Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 is getting a bit more boring, every day i play....

1246712

Comments

  • adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSPosts: 2,035Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    5-8 hours a day that's your problem.

    I'm only level 43, play maybe an hour or 2 a day, and I just don't think I can do it anymore.

  • MogusMogus Anderson, OHPosts: 169Member
    I played Borderlands 2 for a bit after getting my Necro to 47, then went back and  rolled a Thief that I am in love with! Captures the feel of a Ranger (with Bow) but Nastier and I love it!

    www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

  • evolver1972evolver1972 Port Orchard, WAPosts: 1,118Member
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by evolver1972

    But, I guess the cool thing now is to talk about how lame GW2 is so have at it.

    I must be quite a hipster then, I got bored rather early during beta.

    Sadly I find it too repetitive to hold my attention. Also many aspects gone, social, reasons to group, trinity, then the whole downlevel/uplevel thing. Why levels at all then?

    Why do you need reasons to group or be social?  Why not just group and be social (besides, you need to group for dungeons and you group for sPvP as well, so there are reasons).  The trinity is still there, it's just fluid according to the moment.  You aren't locked into a specific role.  I find that to be challenging.  I'm assuming you don't like downleveling, though, I'm not sure why.  Downleveling helps keep the lower zones from getting boring, so....

     

    And there is no upleveling in the game.  If you go to an area sufficiently higher in level than you, you will die, fast.

     

    You got bored rather early during beta?  How long did you play?  Do you still play?  Have you played since release?  If not, why are you still concerned about it enough to talk about it?

    image

    You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

    Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

  • evolver1972evolver1972 Port Orchard, WAPosts: 1,118Member
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by evolver1972

    But, I guess the cool thing now is to talk about how lame GW2 is so have at it.

    I must be quite a hipster then, I got bored rather early during beta.

    Sadly I find it too repetitive to hold my attention. Also many aspects gone, social, reasons to group, trinity, then the whole downlevel/uplevel thing. Why levels at all then?

    All of my friends and I are at this point as well - we played the first two weeks and enjoyed it quite a bit until these exact things started to sink in. Bummer cause I really was hoping I'd have an MMO to play a few years. Now I am just glad for no monthly fee! I guess the next game I am looking forward to is ArchAge... years away :(

    What, you didn't socialize or group with your friends?  What exactly was repetitive?  Did you get to higher levels?  I'm only 45 atm so maybe it gets really repetitive after that but I find between crafting, exploring, daily achievements, map completion, jumping puzzles, DEs, hearts, and WvWvW that there is plenty to do to keep me entertained.

     

    If you're bored, you're bored.  I guess I just don't understand how you would find this game more boring than others.

    image

    You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

    Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

  • david361107david361107 chattanooga, TNPosts: 279Member
    Originally posted by abeltensor

    There is a reason you and alot of other people, my self included, are getting extremely bored with this game.  It is by nature extremely boring. 

    There is no endgame.  (thats correct.)  Every class is a Healer/DPS/Tank so wheres the skill when all people do is zerg all the PvE content.  Even in a 5 man group there are no defined roles to play.  No one takes the blame or all the glory.  Everything about this game is hand-holding.  You enter a new zone, You find the scout then head for the heart thats near your level.  You kill stuff or play a silly minigame, then you explore a bit, but its not really exporing because its all marked on your minimap.  When you are tired of that, you do your Personal story which isnt that personal because by around lvl 35 everyone has the same storyline with minor details changed. Rinse and repeat.  

    I absolutely hate the post WoW MMO era.  Pre-wow, it took hours to get one level, getting a reward ment working for it, quests were special events that you did to get unique items and even learning new skills was a mystery in the begining.  Now everything is on rails.  Theres no running across the direlands to get to BSD like in AC or going on a 4 hour epic corpse run because you died to a bunch of level 50 brownies in a zone 3 hours away from your bind point like in EQ.  with the linear leveling system that GW2 has in place, you essentually hit the climax of the game around lvl 5 when you obtain your skills and then everything else just is an after thought.      

     

    IMO, After vinilla wow, the genera known as the MMO died.  All we have left are large chat rooms with detailed graphical UIs and even then with the new phasing enviroment and other features of that nature, the social aspects of these games get lost in translation so to speak.  The devs who are making these games are missing the point by pushing so much on the idea that they need capture a causal audiance of players because MMos by definition are not causial games.  You are supposed to get invested in the character you created.  You are supposed to put a lot of time and effort into playing these games to achieve the smallest of achievements.  Devs seem to think that if they make things more convieniant then the game will be better.  This is false, Extremely false.  

    i agree as well

  • JetrpgJetrpg Whitehouse, OHPosts: 2,376Member

    Its an odd thing i have a 70 and a 30 and a few 15sish, my friends have 80s and they have been 80 for a hwile. They played the game as find the best exp grind it 18hrs a day to hit 80 .. well wtf.

