Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is amazing.

PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Been playing the beta, and I love it.. Although I started my gaming ventures in the FPS genre, it's been a while since I last visited it, since they slaughtered CoD after CoD 4, and slaughtered battlefield after battlefield 2.

I don't have the amazing twitch skills that I used to have, and I can't just jump into a scythe and kill 30 people in 5 minutes, but it still feels like theres a spot for me in this game, I absolutely love piloting the liberator, just positioning the plane so that both the bomber and tailgunner got a good view to the action, without compromising our security.

I get half the xp the killer (gunners) get when they kill stuff, but I also get bonus for vehicle destruction, and deploy bonuses.

I usually pick up randoms at the warpgate, but have made a couple of friends by being a decent pilot, who wants to be gunners on my liberator, just the other day, the bomber got an insane kill streak, I flew over an outpost that had like 20 TR on the roof, our tanks was about to roll in on the outpost, but we cleared that roof before they got there...

You should had seen my smile, from ear to ear :D

It's a great game, not saying it's without flaws, but the experiences I've had so far has been amazing, you guys should get your alpha squads, it's well worth it if you're into shooters.

Comments

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Welcome to the Planet Side Universe! It's a pretty fun experience provided you're flexible and open to irrational game mechanic changes from SOE. :)
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I'll put up with small annoyances (<- not sure that's a word) and changes, as long as the awesome experiences outweigh the bad ones.. :)

And I hope for the PS1 vets that they implement some of the stuff you guys are asking for, I never played it myself, but I can see it from your side as well, but for those that are saying it's a fail already, screw you guys :P I like it.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by PieRad

I'll put up with small annoyances (<- not sure that's a word) and changes, as long as the awesome experiences outweigh the bad ones.. :)

And I hope for the PS1 vets that they implement some of the stuff you guys are asking for, I never played it myself, but I can see it from your side as well, but for those that are saying it's a fail already, screw you guys :P I like it.

SOE doesn't do "small annoyances"... 

SOE does  "blatant insults to their playerbase"

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell

They haven't insulted me, until then...

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

just curious, no bait no flame

what SOE games have you played for an extended period of time (1.5 years or more)

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    My experience with these type of games is that they are freaking awesome for about 1-2 months tops then you realise a FPS on the PS3 is a lot more slicker.  I am really interested in hearing about your thoughts of the longevity of the game itself.  Its a game I know I will love but I have rarely stuck it out with this genre. 
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by chryses
    My experience with these type of games is that they are freaking awesome for about 1-2 months tops then you realise a FPS on the PS3 is a lot more slicker.  I am really interested in hearing about your thoughts of the longevity of the game itself.  Its a game I know I will love but I have rarely stuck it out with this genre. 

Depends on your milage and how you play.

Drop-in-drop-out playstyles aren't really good for PS2. If you want the quick 30 minute burn of shooting people, play Blacklight Retribution, its mutch tighter.

However, if you want to play with friends in a tactical fashion, with an overarching strategy, PS2 is the way to go. If you want to feel like you changed the outcome of a battle and the world, PS2 hands down.

PS2 will last you very long if you want to engage in it like you would a MMORPG with a guild.

It will probably burn you out playing alone though, its not that great a single-player game and has quite the learning-curve.

That's my sense of it as well.  My RL is way too busy so I have to go solo a lot.  GW2 has been good for that since people hit DE's together.  PS2 looks like an uber game for a well organised guild etc. 

Thing with games like this, once you win, occupy and defend a point or whatever, the questions is raised, what's the point?  That is where I struggle with FPS style MMO's as they tend to go light on the RPG stuff.  For single player FPS its a story line or just an arena for a quick 10 min blast, so they work.

Still interested in PS2 though.

That's my sense of it as well.  My RL is way too busy so I have to go solo a lot.  GW2 has been good for that since people hit DE's together.  PS2 looks like an uber game for a well organised guild etc. 

Thing with games like this, once you win, occupy and defend a point or whatever, the questions is raised, what's the point?  That is where I struggle with FPS style MMO's as they tend to go light on the RPG stuff.  For single player FPS its a story line or just an arena for a quick 10 min blast, so they work.

This could be asked for all games that involve territory control as a mechanic.

I mean whats the point in EVE?

The point is the entertainment to take part in something this large, also I know people that thake PS2 factions VERY seriously in an RPG sense.

There is that Terran vs. Conglomerate dynamic that is almost 40k Imperium vs Chaos, where the other side is regarded as heretics and scum. And the Vanu? Well, everybody laughs at the Vanu, untill they swarm your base with 300 Scythes.

You can find very strictly military outfits in that game where you need to login on time, take part in excercises, finish bootcamp, etc. Where you have strict ranks, even disciplinary actions if you don't keep in line or underperform.

I've seen amazing sharpshooters being demoted to my personal MAX engineer (you know, the guy that runs behind the MAX and repairs it, and is the primary target for every other sniper in the game) because they didn't show up on time for a base-assault.

