Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reality that Trinity Fanboys can't handle

abottemillerabottemiller Member UncommonPosts: 43
It is fun to see all the griping on the fourms about how bad people think GW2 is. I keep seeing comments about how the grind is bad and how "I dont look any different than I did at a lower level". This to me points out the diffence in play that GW2 allows. So many of the people that try GW2 are ones that think they should have flashy equipment and power to show how much better they are than others. GW2 doesnt play like that. It is for people that want to have fun and now worry about showing off to others. My advice is to play to enjoy not to "one-up" others.

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

This post seems different from the thread title. I was expecting some debate on the merits of the GW2 system VS the trinity system.

Personally I like both. I find the trinity has its place in many games and sometimes defined roles are good. There are people who need that type of defined role to help guide them. I also like the GW2 system. I like being able to build towards certain things with classes that are not fitting into a trinity type obvious role as well.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by abottemiller
    It is fun to see all the griping on the fourms about how bad people think GW2 is. I keep seeing comments about how the grind is bad and how "I dont look any different than I did at a lower level". This to me points out the diffence in play that GW2 allows. So many of the people that try GW2 are ones that think they should have flashy equipment and power to show how much better they are than others. GW2 doesnt play like that. It is for people that want to have fun and now worry about showing off to others. My advice is to play to enjoy not to "one-up" others.

Different from the norm is BAD!  Go to your corner and stay there until I say you can leave.  Naughty thing!

Seriously though, like I've said, the more games that come out that try something different, the more variety there will end up being for players on the horizon.  Anyone who doesn't accept that this is a good thing is probably just stuck in their mindset.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Because competition is bad, mkay...

• Outkast22Outkast22 Member Posts: 51

Hmm, that is why all the "end game" gear grind is not about stats but making your character look as awesome as possible. Dev's have said this don't try and act like that isn't what the game is about.

I enjoyed the leveling process, but found myself actually missing the trinity system. Which I honestly didn't think would happen it was one reason I decided to play GW2.

• abottemillerabottemiller Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

This post seems different from the thread title. I was expecting some debate on the merits of the GW2 system VS the trinity system.

Personally I like both. I find the trinity has its place in many games and sometimes defined roles are good. There are people who need that type of defined role to help guide them. I also like the GW2 system. I like being able to build towards certain things with classes that are not fitting into a trinity type obvious role as well.

Your right I was a little mis-leading and you are right there is a place for it all but the fact that some can't make GW2 conform to thier model helps give me hope that this game will not get elitist as WOW has gotten. Just because I'm not decked out in great gear does not mean I can't do battle right. Skill is far more important than gear. This is good for us that cant sit infront of a screen and devote hours to try and be "better" than the other player.

Trinity is a system that has worked well but I don't think alot of people that play the other game can adapt to the paradignme shift. sorry for the spelling.

Originally posted by tabindex
    The OP... another poster who grew up going to soccer camp where everyone won a trophy.

lol you couldn't be more wrong. I'm 50 and conservative and I DONT think everyone should get a trophy but I dont see why thier cant be different trophies that reward skill not time in game. Compitition is great and needs to be in a game but who's to say that a persons a great player just because they can spend more time playing than someone else.

Your right I was a little mis-leading and you are right there is a place for it all but the fact that some can't make GW2 conform to thier model helps give me hope that this game will not get elitist as WOW has gotten. Just because I'm not decked out in great gear does not mean I can't do battle right. Skill is far more important than gear. This is good for us that cant sit infront of a screen and devote hours to try and be "better" than the other player.

Trinity is a system that has worked well but I don't think alot of people that play the other game can adapt to the paradignme shift. sorry for the spelling.

For me I came in to Gw2 expecting exactly what I got as far as the trinity and in no way would I ever want GW2 to conform to the trinity style. I like the way GW2 plays. I am currently working on a build with my Ranger that allows me to keep up a constant source of regen or burst healing. Now that said I wish there was a class that had a bit more of a healing bent to it as I do like to sometimes direct traffic as a healer.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    [mod edit]

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

[mod edit]

Actually since like GW2, soccer is a game based on skill and not some kind of wearable advantage, your analogy sucks.

[mod edit]

Gw2 is not an everyone wins game. People saying this are just showing ignorance of the game. [mod edit]

For me I came in to Gw2 expecting exactly what I got as far as the trinity and in no way would I ever want GW2 to conform to the trinity style. I like the way GW2 plays. I am currently working on a build with my Ranger that allows me to keep up a constant source of regen or burst healing. Now that said I wish there was a class that had a bit more of a healing bent to it as I do like to sometimes direct traffic as a healer.

I agree a class that specializes in healing "skilfully" would be great.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

The curious thing is, thre are literally  dozens of MMOs around now,  i think there's aMMO for every taste and flavor,  you want trinity? Want go around in spaceship? Want interstellar huge galaxies or going around in a Galaxy class ship? Want a bit more of victorian age in your MMO or waving a laser saber?  

I mean i am sure there's a MMO for everybody, but for some reason some players will bite an snarl when an MMO don't meet thier desire.  I prefer GW2 system, but i don't go around bashing  other MMOs, RIFT is good the way it is,  as is World of Warcraft. You like Trinity? go there? You like PvP free for all with looting corpses? Go to Darkfall . 

