Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warcraft: Pandaria Launch Day Thoughts

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Acvivm
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Somewhere in there is a quest giver (a post from reddit):  http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/10fvz1/4_of_those_pixels_are_a_quest_giver/

That pic is obviously doctored since this game is dead..../sarcasm

Er, I don't see any pandas in there, maybe its an old screen shot? image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Mitiya

but right now I'm into the everchanging world of GWII.

Everchanging? It's been the same everyday that I've logged in.

Well that's because .... aw hell with it.image

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Originally posted by nixium

I have now played the expansion and even rolled a Panda. 

This is my initial finding and conclusion:

It was like watching a Saturday morning cartoon show, with controls.

And I don't watch them anymore.

So I'm sticking with Lord of the Rings Online while I ponder my next move. Possibly to more mature MMORPG's.

End of WoW? No. But it's definitely moving towards a younger audience and those seeking a maturer game might want to consider other titles out there.

u-  my friend nailed it!

I call BS or all you did was roll a level 1 panda.  On my 85 horde I was ushered to a new world that reminded me of landing on Skull Island in King Kong.  Immediately we attacked an Alliance ship and the first few quests were us blasting away at the Alliance dogs!

Then we land and have to assault their base and kill their captain.  Yeah, just like a Saturday morning cartoon!   *sarcasm*      I didn't find anything remotely silly or childish about it. 

• KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39

Every time I go to a map something is different. An outpost has been taken, theres another dinamic event that I have never heard of, some World Boss that I havent found, etc... If you are not seeing this, I am sorry. Good luck playing MoP! Maybe you will find it more "dynamic" and less repetitive.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Somewhere in there is a quest giver (a post from reddit):  http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/10fvz1/4_of_those_pixels_are_a_quest_giver/

I know you guys are having a little fun with that one, but, for those not in the know, in that mess is the quest giver that allows alliance members to go to Pandaria.

Surely somebody, somewhere saw this coming.

No?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Well that's because .... aw hell with it.image

Told ya it was getting old. image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

I want to clarify that I am in no way saying their statistics are representative of the whole or are near accurate to current numbers/trends as an individual source. Think it's fair to say the xfire users are not representative of the whole on this one.

Just thought their stats looked fun for MoP release day as it shows GW2 retaining it's 1/3rd userbase still while MoP now takes up 1/3rd of it's own.

Implications? I could make something up, but I would be wrong for doing so. I honestly just like they way they split the chart,

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68
    One thing that strikes me is how everyone wants to go back to the factions hating one another. Frankly that is not progress nor is it in my mind, realistic. To do so would be to unlearn all the lessons the various fictional factions have learned over the course of the game's story. So let's take the conflict and really turn it on its head. Heck maybe even <gasp> Change the factions! Humans and Orcs against everyone else. That would be different. The player base is already so Pro-Horde that faction fighting seems pointless. to me. YMMV

Just My 2 Lunars

• kichwaskichwas Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Deivos

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

I want to clarify that I am in no way saying their statistics are representative of the whole or are near accurate to current numbers/trends as an individual source. Think it's fair to say the xfire users are not representative of the whole on this one.

Just thought their stats looked fun for MoP release day as it shows GW2 retaining it's 1/3rd userbase still while MoP now takes up 1/3rd of it's own.

Is xfire reliable? Elsewhere I've seen a chart from xfire showing GW2 nosediving. Yet this one shows it holding 1/3. So it makes me wonder, is xfire the one that's correct, or instead is xfire the one that is correct? Or are they just making different charts to play both sides of the field and sound like a relevant news source?

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

http://beta.xfire.com/games/wow

Mind you, I started WoW on Dec 25, 2006 - I still own the guild I created in April of 2007.

I've yet to buy MoP. I had the beta. Same game as before.

Currently two characters in GW2 that are running dungeons, and own a guild there now.

- I'm interested in seeing MoP, but my excitement for it went away some time ago.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by kichwas

Is xfire reliable? Elsewhere I've seen a chart from xfire showing GW2 nosediving. Yet this one shows it holding 1/3. So it makes me wonder, is xfire the one that's correct, or instead is xfire the one that is correct? Or are they just making different charts to play both sides of the field and sound like a relevant news source?

