG.com members - players. No trolling, flaming - keep it clean and civil - it's not that hard, is it ?

Keep in mind scientific polls are being made with as low as 500-1000 people to represent opinions of millions of people. Even if only 1% use xfire in statistics it is more than enough.

Scientific polls makes use of a large pool of different groups. Xfire is a group on its own and as such unrepresentive of everything except it's own populace.

What do you mean group of its own? I as an XFire user does not neccessarily belong to the same group as some other XFire user, except that we both use XFire. We can still be of different, age, gender, playstyle etc.

What we can say is that the group composition of XFire users is unknown and as such you cannot know if it is representative or not.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Well, the numbers are really interesting at the moment... I reckon we will have a lot more votes when the NA players wake up in a few hours. I encourage anyone who didn't vote to do so, every vote counts !

considering xfire shows little under 9k people out of the over 2 mil who got this game it's not surprising most people here don'tuse it

It's amusing that 10% of 113 votes seem to use it though, meaning a far greater proportion of mmorpg.com forumites use x-fire than that of the actual player base (shock, horror).

Not surprising we see x-fire "trend" threads here ad-nauseum but nowhere else :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You know that you going to get an overwhelm no.... I will predict that no more than 1-2% of the mmorpg community do....

You do know that xfire is a sample of the gw2 community right? Not a 1 to 1 correlation right?

edit - lol

edit - just looked at the results 10% do? geez thats a lot. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I think I used/cared about Xfire once for like.. a week and had it on my Sig here at MMORPG.com... years and years ago.

Never really saw the point? Bragging to people about how much time you've played a game? Keeping track of your own play time?

Never understood.

Always worth a laugh when people quote xfire numbers as some kind of gospel on how well a game is doing.

Are xfire numbers significant?

Small sample size + diverse unrepresentative sample + voluntary/at-will participation = no one cares.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Well, the numbers are really interesting at the moment... I reckon we will have a lot more votes when the NA players wake up in a few hours. I encourage anyone who didn't vote to do so, every vote counts !

considering xfire shows little under 9k people out of the over 2 mil who got this game it's not surprising most people here don'tuse it

It's amusing that 10% of 113 votes seem to use it though, meaning a far greater proportion of mmorpg.com forumites use x-fire than that of the actual player base (shock, horror).

Not surprising we see x-fire "trend" threads here ad-nauseum but nowhere else :)

This is a forum. People with an agenda will vote yes even if they never used XFire, just to prove some "point.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by BadSpock

I think I used/cared about Xfire once for like.. a week and had it on my Sig here at MMORPG.com... years and years ago.

Never really saw the point? Bragging to people about how much time you've played a game? Keeping track of your own play time?

Never understood.

Always worth a laugh when people quote xfire numbers as some kind of gospel on how well a game is doing.

Small sample size + diverse unrepresentative sample + voluntary/at-will participation = no one cares.

Can you tell me one time it's been wrong in predicting a downward trend? One example please? Just one.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

This is a forum. People with an agenda will vote yes even if they never used XFire, just to prove some "point.

I agree there may be some funny business with the "Yes" votes. At the sametime mmorpg represents a hardercore mmo gamer, so it could be possible.. Unlikely though.

Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Rules: Question applies to GW2 players only. This poll isn't made to be a representative of the whole community, just a sample of the current MMORPG.com members - players. No trolling, flaming - keep it clean and civil - it's not that hard, is it ?

Keep in mind scientific polls are being made with as low as 500-1000 people to represent opinions of millions of people. Even if only 1% use xfire in statistics it is more than enough.

Scientific polls makes use of a large pool of different groups. Xfire is a group on its own and as such unrepresentive of everything except it's own populace.

What do you mean group of its own? I as an XFire user does not neccessarily belong to the same group as some other XFire user, except that we both use XFire. We can still be of different, age, gender, playstyle etc.

What we can say is that the group composition of XFire users is unknown and as such you cannot know if it is representative or not.

Yes, you do, your all x-fire users, ie the x-fire users group. Age, gender etc etc is irrelevant, you could all be purple bottomed moon-hippos, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, your just a "1" number in a column essentially i this context.

It's not representative of anything other than itself. As mentioned earlier 9k x-fire users play GW2 out of over 2 million account holders, hence they are not representative of anything outside of the general population of x-fire users and the proportion of x-fire users who own/play GW2.

