Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if your an older gamer wow is not for you.

I was talking to some of the older gamers who have played for 7 years in wow have not purchased mop on ventrilo. They told me its not the same, skill tree is not the same etc etc or its not vanilla wow. If your over 35 years old its time to move on from wow, blizzard made the changes especially skill tree so you can customize to deal with raid bosses or pvp on the fly. You customize the new skill tree on the fly on different encounters. Wow is changing to fit the needs of 20 year olds and college kids. In fact most of my friend who purchased are over 20 years old and are in college. Wow changed for the younger demographic market and no for old wow players, or old mmo players. You guys needs to accept this and move on.

Blizzard's goal is not here to retain old 2004 wow players, mop was designed to get those 20 year olds and college kids demographics with mop hence why the changes. They are sheding off old 2004 wow players and get those new generations of 20 year olds market, and it makes sence. Blizzard is smart.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

I was talking to some of the older gamers who have played for 7 years in wow have not purchased mop on ventrilo. They told me its not the same, skill tree is not the same etc etc or its not vanilla wow. If your over 35 years old its time to move on from wow, blizzard made the changes especially skill tree so you can customize to deal with raid bosses or pvp on the fly. You customize the new skill tree on the fly on different encounters. Wow is changing to fit the needs of 20 year olds and college kids. In fact most of my friend who purchased are over 20 years old and are in college. Wow changed for the younger demographic market and no for old wow players, or old mmo players. You guys needs to accept this and move on.

Blizzard's goal is not here to retain old 2004 wow players, mop was designed to get those 20 year olds and college kids demographics with mop hence why the changes. They are sheding off old 2004 wow players and get those new generations of 20 year olds market, and it makes sence. Blizzard is smart.

It's always good strategy to alienate your current playerbase in favor of gaining a new one. Econ lol.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Just curious, while I respect your opinion don't you think its a bit vain to tell others what they should and shouldn't do?  Gamers, if anything, are certainly diverse with their likes and dislikes and to make a general blanket statement like this isn't fair to your targetted demographic or others for that matter IMHO.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    A pity. I am 45 so i cant play wow, id like to give Rift a try but my favourite colour is blue and that game is specifically tailored for people who prefer mauve tones. GW2 is also out of the question, as im a manchester united fan and only glasgow rangers play gw2. Perhaps EVE? I like pepperoni on pizza, i ll have to ask wht are Eve policies on the subject.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Wow , in the lower levels , is geared for the 9-14 ages. In the higher levels 15-22.. That is my take on that.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Compared to Swtor, and GW2, I would have to disagree OP.  
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • brackatchabrackatcha Member Posts: 24
    I meet your definition of an older gamer and WoW is definitely for me...more than any other game. Access to dungeons, always something to do (massive content) are huge positives..by the time I get settled in from work and put the kids to sleep..I might have 1 hour to play which means I dont want to spend 15 minutes screwing around in a pvp queue or dungeon queue; the LFG tool (play a healer) is basically instantaneous. Do I like the skill tree changes? Not really..is wow still the game that fits into this older gamers lifestyle the best...absolutely.
  • LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

39 and loving it.  I guess that hypothesis is bunk, OP.  I hope you didn't have too much invested in it. =)

Yes, I have a Pandaren and do Pet Battles too.  And I can't wait to start my farm.

• sandym5sandym5 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Im 43 and i play WoW. I sure am not gonna have someone sit there and tell me i cant play WoW because im to old for it.I enjoy it.And yes i have pandas and also do pet battles.
  • stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Im 42 years old and im enjoying the new xpac. but got to say i really hate what they did to the skill tree . they made it to simple not sure what age there shooting for but once you get use to it its still a fun game.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

If your over 35 years old its time to move on from wow,

i was over 40 when WOW launched - but feel free to generalize players

I saw some players dismiss WOW as a kiddie game back in 2004  (their judgement not mine)

fun is not restricted to age

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I don't see any meaningful reasoning behind this argument at all?

I am 42, brother is 39 and my father is 62, all of us are WoW players alongside my guild leadership who are all in their 30's upwards but of course my sons also enjoy the game (teens 12-18). Upshot is that as long as the game entertains you it doesn't matter what age you are as proven by the oldest guy i played alongside who was well into his 70's.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• joartsiljoartsil Member Posts: 21

I'm 44 and still prefer this game over other MMOs - although I have tried others.

