Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting poll on Massively

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

What MMORPG would you like to ressurect? http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/leaderboard-mmo-most-worthy-of-resurrection/#continued

Not surprisingly, SWG is head and shoulders above all other games. Most likely because most people reject it's "replacement" SW:TOR.

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Where were all these people when the game was bleeding subs?
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by grimal

Exactly this.

All of the manufactured rage towards ToR over SWG shutting down is, frankly, laughable. SWG had been on life support for an eternity, in MMO terms, long before ToR was a glint in a dev's eye. Why SOE didn't shut it down years ago is something of a mystery.

If a tenth of those professing their love for SWG had actually been playing the game things would have been quite different. Instead SWG is covered in rose coloured bovine excrement that post-hoc fans seem never to tire of flinging.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

SWG with 2012 graphics and some bugs ironed out would be the best thing since sliced bread. 

too good to be true. 

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    SWG gets my vote but the old SWG

BestSigEver :P

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I think the bulk left around the time of the great dumbing down.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by RefMinor

That is the glaring issue with that poll.  Probably need to differentiate between the two different versions of SWG.  Or clearly state that ressurection would only be as it was, when it was shut down.  Poll could be very misleading, otherwise.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

If I was to answer just in terms of how much I liked the game back then, it'd be Asheron's Call 2 for me by a mile.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    SWG with 2012 graphics and some bugs ironed out would be the best thing since sliced bread. too good to be true. 

Yes, yes it would.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    It's interesting how many CoH write-in votes there were...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I think most people judge it as not only being a ressurection, but a general revamp of the game as well. Of those games, SWG actually has some good stuff going for it, even only poorly executed. It has (IMO) the best potential if resurrected and revamped in the same style.

Despite this, my main interest would be the matrix online. It provides such a unique environment, the issue is I think it was just done incorrectly. Using technology available today and over-halling the game and keep a similiar concept. It has a more unique take that just wasn't exploited all that well. In this regards it falls flat compared to SWG since at least that game had some of those ideas in place, even if some weren't to well done.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Originally posted by grimal Where were all these people when the game was bleeding subs?

The bulk of what was left maybe.

SWG was bleeding subs since day 1.

Bugs galore, no balance and terrible developers will do that.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Probably right here (or on a similar site) calling the game shyte. I know I was.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Yea yea, according to the visitors of this site EVERY game is a "FAIL!!!" even if its still in beta.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Vhaln

That is the glaring issue with that poll.  Probably need to differentiate between the two different versions of SWG.  Or clearly state that ressurection would only be as it was, when it was shut down.  Poll could be very misleading, otherwise.

This^

Most of those who voted for SWG were probably voting of pre-NGE, but then we'll never know poll should be clear  =/

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    MxO & SWG. I had 5 subs for 4 years, so that is where I was.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I think there is a version of SWG that most people are talking about and its pre-NGE.

And SWG was bleeding subs because SOE fucked the game up to the point that no one new wanted to play it, and no one who had been playing it still wanted to.

And I agree a much cleaned-up SWG (pre-NGE) would be...would be...I cant speak. Sorry. Im too emotional just thinking about it, sorry.

*deep breath*

*deep breath*

Awesome. It would be awesome.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Probably right here (or on a similar site) calling the game shyte. I know I was.

Yeah, but dont you call every game shit?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I was playing it on and off for years untill they announced that it was going to be shutdown later that year. Then all incentive was gone to play it ever again. After trying SWTOR I started to miss SWG again.

I have been critizising SWG all those years, because it had so many bugs.  NGE later on shaped to be quite cool in terms of features (crazy amount of different activities and mechanics), but it also had one the worst ground combat systems I ever played in a game. If preNGE combat could be combined with late NGE features, it wouldve been awesome.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Tabula rasa ftw. 

i was shocked when they announced that game was closing. i really enjoyed and i think if it got rez'd with f2p model it would do good business

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

You guys are nuts.

SWG had 100,000+ subscribers before the NGE.

For 1,000 of them to speak out in a Massively poll is hardly a reason to say  "WHERE WERE YOU ALL WHEN....!!!"

People miss the game they once played.

Deal with it.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Swg never had the numbers to legitimize a AAA support or development.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by grimal Where were all these people when the game was bleeding subs?
    The bulk of what was left maybe.

SWG was bleeding subs since day 1.

Bugs galore, no balance and terrible developers will do that.

^ this.. 

I started SWG on day 1, and quit months later after waiting and waiting for glaring bugs and unbalances to be fixed..   I would love to see Pre-CU Star Wars Gal. to be resurrected, BUT only if they actually FIX all the damn bugs and problems that caused me and thousands of others to quit in the first place..

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Sadly, I first played the free trial of SWG ONE WEEK before the announcement of its permanent closure. I was going to sub to that game. 

I understand from many posters that SWG was not nearly as good a sandbox experience at the end as when it launched, but still, it was so much better (in my opinion) than most other games out now because it offered deep and varied gameplay options which it would have taken me some time to fathom, even in its so-called degraded latter state.

I believe SWG will live again in another form. There are too many good things there to be lost forever. The Force will manifest in MMORPGs again. You just wait and see. SWG will live on in another form.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Most people remember the past fondly like the good ol' days.  The fact of the matter if the games did get resurrected they probably wouldn't be played as much as people are hoping.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by worldalpha
    Most people remember the past fondly like the good ol' days.  The fact of the matter if the games did get resurrected they probably wouldn't be played as much as people are hoping.

I really think if SOE opened up pre-NGE servers now, in less than a year the subs would drop below 100,000. 

On the other hand, if they made a *new* Star Wars MMO using their new engine (that they use in PS2 and EQN), used most of the features in SWG + JTL, re-did the planets from the ground up while adding new ones as well... It could very well be a hit.