Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Bots overrun GW2' a very good read.

halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Bots-Overrun-Guild-Wars-2/first#post258913

I really enjoyed this article and agree with the conclusion.

Clearly botting is just too easy in Guild Wars 2 and the only people it is hurting are the legit players who will quickly begin to lose interest in the game if ArenaNet does nothing to acknowledge this problem in a bigger, more aggressive way.

Comments

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    It isnt the botters that are ruining it. It is the people that buy the currency from them that is ruining the game. Dont buy it and they have no reason to show up and bot. Viscious cycle huh?
  • Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Yeah Anet do need to be way more proactive in dealing with bot's than what they have been.

I'm sure there are well known botting locations, shouldn't take much effort for ingame Gm's to check either from reports or off their own back ..... or would it ?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by moguy2
    It isnt the botters that are ruining it. It is the people that buy the currency from them that is ruining the game. Dont buy it and they have no reason to show up and bot. Viscious cycle huh?

I guess same can be said for those who sell drugs? they are not the one ruining people lives  it is the people who buy the drugs doing it to themselves. Drug dealers are after all just providing a service right?

• bone12bone12 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by halflife25

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Bots-Overrun-Guild-Wars-2/first#post258913

Clearly botting is just too easy in Guild Wars 2 and the only people it is hurting are the legit players who will quickly begin to lose interest in the game if ArenaNet does nothing to acknowledge this problem in a bigger, more aggressive way.

HAHAH i am laughing so much.. i can't stop Gw2 Black trading Market wasnt offline for 2 weeks so that guy in there lies.. i played 3 days after launch and i could acces it with no problems and i doubt there are any bots in gw2 so far..

and if there are they just waste time on making bots.. pretty useless to do in gw2.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

aaaah yes. that's sth completely unexpected ... sure.

or, if you ever played another mmo before, you are used to it in the beginning, and wait till they fixed it.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by bone12

HAHAH i am laughing so much.. i can't stop Gw2 Black trading Market wasnt offline for 2 weeks so that guy in there lies.. i played 3 days after launch and i could acces it with no problems and i doubt there are any bots in gw2 so far..

and if there are they just waste time on making bots.. pretty useless to do in gw2.

The trading post was offline for two weeks with ocassional 2 to 3 hours uptime and then it used to go offline again. So nope guy is not lying. BTC was indeed offline for majority of time for 2 weeks.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    I'd have to agree that this is an issue, but it seems like no easy answer.  All these botting are stolen accounts so perm banning doesn't work.  But it is like an epicdemic out there though.  WoW I've seen a fair share of gold sellers but my god in GW2 it seemed like nonstop.  Haven't played much GW2 lately due to school but do seem to notice less gold sellers or maybe just not in the right zones at the right time or just lucky not getting on the mail list.  Figure as time goes on it should tone down to a more acceptable level.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

Yeah Anet do need to be way more proactive in dealing with bot's than what they have been.

What do you suggest they pay the extra GMs with? Your monthly sub? 

What you pay is what you get, B2P = bad CS and low GM count.

• bone12bone12 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Failings

What do you suggest they pay the extra GMs with? Your monthly sub? 

What you pay is what you get, B2P = bad CS and low GM count.

not really dude.. ArenaNet is great company.. B2P is the best that a game can do.. they still earn lots of money by selling gems.. and other things..   if u didn't know ArenaNet is working their ass out..

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

i doubt there are any bots in gw2 so far..

There are loads of bot's in Gw2 :/

Side topic ish Question:

With modern MMO's, Trading post's , Auction houses etc etc .. is there any need nowadays to allow direct Gold > player trading ?

Would it benifit or harm a game to only allow trading through such sources as a AH ?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    That wouldn't work either, the gold recipient could put some crappy item on the ah at a high price and the gold seller buy it.
  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I guess same can be said for those who sell drugs? they are not the one ruining people lives  it is the people who buy the drugs doing it to themselves. Drug dealers are after all just providing a service right?

Perfectly true as long as they're just selling drugs and not forcing anyone. Illegal drugs weren't always illegal and still the majority of humankind never bought or used them. Make no mistake: I don't advocate legalization of any substance. But saying that your health and well-being isn't in your own hands is irresponsible.