Main reasons are time invested on existing toons, familiarity with classes and content, and circle of friends and family who continue to play the game. 

I'm married with kids so I play casual - did more arenas/bgs in cata but hoping to raid some in mists.

I do agree that there may be some dumbing down going on in WoW. I wonder whether this is to encourage younger players in, as a lot of Blizz fans will surely want to play "Titan" when it finally arrives and may not have the time to play both - I certainly won't.

• ShewrogsShewrogs Member Posts: 5
    37 and really enjoying the xpac, I'm with the person above wgho states once the family are asleep you don't have long, the LFG is great, pet battles are great, come on in, the water's great.
  • ShewrogsShewrogs Member Posts: 5
    And I'm more than happy with dumbing down. 
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    38 here, and enjoying what little time I have invested in the xpac so far..........super confused with my Lock because of the changes.......years of playing off and on casually and I was used to my rotation that remained the same since pretty much launch. Feeding me all new spells and rotations(though simplifying it) has left me a tad frustrated. I came back about a month before the xpac and have never been a raider, but I actually finally started using the dungeon finder instead of re-running old zone.....been having a blast and only ran into one "not so kind" individual in a random dung..
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I believe this as well.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    36 and having a great time.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I really liked WoW when it came out, even the WotLK expansion was fun (especially TotC raid), but I have to say it's now a different game. In fact so different, that I can't find anything interesting in it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          Thats OK we'll be playing the adult games anyway...You can have your battlenet kiddies community.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Theocritus
          Thats OK we'll be playing the adult games anyway...You can have your battlenet kiddies community.

Out of curiosity, which games are those? Just curious if there is an mmo I haven't played. Didn't know there was a separate adult genre of MMO's.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

After almost 1 1/2 year after leaving WoW I decided to go back for the expansion (mainly because GW2 opened my mind a little bit about childish designs).

The art-style is not my cup of tea and I find it childish; the PVE leveling is very very easy, but.... the majority of themeparks out there are equally easy and childish.

I had lots of fun in AoC or TSW and those games are a lot more my style; however both are unfinished and... will they ever be complete? Don't know.

Meanwhile, without any kind of compromise besides some temporary entertainement I joined the Panda's cause, I am reviewing old friends and having some nice moments. Will it last 1,3,6 months? I don't know and I don't really care.

So please stop telling other people what to do or play. Stop measuring everything only with your own standards and personnal taste. Learn tolerance.

35 years old btw...

• MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower Member Posts: 80

i could think of couple skills in the new skil trees allow me to counter mop raid bosses but thats just me, The older gamers well they tell me they hate the new skill tree system. Why? i have no idea. I think they are resistent to changes of wow.

Younger audience have no problem adapt to new skill tree system, and gear grind and pokemon.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Not this sh**t again. You can claim to be as old as you want but you rare eally not unless you learn to respect other peoples choices. That is what maked you grown up and not some numbers on your birth certificate.
  • CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

About the skill trees... I started WoW with WotLK.

Since then, I remember skill trees where you had the obvious choices, and the talents to avoid; there was 1 "right" build and sometimes a couple of points remained there to some optional choice. So, in theory things can be different now, but in practical terms I don't see much of a difference.

Ok, if you ask me, I would love to have a more complex system, with multiple viable choices and builds; however I don't remember that kind of design in WoW (remember, playing since WotLK). So I don't get the complains...

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Oddly enough, im 'significantly' into the 'older gamer' bracket which you seem to think means WoW is not my game.. just because you don't like it doesnt mean everyone feels the exact same way you do, it may be 'kiddy friendly' not a bad thing imo, but as Eve is my main game, i do also play WoW from time to time... it may be gaming on easy mode, but it is fun. WoW imo, is a strictly PVE game, with fun co'op gameplay (dungeons/raids etc)  probably counts a great deal towards why it is the #1 mainstream MMORPG, and has been for years. Besides, isnt it ageist to categorise people as being suitable for certain types of games and not others image
This discussion has been closed.