Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have some good news and some bad news.

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Sylvarii
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by Volkon

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

I have some bad news,mass exodus or not,GW2 is not the number one MMO and never will be.It will never make the kind of money that WOW makes and believe it or not GW2 will never be as popular.

I know you desperately want WOW to fail but it will be around long after you climb that cliff again.

Pandas or My Little Miss Pony,in the long run it will be Pandas who win.

I haven't paly WOW since before battle grounds so no i do not play the game.

I dont care if WoW is more popular. I dont care if it makes more money. I care that  FOR ME GW2 is a more fun game and so I play it.

Really,that's fine and dandy but with 17 post in this thread which has it's main theme about WOW it's hard to tell.

And I have bashed WoW how many times? That would be zero. Next time you count maybe read some content. Then you wont look so uninformed. But you seem to enjoy looking that way in your GW2 posts.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

I have some bad news,mass exodus or not,GW2 is not the number one MMO and never will be.It will never make the kind of money that WOW makes and believe it or not GW2 will never be as popular.

I know you desperately want WOW to fail but it will be around long after you climb that cliff again.

I dont care if WoW is more popular. I dont care if it makes more money. I care that  FOR ME GW2 is a more fun game and so I play it.

Really,that's fine and dandy but with 17 post in this thread which has it's main theme about WOW it's hard to tell.

And I have bashed WoW how many times? That would be zero. Next time you count maybe read some content. Then you wont look so uninformed. But you seem to enjoy looking that way in your GW2 posts.

Hmm, who said you have bashed WOW lol,i don't recall me saying that.Don't get mad go enjoy your game,i just answered the OP,you choose to quote me not me you.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I think youre completely missing the point of the thread / mentions of WoW. All the haters & trolls have been posting doom & gloom for GW2 on 9/25 because "everyone is going to go back to WoW for the new expansion because GW2 sucks", etc. With today being launch day for MoP, majority of WoW fans are likely playing it like crazy, but that doesnt seem to have really effected GW2.

As someone else mentioned, might just be that GW2 and WoW appeal to different groups. Which is kind of funy, because according to more various trolls, Arenanet is catering to and trying to get al the WoW players. Dont think they understand the difference between wanting to compete with WoW by offering something different than it and gaining its own seperate fanbase vs trying to copy it and take the same exact players from WoW. Apparently they believe there are only 10 million or so gamers in the world and so if you want a high pop ou have to take the majority of your players from WoW....

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

Man, I hope you did not break a leg or something, those cliff drops are nasty.

Also, I am glad that servers are closer to medium. I was able to join WvW in under 30 min this week :D

And I am a former WoW hardcore player, went and took the 7 days that Blizz gave me for free to see what all the fuzz was about and then uninstalled WoW again :) (took me 1 hour to install 15min of play and 1 min to uninstall)

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

XFire is a tool I never used and never will use.

As far as I know many people are not using it either so basing the population on a thing that less than a quarter of the population uses isn't accurate enough to say anything about the games population to say the least.

Really don't understand the MoP argument either since most players in GW2 didn't came from WoW but rather from other games or no games at all(meet a few).

Even many ex-wow players didn't bothered with MoP but were rather happy to have GW2 while letting WoW behind.

Some people spend most of their gaming time by going back to CoH to try and save it or at least get all they can do before it gets closed down aswell.

I know because I have people in my guild that were in CoH with me since 2004 (I started there in the first CB).

Went back starting to make screenshots of all my characters or letting my character online together with others, holding a torch towards the sky as a act of respect and a huge thank you for the great time the devs gave us through this unique and awesome mmo that is unfortunately only discontinued because the paragon studios department and with it the support are getting closed by NCSoft aswell.

Since there are also way too many timezones involved in every server, you can only put together such statistics for the time you are based them on.

So all in all I don't see any decline there cause lions arch is always full and I see people no matter in which area I go.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by observer

Obligatory Xfire claim.

Why do people still use Xfire as a benchmark?  It's VERY small sample size of players.  It's like how polling works during elections, and we all know those polls are meaningless.

On contrary polling is very accurate in showing trends - which is what Xfire does. 

