Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Return of NWN1 player made content with the vengance !

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I am so hyped.

As a huge fan of NWN1 (because of player made content) i have seen this video revealing  "NWN Foundry"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

It nearly brought tears to my eyes !

Its not as complex as NWN1 editor. But in many way I think it will be even more acessible.

It will be right there for all the players to browse , rank. And even on corner of my eye I noticed you will be able to "donate"

So maybe even get payed for exceptionally good mods.

I dont have much love for PW or Cryptic. But this might turn out to be quite great :D

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I don't know. Call me a cynic :) I just fear that they will botch this up somehow.

It is F2P, so they need to make money somehow. With how popular The Foundry sounds like it will be, this could their cash cow. Charge for "special mobs" or "special areas" or something similar.

Will one need to level at all before going into this?

One of the comments on the YouTube page makes a lot of sense to me:

How? can you filter through all the broken ass quests made by kids and what about the masses of npc's that will be standing around w/quests?
    I can just see a city FULL of quest givers standing about.

How many "mines in the crag" (or duplicate questing areas) will we see?

I truly hope this idea works out well. I am just not holding my breath :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I don't know. Call me a cynic :) I just fear that they will botch this up somehow.

It is F2P, so they need to make money somehow. With how popular The Foundry sounds like it will be, this could their cash cow. Charge for "special mobs" or "special areas" or something similar.

How? can you filter through all the broken ass quests made by kids and what about the masses of npc's that will be standing around w/quests?

After having seen what the community has come up with on games like VGA-Planets, Mech-Commander, the Elder Scrolls series, or Freelancer, where I have seen many mods that were superior to what the company itself was publishing, I dare to say that any game that really wants to last LONG, should include a similar feature.

I have more faith on the amateur community than I have in many companies.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Uhh....can it be more obvious? You will be choosing the content through a UI function, it's also shown in the video around the 22nd minute.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Looks promissing.

I actually really liked the NWN1 complexity in building. I don't expect to see a simple programming or scripting language here tho. Perhaps it won't be needed.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

Remember, the game isn't built entirely on player-made content. There's still going to be a developer-created world, the player-made scenarios are optional. And while there will be plenty of amateur creations, there's sure to be plenty that will put even the developer content to shame.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

What I really liked about NWN was not just so much the quest creating but the ability to run your own server. As a result player created RP servers like "Haven" had their own theme and setting and often their own storyline and history. I understand though that this runs opposite to the MMO ideal which open and massive as opposed to closed setting of a player run NWN world/server. 

What I wonder though is will there be private areas that we can build and create in this mmo? Is the potential still there for players to create their own settings?

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I hope in the final version you can name creatures and give them custom stats and loot with the foundry. With a little customization, Neverwinter might be a source of unlimited fun.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

If they implement something like the Steam workshop.... WIN. There will be crappy player made content, but also some masterpieces...

I absolutely love how the Workshop works on steam... for Skyrim for instance, when you find a good / high rated / quality piece of content, you can then follow the author...

The social tools around this will make or break it IMO... I just hope the tools are powerfull enough to make unique looking settings... There is no limit what modders would do given the correct tools.

Originally posted by allegria

If they implement something like the Steam workshop.... WIN. There will be crappy player made content, but also some masterpieces...

I absolutely love how the Workshop works on steam... for Skyrim for instance, when you find a good / high rated / quality piece of content, you can then follow the author...

The social tools around this will make or break it IMO... I just hope the tools are powerfull enough to make unique looking settings... There is no limit what modders would do given the correct tools.

They said in a video interview there will be an option to follow an author and the author will also be able to provide updates to the content he makes, there will also be a rating and review system in place.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    I hope in the final version you can name creatures and give them custom stats and loot with the foundry. With a little customization, Neverwinter might be a source of unlimited fun.

You can't assign loot, that would be so easily exploited. Loot will be given automatically by the system.

However, I do think that naming creatures should be in.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by XAleX360

You can't assign loot, that would be so easily exploited. Loot will be given automatically by the system.

It'd be exploitable only if it's left completely free as in... being allowed to drop +5 swords from chickens.

In the other hand if each creature type has "value" and you can drop custom loot within each creature's "value", it could be awesome. You could name items, add flavour text to them and allow people to "item hunt" their perfect stats within each item's budget. We'll see I guess.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

It'd be exploitable only if it's left completely free as in... being allowed to drop +5 swords from chickens.

In the other hand if each creature type has "value" and you can drop custom loot within each creature's "value", it could be awesome. You could name items, add flavour text to them and allow people to "item hunt" their perfect stats within each item's budget. We'll see I guess.

Souds like a terrible idea.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

I will take a stab at answering this.

They stated that each quest will be reviewed by a 5 member team made up of players. Once the quest met  certain criterias and got a minimum of  1 star out of 5 from each reviewer, it would then be added to the game.

Once players have completed the quest they get to rate it 1 to 5 stars. (Every player that plays the quest. Not the reviewers)

This system will allow the cream to rise to the top :)

Well thought out, fun,  enjoyable quests will have a high rankings while the mediocre ones will have mediocre rankings.

I hope it works.:)

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

From what I have read on the forums about the foundry, this is exactly how it's going to work.