Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My guild has no reason to play together. ( somewhat un-sociable game )

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

lol, most common activity while playing FFXI while in an xp party? Watch a movie on netflix while you cycled through your rotations lol. That game was far from social, it was a forced grouping game. It hindered socialization. Many of us socialized inspite of the game and the horrid mechanics that hindered socializing. 

Different experiences then. 

i played FFXI on ps2 and yes it had the premade chat responses it put in but between that and the auto translator(which wasn't bad) i'd say the game was far from being as social as some other MMOs.. I agree forced grouping and being a "social" game are very differn't imho.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    (...)

If the way the game is designed discourages grouping and socialization, then how come I never have any issues grouping or socializing in this game?  How come all the other posters here never have trouble grouping or socializing?

Either you are wrong, or we are lying.

Are you calling us liars?

Just because crimerate in a city went up, it doesn't mean that everyone in the city is a criminal or that the crimerate went up in every district of the city. 

A few ideas that could futher incentivize people getting to know each other and grouping:

• Add substantial exp bonus, drop bonus and gold acquisation bonus to people who do content together with people on their friendlist; larger bonus the higher "friend level" they have.
    • Add substantial exp bonus, drop bonus and gold acquisation bonus to people who are in the same manually created party regardless of whether or not they are in each other friendlists.

Edit: Furthermore, these bonuses need to be clearly explained throughout a main tutorial or another form so that people cannot miss it, because people cannot take into consideration to what they don't know.

Hey now... We don't level our friendships here. If we do that, some might get offended. Oh, sorry Dave but your only level 3... Why is Jim level 10 when we hang out more? Well Jim gave me this sweet sword and all... No, I'm not being biased Dave. Maybe, it's you that needs to stop being so selfish and share your loots with me...

Friendship levels is of course gained by accumulating "friend exp" from doing activities together.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by zakiyawow
    Originally posted by botrytis

You need to be PRO-ACTIVE in games to be social. That is in any game. Being forced to group, DOES NOT make a game social, as in Rift Dungeons. LFG tools DO NOT make a game social either.

Games that require you to communicate a lot either orally or verbally to advance efficiently promotes social interaction. So yes, I would agree that LFG tools in general don't make people more social; however being forced to group can make people more social if designed correctly, like in FFXI.

FFXI did not make me more social. I barely talk when I play that game. 

Of course different people who different thresholds for what kind of design is needed to compel people to be social, but in general, FF XI encourages people to be social.

lol, most common activity while playing FFXI while in an xp party? Watch a movie on netflix while you cycled through your rotations lol. That game was far from social, it was a forced grouping game. It hindered socialization. Many of us socialized inspite of the game and the horrid mechanics that hindered socializing. 

The game mechanics were anti social that isn't up for debate lol. Many of us did socialize but it took a lot of work and compromises. Forced grouping is bad enough, the extremes that FFXI took it were insane. 

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    (...)

If the way the game is designed discourages grouping and socialization, then how come I never have any issues grouping or socializing in this game?  How come all the other posters here never have trouble grouping or socializing?

Either you are wrong, or we are lying.

Are you calling us liars?

Just because crimerate in a city went up, it doesn't mean that everyone in the city is a criminal or that the crimerate went up in every district of the city. 

A few ideas that could futher incentivize people getting to know each other and grouping:

• Add substantial exp bonus, drop bonus and gold acquisation bonus to people who do content together with people on their friendlist; larger bonus the higher "friend level" they have.
    • Add substantial exp bonus, drop bonus and gold acquisation bonus to people who are in the same manually created party regardless of whether or not they are in each other friendlists.

Edit: Furthermore, these bonuses need to be clearly explained throughout a main tutorial or another form so that people cannot miss it, because people cannot take into consideration to what they don't know.

Hey now... We don't level our friendships here. If we do that, some might get offended. Oh, sorry Dave but your only level 3... Why is Jim level 10 when we hang out more? Well Jim gave me this sweet sword and all... No, I'm not being biased Dave. Maybe, it's you that needs to stop being so selfish and share your loots with me...

Friendship levels is of course gained by accumulating "friend exp" from doing activities together.

That was a joke.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

You need to be PRO-ACTIVE in games to be social. That is in any game. Being forced to group, DOES NOT make a game social, as in Rift Dungeons. LFG tools DO NOT make a game social either.

Games that require you to communicate a lot either orally or verbally to advance efficiently promotes social interaction. So yes, I would agree that LFG tools in general don't make people more social; however being forced to group can make people more social if designed correctly, like in FFXI.

Of course different people who different thresholds for what kind of design is needed to compel people to be social, but in general, FF XI encourages people to be social.

The game mechanics were anti social that isn't up for debate lol. Many of us did socialize but it took a lot of work and compromises. Forced grouping is bad enough, the extremes that FFXI took it were insane. 

