Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions...

ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

So looking to pick this up within the next day or two, and I figured I'd ask a few questions beforehand. 

1) How fast is the leveling? I've seen many have alreayd hit the cap, but I expect I'll only be playing 1-4 hours a day a couple days a week.

2) Are there ways to level outside of quests/combat (crafting exp, exploration exp, etc)?

3) How does the crafting system work and how does what you can craft stack up against quest/dungeon gear?

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

So looking to pick this up within the next day or two, and I figured I'd ask a few questions beforehand. 

1) How fast is the leveling? I've seen many have alreayd hit the cap, but I expect I'll only be playing 1-4 hours a day a couple days a week.

2) Are there ways to level outside of quests/combat (crafting exp, exploration exp, etc)?

3) How does the crafting system work and how does what you can craft stack up against quest/dungeon gear?

1. Depends on how you go at it. First char I got to 80 in about 70 hours played and a bunch of it I wasn't actually doing anything.

2. Friend got from level 50 to 80 from crafting alone. And exploration gives you a lot as well.

3. Crafting starts small, you basically make the essentials, you make upgrade components to put into it, and you craft the pieces of the equipment (2 parts) to make that specific piece. You take that and put it into the discovery and if you have not made that before, you get a new piece of gear and a lot of experience. After you can make that piece as many times as you want.

Crafted gear is equivalent to top end dungeon gear and you can put your own stats that you want into the gear rather than getting stuck with certain stats.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by eggy08

1. Depends on how you go at it. First char I got to 80 in about 70 hours played and a bunch of it I wasn't actually doing anything.

2. Friend got from level 50 to 80 from crafting alone. And exploration gives you a lot as well.

3. Crafting starts small, you basically make the essentials, you make upgrade components to put into it, and you craft the pieces of the equipment (2 parts) to make that specific piece. You take that and put it into the discovery and if you have not made that before, you get a new piece of gear and a lot of experience. After you can make that piece as many times as you want.

Crafted gear is equivalent to top end dungeon gear and you can put your own stats that you want into the gear rather than getting stuck with certain stats.

That's what I like to hear! :D 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

a gamespy reviewer commented it took him around 116 hours to level from 1 to 80

lol i was in wrong forum -- editted out irrelevant parts

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

1)It's the fastest leveling I have seen in an mmo to date. If you only play eight hours a week, it will last you quite awhile.

2)Both ways you mentioned as well as ressing ppl and npcs.

3)I found that you had to grind at certain points at crafting. They require rare mats, 9 per near the end of each tier. You don't get enough playing normally. So you would have to grind mobs. The gear is good, however it was easier for me just to buy all my gear at 80. This might have changed since I unistalled because prices may have risen as more people reached level 80.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Nadia
    1. a gamespy reviewer commented it took him around 116 hours to level from 1 to 85 in July 2012I assume its faster now but i didnt read the 5.0.4 patch notes 2. you can gain meaningful experience by picking flowers (herbalism) or mining nodeseach character can only have 2 professions tho -- mining and herbalism each count as 1http://www.wowwiki.com/Professionfishing / cooking / first aid / archaelogy is not part of this restriction 3. WOW tradeskilling has some of the easiest tradeskilling ive seen in mmos,how useful the gear is under level cap is debateable -- for leveling, dungeon / quest rewards is often better

I'm not sure if you're just fooling around, but do you know in which forum you posted this?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Alot

I'm not sure if you're just fooling around, but do you know in which forum you posted this?

yes i screwed up and editted my post

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Atlan99

1)It's the fastest leveling I have seen in an mmo to date. If you only play eight hours a week, it will last you quite awhile.

3)I found that you had to grind at certain points at crafting. They require rare mats, 9 per near the end of each tier. You don't get enough playing normally. So you would have to grind mobs. The gear is good, however it was easier for me just to buy all my gear at 80. This might have changed since I unistalled because prices may have risen as more people reached level 80.

Fastest leveling, aye? That's sort of depressing, though with only ~10 or so hours a week to put into it, it still may take me some time. 

I don't mind a bit of grinding for mats, so long as the gear is on par with non-crafted items.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you uninstall? Did you just hit 80 and become bored or...?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Fastest leveling, aye? That's sort of depressing, though with only ~10 or so hours a week to put into it, it still may take me some time. 

I don't mind a bit of grinding for mats, so long as the gear is on par with non-crafted items.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you uninstall? Did you just hit 80 and become bored or...?