I honestly think Developer companies coud put on pay to write forums, while half the players are out playing the their game and have fun, the other half don't even log in but have fun trying to bash the game on the most silly stuff, really could be a business.

Don't like Guild wars 2? Sure is not for everyone, can't cater to everyone.. but.. a time you see you need a system that is obviusly not in the game... go play a game that have it?  

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Whether there be "flashy items" or not,you wont be the only one wearing them..

infact you'll be a dime a dozen,which I know makes me go "ehh big whoop"

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    [mod edit]

lol you couldn't be more wrong. I'm 50 and conservative and I DONT think everyone should get a trophy but I dont see why thier cant be different trophies that reward skill not time in game. Compitition is great and needs to be in a game but who's to say that a persons a great player just because they can spend more time playing than someone else.

Show me the MMO where you get super awesome gear simply for investing a large amount of time?

All the whining from people like you comes from the fact that you can't, won't, or dont wan't to get 19-24 other people together at the same time on the same days each week to tackle the challenges that raids present.

The average person who complains about that invests far more actual time into MMO's than the average raider.

The reality is the majority of the MMO playerbase are entitled and feel like they should be rewarded for basically loggin in and killing a couple of rats.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by elvenwolf
    The OP... another poster who grew up going to soccer camp where everyone won a trophy.

I guess this is instead another poster that needed a dooping  to play  because not being sure to win  and  not  being decked in  + i win for sure gear  is a bad thing.. how can i show how badass i am if i cannot own people based on gear only? 

The curious thing is, thre are literally  dozens of MMOs around now,  i think there's aMMO for every taste and flavor,  you want trinity? Want go around in spaceship? Want interstellar huge galaxies or going around in a Galaxy class ship? Want a bit more of victorian age in your MMO or waving a laser saber?  

I mean i am sure there's a MMO for everybody, but for some reason some players will bite an snarl when an MMO don't meet thier desire.  I prefer GW2 system, but i don't go around bashing  other MMOs, RIFT is good the way it is,  as is World of Warcraft. You like Trinity? go there? You like PvP free for all with looting corpses? Go to Darkfall . 

I honestly think Developer companies coud put on pay to write forums, while half the players are out playing the their game and have fun, the other half don't even log in but have fun trying to bash the game on the most silly stuff, really could be a business.

Don't like Guild wars 2? Sure is not for everyone, can't cater to everyone.. but.. a time you see you need a system that is obviusly not in the game... go play a game that have it?  

Yes I can put my relief in one sentance. " I don't think that I will ever be excluded from a party in GW2 just because I don't have a +50 Dick Tracy Decoder Ring of Slaying."

Originally posted by tank017

Same as any MMO really. Unless you can craft or find truly unique one of a kind items eventually you will never be the only one with anything.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Same as any MMO really. Unless you can craft or find truly unique one of a kind items eventually you will never be the only one with anything.

exactly,which makes Op's post moot imo..

No it doesn't what my post means is that in GW2 I wont be barred from a group because I dont have that same item.

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    [mod edit]

Show me the MMO where you get super awesome gear simply for investing a large amount of time?

All the whining from people like you comes from the fact that you can't, won't, or dont wan't to get 19-24 other people together at the same time on the same days each week to tackle the challenges that raids present.

The average person who complains about that invests far more actual time into MMO's than the average raider.

The reality is the majority of the MMO playerbase are entitled and feel like they should be rewarded for basically loggin in and killing a couple of rats.

Before getting an answer, I'd like you to show ME where any of these things are fact.  I assume that you're not simply angry at someone having a different opinion than you and actually have statistics to back up ANY of what you just said... right?  No, here you are begging for proof of things when you've just spewed a bunch of crap based on YOUR observations and biases.

I just had to increase the size of that one word you used, for the sake of humor.  I love me some humor.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Getting together with the same people, on the same day at the same time week after week to get gear is some big challenge? Sorry but no. The strats are widely known and the raid are not much challenge these days. Its no effort, people like you pretend that raiding is some special thing that takes effort and skill. It takes skill to be the first ones to do it, it takes little to be a follower a year later getting gear.

You act like grinding out a raid makes you special. You and millions of other snowflakes.

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75

A huge component of the endgame in GW2 is to obtain pretty, shiny, flashy gear for your character. Your post makes no sense at all. Did you just post for the sake of posting? Just wondering how well thought out your post was....

No it doesn't.  You're not even talking about the same thing...

Originally posted by evolpc

A huge component of the endgame in GW2 is to obtain pretty, shiny, flashy gear for your character. Your post makes no sense at all. Did you just post for the sake of posting? Just wondering how well thought out your post was....

How old is the game? and why do I have to do this at end game? things will change. To me a game is about the Journy not the end.

He also said POWER, not just flashy gear.  Power is not GW2's endgame goal.  Makes me wonder how well thought out YOUR post was, since you didn't even read his.

Originally posted by Eir_S

He also said POWER, not just flashy gear.  Power is not GW2's endgame goal.  Makes me wonder how well thought out YOUR post was, since you didn't even read his.

Thank you. This points out why I don't usually post to forums people want to comment before thinking about what they are commenting on. I like you padawan you are sharp:)

This discussion has been closed.