Since, grouping was mandatory to progress efficientely and I usually grouped for hours, I felt compelled to start conversations with my team-mates and get to know them better. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Beyond dungeons and pvp there is really no incentive to group.my friends and i will talk through tells, mostly doing our own thing.We don't group because there is no reason to.

I don't see completeing a META event or taking down a champion with several others helping any differn't than gathering up 3 people to complete a (4) quest in swtor.. really trying to understand how it's any differn't in terms of how you play the encounter... in this instance lots of content in GW2 requires you to have more than just yourself around helping to complete it.

Usually there's enough strangers around to help bring down the mob.I have 5 friends playing and we've never needed each others help yet.

why not just have your friends around to begin with? kind of odd basically you are saying because it was so easy to find others to help out you didn't need your friends around..

It is isn't it lol. The game doesn't promote socializing because I don't need my friends since there are other people around anyways... such an odd take on things when you think about it lol. 

Not really given the circumstances the game presents, you're basically grouped with everyone around you even though you technically aren't.There's no worry of kill stealing, everyone gets credit for the kill.
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Since, grouping was mandatory to progress efficientely and I usually grouped for hours, I felt compelled to start conversations with my team-mates and get to know them better. 

Same here. I never had any problem socializing in FFXI. Not sure what game he was playing.

Since grouping was mandatory to progress pretty much at all you spent the majority of your time lfp. If you had people that you liked to party with a day or two of leveling without them or vice versa you could no longer group with them. You needed specific jobs which meant either you only made friends with those that played jobs you needed or you rolled what they needed. We had perma groups that fell apart because no one in our group wanted to be healer. 

What FFXI did was not a social game as far as game mechanics. Game mechanics promotoed a parasitic or symbiotic relationship. I need you and you need me otherwise we won't or can't group. 

Now I'm not saying you couldn't make friends in FFXI, I made plenty. But it was done inspite of the game mechanics. The game mechanics did not aid me, they actually hindered me in socializing. They did force me to interact with people I had no desire to interact with though, which was fun. Guy spouting off racist insults at another party member.. .Me:" Lets boot this Ahole" PT Leader: "Wait till we finish then report him, not any other Whm's seeking atm."

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Someone needs to make a meme of Smokey the Bear with the GW2 in game hat, pointing:

"Only you, can prevent socializing"

Eggy, your post about friend levels is the funniest thing I've read all day :)
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Someone needs to make a meme of Smokey the Bear with the GW2 in game hat, pointing:

"Only you, can prevent socializing"

Eggy, your post about friend levels is the funniest thing I've read all day :)

I aim to please.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You and the grouping=socializing crowd will never (yes, NEVER) understand why some of us find it absolutely crazy that

1. you need to be forced into either a stagnating or mandatory situation to talk to others
    2. you fault the game for that
    Now, if your argument is that you genuinely are sociable and that it's everyone else that doesn't want to talk to you or group with you so you want game to force them to be with you and talk to you... then the level of crazy just went off the charts.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Reading through these responses I mostly just LOL'ed.

Gamers are telling others that the game lacks social qualities.  They even explain why.

Defenders tout these people as haters or non-outgoing types of people.

Like with any game, when a big portion of gamers state there is a problem, and some others white-knight a company, saying "everything is fine!", there is going to be a big population drop in the game.  In this case, GW2.

Why?  Because the most vocal people are the ones saying there is no need for change.  These people actually destroy a game - reference SWTOR details of it's destruction. It's the hard-core fans that don't allow criticism who destroy a game.

People are providing criticism to make the game better.  If you shut them down, then you only will make the game worse overall.  It might be better for you, but who gives a damn if only 20% of the original players still bother playing?  White-Knighters will soon be asking, "Why is my server dead?".

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

Gamers are telling others that the game lacks social qualities.  They even explain why.

Like with any game, when a big portion of gamers state there is a problem, and some others white-knight a company, saying "everything is fine!", there is going to be a big population drop in the game.  In this case, GW2.

Why?  Because the most vocal people are the ones saying there is no need for change.  These people actually destroy a game - reference SWTOR details of it's destruction. It's the hard-core fans that don't allow criticism who destroy a game.

People are providing criticism to make the game better.  If you shut them down, then you only will make the game worse overall.  It might be better for you, but who gives a damn if only 20% of the original players still bother playing?  White-Knighters will soon be asking, "Why is my server dead?".

Forced grouping would destroy GW2 lol, caving in to the vocal minority would be disasterous. I haven't seen one legit explanation of how GW2 keeps people from socializing. 

Examples so far... 

1) Since there are already other people around I don't need my friends... 

2) The lack of forced grouping is keeping players from socializing... 

