Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Everyday I’m Levelin’

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In most MMOs, questing is the main way to level. It is also part of Guild Wars 2 but there are other ways to gain experience in the game that are equally satisfying. In today's Guild Wars 2 column, we take a look at some of the great ways to keep on levelin'! Read on!

Other MMOs give experience for doing just about anything, and Guild Wars 2 continues that tradition.  From finding points of interest, waypoints, and areas of the map, you get experience.  This allows the players that love to explore to gain some experience while they take a break from events and missions.  Let’s face it; we all need a break from killing once in a while.  Now you can’t reach level 80 just by exploring, but when you combine it with questing it gives you a nice boost to your experience gain.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Everyday I’m Levelin’.

This is my face after hitting level 80. Creepy, I know.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I hate leveling and in a game with no end game, leveling.... Well that's the point of the game. So it just doesn't work, I have no motivation to level :-(
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Rockniss - the GAME IS END GAME. How hard is that to understand? You want gear grind for UBER pieces, etc then this game is not for you.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I hate leveling and in a game with no end game, leveling.... Well that's the point of the game. So it just doesn't work, I have no motivation to level :-(

It has end-game, just not the one you want.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I don't get this talk about "leveling" at all. What's the point in gaining levels, shouldn't you just play and enjoy the game?

If anything, I'm leveling to fast. Before I have explored an area I already am high enough level to go to another area.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I just hit 80 on my first character the other day, almost exactly one month after I began.

I've started working on my second 80 now and am looking forward to getting each of my other characters to 80 as well. Not once has it felt like I was grinding out level or trying to progress, I was just playing the game and having fun.

• DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88
    I really wish crafting still gave XP once it reached 400 would give me more incentive to keep crafting other than new gear sets for other builds, oh well maybe in a future patch.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Destructhor
    I really wish crafting still gave XP once it reached 400 would give me more incentive to keep crafting other than new gear sets for other builds, oh well maybe in a future patch.

would make sense and hopefully something they will add in the future in the same fashion how you continue to get xp for SP at 80

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Destructhor

That is an excellent idea that should be shared on the official forums! Get to it!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Other ways? No offense but those 'other ways' have been in other games for a while. The only 'new' way really introduced is crafting or as I like to call it "I'm bored already just let me ding 80 already" experience. (Sorry its true for me at least haha ).

Sorry I know I'm kind of smacking the game but something about having it claimed as being 'new' or 'changing it up' makes me really annoyed. Its fine how it is but its just not new at all. I can paint my car red and make it look shiney new but in the end its still a beat up broken down truck just with a nice new paint job.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Other ways? No offense but those 'other ways' have been in other games for a while. The only 'new' way really introduced is crafting or as I like to call it "I'm bored already just let me ding 80 already" experience. (Sorry its true for me at least haha ).

Sorry I know I'm kind of smacking the game but something about having it claimed as being 'new' or 'changing it up' makes me really annoyed. Its fine how it is but its just not new at all. I can paint my car red and make it look shiney new but in the end its still a beat up broken down truck just with a nice new paint job.

It's all a subjective experience. The game feels new enough for me to consider it my precious gem over the last month.

Anyway, @thread

Been one month, still level 50, so definitely leveling feels like an "end game" quality experience to me.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by thekid1

I don't get this talk about "leveling" at all. What's the point in gaining levels, shouldn't you just play and enjoy the game?

If anything, I'm leveling to fast. Before I have explored an area I already am high enough level to go to another area.

It seems as though many players have a hard time doing this. They seem to feel that progression mechanics are the only fun part and that everything else is a means to this end. IMO, this mindset is a huge part of the burnout that plagues many on this forum.

GW2 seems to have been designed with a "the journey is the destination" mindset. I've been pretty much ignoring my level and just roaming around Tyria trying to get 100% on as many maps as possible while joining in any events that pop up nearby.  It's been a far different experience than your standard quest grinding, and it's a system I've found I much prefer.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Cyrael

It seems as though many players have a hard time doing this. They seem to feel that progression mechanics are the only fun part and that everything else is a means to this end. IMO, this mindset is a huge part of the burnout that plagues many on this forum.