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

http://beta.xfire.com/games/wow

Mind you, I started WoW on Dec 25, 2006 - I still own the guild I created in April of 2007.

I've yet to buy MoP. I had the beta. Same game as before.

Currently two characters in GW2 that are running dungeons, and own a guild there now.

- I'm interested in seeing MoP, but my excitement for it went away some time ago.

Well I will note that the charts on the individual pages can be found overlaid on one another under the pie chart  if one clicks the plus sign. That grants some perspective on the stats as the GW2 chart is measured at twice the scale the WoW one is on xfire.

Beyond noting how their stats are setup though, I can't say it actually means anything. Like I said they are only one perspective on the matter and it's safe to say they do not represent the whole in this case.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    I'm toying with the idea of playing WoW, but the only person I know that would try it would be my brother and he'll half ass it after 2 hours.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by botrytis
    I played the bata of this and I thought - this is the best Blizzard can do? Sorry, now it feels just like other Asian grinders (has Pandas and Pokemon) - way to innovate!

For years, when people ask what players want in an MMO, I always see people say, pokemon type pet battles. You would think people would be happy an MMO is doing this. One more thing to do in the game that isn't a dungeon or raid.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by ScorpionOne
    I really hope that World of Warcraft: Mists of Panderia can deliver on what  it promises.  I really do.  I hope it can be what everyone that plays it wants it to be.  I wish it the best of luck.  
    WoW gave me seven good years.  But sadly, there won't be an 8th and beyond for me.  Au revouir, mon ami.

In addition to this, I only hope that the players going back will stay because it's much nicer in the games I play with them gone.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm sure you're just joking, but in case there is someone that does think that...near the chat is a little dog looking creature (has beard), you only can get that with MoP collectors edition right now.

I don't know if I'm going to get MoP right away, I didn't do that with BC and Wrath and enjoyed them, Cata I just bought right away and felt like it was a waste overall, since the only part I really enjoyed was the free vanilla changes...so I'm hesitant, so far I'm only hearing good things about it...I think it will sell a tiny bit less than Cata at first, because a lot of people are hestant, but it will do better overall.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka
    This will be the first WoW expansion that I won't be buying. But it will be interesting to see what people think.

This, and this.  It's already pretty interesting.  It'll sell well, but overall I think it's going to fair worse than Cata, for obvious reasons.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    I played the bata of this and I thought - this is the best Blizzard can do? Sorry, now it feels just like other Asian grinders (has Pandas and Pokemon) - way to innovate!

For years, when people ask what players want in an MMO, I always see people say, pokemon type pet battles. You would think people would be happy an MMO is doing this. One more thing to do in the game that isn't a dungeon or raid.

Did they? I don't ever recall them asking for a specific thing like that.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by patsfan32
    Originally posted by Mueslinator

I have been experiencing "Launch days" of all of WoW's expansions until now. MoP will be the first expansion I don't bother with.

I still am active in the forum of a guild that plays WoW, and their reports until now are the usual: Servers crashing, login queues, the first max levels after a couple of hours.

MoP just din't hit my tastes. I don't care for Asian themes. Beating a rotting horse: And I find that this newest addition simply doesn't fit and belong. It feels somehow wrong. LIke adding gremlins to "A Song Of Ice And Fire". I don't hate gremlins, but they simply don't fit into the franchise. And thus, there really is no incentive for me to go back. Which is a shame, since WoW has been a part of my life for years. But that's a past WoW.

You do know that the Pandaren have been a part of the lore since the very beginning right? Have you even ever touched a Warcraft game before wow?

Indeed I know that. They were part of an easter egg with the Pandaren Brewmaster unit in WCIII. Particularly Brewmaster Chen Stormstout, who has been referenced in the (Vanilla) Barrens with a quest around "Chen's empty keg".

That does not mean they fit into the universe. There is a reason why they have played a very minor role in WarCraft, never making an actual appearance (unlike Goblins, Worgen, Draenei and Blood Elves - the other expansion races) in both Lore and MMORPG before being announced as the major feature of an entire expansion.