    I have just been having a blast i pvp. pve, i go to low level zone and help people out, i explore, i just been playing not rushing through the game... i feel most playstyles we have learned do not match the goal of the game. There is always somethign new to do, someone to help out,etc. But yes hitting max level is not hard and you have to put work into dungeon runs (save one that is like a badge of lamer if your wearing it, changed now). 

    To me its a main mmo but i have plenty of other games to play also so this may impact me atm bl2, tl2, and x-com is comign out.

    "Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

  • RandaynRandayn Sellersville, PAPosts: 883Member Uncommon

    my boredom set in a bit faster....still trying to play the game though cuz I bought it and hate wasting things.

     

    have clocked over 100 hours of playtime and haven't gotten a toon over level 22...people say exploration is a strength but I disagree (and I LOVE exploration)....most things are pointed out on the map already and for those things that arent (hidden caves, jumping quests) there is nothing extraordinary about them...just another place where mobs camp and wait for you to kill them.  It is a huge world, but alot of it feels like empty space...even the smaller towns are very bleh...nothing to really do in them.  The best part of the game is the city and that also has everything pointed out to you.

     

    It feels like a very grindy, hand-holding adventure....and although i've said this a million times, the DE's are nothing more than waves of mobs over and over sometimes leading to a boss....yay....

    The fact that nobody is a tank or healer and everybody is DPS is kinda ridiculous...it wipes out the only way to give people a small semblence of individuality in your toon...no matter what game alot of people will have the same gear, alot of people will have the same build, but when you are in a small 5 man group, you will more than likely be the ONLY tank, the ONLY healer and if you are in a tight knit guild, you will be the person everyone rely's on in dungeon runs...that's gone...now it's a free for-all while hoping you have the right specs and classes to debuff (repetiitiously) and dodge/die your way to victory...no real strat...just stay alive and use debuffs alot.

    another uninspiring themepark fantasy MMO...it's a shame...could have been ALOT better...

    image
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Arvada, COPosts: 534Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

    All of my friends and I are at this point as well - we played the first two weeks and enjoyed it quite a bit until these exact things started to sink in. Bummer cause I really was hoping I'd have an MMO to play a few years. Now I am just glad for no monthly fee! I guess the next game I am looking forward to is ArchAge... years away :(

    What, you didn't socialize or group with your friends?  What exactly was repetitive?  Did you get to higher levels?  I'm only 45 atm so maybe it gets really repetitive after that but I find between crafting, exploring, daily achievements, map completion, jumping puzzles, DEs, hearts, and WvWvW that there is plenty to do to keep me entertained.

     

    If you're bored, you're bored.  I guess I just don't understand how you would find this game more boring than others.

    Hmm we always grouped and socialized while playing, we had an active guild for us anyway, there were 20 members and nightly 14-16 would be on at the same time, but then literally everyone stopped logging in and all around the same time. I randomly login to see if anyone is on, but there is only ever one person and its the same person.

     

    We did many zone completions, WvWvW.. I did some sPvP but honestly I really don't care for it (didn't in WoW either), it's always kind of the same thing in every zone eventually. I am only level 60, so I can't speak past that, but my friends made it to 80 before quitting.

    I find the PvE pretty enjoyable for while starting out but after awhile it just feels like.. whats the point? There is very little character progression in the game, which I hate. No new skills or anything really. You get all your weapon skills at level 1 and they never are any different/better. There is no reward for leveling. I can't stand out, I can't make a name for myself, rares drop off everything, dungeons are boring and i really don't care for the token system. I don't know what else to say lol. I plan on making an Engineer sometime and maybe a thief, but it will be by my onsies, as everyone else has left. 

  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta wallington, NJPosts: 2,136Member
    Originally posted by abeltensor

    There is a reason you and alot of other people, my self included, are getting extremely bored with this game.  It is by nature extremely boring. 