GW2 seems to have been designed with a "the journey is the destination" mindset. I've been pretty much ignoring my level and just roaming around Tyria trying to get 100% on as many maps as possible while joining in any events that pop up nearby.  It's been a far different experience than your standard quest grinding, and it's a system I've found I much prefer.

Same here.  That's how I've been  doing the journey.  I haven't enjoyed an MMO like this is a while, and the level is almost irrelevant to me.  The game certainly isn't perfect (especially glaring WvW issues), but it's one I still look forward to playing everyday.

I can't believe the wide swing in complaints about this game.  It's almost like people want to complain, but they don't know what to complain about.  For years the cries were about leveing too slow (ie. EQ hell levels).  Now the community seems to be crying about leveling too fast??  I don't think anyone knows what they want anymore, but feel empty inside if they're not complaining about something.

I begin to see much more clearly why Ray and Greg left Bioware.  They probably said...the hell with this industry, no one knows what they want anymore, and we're tired of trying to please 13 year old kids who want to be a fireman this week, and a rock star next week.  But I digress...

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

My problem is when the leveling stops.  Progression models need to be present at all points in a game.  Exploration only goes to 100% and then ends.  Levels only go to 80 and then end.  Skill points that actually buy skills also end as well as traits.  What is left?  This applies to all MMORPGs by the way, not just GW2.  I don't count gear progression in the same category at all, as to me, it doesn't give me the same sense of progression. 

So...that leaves Alternate Advancement systems.  Ok, those are cool.  But those end too.  Hmmm...me thinks this is the real issue with the genre.  Progression systems need to evolve or be quite lengthy as to keep one logging in.  The only game I've ever seen come even close to this is FFXI.  With the whole one character any job at any time aspect, levels for every job will take a looooong time to complete.   But then, they have merit points.  They also have story progression that is intertwined into the game in multiple forms from deep side quests that give rewards like expanding inventory slots, to housing with it's own system of progression/buffs with furniture and so forth.  I havne't played in awhile so I'm sure I'm missing some others. 

So, for me, looking at games like FFXI for longevity, heck even older games like Utlima and Asheron's Call have systems that have helped them keep players over the long haul.  Current/modern MMOs need to look at these systems and evolve/innovate on them.

I'm hoping Arena Net takes advantage of this.  It has a great base game in place, now it's time to grow it and add progression models to help with the game's longevity.  Not more of the same, as that's a given, but new systems and such.

• MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    WvW is a problem, i think people are flocking to the more competitive servers as in the last week i have noticed the Fort Aspenwood population completely tank in WvW.. Only the eternal has a queue when I play, whereas a week ago all 4 were perma queued. And the "outnumbered" "buff" is completely worthless.. It gives you all PvE bonuses.. Completely useless when you are outnumbered by PLAYERS.. The buff should be giving you + HP, damage, crit or toughness.. Afterall, when a world has all 3 orbs and outnumbers both other realms 3-1 a pve buff is just a joke, you cant even farm mobs at that point nor why would enter pvp to farm mobs??
  • Poolman2000Poolman2000 Member Posts: 6
    I live for pvp, and hate leveling, feels like work to me. With that said, i love how they did leveling. My only prob is that i wish they had one hard core open pvp server with no safe zones, just one.
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

The irony of levels is that the environment "levels" with you so it's sort of a null issue. Nothing is actually really happening, it's in your head. The only thing that is different is that you are 80 instead of 8. NOBODY cares except for your geek game friends in your game blog...nobody, not your aunt, your wife, your girlfried or your parents...trust me...they don't. 

They just stare at me thinking..."ummm 80...cool I guess" and thinking  *neeeeerrrrrrd*

Speaking of which, I should be able to hit 49 tonight if I start now! :)

• leaf16nutleaf16nut Member UncommonPosts: 39

I hate levels with a passion!  MMOs should be skills based...