I'm closing in on 100 hours and am level 66.  Will check my toon when I got him in four hours and update this post.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I've been playing for a few weeks, so here's my impressions:

1.  I'm up in the air about leveling speed right now.  I play for a few hours every couple of days, on average.  I've leveled 4 characters to around 12, before finally settling on a class I enjoy, and he's currently 14.  It's taken me about 8 hours to get to level 14.  The problem I have with leveling speed is it feels like I'm spending a lot of time just trying to find new areas to level in.  Otherwise, I'm stuck grinding mobs.

2.  Nearly everything you do gets you xp, so it's worth grabbing any resource nodes you come across, even if you just resell them on the AH (which you can do from anywhere, so running out of bag space is rare).  The problem is that you almost have to do everything, in order to not get too far behind in your level.  More often than not, I've been 2 or 3 levels below the mobs I'm fighting, which makes combat go by a bit slower than I'd like, especially for an "action" MMO.

3.  Crafting is great if you enjoy minutiae.  To make an axe, you have to craft a wood plank out of wood logs.  Then you craft the haft out of the wood planks.  Then you craft bronze ingots out of ore, and then the blade out of some ingots.  Finally you combine the haft and the blade to make the axe.  75 of those later and you move up to the next tier.  I personally find it to be pretty bland for the same reason most MMO crafting is:  you are essentially making dozens of the same items just to move up to other stuff.  Your mileage may vary.

You make me like charity

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    1 ignore that, mostly power levellers getting cooking ingredients and cash passed to them by guild mates.
    2 you can level through - doing dynamic events, exploring, crafting, pvp in world vs world, dungeons or any mixture. You are not forced to do anything to level.
    3 yeah pvp, crafted, outdoor pve and dungeon gear is of the same quality. You can also craft legendary gear at the mystic forge. The crafting I suggest you look up some of the guides on the internet, many people try and play it like a wow style recipe system and end up skint. It's much more efficient to level crafting by using the discovery tab.
  • Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

i have not found a use for levels. it's not like you will be 1 hit killing anything in starter zones since you scale back lvls. 

so in the beginner zones (say: queensdale, where humans start their first mission) you will be downgraded to a lvl 5 (even if you are lvl 80)

and no you are not really a lvl 5, you are a powerfull lvl 5. with more efficiency in combat. but you will not be 1shot killing anything, it will still require a minimum effort.

also pvp everyone is on par

structured pvp everyone has same gear and same stats and auto level up to 80. the only difference is the better you are the more bad ass you can look. (fancy clothes and cool looking weapons)

WvWvW, everyonis upgraded to 80 and your gear upgrades acordingly, but your skills and traits remain for your PvE lvl. 

so lvling up just does 2 things

1. have access to more places and epic fights

2. have access to cool looking gear. 

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Level 48 Guardian --  68 hours, 48 minutes.

Level 44 Ranger -- 57 hours, 35 minutes.

Level 40 Elementalist --  48 hours, 4 minutes.

I don't rush things.   I craft.  I look for hidden encounters, hidden chests, hidden events...     I could have shaved a good 10% of my time off each one of those characters and still been at the respective levels.

I also do this thing that the trolls pretend doesn't happen -- socialize.   You know, meet people.  Talk to them.   Don't wait, like everyone else, to make the first move.    I also help people do the personal stories of people I've never met before.     Apparently there is, for those poor, sad, friendless individuals, a decided lack of people willing and able to carry the relationship, including breaking the ice, load for them...  

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I sort of felt it was a waste of time to grind mats to get gear that I would outlevel so quickly. If you are taking your time I could see taking crafting and getting the best gear all the time.

If you play as casually as you say you will probably play for a couple months before you hit 80.

I uninstalled for a few reasons.

I felt sPvP was in an awful state and not worth playing.

There is no PvE end game really besides grinding dungeons for cosmetic gear and grinding mats for legendary weapons.

WvW was fun and could have been decent end game. However the que times were fairly bad on my server especially at peak times. Since we were on the 2nd or 3rd best server it was only going to get worse due to server transfers.

I also thought that Arenanet would not do anything to fix the above  anytime soon.

It's a good game and worth the money I paid for it. It just didn't have enough to hold me long term.

The last thing I would add is that the game might cost you more than you expect. Bag space is a pain in the ass and bank space is fairly limited. Until I bought bag space it felt like I was playing around with my inventory all the time.