Its like with every game, the deeper you go, the richer the experience gets.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The only thing I have beef with so far are the vehicles. The driving/turning just looks silly, but I can probably partially blame WoT and WoWP for getting me wrapped around somewhat realistic flight/shooting. Beyond those two games, I can't really think of a shooter that got vehicle combat right.

Not a huge issue for most I assume. Beyond that the game looks good so far.

Originally posted by AdamTM

The point is the entertainment to take part in something this large, also I know people that thake PS2 factions VERY seriously in an RPG sense.

There is that Terran vs. Conglomerate dynamic that is almost 40k Imperium vs Chaos, where the other side is regarded as heretics and scum. And the Vanu? Well, everybody laughs at the Vanu, untill they swarm your base with 300 Scythes.

You can find very strictly military outfits in that game where you need to login on time, take part in excercises, finish bootcamp, etc. Where you have strict ranks, even disciplinary actions if you don't keep in line or underperform.

I've seen amazing sharpshooters being demoted to my personal MAX engineer (you know, the guy that runs behind the MAX and repairs it, and is the primary target for every other sniper in the game) because they didn't show up on time for a base-assault.

I totally get that and I agree the more input/emphasis you put on a game and guild the more you will get out of it.  The thing with EvE (I played for 6 years), is that you fought over territory but there was a huge supportive element as well.  Traders, miners, explorers etc etc. So there was an element of RPG and a living universe.

PS2 may have that, I don't know enough about it.  Just saying that pure FPS type MMO's without the wider MMO experience can feel quite narrow.

Kinda jealous of people who can dedicate time to a guild or faction and really get into it though.  I am gamer that steals 1-2 hours here and there...

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

This is correct! SOE will fuck you over. It WILL happen. I can't tell you when but it will happen. There is no company greedier than SOE. 

SOE.. Fool me once, shame on you.. Fool me twice, shame on me.. Fool me 10 times, god I'm a fucking idiot..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yes OP, it is.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Kinda jealous of people who can dedicate time to a guild or faction and really get into it though.  I am gamer that steals 1-2 hours here and there...

You can have great fun in PS2 in a couple of hours. In the start when youre fresh as a daisy it might not seem like it, but once you learn the map and know where the hotspots are, not the ingame hotspots they are useless except to get you up to a front spawn faster.

But once you know where the frontline fighting takes place, your be having a ball. It's great at the moment for me as I have an NC frontline within a short distance of a TR frontline, so as Vanu i get to pick which battle i want to be involved in, great fun. :)

Originally posted by AdamTM

I totally get that and I agree the more input/emphasis you put on a game and guild the more you will get out of it.  The thing with EvE (I played for 6 years), is that you fought over territory but there was a huge supportive element as well.  Traders, miners, explorers etc etc. So there was an element of RPG and a living universe.

PS2 may have that, I don't know enough about it.  Just saying that pure FPS type MMO's without the wider MMO experience can feel quite narrow.

PS2 has quite abit of learning-curve compared to other FPS on the market right now.

There is a resource system and facilities do give resource. The resources then are spent by you as a soldier to spawn equipment and vehicles, even restock grenades, etc.

There is a point in taking facilities.

Well if it comes to miners, traders and explorers, no, those aren't in the game.

BUT, if you mean "non-combat professions" by that, then they most certainly are! Dedicated jobs is what PS2 runs on, because the specific certification unlocks are slow to gain (just like in EVE).

There are several dedicated non-combat or lets call it, minimal-combat professions that are essential for success in PS2.

On the fore-front are dedicated transport pilots (air-taxis) with specific Galaxy certs (you will want your Galaxy to function as a forward spawn, resuply, etc). Most of them never fire a single shot in their playtime.

Second are siege engineers, people who stay in the facility to repair either incoming vehicles or facility structures like turrets or generators. Most will not experience combat except for being shelled from the air.

And then you have medics and combat engineers, or drivers, solely focused on getting your Sunderer + squad safely to a destination by a safe route. Some highranking people play exclusively Recon so they can direct their squads better from a high vantage point, they never shoot, lest to give up their position.

etc.

So while PS2 isn't as "worldy" as EVE certainly, it has multiple roles to be filled. Yes it doesn't convey a living breathing world, but at the same time, this is war and there isn't any time to go around and mine for polymers (there are facilities for that) or research new tech (these are established Armies with established tech).

Of course, in the beginning you will want to do everything, try everything, but as you play more, you will discover that you like certain parts better than others.

I'm going to probably stick to being a multipurpose engineer with little to no combat.

Great response thanks.  I love support roles so I may get into this game and try being a pilot, I have always enjoyed the vehicle role supporting troops.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

I kinda disagree with the solo thing :p

Granted it's not a game you can run off on your own and achieve much in 

but

You can play solo ( Ie: no squads/factions ) and still have a huge amount of fun. In someways it is like GW2's DE's .. you can contribute to the bigger picture even if solo.