    There is no endgame.  (thats correct.)  Every class is a Healer/DPS/Tank so wheres the skill when all people do is zerg all the PvE content.  Even in a 5 man group there are no defined roles to play.  No one takes the blame or all the glory.  Everything about this game is hand-holding.  You enter a new zone, You find the scout then head for the heart thats near your level.  You kill stuff or play a silly minigame, then you explore a bit, but its not really exporing because its all marked on your minimap.  When you are tired of that, you do your Personal story which isnt that personal because by around lvl 35 everyone has the same storyline with minor details changed. Rinse and repeat.  

    I absolutely hate the post WoW MMO era.  Pre-wow, it took hours to get one level, getting a reward ment working for it, quests were special events that you did to get unique items and even learning new skills was a mystery in the begining.  Now everything is on rails.  Theres no running across the direlands to get to BSD like in AC or going on a 4 hour epic corpse run because you died to a bunch of level 50 brownies in a zone 3 hours away from your bind point like in EQ.  with the linear leveling system that GW2 has in place, you essentually hit the climax of the game around lvl 5 when you obtain your skills and then everything else just is an after thought.      

     

    IMO, After vinilla wow, the genera known as the MMO died.  All we have left are large chat rooms with detailed graphical UIs and even then with the new phasing enviroment and other features of that nature, the social aspects of these games get lost in translation so to speak.  The devs who are making these games are missing the point by pushing so much on the idea that they need capture a causal audiance of players because MMos by definition are not causial games.  You are supposed to get invested in the character you created.  You are supposed to put a lot of time and effort into playing these games to achieve the smallest of achievements.  Devs seem to think that if they make things more convieniant then the game will be better.  This is false, Extremely false.  

     Sorry but I think you are 100% wrong by claiming that MMOs are not casual and you are supposed to put a lot of time and effort to get even the smallest achievements. MMO makers realized that casual gamers are a huge source of income. The hardcore gamer is not.

     

    Your definition of what an MMO has to be is a personal one and not anything official. Sorry but just because you have 15 hours a day to play to gain anything at all does not mean games need to be built for the tiny % of players like you.

  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Nooo, AKPosts: 1,781Member
    Nothing lasts forever.
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta wallington, NJPosts: 2,136Member
    Originally posted by Randayn

    my boredom set in a bit faster....still trying to play the game though cuz I bought it and hate wasting things.

     

    have clocked over 100 hours of playtime and haven't gotten a toon over level 22...people say exploration is a strength but I disagree (and I LOVE exploration)....most things are pointed out on the map already and for those things that arent (hidden caves, jumping quests) there is nothing extraordinary about them...just another place where mobs camp and wait for you to kill them.  It is a huge world, but alot of it feels like empty space...even the smaller towns are very bleh...nothing to really do in them.  The best part of the game is the city and that also has everything pointed out to you.

     

    It feels like a very grindy, hand-holding adventure....and although i've said this a million times, the DE's are nothing more than waves of mobs over and over sometimes leading to a boss....yay....

    The fact that nobody is a tank or healer and everybody is DPS is kinda ridiculous...it wipes out the only way to give people a small semblence of individuality in your toon...no matter what game alot of people will have the same gear, alot of people will have the same build, but when you are in a small 5 man group, you will more than likely be the ONLY tank, the ONLY healer and if you are in a tight knit guild, you will be the person everyone rely's on in dungeon runs...that's gone...now it's a free for-all while hoping you have the right specs and classes to debuff (repetiitiously) and dodge/die your way to victory...no real strat...just stay alive and use debuffs alot.

    another uninspiring themepark fantasy MMO...it's a shame...could have been ALOT better...

     You can turn off map icons. This game was never about tyhe holy trinity. Whining about no healer so you can be a special snowflake means you spent no time understanding this game before or during your time playing.

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    Nothing lasts forever.

    so those diamond commercials are lying to me? blast them... but I will say i would never expect to play any game "forever" hell even 6 months is a LONG time for me to be playing a single game nowadays MMO or not.. to many games come out way to fast to be tied down to a single game forever.

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Nooo, AKPosts: 1,781Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    Nothing lasts forever.

    so those diamond commercials are lying to me? blast them... but I will say i would never expect to play any game "forever" hell even 6 months is a LONG time for me to be playing a single game nowadays MMO or not.. to many games come out way to fast to be tied down to a single game forever.

    You dont' last forever, so the diamond will end up in the garbage or on someone else's finger.

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    Nothing lasts forever.

    so those diamond commercials are lying to me? blast them... but I will say i would never expect to play any game "forever" hell even 6 months is a LONG time for me to be playing a single game nowadays MMO or not.. to many games come out way to fast to be tied down to a single game forever.

