Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have some good news and some bad news.

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Volkon

The good news, right now there are ten full, twelve high and two medium servers on the U.S. side, so I'd say we managed to dodge the predicted mass exodus that some expected on this day.

The bad news... I kind of drifted off during an event in Orr (didn't sleep much last night) and ran off a cliff.

How is that good news? wasn't every server full/high in the first weeks? Also on xfire (which can't be manipulated by Anet) gw2 is pretty much tanking (from 93k hours to 51.5k in 3 weeks, and before mop came out). Even SWTOR had better player retention 1 month after its release.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What does Full/High/Med mean?

Is that overall populations of the servers or is that concurrent online people at that moment?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by krakra70

How is that good news? wasn't every server full/high in the first weeks? Also on xfire (which can't be manipulated by Anet) gw2 is pretty much tanking (from 93k hours to 51.5k in 3 weeks, and before mop came out). Even SWTOR had better player retention 1 month after its release.

They were mostly full the first week or so, but that's when ANet added more servers and increased the capacity of the existing ones. Common knowledge.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Who expected a mass exodus on this day? There is no sub fee for GW2 so why would it be a massive drop 1 month afther release?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    I like the game and ill keep playing it regardless of wht other people do. The only mmo i did enjoy and had to leave because of mass player exodus was WAR, and that was because WAR was designed in such a way it just couldnt work with a low population.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Mannish

Who expected a mass exodus on this day? There is no sub fee for GW2 so why would it be a massive drop 1 month afther release?

MoP?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You always get a drop after a month. I predicted this would happen because for instance.
    1 players bought it thinking it was like wow, then realised its not a loot pinata game
    2 players miss their friends from other games
    3 players who don't like mmos try it, thinking this one might be different, it is, but maybe not different enough for them.

The main reason being the loot addicted masses though.

But....

I think gw2 will gradually increase in players over time as the people who don't want a raid grinder realise arenanet made a game for the rest of us.

I can see myself staying a long time, its my favourite mmo since daoc. So glad it came along I was sick of themepark mmos over the past decade that essentially are all following the EQ philosophy. I still like sandboxes. But this daoc / gw2 style freeform, do what you like, looks simple but is deceptively complex, doing it for the fun and realm / server pride, community building style themepark is my favourite.
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

You sure can spin a story my man. Xfire is all the proof you need of tanking? You sure have some strict standards. Troll on.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I think it's 38k right now

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Mannish

The WoW fans who kept coming to GW2 threads and predicting the game was dead as of 9/25/2012. Or maybe we all imagined those people posting for the last month.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

The funny thing imo, is that as numbers drop GW2 becomes more playable.

As far as I'm concerned WvW is the only real endgame in GW2. The problem is the huge queues. So as the population drops queue times should also drop. Which should make the game better for those that choose to stay.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

[mod edit]

Hey sorry to tell you this Eggy, but Xfire just called and said that you weren't allowed to make sarcastic and hurtful replies about it either. Talk about high maintenance.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What does Full/High/Med mean?

Is that overall populations of the servers or is that concurrent online people at that moment?

That is users online.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Atlan99

The funny thing imo, is that as numbers drop GW2 becomes more playable.

As far as I'm concerned WvW is the only real endgame in GW2. The problem is the huge queues. So as the population drops queue times should also drop. Which should make the game better for those that choose to stay.

Beats me. I expected since MoP came out today that WvW queues would go down. Clearly isn't the case. YOU LIED TO ME XFIRE!

Could it be possible that GW2 and WoW are not sharing as many users as some think?

Personally I dont play WoW so there was zero chance that the release of MoP was going to make me make a decision today. I am sure I am not the only person in GW2 with no WoW account to go back to.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

[mod edit]

Well it was relevent when SWTOR was, 'dying', according to these forums....

I suppose the magic of GW2 makes anything negative, agenda-based nonsence eh?

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by Omnifish

[mod edit]

I suppose that if you assume one thing is true in one case that it is true in all?

Originally posted by Omnifish

[mod edit]

The numbers are not always meanigful though. I did not see anyone claiming the death of WoW a couple of weeks ago when it had like 5000 xfire users did you? No because that would be silly to claim no matter what Xfire numbers say.

Plus if people make the same predictions everytime a new game shows a decline on Xfire of course they will be right sometimes. If I sat here and claimed that every new game coming out would fail I would be right quite often, but not because of any real skill at predictions.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

I think XFire is a fine tool to predict the popularity trends of various games. It's been pretty accurate so far in other instances.

Look at the thread about XFire and SWTOR. It pretty much shows a predictive downward path that culminated in EA having to restructure..

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I think XFire is a fine tool to predict the popularity trends of various games. It's been pretty accurate so far in other instances.

Look at the thread about XFire and SWTOR. It pretty much shows a predictive downward path that culminated in EA having to restructure..

Or becuase they went off their own numbers declining instead?

Idk about you but I don't trust outside sources for my information, same way I don't trust strange vans for my candy. They might seem appealing at first, I mean its hard to pass up free candy, but sometimes they might be wrong, and then you get a bit butt hurt when you are. Just saying.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

WoW dip was pretty significant with GW2 release, no doubt about it, it's boucing back though and I am curious about data tomorrow when moP release will be captured. These data below does not have MoP yet included.

SWTOR is more the same patern weekly, the dip is for day when servers were down for half a day.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

GW2 2.2 million boxes sold. Xfire has 11k GW2 players. Sorry but thats too small a number for me to say represents the population as a whole.

Is Xfire a good cross section of gamers? By that I mean casual and hardcore? I dont use it so I dont know but if Xfire users trend more towards the 5+ hour a day gaming crowd then I expect them to in general flood a game for the first couple of weeks and quickly move on.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

swtor server loads also followed the declining xfire numbers... gw2 has not.. obviously servers are down a bit from launch but still very active and not showing even close to the drop xfire shows.. and that's even with a big MMO xpac launch today

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    We still make up over 30% with mop release date of all time on MMOs.... Don't see how that is bad. Gw2 actually has 1/3 , wow 1/3, and whatever other MMOs y'all trolls trolls play 1/3. So suck it. 
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    We still make up over 30% with mop release date of all time on MMOs.... Don't see how that is bad. Gw2 actually has 1/3 , wow 1/3, and whatever other MMOs y'all trolls trolls play 1/3. So suck it. 

They play open world forum PvP. Pretty sure thats not listed though.