Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, this "one button macro" thing I've read about...

SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

is it something that many people use to optimize their efficiency, and is it "needed" to be at the top of your game in Rift?

I've been thinking of giving Rift a try as I love the build diversity (as well as Trion's effort with the game), but I have to admit, the "one button macro" thing I've been reading about is a real turn off for me. Are you really able to make one, single macro that can do anything and everything? And is it even more efficient than playing regularly? If it is, that's pretty depressing. I can't understand why anyone would even want to "play" like that, let alone that it could even be preferrable (optimization-wise) to playing more conventionally.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask about it. Don't get me wrong, I can understand that there are people that like hitting less keys, or some that deal with arthritis and have a hard time with tons of hotkey management, but if you're actually better off spamming a single macro rather than pressing each skill individually at the appropriate time, that just seems a little backwards to me.

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Seillan

is it something that many people use to optimize their efficiency, and is it "needed" to be at the top of your game in Rift?

I've been thinking of giving Rift a try as I love the build diversity (as well as Trion's effort with the game), but I have to admit, the "one button macro" thing I've been reading about is a real turn off for me. Are you really able to make one, single macro that can do anything and everything? And is it even more efficient than playing regularly? If it is, that's pretty depressing. I can't understand why anyone would even want to "play" like that, let alone that it could even be preferrable (optimization-wise) to playing more conventionally.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask about it. Don't get me wrong, I can understand that there are people that like hitting less keys, or some that deal with arthritis and have a hard time with tons of hotkey management, but if you're actually better off spamming a single macro rather than pressing each skill individually at the appropriate time, that just seems a little backwards to me.

One button macro = never most efficient

Some classes are more macro heavy than others.

A player that uses macros, but understands when to use them and what they do, will be a more efficient player 99% of the time

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

There are macros but macros won't play for you. If you really wanna optimize your performance, some macros will help you, but you won't get such performance if you rely only on macros. Selecting when to fire each skill counts more than how good you are at making macros.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Ah, well that's good to hear. I have no problem with using some macros here and there to streamline some things, I just didn't like the thought of being able to do everything optimally, with only a single macro. Glad to see it's not the "end all" way to play.

Thanks for the clarification :).

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I use mouse over macros but thsts it. I tried a couple macros where you would cast one spell if another is on cooldown, but those tend to be more situational than useful. I like to have more control over my spells especially as a healer. So macros dont really fit my playstyle.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Macros WILL play for you in rift, because rift uses a fallthrough macro system.

So for instance you could macro
    Cast backstab
    Cast big attack on 10s cooldown
    Cast normal stab

And the game will decide for you when you can backstab or not.

This also applies to attacks that require conditions on an enemy or you to have just blocked or parried or whatever.

It's one reason why I don't like rift for pvp at all.