Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Torchlight 2: Beating Blizzard at its Own Game

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

the constant diablo 3 nerf patches are always a sore spot for players

not wanting to be outdone, runic games put out a TL2 patch that literally erased bank items

definitely put blizzard in their place with that one!

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    your all biased jack asses i own all the arpg game they are not sub based so guess what some of us will play them all and enjoy all them just saying its possible to enjoy more than one game just saying quit bein over critical and quit bashing games that really dont deserve it.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Yeah TL2 is a far better game for 1/3 of the price and no BS online all the time to play.
  • HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167
    I enjoyed the article.  However, I think a lot of the good about Torchlight boils down to its sginifcanlty lower price point.  The expectations are a lot lower and it makes you wonder how a $20 can be bth compared to and considered better than a $60.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    I'm starting to hate the word "bias".  People like to say somebody is "biased" even when they are telling the truth about something and making totally fair comparisons.  He wouldn't have had to put that word in his review and cover his bases if he wasn't expecting blizzard fanboi's to cry out about his "bias" due to his preference for TL2 over Diablo 3 because they are hopelessly devoted to Blizzard as a company due to the great things they once did with Diablo 2 and vanilla WoW.  There are obviously biased opinions, and then there are straight up truth talking.  It's not bias if the truth hurts Diablo 3 players feelings.  Somebody has to say it like it is.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Pouf

Wow really? I can't disagree more. TL2 is a great game and worth the price a lot but better than D3..no...

You are stuck to a build,  there will be optimal build soon.. it's 100% solo i will never go online since it's open bnet. so It will be full of hackers withing 2 weeks.

Gear is way too easy to get, everything in this game is easy. You level fast.

They did a lot of great things, phase events are full as hell , but it doesnt require any kiting or challenge at all. It will never be better than d3

According to a vid I saw, if you increase the difficulty setting, atleast for the caster/mage class, you will need to kite constantly. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by Pouf

Wow really? I can't disagree more. TL2 is a great game and worth the price a lot but better than D3..no...

You are stuck to a build,  there will be optimal build soon.. it's 100% solo i will never go online since it's open bnet. so It will be full of hackers withing 2 weeks.

Gear is way too easy to get, everything in this game is easy. You level fast.

They did a lot of great things, phase events are full as hell , but it doesnt require any kiting or challenge at all. It will never be better than d3

According to a vid I saw, if you increase the difficulty setting, atleast for the caster/mage class, you will need to kite constantly. 

Yeah.. very much so. Even in normal you can get instant gimped as a squishy caster or ranged. Heck, even my berserker got close. Its not as easy as people like to gloat, people have a habit of claiming stuff while A.) Playing on an easy setting B.) Dieing a lot and playing it off and pretending it didn't happen.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

As a reminder I'll say that Torchlight is continuation of Fate series ARPG(pets, fishing, fame) rather than Diablo 2.

As for the topic, I'd say it's nigh impossible to actually compare those two games. Why?

Torchlight is single player game from design. Coop is something extra, they don't care about hackers, botters, class balance, loot droprates and such. As such, this game can be and is more fun but also more shallow. A game for more casual player, with community made mods.

Diablo 3 is multiplayer lobby game from design. Single player is something extra, itemization and drop rates are global, making good drops very rare, especially if you use AH. Blizzard pays attention to hacks, bots, exploits, class and skill balance which can be both positive and negative(skill/content changes aka nerfs). While casual can easily play D3 I think the actual depth of build/farming/itemization is actually for more hardcore people.

