Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: What Now?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Love the games or hate the games, there’s been a lot of excitement in the MMO genre over the last few years. But now with Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, and TERA behind us, what’s left to look forward to in the not so distant future? We’re running down a couple of our favorites in this week’s The List.

I’ve always had a thing for the underdog and I’ve also got a lot of respect for a developer that admits making a huge mistake and commits the time and resources to make amends by turning things around. The Final Fantasy brand has no doubt suffered overall over the past decade or so, but Square Enix wasn’t interested in allowing Final Fantasy XIV to fester in the terrible state it launched in. Instead, Square Enix put together a new team and game plan to get the game back on track and has been making serious headway towards a relaunch. I’m personally interested to see how ‘A Realm Reborn’ shapes up and whether or not Square Enix can make amends with fans and attract enough new blood to really breathe life back into the game.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The List: What Now?

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

#3, Dat-Ass.....had to say it :(.

Jokes aside, Neverwinter shouldn't be #1 with Cryptic at the helm despite their new Parent Company. I'll say it outright that Atari had ZERO business running an MMO since they never understood that MMOs constantly develope content for money instead of only being a one-shot deal. So Cryptic didn't have the funds they needed to continue development post-release.

However, the key distinction needs to be made that BOTH Champions Online & StarTrek:Online were disasters at launch. Not to mention the latter was a copy & paste of Champions Online with different  models & themes while retaining the same art-style & engine.

Loading in to StarTrek:Online for the first time left a horrible taste in my mouth when the music was a slightly different variation of Champions Online, the chat system was the EXACT same, and the GUI was a bad copy & paste. Not to mention the EXACT SAME BUGS from Champions Online existed in STO.

Never again Cryptic, and I'm ashamed that they got their hands on such a famous title as NeverWinter :(!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I think more xpac's for existing games is what we are actually looking forward to first. Rift...swtor....GW2... And wow's next xpac.
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I think more xpac's for existing games is what we are actually looking forward to first. Rift...swtor....GW2... And wow's next xpac.

I´m looking forward to Secret World Issue #3 and #4 with the kickass NY raid. And the new world area

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

What 's next for me? 

1. Darkfall: UW

2. The Repopulation

3. Neverwinter (depends if it WILL be good, but I unfortunately doubt it)

4. WildStar (seems like a game that I could hate or just freaking love!)

5. Others....

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Mechwarrior Online and Planetside 2. Both have huge upsides IF they can manage to be done well. What does well mean? First class attention to detail and real deep competition. Fidelity to their source material. The engines do not have to run the way I want, they just have to be done well. They have to engage me. It has to be a visceral experience.  And both games could end up being done badly, which would be a personal let down. So for me, those two are my most anticipated.

Just My 2 Lunars

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

ArcheAge and especially Black Desert

Nothing from above article list interest me much. Burned out on most mmorpg types.

edit: oh and quite alot of single player / normal multi games - like quite a few games especially crpg's from kickstarter, and some non-kickstarter ones like Divinity : Original Sin and Elemental : Fallen Enchantress

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Next. /think

Next. /think

Next?

Hmmmm, looks like Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 until Assassin's Creed 3 hits. Planning on spending a short time with the Pandas, too.

MMOs? Well, Wildstar looks interesting, but other than that, I'm out.

*facing burnout

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I wish CCP would get serious about World of Darkness, it could be a game changer.  I think anyone of those games on your list could be a big hit, but I am not getting my hopes up.

So far Neverwinter looks very good, just depends on how Perfect World monetizes it.

I keep hoping SOE turns itself around and does a great job on Planetside II.  

The Firefall team seems to get it, looking forward to trying it out.

Not sure about Wildstar, taking a wait and see attitude about this one

As to Final Fantasy, they have cooked their goose, I will not give them another chance.  I still feel very ripped off from them.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

There's nothing on that list that peaks my interest really. I've had the chance to test Planetside 2 and Firefall and they're both uninspired shooters with a progression-system tacked on.

Wildstar is not really much known about. It looks like it could be fun, but I doubt it'll give us enough to do in the longterm, aka I doubt there'll be much end-content.

Never been a fan of Final Fantasy, so this is of no interest right there.

And Neverwinter... well... it's Cryptic, so what are we talking about really?

My list of upcoming MMOs to be of interest are: Arche Age and World of Darkness. However they won't release in the near future so I'm left with nothing to play really for the next year or two to come.