3) Theres nothing for groups to do, well besides WvW, sPvP, Dungeons, Personal Stories, etc... (lol)

4) You aren't rewarded for grouping so people don't do it, except for the numerous people in this thread that have stated otherwise... 

5) Even my guild wont talk to me so it must be the game.... 

Yeah, these criticisms seem legit to me oO... 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Okay, so the people saying that GW2 is a fairly social game...yeah I don't think it's a blind fanboy thing.  Let's just compare GW2 to WoW in terms of socialization shall we?

Both these games have dungeons that REQUIRE groups, so there is no use in talking about them, so let's focus on the open world.

In WoW, the open world consist of quests that each individual must do, and just about all quest objectives are "limited supply" and not instanced per player so another player can take your quest objectives.  In addition, many of these quests are chained so that you must complete step A before step B, before step C etc. etc.

The result of this design is that it becomes pretty difficult to group with someone because you essentially have to be at the same exact point in your questing.  And you generally don't want other players around you while you are questing because they will just take your quest objectives and make it harder for you to complete the quest.  The end result is that, most of the time, you want to AVOID other players while questing in WoW or another traditional themepark.

Now take GW2...in GW2, the majority of event or heart objectives are either shared, or instanced per player so that players will not "compete" for objectives.  In addition, the presence of other players almost always helps, and is oftentimes REQUIRED to complete certain events.  This actually ENCOURAGES you to actively group with and socialize with players in the open world.

Soooo when people say things like GW2 isn't a social game...yeah I just have to say something in return because it is SO WRONG.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Still butthurt about 1: people shooting down your guild idea. 2: Having to actually work on getting in a guild on your own, I see.

People being unsocial is just that PEOPLE being unsocial. It has zero to do with the game. Same with lazy people not wanting to work for something like God forbids talk to someone.

The game can facilitate social avenues, but that doesn't make people more social and that is the problem here.

To people bringing up games from the hayday. Those games were forced social. If you weren't being social you were left behind. As people knew each other back then due to smaller population. It's the small town, big city effect.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Now take GW2...in GW2, the majority of event or heart objectives are either shared, or instanced per player so that players will not "compete" for objectives.  In addition, the presence of other players almost always helps, and is oftentimes REQUIRED to complete certain events.  This actually ENCOURAGES you to actively group with and socialize with players in the open world.

Soooo when people say things like GW2 isn't a social game...yeah I just have to say something in return because it is SO WRONG.

I never experience people throwing around invites to group up for events..

nor do I see them socializing to complete any event..

yeah were side by side doing the same event,but I dont see that as 'grouping' at all.

seldomly does anyone talk either,its mostly like Rift,people silently do the event then move on.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I shall give you guys tips! 

This iiiissss HAO TO SOSHULAIZING FOR NOOBS

1.  Talk about things you are interested in and try to make it seem interesting to the other person without sounding douchy.

2. Be accepting of their reply and walk away if the reply is in a hostile tone.

3. Dont bring up topics because you think thats the ideal topic for the other person.  If you dont know jack !$&@ about it, say so. 

4. Quote Barney Stinson.  Why? Because when Im sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

5. Pay attention to the person you are socializing with! See that look hes giving you for calling his girlfriend a prostitute? Thats the "you are going to die" look. DDOOOOOOOOODDGEEE.

6. Talk about interesting things you notice about the activity youre doing in a constructive way. "Bish u suck! Noob" will get you nowhere.  Roleplaying a comatosed person does not work either.

7. If you dont feel like socialising but you want people to socialise with you about topics you want while waiting there then I would have to say...Interior crocodile alligator. I drive a chevrolet movie theater.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I never experience people throwing around invites to group up for events..

nor do I see them socializing to complete any event..

yeah were side by side doing the same event,but I dont see that as 'grouping' at all.

seldomly does anyone talk either,its mostly like Rift,people silently do the event then move on.

This is how most MMOs are though.  You group (if required), finish the quest, event, dungeon, etc., without talking, or just saying "hi", "thanks for group", "good run everyone".  What else is there to talk about?  This isn't new to GW2.  If you want social conversations, start RP'ing or start a conversation within a guild.  The guild i'm in is always chatting.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

TO THE OP

I'm sorry but, that's your guild's fault not the game. I've grouped up with my guildmates and friends several time and even if we split off to go do different things we always call each other when we find something cool or an event is occuring close by to where each of us are. We find and solve jumping puzzles together, we discover chests and hidden bosses... just because you feel you don't have any reason to group doesn't mean there isn't. You just haven't found it yet.