Anyways with 2 expansions and moeny behind it the longevity of Diablo 3 with it's huge community will make it superior game in time.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Payed for D3, played through once, started to play through on the next difficulty, didn't get out of the first act on the second play through.  It felt nothing like D1 or D2 and didn't have the same "Heart and Soul" of those 2.  Can't bring myself to log into it again.  Bought 4 copies of TL2 for what 1 copy of D3 cost...gave 3 to my friends/family to play.  I like that I can play solo (offline), play LAN with my son on our network OR play online with friends in other places WITH the same characters I use in my solo games.  TL2 definantly has the feel of D1 and D2, which I played over and over many times.  So for me, D3 was a waste of time and TL2 was the best value in a game that i've made in a LONG LONG time and to crazynanny you don't have to play TL2 with strangers online, you can set your games to friends only.  Thats what we do and none of us play with anyone else (don't need to).  Also you can have 6 people in your groups in TL2 so don't tell me Runic didn't think about group play, thats just....CRAZY...nanny...

...edited to add comments to crazynanny

• rickastillorickastillo Member Posts: 12
    Am i allowed To like 'em both? But yeah if I have to choose wich one I did have more fun, I say tl2.. plus, I can play it offline and lan game like the good old days :) waiting for mods, like textures upgrades (like in tl1) new classes, armors, pets, mobs, maps etc :)
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Everytime i open/reload this topic  this pops in to my face,if i jump to page 7 and back to page 1 it pops again.

Authentication Required:

A username and password are being requested by http://www.heresy-online.net. The site says: "Under Maintenance"

Username:

Password:

Let's internet

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Everytime i open/reload this topic  this pops in to my face,if i jump to page 7 and back to page 1 it pops again.

Authentication Required:

A username and password are being requested by http://www.heresy-online.net. The site says: "Under Maintenance"

Username:

Password:

Yes, it's really annoying.  Someone has a sig that is trying to load a graphic.  Look at the website that asks for authentication and then look at the page source.

Okiedokes,thanks muchos,was wondering what is that.

To topic,i tried D3 and I couldnt get that Diablo feeling at all ,it just was not there,can Torchlight 2 do it? no idea since i havent tried but i tried TL1 long time ago and it couldnt deliver but if TL2 can:Demon of action RPG´s hear  me! ForumPvP invites you to my home,infinite time.

I know theres Demo(n) available but just right now i dont have time to check it out.

Let's internet

• ivaylo1981ivaylo1981 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Agree , Great article!
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Torchlight 2 is what a ARPG is supposed to be. 

It has a great loot system, build diversity with skill trees & stat distribution, Fully randomized over world & dungeon maps. All things that are at the very core of all ARPG except Diablo 3...

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

After playing TL2 in offline mode, I feel that the AH and RMAH had a huge and negative impact on D3 (for me). The loot drops (and hence, a lot of the fun of an ARPG) are so much better than in D3. The game play is more colorful and engaging (to me). And the randomization is much more varied in TL2. 

I don't even have to go into the issues of server stability, exploits, any of that. I can still play with my friends.   TL2 has soul. It has the soul of the original Diablo developers and it shows in many ways.

However, the story is not one of those ways. Fortunately, that is the least important aspect of an ARPG, for me.

• dystra99dystra99 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Nitre

noone makes better cutszenes that blizzard.

Wow, way to judge a game's merits.

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

People get a grip Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 both  are great hack'n'slashes.

D3 design is for addictive competetive play unfortunately it's also pay to win and failed a bit at addictive part. It's not a secret that big part of d3 is it's poor loot system that makes you grind forever and never find better stuff than on rmah.

Torchlight 2 is build on different principle it's to deliver just fun of hacking thru monsters and beating the bosses which can be rly hard with a group on elitte. Yet it's not about braging whos got better what just for the fun of doing stuff.

Both games are desing like coop experiance it's allways better with friends than with strangers and thoes who are looking for massive hubs where they can show of new polished armour picked wrong genre to start with.

So... in diablo 3 you won't have hackers in your public games but at hefty price. No user generated content, no new classes or skilss, no offline and lan games. If i'm playing it's solo or with people I know. Booting cheater out of the game isn't a problem and I haven't seen one yet.

For one major factor in torchlight 2 game that beats blizzards creation is working and rewarding loot / quest system.