Simples :)

Originally posted by bcbully

Never understood.

Can you tell me one time it's been wrong in predicting a downward trend? One example please? Just one.

World of Warcraft.

That game has been 'dying' for... 5-6 years based on xfire numbers... LOL I can't even type that without laughing.

Saying that WoW is "in decline" and in a "downward trend" even after losing 2-3 million accounts is a LAUGHABLE assertation to make.

That's like saying "Apple only sold 5 million iPhone 5's in the first 3 days- Apple must be in decline and in a downward trend after the death of Steve Jobs" (which btw is something I actually read on a tech/news site this week.)

*paraphrased of course - they were saying "Is Apple just another tech company now?" like seriously? I HATE Apple products but I'm not an idiot - they are still *the* major player in the consumer tech market.

• sardaukar101sardaukar101 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Used To. Never will again. Plus being bothered by people on xfire because playing a game they don't like made me uninstall it.
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Well, the same can be said for any gathering of information in this manner.

We simply don't know thats the case but can't discount the possibility either.

Regardless of results I still find it amusing, x-fire "stat trends" are just laughable at times :)

• camiacamia Member Posts: 18
    Bump, and I said no. Once upon a time I did, but only because a guild I was in required it.

From the '90s, raised on '80s, better deal with Golden Girls references!

According to xfire WoW is "on the rise" because right now more people are playing WoW than GW2.

OMG WOW IS BACK!

lolololololol

Originally posted by bcbully

You know that you going to get an overwhelm no.... I will predict that no more than 1-2% of the mmorpg community do....

You do know that xfire is a sample of the gw2 community right? Not a 1 to 1 correlation right?

edit - lol

edit - just looked at the results 10% do? geez thats a lot. 

It's not a viable sample, what i mean is it's not a sample that can be used for the purposes of any unbiased comparision.

A truly unbiased sample would have to be selected at random from the entire 2 million+ userbase, otherwise it's skewed, biased and pretty much unusable.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

GW2 fans delighted in the use of Xfire to relentlessly harass other game forums. He'll I bet the SWTOR thread featuring so many familiar avatars that regularly appear here to champion GW2 is still up (while coincidentally, the GW2 version was promptly locked by this websites mods.)

If anything I'd estimate more GW2 players use it, given their love of it.

Not that it matters at all. Xfire is used as an indicator of trends. Nothing more. Right?

According to xfire WoW is "on the rise" because right now more people are playing WoW than GW2.

OMG WOW IS BACK!

lolololololol

Wow, x-fire shows that? Must be true then :)

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    I've never heard of Xfire before people started posting MMO charts from the Xfire website. Never used it myself (Steam does that for me).
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Not that it really matters but look at the total number of players for GW2 and Wow using xfire if it was an accurate assessment of people playing I'd think wow would show a hell of a lot more users not just more hours...like any game xfire shows trends in the amount of hours xfire users log and that's pretty much it.. you could make some conclusions to show how popular a game may be but aside from that don't hold much weight on xfire

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    I HATE Apple products but I'm not an idiot - they are still *the* major player in the consumer tech market.

Actually, Android is beating iPhone big time...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

It depends on population, you are trying to poll. X-fire users, and its demographic, may not represent the whole population of MMO gamers, but it can still be used to show a trend. However, that trend is about x-fire players, but it is good to keep in mind that X-fire statistics has been relatively accurate showing the overall trend for many games in the past.

Been using similar calculation, as show in the below. Typically polls and surveys use 95% confidence level.

http://www.custominsight.com/articles/random-sample-calculator.asp

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Good, at least partially correct.

Scientific polls require proper selection of their sample pops.  Self-selection is not good methodology.

Sample sizes are something that laymen tend to consider of paramount importance.  Sampling methods are what statisticians would consider first when vetting each other's work.

Anyway, we risk the verbosity bludgeon monsters of the X-fire Megathreads awakening from their slumber.  Let the sleeping dog lie.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

nope

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Last time I looked at xfire, the UI was ridiculously ugly and I just couldn't stand it.  Right now I have been using evolvehq, though I sometimes use raptr.  But lately I've been using the lan vpn party system on a couple games so using evolvehq atm.