Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

MoP is it bringing back lots of people ?

roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member

I've been playing WoW for the last month as a returning player . Its useful to me because when I work away from home ( which amounts to a month or two a year )  it is a game that plays reasonably well on my laptop ( on low settings  ) . The BG aspect of WoW is still something I enjoy .

I did log in last night when MoP went live and saw a slight increase in populations there were 18 high servers ( some of which were locked ) this is slighly up on the average 10-15 high servers . There were around 40 medium load servers ( again slighly up ) .

Logging in this lunchtime the numbers have dropped slightly but thats to be understood .Also we have factor in a lot of children probably wont play till tonight .

The only comparison I have to make is to previous WoW expansions . I did have a similar conversation on this topic in another forum when cataclysm was released .

Back then on day one . I saw 35 + full servers . That was from the moment of release and lasted all day long with no drop off . I do recall hearing Blizzard had increased the numbers of people a server could take but I think this happened prior to Cataclysm and not after . If thats correct it wouldn't explain the drop in full servers upon the release of MoP .

If may be too early to draw many conclusions from this as thing may pick up but to me it looks like initial download sales ( in the EU ) at least are lower than the previous expansion on day one .

How is it looking in other areas like North America ?

Edit ***** please be aware I m refering to english speaking servers .

«134

Comments

  • ZezdaZezda Posts: 685Member Uncommon

    Anecdotal evidence and all that.. 

     

    I'm living with 3 other people who use to play WoW until Cataclysm, none of them will be returning this expansion. The 4th person who never played MMO's before and just at some deep level had no love or time for them is playing GW2. Not sure how much time he has spent on it but he is about level 55 and from what he's saying he is quite enjoying it so far. I think the reason he likes it is that he can wander around and do his thing and not need to worry about having a purpose. He's lived with people who played WoW since it launched and he says it just never appealed to him because of all the Guild Drama and raiding and stuff. He did quite enjoy being able to play with myself and the other guys here without there being any hassle and I think that sort of interaction is a pretty big deal for him.

    There's a few guys in my work who use to play as well. Out of the 5 that I still speak with only one of them bought MoP. Having said that I'm pretty sure none of the others play MMO's at all now.

    So personal anecdotal evidence aside.. I get the impression that on forums such as this the amount of interest/articles and such seems to be a lot lower than I seem to recall previous expansions. I don't doubt it's going to sell a lot but I don't think it's going to be close to Cataclysm or WotLK.

  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Linden, NJPosts: 330Member

    So many people playing monk's and panda's right now its crazy....if you roll an alt beware to fight to the death for quest items its a blood bath...people will kill steal to get it done lol. it has slightly dropped cause its 8 am but still quite a bit.

    Edit: You cant really kill steal in WoW but they can hit the mob before you with roll's and speed boosts and your screwed just to clarify.

  • ShadoedShadoed BirminghamPosts: 1,499Member Uncommon

    Honestly not sure at the moment. Stormwind was packed last night on the countdown to the launch (webcast was great BTW) and there was talk of some servers going down under the strain a few minutes after the switch was flicked, but i have no idea how many people returning that represents in any way.

    Personally i have several guild members who have returned after several months break, with a lot of them returning a few weeks ago before launch. I have purchased two copies for both of my accounts, my brother and father have their copies as well, so looking healthy from my side, but only time will tell i guess.

    It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

  • MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower beverly hills, CAPosts: 80Member
    all my old friend have returned as well. all 100 :p that includes my old guilds. Everyone is back once again the circle is complete.
  • UrkoUrko TruroPosts: 88Member

    At the end of the day its still the long in the tooth affair at the core is WoW.

    First 2 years was the best WoW, i went back to roll a goblin in Cataclysm and it was fun till max level and after a couple of months i began to see it was the same old stuff at the end of the day.

    Pandas will be the same novelty for a while i guess, but not for me.

     

    Guild Wars 2 is where the gaming fun is at.

  • Entris38Entris38 Somewhere, OHPosts: 323Member Uncommon
    Seems areas were alot busier in the few weeks leading up to expansion. I play Horde/Runtetotem and Alliance/Stormreaver, both seemed to have higher server populations. I logged in before work this morning at about 4-5 EST and the servers were packed. I think the expansion brought alot back, at least until they chew up the new content.
  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower
    all my old friend have returned as well. all 100 :p that includes my old guilds. Everyone is back once again the circle is complete.

    By the law of averages I think 100 people you know wouldn't return at once . Its not impossible but its highly unlikly statistically speaking so I think your being ecconomical with the truth .

    Also making it a round 100 makes it sound like a number you picked out of thin air to make a point .

  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by Zezda

    Anecdotal evidence and all that.. 

     

    I'm living with 3 other people who use to play WoW until Cataclysm, none of them will be returning this expansion. The 4th person who never played MMO's before and just at some deep level had no love or time for them is playing GW2. Not sure how much time he has spent on it but he is about level 55 and from what he's saying he is quite enjoying it so far. I think the reason he likes it is that he can wander around and do his thing and not need to worry about having a purpose. He's lived with people who played WoW since it launched and he says it just never appealed to him because of all the Guild Drama and raiding and stuff. He did quite enjoy being able to play with myself and the other guys here without there being any hassle and I think that sort of interaction is a pretty big deal for him.

    There's a few guys in my work who use to play as well. Out of the 5 that I still speak with only one of them bought MoP. Having said that I'm pretty sure none of the others play MMO's at all now.

    So personal anecdotal evidence aside.. I get the impression that on forums such as this the amount of interest/articles and such seems to be a lot lower than I seem to recall previous expansions. I don't doubt it's going to sell a lot but I don't think it's going to be close to Cataclysm or WotLK.

    Thats very much the impression I'm getting in the EU . Theres a slight increase but its nothing like previous xpacs .

  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1

    So many people playing monk's and panda's right now its crazy....if you roll an alt beware to fight to the death for quest items its a blood bath...people will kill steal to get it done lol. it has slightly dropped cause its 8 am but still quite a bit.

    Edit: You cant really kill steal in WoW but they can hit the mob before you with roll's and speed boosts and your screwed just to clarify.

    There certainly are a lot of pandas about . I've been flying over the barrens most of the morning ganking them . Great fun .

  • MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower beverly hills, CAPosts: 80Member
    are you jealous? they are on my friend list and on my ventrilo. the only reason im even on the forum because im waiting on amazon to ship me my 4 collector's edition boxes today. they are shipping them out to me today.
  • elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon
    Here's my experience on this.  BC, WotLK, Cata come out, all my friends who play WoW kept playing and bought those expacks.  Some 2 years later, now, Half of them have moved on to GW2, FFXIV, consoles, the other half haven't stopped playing and maybe  1 or 2 of them ONLY play WoW while the other 2 play WoW but dabble in other games and GW2.  So, it's not as strong as it once was but it's not dead either.  Me, I'll probably hop back in at some point in the next few months just to see if I can at least enjoy it for a month or 2.  Right now, I'm happy with GW2 and not having to worry about paying to play.
    image
  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower
    are you jealous? they are on my friend list and on my ventrilo. the only reason im even on the forum because im waiting on amazon to ship me my 4 collector's edition boxes today. they are shipping them out to me today.

    Why would I be jealous ?  It just sounds unlikly is all i m saying . Had you said any number of friends other than a round number especially a  hundred it would have been more believeable . 

    Why have you brought 4 collectors edition boxes ? 

  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member

    80% of my friends are back by day 1. more ppl will come. they already  (as i am) got bored with gw2. i m in a guild (gw2) with more than 140 ppl at underwold server and most of them already quit to play wow.

    they may return to gw2 someday, but not because its better than other games, but because its free of sub. untill then they will play wow once again.

    anyway, the point is that evey hour that passes, more and more return to wow. check the eu servers. 47 locked/full/high and its still 14.00 on a working day.

    gg blizz once again :)

  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by elocke
    Here's my experience on this.  BC, WotLK, Cata come out, all my friends who play WoW kept playing and bought those expacks.  Some 2 years later, now, Half of them have moved on to GW2, FFXIV, consoles, the other half haven't stopped playing and maybe  1 or 2 of them ONLY play WoW while the other 2 play WoW but dabble in other games and GW2.  So, it's not as strong as it once was but it's not dead either.  Me, I'll probably hop back in at some point in the next few months just to see if I can at least enjoy it for a month or 2.  Right now, I'm happy with GW2 and not having to worry about paying to play.

    My guess is that its around a quarter to a third less players than I saw around the time of the Cataclysm expansion . Certainly not dead but thus far not bringing back the kind of player numbers I would think Blizzard hoped would return .

  • expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon

    I logged on last night about an hour before xpac went live, bare in mind I have not played for about 9 months, I saw more or less all my old guild mates online and many others who have joined since I stopped playing.. but this is just one observation of one guild on one server... but from my perspective WoW is as popular as ever. 

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 18,045Member Uncommon

    Some people will be back, but another reason that any MMO will feel more populated after an expansion hits is because people who still played Wow but not so much will increase the time they play for a while making the servers feel more populated, and almost all players will hit the new zone at the same time.