    You dont' last forever, so the diamond will end up in the garbage or on someone else's finger.

    but as long as the diamond is still around guess the commericals are right:P

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    Nothing lasts forever.

    Somethings seem to go on forever though and just get worse as they do . Take the Rolling Stones and Warcraft . Now theres two things I never thought I would mention in the same sentance lol .Lifes full of suprises .

  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Osaka, ARPosts: 363Member
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

    All of my friends and I are at this point as well - we played the first two weeks and enjoyed it quite a bit until these exact things started to sink in. Bummer cause I really was hoping I'd have an MMO to play a few years. Now I am just glad for no monthly fee! I guess the next game I am looking forward to is ArchAge... years away :(

    Is Archeage really *years* away?? I thought it is nearly finished? Anyway, that title is on my radar, so is World of Darkness by CCP, but that will still take some time. Until then I´m having fun with Secret World (awesome), X-Com (Demo released!!) and Planetside 2 (got a beta key, yay!) Also I sense a SWTOR expansion..don´t know why but I think Christmas might bring some surprises.

  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Arvada, COPosts: 534Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

    All of my friends and I are at this point as well - we played the first two weeks and enjoyed it quite a bit until these exact things started to sink in. Bummer cause I really was hoping I'd have an MMO to play a few years. Now I am just glad for no monthly fee! I guess the next game I am looking forward to is ArchAge... years away :(

    Is Archeage really *years* away?? I thought it is nearly finished? Anyway, that title is on my radard, so is World of Darkness by CCP, but that will still take some time. Until then I´m having fun with Secret World (awesome), X-Com (Demo released!!) and Planetside 2 (got a beta key, yay!) Also I sense a SWTOR expansion..don´t know why but I think Christmas might bring some surprises.

    Most likely at least 2 years - it's supposed to come out in Korea sometime late next year and still no NA publisher announced, it's very likely to be a 2014+ title for us with conversions and all that :(

    I got plenty non-MMOs to play as well. XCOM as you mentioned (demo was awesome.. really thought they did a damn good job!) Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored to name a few. XCOM I am excited about most! Loved the first few...

  • moguy2moguy2 Saint Peters, MOPosts: 337Member
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by evolver1972

    But, I guess the cool thing now is to talk about how lame GW2 is so have at it.

    I must be quite a hipster then, I got bored rather early during beta.

    Sadly I find it too repetitive to hold my attention. Also many aspects gone, social, reasons to group, trinity, then the whole downlevel/uplevel thing. Why levels at all then?

    All of my friends and I are at this point as well - we played the first two weeks and enjoyed it quite a bit until these exact things started to sink in. Bummer cause I really was hoping I'd have an MMO to play a few years. Now I am just glad for no monthly fee! I guess the next game I am looking forward to is ArchAge... years away :(

    What, you didn't socialize or group with your friends?  What exactly was repetitive?  Did you get to higher levels?  I'm only 45 atm so maybe it gets really repetitive after that but I find between crafting, exploring, daily achievements, map completion, jumping puzzles, DEs, hearts, and WvWvW that there is plenty to do to keep me entertained.

     

    If you're bored, you're bored.  I guess I just don't understand how you would find this game more boring than others.

    But your sig says youre 80 and you posted this today. Yet you say you are only 45. I call..whatever people call when they think you are fibbing! Love ya!

  • RyowulfRyowulf Greensburg, PAPosts: 668Member

    I don't really see the point of this thread or ones like it.  If you are bored, don't play.  Find something else to do.

    Unless the idea is to bash the game in hopes of getting a lot of replies. 

    GW2 is different in a lot of ways from what people are use to.  Including the idea that GW2 success is based on box sales not sub numbers. 

    If you bought the box, whether you played for a day or are still playing you have contributed to the game's success.  Thank you.

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,536Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by abeltensor
     

    When I was young, we were going to school uphill in the snow, with very low temperatures, frozen to the bones.

    The fact that we had to do it, because there was no other choice, doesn't make it more fun than not having to do it, in any way.

    Nevermind that whole "up-hill both ways" thing being a horribly mis-used and abused attempt at a dismissal; it's not even relevant, for one simple reason:

    You always have the choice to not play any MMORPG at all.

    Answer me this, is there ever, at any point, a time where you find yourself looking at a shelf of any given genre of games saying "Gee, this isn't a very interesting selection of games. But, well, this is all there is, and I have no choice but to play one, so I should buy the one that looks the least sucky to me and just deal with it".

    That's essentially the argument you're putting forth.