Also I think you meant to say "I" instead of we in that last sentence, as the majority of the world still uses polls as it's been shown time and time again that they are indeed good indicators of trends.

At one point the masses believed that the earth was flat and that ships would fall of the edge of the Earth if they tried to sail too far off the coast. Later it was proven wrong so those old beliefs became meaningless.

I think we are all not quite there as far as the effectivness of polls :)

Wrong.  Polls only matter depending on the wording and questions.

A poll suggesting: "do you like GW2?", would bring about many outcomes and reasons.  Some might like all the different aspects of GW2, but the question is too broad.  Same if the question was: "do you hate GW2?".  A sample size of a few hundred thousand, out of millions, isn't accurate at all.

As to your point about the flat-earthers, that is factually false and a myth, but that's a debate for somewhere else and not in this thread.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

There are 9 medium servers on EU side and only 2 servers are on full status.

However, who was predicting this mass exodus? i never read anything about it?

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by ElSandman

Well, you know funnily enough I live in Australia, so it is really easy for me to see what it says at 4am EST.  Guess what, it supports what I have already told you, it shows the same thing.  (At least it did yesterday and previous days, so I am guessing it will today too).

Please stop. You are making us Aussies look bad.

I play Australia time (Melbourne) all the time on Tarnished Coast server and the server is still full as hell. A couple of nights ago I queued WvW at 6pm AEST and I still have to wait 30 mins before I can get in.

I play last night at 10pm AEST and damn Divinity and Lion's Arch still have overflow. I was out at Strait of Devastation and Malchor's Leap (the 2 hardest areas, should be shit empty by any game's standards because the spawn rate is ridiculously fast and packed) and we still have groups of 10s or so taking on DEs.

So please, stop making up crap.

I hope you warned Anet so they can plan for this load.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Mannish

There is no sub fee for GW2 so why would it be a massive drop 1 month afther release?

Boredom?

Ok it does look like the server online populations are reflected in these "statuses" as they are currently showing 3 medium, and the rest high, none full.

Still, since we have no idea what the actual numbers are from these statuses, the best trend information we have is still provided by Xfire.

Still showing exactly 3 medium and the rest high.  Dubious this information is updated regularly, tbh.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Ran off a CLIFF!? Dude... Are you alright? :O

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Couple points to straighten out your false impression of me here.

1. I don't really care how WoW is doing overall, I'm just happy seeing GW2 do well and am having a blast there.

2. I used a waypoint to get up the cliff, so it was instantaneous.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I nodded off sometime last week while banging on another empty keep. haven't logged into wvw since. Barely logged in at all this week. Was bored of pve at about level 40, did wvw for most of the rest of it only to end up completely bored with how it plays out as endgame. and at first it was interesting, then it was lucrative .. now it's just boring. a feeling im afraid perpetuates throughout the rest of the game for me. pretty, but boring.

dungeons are just bad too. certain death in pugs and pretty faceroll in a group. avoid the big scary telestrated attack .. that's it. dodge some fireballs .. so boring.

and I just love how they replaced healers and tanks with spawn points zerging. super awesome ...

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I wouldn't read too much into numbers, I know quite a few people who have reached that point where they simply aren't logging in as often, the new-ness having worn off a little. They still play, but just not every day like the first few weeks.

So whilst MoP may have an impact, I suspect we're just seeing numbers stablise a little as people calm down a bit and don't play every second of every day any more.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by azmundai

I nodded off sometime last week while banging on another empty keep. haven't logged into wvw since. Barely logged in at all this week. Was bored of pve at about level 40, did wvw for most of the rest of it only to end up completely bored with how it plays out as endgame. and at first it was interesting, then it was lucrative .. now it's just boring. a feeling im afraid perpetuates throughout the rest of the game for me. pretty, but boring.

dungeons are just bad too. certain death in pugs and pretty faceroll in a group. avoid the big scary telestrated attack .. that's it. dodge some fireballs .. so boring.

and I just love how they replaced healers and tanks with spawn points zerging. super awesome ...

