Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: New Dev Blog Details The Foundry

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Foundry for Neverwinter will be an avenue for builders to create new adventures for players using the tools that will ship with the game. Cryptic Studios has posted a new developer blog that lays out  what The Foundry is and how players will be able to utilize the editor, the community features and more.

There’s a number of ways for players to find content which has been created by the Neverwinter Community. Popular or spotlighted missions will be advertised on the in-game landing page, an in-game UI element which conveys a plethora of information, including quests, dungeons and events that you can do at your level, in addition to other things, such as Foundry Content. You can also find player authored content at one of the many job boards that are located throughout the public zones… You might also find a Harper Agent, members of a semi-secret society dedicated to the preservation of lore, and fighting the forces of evil, on your travels through one of Neverwinter’s many adventure zones. These agents will be able to point you towards player authored content near them – in almost the same way as standard quests are offered.

Read the full blog post on the Neverwinter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I've heard the idea of being able to make your own PvP dungeons being thrown around (not by devs).. It would be amazing if they could get that in at some point. Would be a game changer for sure.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Any mention yet if the lockboxes from the other two games will be making an appearance in this one?  I hate "Pay-for" keys.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 37
    I'll give the Cryptic guys this, they have some serious staying power. They've earned my respect for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is their ability to stand up to near-constant criticism and say, "We will not stop making games! We will not stop developing the games we have already made! And yes, we'll go right ahead and hire those poor guys from Paragon Studios and make our games better!" Here's hoping they hit the fairway at last with Neverwinter. Come on, guys, you can do this!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I've heard the idea of being able to make your own PvP dungeons being thrown around (not by devs).. It would be amazing if they could get that in at some point. Would be a game changer for sure.

Pvp is not part of D&D, at least it never has been to this point.  Hopefully they will not include it in the game, if they do, I really hope they don't allow the foundry to create pvp scenarios.  That is not what Neverwinter has ever been about.

Looks like the Foundry will be an amazing tool.  Let's hope they can include all the features listed here.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Pvp is not part of D&D, at least it never has been to this point.  Hopefully they will not include it in the game, if they do, I really hope they don't allow the foundry to create pvp scenarios.  That is not what Neverwinter has ever been about.

Looks like the Foundry will be an amazing tool.  Let's hope they can include all the features listed here.

PVP will be there from day one. That's part of the reason of the most recent delay. 

Oh and please there's nothing wrong with having competitive PVP-based team-objective-style dungeons designed by players. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Yuui

PVP will be there from day one. That's part of the reason of the most recent delay. 

Oh and please there's nothing wrong with having competitive PVP-based team-objective-style dungeons designed by players. 

Well IMO pvp breaks D&D, hence it is not really a Neverwinter game if they include it.  Pvp is definitely NOT necessary to have a good MMO.

I base that on the fact that very few games ever get pvp right, most just wave at it.  Why add something that will probably be broken from the start.  It is not a strength of the development team to start with.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320

Well IMO pvp breaks D&D, hence it is not really a Neverwinter game if they include it.  Pvp is definitely NOT necessary to have a good MMO.

You've never played with my group. Most of the people in my DnD group where backstabbing thieves who would kill each other at a moment's notice. PvP is in DnD, you just have to have people willing to do it.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Any mention yet if the lockboxes from the other two games will be making an appearance in this one?  I hate "Pay-for" keys.

This is a concern.

It is a Cryptic/PWE game so I suspect that such a mechanic or similar one will be in there. PWE being a Chinese F2P MMO semi-gambling company.

To my mind, the "foundry" is cool and all, but they should spend the time and effort on the rest of the game mechanics, because if the game systems suck, nothing else will matter.

And the game systems look like nothing special up to this point.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    just because there is pvp doesnt mean you have to do it if you dont want to...what concerns me a bit is the very limited scope of d&d 4... and that it seems the game -also regarding classes etc.- is very much geared towards good alignments...but i usually play neutral or evil characters...
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I base that on the fact that very few games ever get pvp right, most just wave at it.  Why add something that will probably be broken from the start.  It is not a strength of the development team to start with.

The more option there are, the better imo. If you don't like PvP you can just ignore it. This is a D&D computer game, that doesn't and shouldn't mean the same thing as D&D the real life roleplaying game. If they made a game that was exactly like the original D&D it would be junk compared to other games. Only the die hard fans of D&D would enjoy a game like that.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59

PvP in general causes way to many problems in a game.

Be it technical or the people who play it.

It draws way too much attention from the devs.It would be nice to include it in a way like previous poster mentioned- being able to steal off people etc. but warzones and the like should be a whole other game.

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Hehe. Player-made content. Can you spell "grief", "farm" and "exploit" ?
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Originally posted by Kreeture

Leaves you speechless, doesn't it, uh? ;)