As for skill trees in both games it depends on difficulty both in d3 and torchlight on first two levels you can be suicidal rambo with random skill selection and win. But on max difficulty level for your class there will be 1 or 2 builds that allow you to prevail and win.

Talking about competitive maniacs torchlight isn't for you d3 is p2w so go to WoW where you can fill this hole in your life with some eRespect where some 14 yo kid will envy your max tier armor set or arena ranking.

Overall Torchlight 2 may be rough around the edges if you compare the first playthrou Diablo 3 obviously wins but difficulty of d3 is questionable where in T2 you can pick it from the start. You can't aviod the fact that D3 was developed 2-3 years longer with double sized development team and unimaginable budget. You also can't avoid the fact that Torchlight 2 delivers everywhere where giant blizzard refused or failed to.

I think for everyone who stoped playing D3 and/or was a bit dissapointed by it Torchlight 2 is the must have and a fun one.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Its not hard to make a better arpg than D3 because D3 is the worst there is and ever will be.

And I was the biggest diablo fan.

The devs for D3 should get fired and never work in the gaming industry ever again

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    TL2 is a lot of fun & that is paramount to me.
  • MupfMupf Member Posts: 17

To me, TL2 mastered one of the great arts in good games: make it fun with as little restriction as possible.

They succeeded in that, and to me this is the most important part. I am not really into the graphics, although I get accustomed to them, I have my concerns about open tl-net. But I can't see those things affecting me in the negative because I am too busy having fun!

D3 was for me the first game where I kept my feet still and said "Wait one week before buying it" (this thought is thanks to swtor). So I waited one week and never bought it due to what I read about it. So no comparison possible.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Authentication Required:

Username:

Password:

Yes, it's really annoying.  Someone has a sig that is trying to load a graphic.  Look at the website that asks for authentication and then look at the page source.

Just noticed this.

• BrodieBroosBrodieBroos Member Posts: 32
    Blizzard is a corporate monster now. They stopped caring about their games a long time ago. In my opinion, D3 was never really released, because that abortion they threw together calling D3 is not really D3. Never really got into TL though. Just can't get past the cartoon graphics. Not that they are bad, just don't prefer them.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by BrodieBroos
    Blizzard is a corporate monster now. They stopped caring about their games a long time ago. In my opinion, D3 was never really released, because that abortion they threw together calling D3 is not really D3. Never really got into TL though. Just can't get past the cartoon graphics. Not that they are bad, just don't prefer them.

I felt that way at first, but I found they start to grow and you and I like them a lot now. It probably took about 10 levels for me to readjust after playing D3. Not only that, but the randomization is great. My highest character is level 20, and my others are between 8-15. Each play so far has been very different. That is a major difference that makes me like TL2 a lot.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I agree with OP overall, except that I think that TL2 is highly replayable and can be enjoyed for hundreds of hours, much like D1 and D2. That to me is the huge difference between TL2 and D3.

What I love the most is the increased randomization of loot, areas, mobs you encounter, plus there is a lot of creativity in the game. The vault in the desert area was so cool! The djinni quests are really neat too. I love the phasebeast challenges.

D3 really did not have that much randomization of either the maps or the loot and that is why I find it dull. Sure, you can get a different event from time to time in any given area, but that is the extent of it.

TL2 is also a bigger gameworld, with lots more exploration. In D3, Act 1 is by far the biggest act, Act 2 is quite a bit smaller, and Act 3 and 4 are really small. I felt a little rattled about how little time it took to complete Normal in D3. Also, the difficulty between the various D3 acts is not smooth, whereas in TL2 it is seamless from area to area.

D3 does not have challenge style dungeons in it, and very little in the way of creative dungeon areas, whereas both TL1 and TL2 had that (TL2 has more). Classes in TL2 are also more varied, more customizable, look cooler imo, and there are many ways to play a viable build. D3 offers apparent choice, but seems to demand certain specs for getting successfully through to the end of Inferno.

Sure, TL2 might not be an AAA production, but I would rather play something like this than an AAA production that is not as fun.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.