Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have some good news and some bad news.

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Obligatory Xfire claim.

Why do people still use Xfire as a benchmark?  It's VERY small sample size of players.  It's like how polling works during elections, and we all know those polls are meaningless.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Server population is about the same as it was 2 weeks ago...

Half full half high 2 med ....

Plus that graph was proven to be BS that or xfire puked.

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

Ok it does look like the server online populations are reflected in these "statuses" as they are currently showing 3 medium, and the rest high, none full.

Still, since we have no idea what the actual numbers are from these statuses, the best trend information we have is still provided by Xfire.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by ElSandman
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Well, you know funnily enough I live in Australia, so it is really easy for me to see what it says at 4am EST.  Guess what, it supports what I have already told you, it shows the same thing.  (At least it did yesterday and previous days, so I am guessing it will today too).

Its at this point I dismiss you as a liar. It does not show the same thing. Its not due to people switching servers. Go play WoW since you seem to be a fan and stop trolling here. When you first posted you thought the OP was talking about Xfire. From the start you have been unable to know the truth. Nothing has changed.

You are also wrong on there being no overflows anymore. Sunday 1 PM I stepped out of DR(human starting city) and into the overflow server. So far it seems everything you say is of dubious honesty at best.

Instead of being obnoxious and rude, set your alarm for 4am and go check yourself.

The incidence of overflow servers has gone from ever-present to almost nowhere to be seen.

I just logged on it is 1:17 AM on the East Coast USA and the servers are 3 medium the rest high with no full server. Is this enough proof for you that your claim of servers never changing due to current online population is false? There is no full server at this time in the USA. If you claim had a shred of reality then we would still see 10 full servers but we dont. My claim is true, yours was not. Have a nice day.

Ok it does look like the server online populations are reflected in these "statuses" as they are currently showing 3 medium, and the rest high, none full.

Still, since we have no idea what the actual numbers are from these statuses, the best trend information we have is still provided by Xfire.

Well done when proven wrong go back to Xfire claims. Just more avoiding of the reality.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by eggy08

I think it's 38k right now

[mod edit]

Well it was relevent when SWTOR was, 'dying', according to these forums....

I suppose the magic of GW2 makes anything negative, agenda-based nonsence eh?

I suppose that if you assume one thing is true in one case that it is true in all?

When we are talking about Xfire, yes. Tomorrows graph will give us a good look at what MoP did. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Well done when proven wrong go back to Xfire claims. Just more avoiding of the reality.

Can you tell me how many people are logged on when the server status reads Full or High or Medium?

Didn't think so. 

Eve shows concurrent users always.  If Anet did that we would have a reliable measure, since they don't of course I use other sources.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Volkon

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

How is that good news? wasn't every server full/high in the first weeks? Also on xfire (which can't be manipulated by Anet) gw2 is pretty much tanking (from 93k hours to 51.5k in 3 weeks, and before mop came out). Even SWTOR had better player retention 1 month after its release.

They have added more servers since, and players do tend to play longer the first 2 weeks. I myself kicked in 6-8 hours every day back then and that is far more than I can longtime when I have a life.

It is true that there are less people on the servers now than earlier, but not that much so there were no mass exodus as many people here said there would be (like a certain other game had).

Also, all stores around here still had the game sold out when I checked yesterday (but were going to get in new copies today) so people prefering to get boxes still have a hard time getting a copy.

No TOR had not better retention.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by eggy08

I think it's 38k right now

[mod edit]

I suppose that if you assume one thing is true in one case that it is true in all?

When we are talking about Xfire, yes. Tomorrows graph will give us a good look at what MoP did. 

We'll see what the rest of the week does. It's funny, GW2's launch didn't affect Rift but MOP's did, but MOP didn't affect GW2's online Pops. So Maybe it just  means they have 2 different demographics.

Can you tell me how many people are logged on when the server status reads Full or High or Medium?

Didn't think so. 

Eve shows concurrent users always.  If Anet did that we would have a reliable measure, since they don't of course I use other sources.

If you look on XFire GW2 have had more players than Wow the last month, and I am pretty sure that isnt true. And people tend to play new games more the first 1 or 2 weeks, in fact many people take time off from work then to play.

So at least use number of players as number instead of hours, it would still not be right but a lot better. We wont really know how the game is doing until after a few months when you have a long steady trend, Xfire is useful for that. But comparing the first 2 weeks is useless and really proves  nothing.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

We'll see what the rest of the week does. It's funny, GW2's launch didn't affect Rift but MOP's did, but MOP didn't affect GW2's online Pops. So Maybe it just  means they have 2 different demographics.

That is actually funny, one would assume that some Wow players got GW2 as a backup game and moved to MOP now....

Then again, all Xfire statistic are doubtful at best and only work for long huge trends (something which I actually say no matter if the numbers are good or bad for the game I play right now).

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by krakra70

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

How is that good news? wasn't every server full/high in the first weeks? Also on xfire (which can't be manipulated by Anet) gw2 is pretty much tanking (from 93k hours to 51.5k in 3 weeks, and before mop came out). Even SWTOR had better player retention 1 month after its release.

No worry. It's normal for any new games to have lot of people with long sessions etc. After release things come down. Thing is they should calm down ( what we want ) and not go all to hell ( TOR calmed down to his death ).

Didn't think so. 

You were proven a liar more than once today. Do you just want to keep digging?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Well, you know funnily enough I live in Australia, so it is really easy for me to see what it says at 4am EST.  Guess what, it supports what I have already told you, it shows the same thing.  (At least it did yesterday and previous days, so I am guessing it will today too).