I don't begrudge people who like them their joy. May they be happy until the end of days. But personally, I find the Pandaren do not fit into the world built by Blizzard. They tear a hole into its already shaky coherence.

In conclusion, I'd like you to consider forgoing ad-hominem attacks, particularly against people you know nothing about. I have played every WarCraft game, have been an active community member of WoW for almost seven years and quite franky, resent your unfounded allegations.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Did they? I don't ever recall them asking for a specific thing like that.

Yeah, I always see that and a game of thrones MMO when the question is asked.

• WarDekarWarDekar Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Karazul

Every time I go to a map something is different. An outpost has been taken, theres another dinamic event that I have never heard of, some World Boss that I havent found, etc... If you are not seeing this, I am sorry. Good luck playing MoP! Maybe you will find it more "dynamic" and less repetitive.

You would have to be playing like only 15 minutes a day to be experiencing this. Don't get me wrong I love playing GW2 but be careful how you use "every time".

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I started on a new fresh PvE server andI made my way through the Pandarian starting area as a Windwalker monk. Awesome!

I took my time and gathered herbs and copper in the area for an hour.The class/profession itself is pretty basic and right now reminds me of a rogue. I chose Alliance as my faction and am currently scanning the AH and then I will continue my Pandarian journey, and mixing it up with my Norn Guardian in GW2 this evening.

It's much easier to choose all mmorpgs as your favorites instead of arguing about which one is better or worse. I'm playing and having a great day in Azeroth and Tyria!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by nsignific
    Amazing how much energy some of you manage to channel towars hate for one singular thing. I dread asking how you feel about Apple, M$, pop music or anything else mainstream, really. Like food. Or water.

You say this and yet....I don't see one single post that's a "hater" post.  I see a few critics and mostly people just offering both positivie and negative feedback on the new expansion and it's "flavor."  Some like it, some don't.  Where are these "haters" you speak of?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by nsignific
    Amazing how much energy some of you manage to channel towars hate for one singular thing. I dread asking how you feel about Apple, M$, pop music or anything else mainstream, really. Like food. Or water.

You say this and yet....I don't see one single post that's a "hater" post.  I see a few critics and mostly people just offering both positivie and negative feedback on the new expansion and it's "flavor."  Some like it, some don't.  Where are these "haters" you speak of?

Since you say you can't see a single such post, then what is your analysis of following post made by the poster Ovum: "Nothing to see here, move along."

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    This will be the first WoW Expansion i won't buy.  The game is just too outdated now.  There are newer games, such as Swtor, TSW, GW2, etc.  It reminds me when WoW first came out, and people were still hanging on to EQ1.
  • KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Clicks619
    Originally posted by Karazul

You would have to be playing like only 15 minutes a day to be experiencing this. Don't get me wrong I love playing GW2 but be careful how you use "every time".

Playing almost 2 hours a day... I have a job and a wife to attend...

But I think the world of Tyria is much more dynamic than any other MMO world out there, including WoW. Its not perfect though, but I like the path Arenanet is taking and wont think twice about buying the next GW2 expansion.

I am not a WoW hater... I played it for a very long time. Didnt like the changes in the game and moved on. Now its hard to come back... But I still think its a good game and hope you all have a great time playing it.

• Belly1974Belly1974 Member Posts: 20

The first WoW expansion I haven't bought.

BUT for me it could be one of a few reasons... I'm 38 now, starting to get on a bit, maybe it just doesn't appeal to peeps my age anymore; not sure...

Maybe WoW being out for so long I just got bored of it.

Maybe it was because I felt very let down by Cata and didn't want to get burned again if you get me?

Maybe it's because I'm starting to enjoy GW2 a little more (I admit I had a few problems with that at first too but it is growing on me)...

It could also be the Panda's. Yes I know they have been in the WoW universe for years blah blah blah, but they look bloody stupid... Just saying.

And what is it with Blizz and Monks? Jebus... Think of something else (I have no idea what else though so meh).