---

This is a poor analogy in any case. Bots aren't just offering a service to those few who choose to use it. They inevitably affect in-game economy (cause inflation) for everyone. They also use spam to advertise their services which is very annoying and disruptive.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    reported the same 2 bots on Blackgate daily for the past 4 days, and they're still blipping around their routes farming lowbie mobs with exceptionally high drop rates of crafting materials, teleporting from point to point.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Seafarer's Rest server, character named Power One. Was botting in some cave I went into to get PoI.

I was wondering what that character was doing there, as it seemed to go back and forth and started observing for a while. It ran set course and killed everything on the way.

There is bots, and I really hope it doesn't get like NCSofts earlier games have gone. Real people tend to leave those games.

Just write "guild wars 2 bot" to Google and here's what you get...

That useless part,  travelling and repairing costs. Of course people will bot gold.

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40

im a bit lost here, from the whole GW2 philosphy and the global trading post  and my time spent in game i had garnered the idea that gold in GW2 was next to useless, other than to fast track crafting .

Considering the lack of gear tiers and gear in general other than ledgendaries or a skin or 2 what does one need mass ammounts of gold for ? It seemed to me that gold was mostly a was to getting things  faster, its hard to see botting to sell gold in a game with this kinda economy and philosophy maintain itself  for a lenghty period of time.

Also with the worldwide trading post the market was always supposed to be unplayable, due to mass ammounts of most things for sale a number that only increases over time as people lvl alts etc....seems like the only real thing gold spammers are doing is hurting Anets gem sales , if they are undercut enough that is.

Im also curious as to how much difference it makes when you could already buy gold in game lol.

The game mechanics dont work like normal where bots would take all your spawns and make it difficult, they dont affect you running around doing your own thing thanks to the systems in place, so how exactly are they ruining a game or an economy( that you could already purcahse gold for real $ from )?????? taking $ from anets coffers is the only real thing they are doing, the people buying their gold are only doing so cause its cheaper than the gem-gold ratio.

Anyone care to help me understand how they are actually impacting the game in any other fashion ? It seems to me that alot of people buying the gold are probabaly just using it to buy items from the trading post or for WvWvW, if you were to buy gems with gold u bought of farmers you may as well just buy gems in the first place......as you buy the gold from farmers to get more bang for your buck outta gems right ?

WTF im lost.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

"I'm sure there are well known botting locations, shouldn't take much effort for ingame Gm's to check either from reports or off their own back ..... or would it ?"

Like lone point waypoint in straits of desolation? god i sware its the same bots there everynight. i keep reporting but nada.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

GW2 isnt the first game to suffer bots, and you can bet it wont be the last.

My recommendation is do your part as a player, dont buy gold, dont visit gold sites, and report any bot you see.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Medicated03

im a bit lost here, from the whole GW2 philosphy and the global trading post  and my time spent in game i had garnered the idea that gold in GW2 was next to useless, other than to fast track crafting .

Considering the lack of gear tiers and gear in general other than ledgendaries or a skin or 2 what does one need mass ammounts of gold for ? It seemed to me that gold was mostly a was to getting things  faster, its hard to see botting to sell gold in a game with this kinda economy and philosophy maintain itself  for a lenghty period of time.

Also with the worldwide trading post the market was always supposed to be unplayable, due to mass ammounts of most things for sale a number that only increases over time as people lvl alts etc....seems like the only real thing gold spammers are doing is hurting Anets gem sales , if they are undercut enough that is.

Im also curious as to how much difference it makes when you could already buy gold in game lol.

The game mechanics dont work like normal where bots would take all your spawns and make it difficult, they dont affect you running around doing your own thing thanks to the systems in place, so how exactly are they ruining a game or an economy( that you could already purcahse gold for real $ from )?????? taking $ from anets coffers is the only real thing they are doing, the people buying their gold are only doing so cause its cheaper than the gem-gold ratio.

Anyone care to help me understand how they are actually impacting the game in any other fashion ? It seems to me that alot of people buying the gold are probabaly just using it to buy items from the trading post or for WvWvW, if you were to buy gems with gold u bought of farmers you may as well just buy gems in the first place......as you buy the gold from farmers to get more bang for your buck outta gems right ?

WTF im lost.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph. It doesnt matter to the botters. Theyll bot and try to sell gold in ANY game. RF Online for example. No more than a few hundred people playing anymore, yet still infested with bots. Probably about half the population is bots.  Theyll do it regardless, as long as they can make evn a iny bit of profit. It doesnt really take any actual work on their part, after all theyre just running a bot and then have to type in someones name to send them gold.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People who buy gold from gold spammers are the same ones that will buy it in any game. They feel they are 'entitled' to do anything they want in a game.