Rez/heal players

Repair tanks

Counter snipe enemy infiltrators

Jump in a base turret and offer AA

Defend or help capture certain points

Jump in a Reaver or Scythe and offer air support

etc etc etc

Since the goals are mostly clearly defined , it's very easy to be a team player even if you are not in a " team " so to speak

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

guys i never played PS1, now im playing GW2 and im bit bored, i remember years ago i played Global Agenda as Medic and i LOVED IT, i want to know if in PS2 i can play as dedicated support-only-medic because i love to play pure support more than anything else (maybe thats why im bored in GW2 because there is not "pure" support class/role).

edit: i would also like to know how good/bad is playing from Europe on USA servers, you know im talking about ping, MMORPG im usually playing on USA servers so 150~250ms is not problem but this is "MMOFPS" so im not quite sure if it will be playable from Europe on USA servers >.<

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

This is correct! SOE will fuck you over. It WILL happen. I can't tell you when but it will happen. There is no company greedier than SOE. 

SOE.. Fool me once, shame on you.. Fool me twice, shame on me.. Fool me 10 times, god I'm a fucking idiot..

That is perhaps the only thing preventing me from chipping in for an alpha squad & trying the game. I hear good things, and I don't necessarily think they're without merit. However, I've personally seen SOE ruin too many great games. And it's usually not in the standard 'bad game updates' or 'lack of support' type of way. It's generally in the 'how can we nickel & dime our players as much as possible'. Followed by 'oh? players don't like it when we do that? oh well'.

They're claiming that won't be the case with this game, but I'm not spending a dime on it without seeing that first hand first.

• CrashsplashCrashsplash Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by marganculos

guys i never played PS1, now im playing GW2 and im bit bored, i remember years ago i played Global Agenda as Medic and i LOVED IT, i want to know if in PS2 i can play as dedicated support-only-medic because i love to play pure support more than anything else (maybe thats why im bored in GW2 because there is not "pure" support class/role).

edit: i would also like to know how good/bad is playing from Europe on USA servers, you know im talking about ping, MMORPG im usually playing on USA servers so 150~250ms is not problem but this is "MMOFPS" so im not quite sure if it will be playable from Europe on USA servers >.<

Well, there are medic roles and engineer roles ..... each get a gun but I suppose you don't have to fire it :P altho your team-mates may prefer you to shoot at that bloke who is just flanking them :)

I wouldn't think playing on east coast US would be a problem. I played PS1 on both european, US East for years without an issue. I usually got 105-120 ping. Even playing on US west wasn't bad with 180-210 ping.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I think a lot of people will try it...

I think the game will get a lot of positive buzz on launch.

I think most will find the small-scale combat to be better than any other F2P titles and just a notch below BF/COD.  Some won't enjoy or grasp the larger scale and persistence of the game... those won't stick around long.

I think the game will do surprising well in Europe/Asia.  Similarly to PS1, I think you will see a core of players that play the game for extended periods of time.  I think that core will be larger than PS1 by a decent amount.

I wouldn't expect a mega-hit, but PS2 is going to end up a well-received game. 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Just got my key in the e-post. Been playing for almost 2 hours. This is the shizzle! Also, can anybody get me a bedpan please? ;)
  • biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

been playing for 3 days now and having a blast.

with all the good 2 are just about here (gw,torchlight,borderlands and ps) i even boguht the 40$ pack. 

this game is very much a fresh of air for those of us who lik mass pvp.

i played sp1 for about 2 months, and did like it, but couldnt jusify paying 15$ for it.

i think they made the right call with the f2p here.

also so far the cs does not seem to be p2w, but its still soe so we will wait and see.

anyhow, if they priced the alpha pack at 40$, for me, that is the price for the game, much like GA and TRibes did. pay 30-40 $ and get some cash and cool items.

is this game worth 40$?> hell yeah.

do you need 40$ to play it? hell no.

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

just curious, no bait no flame

what SOE games have you played for an extended period of time (1.5 years or more)

They ruined SWG - but everyone agrees on that one.

It was Vanguard, Saga of Heroes, that did it in for me.  Even now, it's still barely coughing along with 2 pve servers.  Begging these folks to have  1 pvp offering but even with free 2 play - Sony still can't pull it off.  Just mind boggling naivety.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

it's been a while since I last visited it, since they slaughtered CoD after CoD 4, and slaughtered battlefield after battlefield 2.

Man I feel exactly the same way, CoD blows after CoD4, and Battlefield 3 is just... terrible, I WANTED to like it but it got worse then again I'm thinking that's EA pulling DICE's strings like they do with other subcompanies they work with.

For me, I can't really get into Planetside 2, there's something about it that puts me off, maybe it's being FAR too twitchy for an MMOFPS game, Planetside 1 wasn't very twitchy but still required you to think whereas in Planetside 2, you move fast and shoot infinitely until the target dies and base capturing isn't necessary- it's just going to turn into another fragfest deathmatch where people ignore the objective just like in CoD and BF objective based matches.