In Guild Wars case, why even have levels if they basically mean nothing? I can't get into any modern MMO, they're all so... Safe...

• arcwestarcwest Member Posts: 61

i bought MOP, but i am still playing GW2,, frack i just love the game..

My wetdream mix wow with GW2.. yeah i know that will induce hate from both sides lol

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 wouldn't be gw2 if it had say wow raids. Raids taint everything, the great strength of gw2 is it caters to just about all playstyles except raiding. When you have games with raiding, it always comes first and everything else second.
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

Don't forget that you can skale back down to a lower level when you go into a zoen and keep doing it.  So nothing stops you from going back after your 80 and doing that stuff.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by elocke

My problem is when the leveling stops.  Progression models need to be present at all points in a game.  Exploration only goes to 100% and then ends.  Levels only go to 80 and then end.  Skill points that actually buy skills also end as well as traits.  What is left?  This applies to all MMORPGs by the way, not just GW2.  I don't count gear progression in the same category at all, as to me, it doesn't give me the same sense of progression. 

So...that leaves Alternate Advancement systems.  Ok, those are cool.  But those end too.  Hmmm...me thinks this is the real issue with the genre.  Progression systems need to evolve or be quite lengthy as to keep one logging in.  The only game I've ever seen come even close to this is FFXI.  With the whole one character any job at any time aspect, levels for every job will take a looooong time to complete.   But then, they have merit points.  They also have story progression that is intertwined into the game in multiple forms from deep side quests that give rewards like expanding inventory slots, to housing with it's own system of progression/buffs with furniture and so forth.  I havne't played in awhile so I'm sure I'm missing some others. 

So, for me, looking at games like FFXI for longevity, heck even older games like Utlima and Asheron's Call have systems that have helped them keep players over the long haul.  Current/modern MMOs need to look at these systems and evolve/innovate on them.

I'm hoping Arena Net takes advantage of this.  It has a great base game in place, now it's time to grow it and add progression models to help with the game's longevity.  Not more of the same, as that's a given, but new systems and such.

I completely agree and feel that is the issue with most modern MMORPGs.  Levelling was always the point of MMORPGs be it skill-based or stat-based or both.  When MMORPGs first came out, longevity was enabled by the fact it took forever too level.  As your levels got higher the more experience you needed.  It wasn't strange to hear it taking six months to reach max level.  I never understood the point of rushing to max level and missing all that the environment had to offer. I dont believe that was how the game was meant to be played even though it is a valid option.

To support this long curve is where crafting and trading came in.  The idea of the economy being supported by the community.  There were no 'waypoints' and you had to walk everywhere.  While this is mostly frowned upon today, it provided a sense of realism to a game that is missing today (at least to me).  And unfortunately I dont see the current playerbase requesting it comes back.  Its too much 'work' and not 'fun' Current trend is to make an action-based/oriented game with RPG elements then rush to update content for 'end game' (position where levelling stops) to stay ahead of the players. 

I appreciate GW2 for doing something different, but the experience overall is just way too casual for me to invest my time.  I feel I am playing a character rather than being the character, which I prefer for immersion.

I wish Arena NET luck and hope it inspires other developers to break the mold and do something different.  Who knows, perhaps what I enjoy in MMORPGs could come back.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Gw2 wouldn't be gw2 if it had say wow raids. Raids taint everything, the great strength of gw2 is it caters to just about all playstyles except raiding. When you have games with raiding, it always comes first and everything else second.

I played WoW for quite a few years. During those years, I went to a total of *one* raid. Raiding is not the only progression route for level-capped characters. Personally, I prefer vertical progression through PvP at level cap. WoW has that. As does Rift. As does SWTOR. As does Aion. Etc. Those games held my interest for quite a while due to that vertical progression at level cap. GW2 doesn't have that. If I manage to make to 80, the idea of "exploring" a finite, virtual fantasy world will not hold me long term. It's free, so I guess that's ok. Different strokes, right?

As for games with "longevity" and never-ending (or nearso) character progression, EVE is a great example.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days