In GW1, there were loads of botters initially then they went away as A.Net permabanned as fast as possible - they were banning email accounts. That is why they don't have a free trial - botters use them alot. Even in Rift, which is vary anal about botters still has them from time to time.

You can't get away from them but you can punish the people who use them as well as the sellers.

A.Net is still probably trying to catch up with all the reports.

Also, paying a sub DOES NOT guarrantee any more GM's than GW2 has already. Paying a sub does not guarrantee better security either.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Yea I have run accross 12 archers all with bear pets in the Asura starter zone sitting in one spot. The pets do all the attacking and the archers just sit there. Funny thing is they all had those familiar names like "adsfrs" or "dfbejsi"

Hvanet seen anything else other then the occasional hacked account spamming buy gold here, or buy gold there.

Not sure why someone would need to buy gold seeing as there is nothing really to spend money on other then crafting. When I hit lvl 80 I used my crafting exp stone and all my gathered materials to max my crafting and still only spent about 2 gold buying things I may have needed from the NPC or from the market. 

I am sure if you just saved your money till lvl 80 and sold and rare+ items you received on the way to lvl 80 on the market you would have plenty of money even to buy the racial armor......

whats the point in buying gold, and to top it off if you buy gold from anyone just buy it from Arena Net in the form of jems........

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

i doubt there are any bots in gw2 so far..

There are loads of bot's in Gw2 :/

Side topic ish Question:

With modern MMO's, Trading post's , Auction houses etc etc .. is there any need nowadays to allow direct Gold > player trading ?

Would it benifit or harm a game to only allow trading through such sources as a AH ?

I doubt that would ever happen, they need to maintian the values. But I have another question. Supposedly all gems in the game have been purchased by players.  What would they do if the number of players trading gold in for gems exceeds the number of players buyibuying gems and trading them back in for gold? Would they really stop the sales?  My concern would be that if enough gold farmers (Botters) were in the game, they could still have a real impact on the Gold to Gem Values.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Playing a game were everything is in a shop to be bought brings the botters, its the old fire triange, botter/product/consumer take anyone away and the fire goes out, sadly its normally the consumer :(

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Medicated03

WTF im lost.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph. It doesnt matter to the botters. Theyll bot and try to sell gold in ANY game. RF Online for example. No more than a few hundred people playing anymore, yet still infested with bots. Probably about half the population is bots.  Theyll do it regardless, as long as they can make evn a iny bit of profit. It doesnt really take any actual work on their part, after all theyre just running a bot and then have to type in someones name to send them gold.

I totally agree but at least with low pop games like RF the people playing there are jousting for the most power, the best gear etc etc, thats a struggle that cant occur in GW2 other than some skins, thats the reason i cant see it in the same light as most games the bots sell gold in, the sheer lack of need for gold after a certain point and no real way to achieve power with it.

However as most of the boosts etc come from gem items(and your buying gold because its cheaper than selling gems), if the gold sellers start using the gold they farm to buy gems off the player market (prob result in mass gem price drop and value)  and undercutting anet on CS items, THAT would be a larger problem. Guess i just answered my own question

lol

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    ....... and i doubt there are any bots in gw2 so far..

Come to Fort Aspenwood server, Cursed Shore lvl 80 area, Penitent Waypoint and the one SE to it, you will see group of bots alternating between there and 2 other spots. Same bots, everyday.

But please, keep doubting there are any bots at all. Denial is a wonderful thing

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

The reason Anet does not crack down on botters is that in reality, the bots are the creations of 'private contractors' hired by Anet to destroy any way of players gaining income in game, and the result is the ONLY feasible way to buy anything of value in the game is to Pay Anet either through the cash shop gem store, or through one of these contractors who pass it on to Anet.

This gives Anet plausible deniability.  Hey we are helpless, or we are doing what we can, or we will do something someday, blah, blah, blah, all the while raising prices of desireable items to heights that make Asian pay to win grindfests paltry.

Anet nicked the whole legendary gear thing from Perfect World, lock stock and barrel, and just renamed a few of the functions of the acquisition process. 

GW2's enconomy is pretty much destroyed, and end game content is overrun by bots.  No longer a AAA experience, but a massive SNAFU.