This is not a game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Do you realize that you've reached the point of making up facts to support your stance despite history, data and logic proving to the contrary that you are not only completely wrong in your assumptions but the problem here isn't the game at all, rather you?  Well, I realize you don't acknowledge the second part of that... but the first part, at least?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by delete5230

I belong to a very reputable Guild. The first week we had at least 40 people on ventrilo voice chat at one time, it was hard to get a word in. There were many others in sub chanels playing WvW as groups. We had at least 100 players online most all the time. WE STILL HAVE AT LEAST 100 PLAYERS ONLINE YET NO TALKING. No one one in sub chanels.

ITS NOT OUR GUILDS FAULT......We had lost our rasion to group.  Don't get me wrong I still love this mmo and same with our guild. It's just another anti social mmo. WvW is fine for grouping, but how much can you play it.

The open world social seems to be totally non-existent. No one is ever in heavy trouble, but with the occasional rez of the guy next to you. Like in another topic here, players names a just a bluer.

NO REASON TO HAVE A FRIENDS LIST. In weeks of playing I had one request to group, and dismissed the invite. I wish I took it but reacted to quickly to reject it.  Besides what would be the point.  The game is made for auto group.

MMO's like this is why there is no longevity, other than being B2P. My guess is population will drop often until major patches are given or expansions are released.

It's not your guild's fault. It is the players' fault. I belong to a SMALL guild but we have a lot of chat on the vent server. We have a lot of grouping going on between people as well. Just yesterday I went to the lower zone to group with some guildmates because I still get decent xp and loot because of scaling. We then moved to do a jumping puzzle together and had great fun together from all the falling off the puzzle. 

I dont believe in forced grouping. The game allows you to group. It is up to YOU to find people you like to play with and make friends in game. 

yeah the same with us, those who are in the raidcall we talk too much even if we are in different zones ..! there are so many hiden things, so much help needed for jumping quests, trends in market, sPvP coordination, announcement for World bosses etc ...

i will not judge your guild, but without talking in voice chat you are really lost in that game !

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119

What 'big portion' is that?

i have seen a couple of people complaining that they need a reason to talk or group with friends. I seriously doubt that there is such a big population of people that think they need to be rewarded for playing with their friends or in this case 'friends'.

more like special cases imo.

Seriously , if your friends only want to hang out with you or you only want to hang out with your friends just to benefit of of them or you feel the need to be taken at gunpoint to spent time with them then you do not really have any friends to begin with , how social is that !?

The issue is moot.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

My guild is national, largest Croatian guild so we all speak in our native language and chat is very alive. Someone speaking offtopic, someone calling for dungeons, PvP tournament or WvW. Gw2 offers things to do together, you can do everything together, it's all up to you to start a group and go there do it.

It seems people need a game to force them to group... Gw2 takes grouping with much more freedom so if you don't take initiative you might feel alone. I prefer it this way.

• bone12bone12 Member Posts: 31

i agree to most people it's the people in the guild that count..

i have a small guild with only 15 total members and about 60% of us are on all day long in ts playing together. Dungeon, Etc

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Reading through these responses I mostly just LOL'ed.   Gamers are telling others that the game lacks social qualities.  They even explain why. Defenders tout these people as haters or non-outgoing types of people.   Like with any game, when a big portion of gamers state there is a problem, and some others white-knight a company, saying "everything is fine!", there is going to be a big population drop in the game.  In this case, GW2. Why?  Because the most vocal people are the ones saying there is no need for change.  These people actually destroy a game - reference SWTOR details of it's destruction. It's the hard-core fans that don't allow criticism who destroy a game.   People are providing criticism to make the game better.  If you shut them down, then you only will make the game worse overall.  It might be better for you, but who gives a damn if only 20% of the original players still bother playing?  White-Knighters will soon be asking, "Why is my server dead?".

Okay, so the people saying that GW2 is a fairly social game...yeah I don't think it's a blind fanboy thing.  Let's just compare GW2 to WoW in terms of socialization shall we?

Both these games have dungeons that REQUIRE groups, so there is no use in talking about them, so let's focus on the open world.

In WoW, the open world consist of quests that each individual must do, and just about all quest objectives are "limited supply" and not instanced per player so another player can take your quest objectives.  In addition, many of these quests are chained so that you must complete step A before step B, before step C etc. etc.

The result of this design is that it becomes pretty difficult to group with someone because you essentially have to be at the same exact point in your questing.  And you generally don't want other players around you while you are questing because they will just take your quest objectives and make it harder for you to complete the quest.  The end result is that, most of the time, you want to AVOID other players while questing in WoW or another traditional themepark.

very much agreed still trying to understand how the game would be more enjoyable or social if for every event you had to stop and ask around for people to join your party.. how the event system works it just wouldn't make sense..I'm also curious how not having passive grouping would change how DEs played out aside from causing more frustration by requiring you to find a party.... thought Rifts open group system worked great and glad gw2 uses this idea and makes it even better imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg