Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Cutscenes, Story, and Questing, Oh My!

2»

Comments

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I haven't played a lot of WoW recently, but I do remember the fun I had with my DK. The story was fun as it unfolded throughout the  zones in the DK starting area. I do remember the only other place in WoW I enjoyed like that was also the Worgen starting area. The story unfolded in a nice way there. At times it even seemed like the towns had some life (maybe not as much as the DK area).

Since then I have only had one other MMO make me feel all warm and gitty inside like a little boy at Christmas day and that game is GW2. At times I even stopped killing things to hang out in the towns and cities to listen the the random VOICE ACTED npc chit-chat. Each and every zone felt alive. The npcs even changed their chit-chat in certain places based on your current status in your personal story or events finished in that zone. Every area lets you know of the devastation and challange based on the events going on. I don't need to find a (!) because even npcs will come find me and voice act a cry for help.  The story telling unfolds everywhere and sometimes randomly as you ADVENTURE (I know some forget what that word means) in the world around you.

For this gamer the story is important, BUT even more so it is greatly important how that story is told and relayed to me as I progress in the world.

Great post Pokket!

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

i hate cut scenes ,VA , I dont care for story in an mmorpg

MMORPG should to be about players interactions, as was in old good mmo's

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I loved the cut scense in SWTOR. They helped the story and made the game more immersive. Then again, I wasn't in a hurry to level up. Stop and smell the roses along the way. Spacebar was and is my enemy except for the daily quests.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Back-pedaling

Not back-peddle

Pedal =/= Peddle

In our future articles we'll explore the use of "there" in place of "their" in paid for submissions to aspiring professional websites by self anointed "journalists."

"tee-hee"
  • Xeno2012Xeno2012 Member UncommonPosts: 10

The Secret World's cutscenes are not part of the action, but storytell to a greater degree than any other MMO I have played over many years.

For those that are willing to actually take the time to read and view in their games, I highly recommend it.

Those that wish to "rush to the purples" and then wait to be fed new instances should probably avoid it.

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    TSW IS a a pretty important game in the mmo world. I dont play it but if my job was in that world i would make sure i did.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Fortenbas
    I enjoyed the cutscenes in TSW the most of any game so far.

The cutscenes were gamebreakers for me in TSW...Your character just sits there like he's stupid and can't say a word...How is that good?....IT adds nothing to the game and nothing to my immersion....CUtscenes are fine if your character makes decisions based on what is said (like in Dragon Age), but these cutscenes in MMOs where you do absolutely nothing is a waste of time......They actually ruin my immersion as I feel like Im watching a bad movie instead of interacting and playing a game.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Pokket

On that note (my post above), that's why you all should leave comments!

Ok, here's one: I'm the exact opposite on this matter :)

I usually read all the quest texts (and then follow its hints and suggestions, not the minimap), and I didn't spacebar'd SW:ToR convos - not even with the second alt.

It's nice to see, a lot of comments mentioned TSW, but I'm a bit surprised that nobody said AoC so far... Funcom made maybe the best npc's convo method there - or at least for me.

It was a recurring line back in the day, when we arrived a settlement or a camp, and my buddies gave in the quests quickly: "Ok, let's take 15, have a bio and a smoke while P does his precious conversations with all the npc's here" :D

(my first time against Atzel with my shammy, I bumped into an npc in the fortress and stopped for a quick chat... the yelling and cursing in voice was epic :) ok, I admit, maybe that was unprofessional move)

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Fortenbas
    I enjoyed the cutscenes in TSW the most of any game so far.

The cutscenes were gamebreakers for me in TSW...Your character just sits there like he's stupid and can't say a word...How is that good?....IT adds nothing to the game and nothing to my immersion....CUtscenes are fine if your character makes decisions based on what is said (like in Dragon Age), but these cutscenes in MMOs where you do absolutely nothing is a waste of time......They actually ruin my immersion as I feel like Im watching a bad movie instead of interacting and playing a game.

I am TSW fan boy,impressed with game,

True funcom make great work with cut scenes but as I am told many times  in past;VA,cutt scennes ,are waste of time & resources for an mmo.MMO need more social contents not personal solo stuff.

I am happy with skipp option.

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130
    As a journalist, you should learn to check that grammar, syntax, and basic sentence structure. I know if MMORPG paid me to comment on video games, my posts and retorts to comments would be shit hot. Just sayin......
  • shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Cutscenes and storylines have no place in MMORPG's, the players should make their own story. Hate cutscenes, love the skip button.