Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well im coming to DF.

ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

SWTOR keeps making my computer crash and corrupting boot files on my windows for some reason..... I want a sandbox havent played one since eve and was wondering if a vet would give me some tips. Im aware of the DF 2.0 or unholy wars is coming out and this will probably be wiped out of existence, but i'll just play and if I like it ill probably just pick up DF:UO when it comes.

Any help or tips would be great and si there a free trial?

Comments

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

Remember if you bought Darkfall 1.0 you won't have to buy Darkfall Unholy Wars, you just pay for the subscription to get access to the newly remade game. Darkfall Unholy Wars is suppose to come out November 20th I believe. I wouldn't play right now because everything is going to be wiped fresh.

There is a free trial if you wanna mess around, but nothing you do will be saved. If you don't have an existing game account then you will have to buy the new game once it comes back on the website.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Gamefun

Remember if you bought Darkfall 1.0 you won't have to buy Darkfall Unholy Wars, you just pay for the subscription to get access to the newly remade game. Darkfall Unholy Wars is suppose to come out November 20th I believe. I wouldn't play right now because everything is going to be wiped fresh.

There is a free trial if you wanna mess around, but nothing you do will be saved. If you don't have an existing game account then you will have to buy the new game once it comes back on the website.

I dont mind just subbing and having to buy the new one. I know nothing will be saved it will atleast just get me use to the mechanics. That way ill be able to know better as to what needs to be done with a new toon in DF2.0. I dont mind having to restart toons.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Zecktorin

I dont mind just subbing and having to buy the new one. I know nothing will be saved it will atleast just get me use to the mechanics. That way ill be able to know better as to what needs to be done with a new toon in DF2.0. I dont mind having to restart toons.

I would recommend playing it, to at least get familiar with some of the things that will still make it into 2.0. It's still worth playing for fun, but I just personally feel like it's a waste of money and time invested until Unholy Wars releases in two plus months.

Originally posted by Zecktorin

I would recommend playing it, to at least get familiar with some of the things that will still make it into 2.0. It's still worth playing for fun, but I just personally feel like it's a waste of money and time invested until Unholy Wars releases in two plus months.

See tho I view it as two plus months of fun which is more than I can say for a lot of games.

• MinjieMinjie Member Posts: 11

So their wiping everybodys character back to the beginning? how do the people who have been playing for years feel about this?

Last time i played DF the grind was pretty intense, and having to do that all over again would definately suck.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,184
    wipe or no wipe, it's a new game so the characters wont transfer.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Awesome I have 3 DarkFall accounts ;)
  • Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107

u should really stop saying this..

Reason is, they said u would not have to buy a NEW game when this was suppose to be a ADDON to the current game ....since then it has changed to this being a completly diff game and they have said in the blogs since that this will have 0 to do with current darkfall game and will be its own game .as it is still just a new verison , and i agree ...but everything (litteraly ) has changed about this game since the info about not having to buy the game again .

they COULD let everyone have the  game for free , but i do NOT see this happening ..i have been playing since the day this game came out and AV has a trck record of not doing what they said and chainging details without warning .. So please no one hold on to the fact they said u would get the Xpack for free because that info came when it was suppose to be a major update to the current game not an entire seperate game .

i realize there will still be people saying "its free for current players" and i can not stop this ...just trying to toss in my .02

EDIT: man ur post is so full of details that are not true even with the OLD OLD info . im not saying this to be mean or rude in any way . i keep up with the info they put out , and  the info u are providing is taken from two diffrent time frames about two very difrent ways this game/xpack was going to come out (and some of ur info is just down right incorrect ..i.e ..u just have to pay the sub to play the new game ..that was JUST a promo till darkfall 2.0 started ) ----  and as i said above will clear up the part about the game for free

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

if you have never played DF then by all means give it a go. it's actually a very fun game with very solid mechanics and good server stability.

because you'll be starting as a new character you probably will never be able to be competitive in pvp in the current DF. so just keep that in mind and just play it as a pve game that has "world bosses" (veteran players) that come arround from time to time and 2 shot you.

the pve in DF is actually pretty fun. not the questing it'self but fighting npcs is actually pretty entertaining as DF has some of the best AI arround.

you can explore and get familiar with the map. also the UI (god i hope they improve this in UW) and most of the other game machanics like crafting, gathering, boating, etc. You can also familiarize yourself with the current clans and the political landscape that it will surely be transported to UW.

+ since you will buy DF you wont have to buy UW....win/win.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Help or tips, hmm okay...

Be prepared for the fact that the population is going to be low, and that the players that are there are vets.

Ignore forumfall and the occasional guy who corpse camps you. Yes every Tom, Dick and Harry will take a swipe at your character if they get the chance but most will not take all your stuff (if you are a noob) and most are actually qite nice and willing to help (on EU at least).

Don't carry loads of shit in your backpack, you will lose it. Find a hunting place near enough to a bank but away from the main noob goblin spawns and bank ALL the time. Dedicated PKers don't randomly walk about, they cycle through mob spawns near noob towns and other player hotspots. Don't be in them long unless you can fight back.

When you get a mount, don't leave it out, even in a city. Someone will take it.

If you really get sick of even the threat of getting killed, spend your time moving to a quiter racial zone (hey dwarves, looking at you) and grind there.

Always look around you, always use the terrain to your advantage and don't just follow roads.

Greatsword and bow until you get magic schools up are nice.

Organise stuff into bags in your bank.

You could max out skills really fast if you went through a methodical process but at this point it probably is not worth it. Maybe just get a sword and go and explore the world and get used to the feeling of a massive, open world in which player encounters actually have an edge to them. Once you get used to that it is hard to go back to other mmos.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I also just started up yesterday and played for 8 hours straight (haven't done that since Anarchy Online)....the game seems awesome, love the freedom I have.  I've never been a big pvp'er, but I guess I will learn fast :P....don't mind the pvp though...the sandbox is SOOO big that Im just having a blast exploring.

When I go out to hunt/gather Ill leave everything but what I need in the bank....Ill do the hunting/gathering for maybe an hour, go back and put all that in the bank (or sell)....rinse and repeat.  Haven't ran across a hostile yet, but Im sure I will in due time.....can't wait for Unholy Wars...and to see the rest of the map!

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Help or tips, hmm okay...

Be prepared for the fact that the population is going to be low, and that the players that are there are vets.

Ignore forumfall and the occasional guy who corpse camps you. Yes every Tom, Dick and Harry will take a swipe at your character if they get the chance but most will not take all your stuff (if you are a noob) and most are actually qite nice and willing to help (on EU at least).

Don't carry loads of shit in your backpack, you will lose it. Find a hunting place near enough to a bank but away from the main noob goblin spawns and bank ALL the time. Dedicated PKers don't randomly walk about, they cycle through mob spawns near noob towns and other player hotspots. Don't be in them long unless you can fight back.

When you get a mount, don't leave it out, even in a city. Someone will take it.

If you really get sick of even the threat of getting killed, spend your time moving to a quiter racial zone (hey dwarves, looking at you) and grind there.

Always look around you, always use the terrain to your advantage and don't just follow roads.

Greatsword and bow until you get magic schools up are nice.

Organise stuff into bags in your bank.

You could max out skills really fast if you went through a methodical process but at this point it probably is not worth it. Maybe just get a sword and go and explore the world and get used to the feeling of a massive, open world in which player encounters actually have an edge to them. Once you get used to that it is hard to go back to other mmos.

Again you act like this will be my first sandbox. Most of these tips apply to eve online as well. but i do thank you for the tips.