    Does that ever happen? To anyone reading this post? I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the answer is "no".

    Even back in the EQ1 days, you always had a choice. You could choose not to play a MMORPG at all. You are never forced to play any video game, MMORPG or otherwise. Ever.

    It's also incredibly ignorant to make such an argument as it implies that somehow people didn't really enjoy the the games, but played them only because "they didn't have the choice of something better". On what grounds do you make that assertion? Because those games wouldn't appeal to you personally, therefor they couldn't possibly have appealed to anyone else?

    Again, how could anyone seriously come up with that response and think "Oh yeah. That's an air-tight argument right there. I'm totally going with that rebuttal"?

    News Flash: People don't continue to pay a subscription, buy expansions and play a single game for months, nevermind years, if they aren't getting enough enjoyment out of them to make it worth their while.

    The "no other choices" or "not as many choices" argument is completely and utterly flawed at its very core, that it baffles me how often people use it as though it's some kind of ace card.

     

     

  • hcoelhohcoelho Rio de JaneiroPosts: 529Member
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

    I don't really see the point of this thread or ones like it.  If you are bored, don't play.  Find something else to do.

    Unless the idea is to bash the game in hopes of getting a lot of replies. 

    GW2 is different in a lot of ways from what people are use to.  Including the idea that GW2 success is based on box sales not sub numbers. 

    If you bought the box, whether you played for a day or are still playing you have contributed to the game's success.  Thank you.

    +1

     

     

  • SenanSenan Tuscaloosa, ALPosts: 783Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by abeltensor
     

    When I was young, we were going to school uphill in the snow, with very low temperatures, frozen to the bones.

    The fact that we had to do it, because there was no other choice, doesn't make it more fun than not having to do it, in any way.

    Nevermind that whole "up-hill both ways" thing being a horribly mis-used and abused attempt at a dismissal; it's not even relevant, for one simple reason:

    You always have the choice to not play any MMORPG at all.

    Answer me this, is there ever, at any point, a time where you find yourself looking at a shelf of any given genre of games saying "Gee, this isn't a very interesting selection of games. But, well, this is all there is, and I have no choice but to play one, so I should buy the one that looks the least sucky to me and just deal with it".

    That's essentially the argument you're putting forth.

    Does that ever happen? To anyone reading this post? I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the answer is "no".

    Even back in the EQ1 days, you always had a choice. You could choose not to play a MMORPG at all. You are never forced to play any video game, MMORPG or otherwise. Ever.

    It's also incredibly ignorant to make such an argument as it implies that somehow people didn't really enjoy the the games, but played them only because "they didn't have the choice of something better". On what grounds do you make that assertion? Because those games wouldn't appeal to you personally, therefor they couldn't possibly have appealed to anyone else?

    Again, how could anyone seriously come up with that response and think "Oh yeah. That's an air-tight argument right there. I'm totally going with that rebuttal"?

    News Flash: People don't continue to pay a subscription, buy expansions and play a single game for months, nevermind years, if they aren't getting enough enjoyment out of them to make it worth their while.

    The "no other choices" or "not as many choices" argument is completely and utterly flawed at its very core, that it baffles me how often people use it as though it's some kind of ace card.

     

     

    Well said.

    image
  • donjuanagaindonjuanagain New Orleans, LAPosts: 132Member
    I was pumped about this game from headstart to after the first weekend. Now I spend most of my time going drinking and trying to get laid.
  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by halflife25

    You need a break. I have never played a MMO more than a month anyways. For me al though issue is different. I am not bored of the game but i am stuck on my personal story and can not progress any further. So i am going to take a break till it gets fixed.

    Otherwise having loads of fun in game.

    Have played SWTOR for 7 months and half without interruptions with all my alts. Never in my life with any game so long. Maybe with wotlk including time to level all my 10 alts and some endgame 5 to 6 months. In media, with good game, wow, Rift, even Aoc and War (despite bugs), CO, ...  I could play for months, i.e. 3 to 4, every time dieing from wish to play. Ranging from half hour to 18 hours, depending of day and time. Then what happen is that on some average day, I realise I need detour.

    Currently playing MOP but for the first time I'm thinking about time to return to continue with Gw2.

  • loulakiloulaki PatrasPosts: 918Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

    I still play as much as I can afford to beside work and family. Opinions vary, as well as play styles.

    [mod edit]

    the same for me, i was waiting to end my exams to really enjoy the game, and now i fear when the classes and the weekend jobs start again ..!

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.