    So actually figuring out how many who gets back in the game is really hard until you get official numbers for it. And some of the people who got in are bungee players, they will be gone a few weeks from now.

    But I am sure some old players will be back and stay back for a longer time. 

  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    Originally posted by expresso

    I logged on last night about an hour before xpac went live, bare in mind I have not played for about 9 months, I saw more or less all my old guild mates online and many others who have joined since I stopped playing.. but this is just one observation of one guild on one server... but from my perspective WoW is as popular as ever. 

    why not? the game remains popular anyway and you may count all those who already get rid the failed swtor/tera/tsw and in a short time gw2.

  • kitaradkitarad RomePosts: 1,745Member Uncommon

    Watch status here http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/status

     

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status

     

    For me if a game keeps me till max level it is well worth the price of the box. I think people will flock back it is like that bad habit you can never kick in the end.

    image

  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by papardelios
    Originally posted by expresso

    I logged on last night about an hour before xpac went live, bare in mind I have not played for about 9 months, I saw more or less all my old guild mates online and many others who have joined since I stopped playing.. but this is just one observation of one guild on one server... but from my perspective WoW is as popular as ever. 

    why not? the game remains popular anyway and you may count all those who already get rid the failed swtor/tera/tsw and in a short time gw2.

    I'm not sure GW2 will fall in the same way as other games when you look at the facts . 1.7 million boxed sales thus far since launch and that doesn't count download sales which had to be put on hiatus because of demand . There will be some drop off as there is with any game but its far too soon to right off such a game . It sounds like more that your hoping it will fail than taking a balanced and mature view at the subject .

    WoW still very popular but its not as popular as ever it lost a quarter of its subscriptions in the last 2 or so years . Had 3 million players returned I suspect we would have seen far more full servers . Its all guess work at the moment but I would think they may have had around 1/2 million returning players but I supect the numbers prior to that had probably fallen to 8 to 8.5 million .

  • Ghost12Ghost12 Boston, MAPosts: 684Member
    Originally posted by roo67
    Originally posted by papardelios
    Originally posted by expresso

    I logged on last night about an hour before xpac went live, bare in mind I have not played for about 9 months, I saw more or less all my old guild mates online and many others who have joined since I stopped playing.. but this is just one observation of one guild on one server... but from my perspective WoW is as popular as ever. 

    why not? the game remains popular anyway and you may count all those who already get rid the failed swtor/tera/tsw and in a short time gw2.

    I'm not sure GW2 will fall in the same way as other games when you look at the facts . 1.7 million boxed sales thus far since launch and that doesn't count download sales which had to be put on hiatus because of demand . There will be some drop off as there is with any game but its far too soon to right off such a game . It sounds like more that your hoping it will fail than taking a balanced and mature view at the subject .

    WoW still very popular but its not as popular as ever it lost a quarter of its subscriptions in the last 2 or so years . Had 3 million players returned I suspect we would have seen far more full servers . Its all guess work at the moment but I would think they may have had around 1/2 million returning players but I supect the numbers prior to that had probably fallen to 8 to 8.5 million .

     

    Actually SWTOR sold more copies than GW2 did.

     

    SWTOR had everything, The Best IP, a reputable (formerly) Company, and the money of EA and look what happened 6 months later.

    GW2 sold slightly less copies. The only thing GW2 does that surpasses SWTOR is its rabid fanbase.

    GW2 is just as vulnerable as any other Themepark Disneyland game.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon

    This was at about 3am PST this morning. Pandarian Starting Area. It was far from as crowded as I had seen other expansion releases.

     Nothing to write home about! There are some fairly common WoW portions that everyone is probably use to, and then it does seem like they are adding some of the more "kiddy" features that they are slowly  incorporating in every new expansion. 

    All in all it is WoW and it is fun so far.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • macrowowmacrowow Olathe, KSPosts: 26Member
    My server is busier than I've ever seen it last night but I had to log before Midnight. We'll see what it is like tonight. I'm excited!
  • david361107david361107 chattanooga, TNPosts: 279Member
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower
    all my old friend have returned as well. all 100 :p that includes my old guilds. Everyone is back once again the circle is complete.

    I wouldn't worry too much, they'll all be gone in a few weeks and you'll be alone again :)

  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon
    Yes. If there is an expansion, you can bet money that the population will go up in numbers a good deal no matter the game. Its a gamble you would always win unless they maybe completely butchered the expansion to break the game, but even then the first day of expansion would at least have more people then the day before after everyone left.
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower
    all my old friend have returned as well. all 100 :p that includes my old guilds. Everyone is back once again the circle is complete.

    LOL  Yeah well all TEN THOUSAND people I know that used to play aren't returning.  

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.