Please stop. You are making us Aussies look bad.

I play Australia time (Melbourne) all the time on Tarnished Coast server and the server is still full as hell. A couple of nights ago I queued WvW at 6pm AEST and I still have to wait 30 mins before I can get in.

I play last night at 10pm AEST and damn Divinity and Lion's Arch still have overflow. I was out at Strait of Devastation and Malchor's Leap (the 2 hardest areas, should be shit empty by any game's standards because the spawn rate is ridiculously fast and packed) and we still have groups of 10s or so taking on DEs.

So please, stop making up crap.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I think XFire is a fine tool to predict the popularity trends of various games. It's been pretty accurate so far in other instances.

Look at the thread about XFire and SWTOR. It pretty much shows a predictive downward path that culminated in EA having to restructure..

Yes, BUT....

GW2, like GW1, has NO SUBSCRIPTION.  This allows the community to drift in and out, between other games and GW. I think you have to let the jury stay out a LITTLE longer because of this.

Originally posted by Loke666

Didn't think so. 

If you look on XFire GW2 have had more players than Wow the last month, and I am pretty sure that isnt true. And people tend to play new games more the first 1 or 2 weeks, in fact many people take time off from work then to play.

So at least use number of players as number instead of hours, it would still not be right but a lot better. We wont really know how the game is doing until after a few months when you have a long steady trend, Xfire is useful for that. But comparing the first 2 weeks is useless and really proves  nothing.

I agree that player numbers are better.  Unfortunately, Xfire doesn't chart those, even though it does capture them.  I think GW2 peaked at about 19k users and is not at 9.8k, so roughly half, whereas, hours peaked at 95k and is now 38k, so roughly 40%.  Ie hours have dropped more relatively than people as you would expect.

As far as more people playing GW2 (in the west) than WoW, who knows.  I am not sure how good cross game comp[arisons are.  The trends within one game seem to be fairly solid predictors though.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This graph doesn't have anything to do with MoP honestly, since it's not a live update. That downward trend is all of GW2's doing :p Even at that though it would be nice to see this graph overlayed with some other games. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

This graph doesn't have anything to do with MoP honestly, since it's not a live update. That downward trend is all of GW2's doing :p Even at that though it would be nice to see this graph overlayed with some other games. 

Here is the link - every covered game is charted - overlay to your hearts content.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You always get a drop after a month. I predicted this would happen because for instance.
    1 players bought it thinking it was like wow, then realised its not a loot pinata game
    2 players miss their friends from other games
    3 players who don't like mmos try it, thinking this one might be different, it is, but maybe not different enough for them.

4 players who like MMOs and not single-player MMOs wasted 60 dollars and lost hope once again

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I have some bad news,mass exodus or not,GW2 is not the number one MMO and never will be.It will never make the kind of money that WOW makes and believe it or not GW2 will never be as popular.

I know you desperately want WOW to fail but it will be around long after you climb that cliff again.

Pandas or My Little Miss Pony,in the long run it will be Pandas who win.

I haven't paly WOW since before battle grounds so no i do not play the game.

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I have some bad news,mass exodus or not,GW2 is not the number one MMO and never will be.It will never make the kind of money that WOW makes and believe it or not GW2 will never be as popular.

I know you desperately want WOW to fail but it will be around long after you climb that cliff again.

I dont care if WoW is more popular. I dont care if it makes more money. I care that  FOR ME GW2 is a more fun game and so I play it.

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

You know, hate to say it, but wait a month then have this discussion. 

Because GW2 is no ongoing fee, there is no loss to players to go play a panda for a couple weeks.  The real test will be in 4 weeks+, when people have finished the panda expansion content and then have to decide whether to keep playing (and paying) for wow, or to return to GW2.  Or go someplace else, like Darkfall : Unholy Wars in November.   I really do expect pandas will reign supreme, for about 3 to 6 weeks, then tank for NA customers (but we all know that expansion is aimed at the Chinese market anyway so WoW overall will do rather well out of it, even if people retrun to GW2 en masse once they have done all the raids etc and gotten bored of their monks).

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Flute

You know, hate to say it, but wait a month then have this discussion. 

Because GW2 is no ongoing fee, there is no loss to players to go play a panda for a couple weeks.  The real test will be in 4 weeks+, when people have finished the panda expansion content and then have to decide whether to keep playing (and paying) for wow, or to return to GW2.  Or go someplace else, like Darkfall : Unholy Wars in November.   I really do expect pandas will reign supreme, for about 3 to 6 weeks, then tank for NA customers (but we all know that expansion is aimed at the Chinese market anyway so WoW overall will do rather well out of it, even if people retrun to GW2 en masse once they have done all the raids etc and gotten bored of their monks).

Yeah honestly, I think you're correct on all points.  My experience with Cata was much like that. I really enjoyed it for a few weeks until it fell apart for me.

I'm not at all worried about GW2, as even if it lost half of it's player base over time it will be just fine.  It's a great game.

WoW also has it's merits, it's just that for most people, it's become a bit of a tired old formula, and visually it has become very, very dated.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

I dont care if WoW is more popular. I dont care if it makes more money. I care that  FOR ME GW2 is a more fun game and so I play it.

Really,that's fine and dandy but with 17 post in this thread which has it's main theme about WOW it's hard to tell.And on top of that i quoted the OP not you but somehow my post had such an effect on you that you quoted me.

Why waste your time in this thread when you could be playing GW2.