The MMO-landscape looks really bad currently, as none of the MMOs released during the last years have delivered. Rift wasn't really my cup of tea, neither was SWTOR or GW2. TSW looked good, but after three month I cannot be bothered to log in anymore.

What we really need is a MMO, where there's longterm goals beyond the first three month you need to level up to max and beat the dungeons and raids.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Cant wait till FF14 2.0  will probably play it till Neverwinter hits....and I kinda agree with Faded....I think that ass sold me on Firefall :) 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

FireFall...and

http://thewarz.com

and GW2 expansions! tbh.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Some of these interest me, I'm notorious for at least trying everything.  I would like to play a Sandbox to see what all the fuss is about too.  Not sure which one though...
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

So if you don't like FPS games or cartoon fantasy you are pretty much out of luck.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Hmmm... Does monster hunter count as a MMORPG? If so, that would be my number one pick for when MH3U comes out for the WiiU. The mainstream MMOs are just turning off a large portion of the gaming population and they are just gravitating to whatever is the newest thing in the market.

Console multi-player gaming, however, is something that i seem to always go back to "in-between" games. With the next releases, however, they might just be my main game while the other MMOs just become a little side attraction.

Lets see what time says. BTW, not excited for any of the titles announced. Have the highest hopes for FFXIV. Hopes, but not plans to go back to it.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    #1 Well, I'm actually interested in Neverwinter but... I'm absolutely sick of hearing about the Foundry. Yes, it's revolutionary. But like the last 10 news releases I have seen/heard on this have ONLY discussed the Foundry.  The toolset can be totally amazing for sure. But tell us about the damned game since that's what we'll be playing.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Darkfall: Unholy Wars, who cares about the rest.

I was looking forward to The Repopulation but that game doesnt sounds like it will be out until later next year.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I used to download every new FTP or beta known to man, however I am now having so much fun playing GW2 and TSW, my interest in new games is fading fast...
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    For the first time in years, I don't care what's next. Its good to have a home again.

Joined - July 2004

I just feel bad for those so jaded, they can't even see that they will always be saying, "this game sucks! What's next??"

Joined - July 2004

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I just feel bad for those so jaded, they can't even see that they will always be saying, "this game sucks! What's next??"

Er...looking at your gaming history one wonders if you are describing yourself more than anything else.

Me, looks like DFUW is next on the list, not so sure about most of the titles in the OP, not really my style of MMO's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

"If you’re a fan of large-scale shooter warfare á la Battlefield, you’re likely to really enjoy your time in SOE’s PlanetSide 2."

That would be true if they tightened up the game experience by a factor of 10.  PS2 just doesn't "feel" right when it comes to weapon handling, weapon firing, and character movement.  In my opinion, those things are the most important factor in determing what is a great FPS.  For all of the faults of BF3, DICE got that part of the game right (aside from randomly getting stuck on a small rock), and that's huge.  That's the only reason I still play BF3 over the other Battlefield incarnations that do everything else far better.

As of right now, I don't enjoy PS2 because I just don't believe the character and his weapons are "real".  Which is a shame because I've really been looking forward to the title.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by remyburke

Er...looking at your gaming history one wonders if you are describing yourself more than anything else.

Me, looks like DFUW is next on the list, not so sure about most of the titles in the OP, not really my style of MMO's.

Touche Kyleran. All I can say to those looking for a place to call home for a while is, I can relate.

Joined - July 2004

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78

Playing GW2 and TSW right now. Think I will be done with GW2 soon though, since I am a PVE'er and I dislike the dungeon play there. Maybe I'll pick of MoP and activate my WoW account for one or two month.

From the avbove mentioned games, none is very interessting for me, most games on my watch list right now are Single player or at leat not MMO, next immediate purchase will be Resident Evil 6 on PS3.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The MMOs I'm looking forward to:

ArcheAge

EverQuest Next

• YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29
    After waiting gw2 .. And how far i was exiciting about this game .. And when it launch i am dispointed

Never never feel that i waste my money on game as gw2

I did have games in my list but i tell you this , after gw2 problem and dispoint .. I am now having new rule ... I will never be so exciting about future mmorpg games that much .. I just wait and when they realse i ill try them

My mmorpg list :
    FF14
    blade & soul

My other games ( not mmorpg )
    Tomb raider <3 <br />Hitman
    GTA V