Empty keep, really? What server was that? Man, you should try it lately, or perhaps grab a free transfer to Jade Quarry for example. I was 45 minutes or so in queue about 10:30 PM Eastern US time, and that was for a borderlands map. Getting in it was non-stop.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Empty keep, really? What server was that? Man, you should try it lately, or perhaps grab a free transfer to Jade Quarry for example. I was 45 minutes or so in queue about 10:30 PM Eastern US time, and that was for a borderlands map. Getting in it was non-stop.

Well not all servers are having a great luck in that case. In my opinion they should merge 9 medium servers on EU side. I would rather sit in a long queue and PVP with lots of players instead of banging heads against empty keeps. The map size are huge and medium sized servers just do not cut it.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Agreed.  The servers are almost all full.  This is why Xfire is not reliable.  What people are seeing directly in game contradicts what the numbers say.  usnews recently said that xfire represents a very, very small population in games from their research.  They said often under 5% of the total game population of the most of the games they reported on had xfire users.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Really,that's fine and dandy but with 17 post in this thread which has it's main theme about WOW it's hard to tell.And on top of that i quoted the OP not you but somehow my post had such an effect on you that you quoted me.

Why waste your time in this thread when you could be playing GW2.

Maybe the PVP here is better than GW2?

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

This just in, yesterday WoW:MoP had almost double the hours played when compared to GW2 among Xfire users. WoW:MoP placed second overall only losing out to the massive community of LoL but beat out CoD which GW2 has been failing to do.

GW2 continues to see slight declines even after opening sales once again and has yet to have a weekend that has seen more hours played than the any previous.  Is having no sub fee the only saving grace stopping GW2 frombeing a massive failure?  Many have stated that if GW2 had a sub they would not be playing it while others have said the opposite.  Let us continue to monitor the trends.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195
    Bought GW2 mainly because my guild friends were keen on it. Can barely bring myself to log in. For something which was supposed to be doing a lot of things differently, it sure feels like more of the same. I'm not bashing the game, its just not as big a deal as most people would like to believe. Guess I'm just too jaded these days to enjoy mmos.
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Ok it does look like the server online populations are reflected in these "statuses" as they are currently showing 3 medium, and the rest high, none full.

Still, since we have no idea what the actual numbers are from these statuses, the best trend information we have is still provided by Xfire.

Still showing exactly 3 medium and the rest high.  Dubious this information is updated regularly, tbh.

The USA servers proved you wrong last night. Do you really want to keep playing a game you lost so badly?  What is dubious is every statement you make, and you have been shown to be wrong nearly every time. At this point your credibility score is low.

The USA servers proved you wrong last night. Do you really want to keep playing a game you lost so badly?  What is dubious is every statement you make, and you have been shown to be wrong nearly every time. At this point your credibility score is low.

[mod edit] today thee US servers show 3 medium and all the rest high, zero on full capacity (just like it did at 4am) - does this show a drop in concurrent users? [mod edit]

[mod edit] today thee US servers show 3 medium and all the rest high, zero on full capacity (just like it did at 4am) - does this show a drop in concurrent users?  [mod edit]

Try answering the question, instead of the personnal attack.  Does your yardstick show a drop in online users or not?

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

MoP content > GW 2 content.

People will slowly move away from GW2 once they start hitting caps, completing dungeons and realizing that WvW is awfully boring and time consuming in the end. There won't be a quick exodus from GW2 because there's no monthly and even then people might log in every now and then. I still predict that gamers are going back to real mmorpgs.

I'd compare GW2 to a one-night-stand. Fun while it lasts but don't expect anything else.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

MoP content > GW 2 content.

People will slowly move away from GW2 once they start hitting caps, completing dungeons and realizing that WvW is awfully boring and time consuming in the end. There won't be a quick exodus from GW2 because there's no monthly and even then people might log in every now and then. I still predict that gamers are going back to real mmorpgs.

ohh yea i saw the MoP content

lvl 90 in few hours and run all heroics in 1 day

there are challenge mode left (will take 1-2 weeks max) but what after that? waiting for next expansion

and the crafting that you can make 1 scroll of wisdom a day and you need about 20 for piece of gear its soo much more content

CATCH THEM ALL!!!!! AND DO POKEMON BATTLES!!!