Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do People Hate OWPVP?

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

The answer, in my opinion, is already in your original post.  The word gank.  May be fun for the jerk nozzles doing the ganking, not always so hawt for the people getting ganked.  If you're allowing a big part of your playerbase to be griefed like that openly then that playerbase goes somewhere else.

Why do people not like it?  I know I don't like it because it's not in my plan.  If I want to go out and do this quest, check out that area, etc etc.  That's what I want to do.  I don't want to have to fight every larry curly and moe along the way who thinks they're awesome or trying to take the stress out of their sad lives by being big bullies in a video game.

I'm sure there are games that support open world pvp as a big deal, at least there should be, it's definitely got a big enough following, but it has no place in a game like GW2 really.  Just my two cents tho.

Its a game called Guild Wars. The very name of the game is about players fighting players? There is definately a place for it in a game like Guild Wars.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by DeivosMost notably the fact they had explicitly stated how they changed the game in response to the differences in how western players show less respect/regard for other players and how that made them seek to implement safeguards for lower level players that they said they previously simply didn;t need in the eastern version.

Interesting point which goes back to a lineage 2 issue with a siege boss. I don't remember how it was implemented but the story goes that there was a siege where some sort of boss was summoned or it was by a siege? Well "whatever"...

Some people lured it to town and it destroyed many of the players and stores.

When asked why the developers didn't place safeguards for this type of thing the developers told the CM that "we never have that problem because the eastern players are too busy sieging."

On hindemith, for quite a while, when a disliked clan took a castle and if they kept that castle, the server would sometimes rise up and remove them.

It happened several times. It was one of the best things about that server. Slowly but surely that died out as players left the game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Sovrath

When asked why the developers didn't place safeguards for this type of thing the developers told the CM that "we never have that problem because the eastern players are too busy sieging."

This is true.

From my experience Oriental cultures has less of this type of trollish behaviour - where someone does something that just flat out harm others but do not benefit themselves.

Might have something to do with the difference in value system between Eastern and Western societies. In eastern societies this type of behaviour is believed to be not just tools but actually "stupid", as in mentally disability stupid, because it doesn't benefit them - to the Eastern way, If it doesn't make money/gain power, it is a waste of time.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Yizle

Its a game called Guild Wars. The very name of the game is about players fighting players? There is definately a place for it in a game like Guild Wars.

Funny, never engaged in PvP or joined a Guild in all the time I played Guild Wars.

Go figure.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93

"I personally like the OWPVP and being able to mess with someones day while there gathering, questing whatever there doing ."

you answer the question yourself you dont want pvp you want to destroy a funny gaming day of another person and thats why the other person most likely dont want open pvp for that reason.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Does anyone else notice how players will often use terms that make themselves sound tougher or better than other players? Especially when talking about a preference for features? It's often phrased in a way to sound reasonable, but it is really just a way to say, "Playing a game with feature X makes me better than you". Is that just me?

All I know is I'm obviously a better player than anyone who plays themepark MMOs.  And I'm definitely more skilled, because everyone knows the games I play take more skill.  

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

If it doesn't make money/gain power, it is a waste of time.

lol, I can almost see my girlfriend saying something like this. She was born here but her family has a very strong foot in her chinese heritage.

She often says things like "it's not practical" or "why would I do that, it has no benefit". Her whole family is like that.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by grimal

Mostly because it leads to ganking, bullying, and unruly playground behavior.   And because most of us are past first grade.

I also think this is the crux of it.

People don't like to be "belittled" in a pastime. Well, in my experience very few do.

I can't imagine most people spending what little downtime they allow themselves being fodder for abuse.

Maybe if the OWPVP crowd was a better sport about "the sport" more people would be inclined to try it out.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

This is true.

From my experience Oriental cultures has less of this type of trollish behaviour - where someone does something that just flat out harm others but do not benefit themselves.

Might have something to do with the difference in value system between Eastern and Western societies. In eastern societies this type of behaviour is believed to be not just tools but actually "stupid", as in mentally disability stupid, because it doesn't benefit them - to the Eastern way, If it doesn't make money/gain power, it is a waste of time.

You really should look up some of the early F2P research which was done specifically on the eastern market and you will see that statement is completly false.

They found that a great way to raise revenue was to sell an item someone could shame (aka grief/troll) another player with. They do it just as much as the west.

I'm sure someone will come out with "prove it" and although I've done it in the past, I'll let people who want the knowledge go out and find it and those who want to believe the random "facts" they formed in their head may continue to do so.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Open world PvP is for those who like games of war, for those who like to challenge themselves against other players. War is nasty, brutal and often unfair, it's about the survival of the fittest, if you find yourself in a fair fight then your tactics suck.

Not everyone is tempramentally suited to playing them and so if they aren't, they shouldn't play them.

The people who try them and can't cope are unable to accept that they are not suited to the game and need to believe that the concept of the game is flawed to avoid the truth that it is they who couldn't adapt.

Population size is no guide to the quality of a game or its gameplay, you don't see Dan Brown winning literary awards yet his sales are massive. OWPvP will never be as popular as PvE due to its less casual nature and the need for the right kind of player mentality to cope.

Does anyone else notice how players will often use terms that make themselves sound tougher or better than other players? Especially when talking about a preference for features? It's often phrased in a way to sound reasonable, but it is really just a way to say, "Playing a game with feature X makes me better than you". Is that just me?

I'm sorry, where did I say one was better than the other. That's right, I didn't. I said they were for people with a specific mindset and you need the right kind of mentality to cope with the specific challenges inherent in an OWPvP game. Please don't foist your own issues onto me.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Parasitenoir

Hey guys - (just to start so no flaming occurs) i will be playing gw2 so I am not a hater.  I just have a more general question.

Why is it that people do not like true open world pvp, where you can gank anyone while they are questing etc.  I enjoyed it in wow while it existed (vanilla-slightly BC), Rift was good, and currently gaming in Tera.

Is it the annoyance of being ganked and not being able to defend yourself.  Does it provide to much of a challenge.  Or is our generation just lazy and prefer to sit in a town and just que for stuff.

I personally like the OWPVP and being able to mess with someones day while there gathering, questing whatever there doing .

what are peoples thoughts on this?

Gankers - griefers and general jerks. That is why open world PvP does not rank on my list. Too many little kid attitude people think it is funny to kill low level players over and over.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Hey guys - (just to start so no flaming occurs) i will be playing gw2 so I am not a hater.  I just have a more general question.

Why is it that people do not like true open world pvp, where you can gank anyone while they are questing etc.  I enjoyed it in wow while it existed (vanilla-slightly BC), Rift was good, and currently gaming in Tera.

Is it the annoyance of being ganked and not being able to defend yourself.  Does it provide to much of a challenge.  Or is our generation just lazy and prefer to sit in a town and just que for stuff.

I personally like the OWPVP and being able to mess with someones day while there gathering, questing whatever there doing .

I love open world PVP games but they must include full loot and a reason for PVP..

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by RefMinor Open world PvP is for those who like games of war, for those who like to challenge themselves against other players. War is nasty, brutal and often unfair, it's about the survival of the fittest, if you find yourself in a fair fight then your tactics suck.   Not everyone is tempramentally suited to playing them and so if they aren't, they shouldn't play them. The people who try them and can't cope are unable to accept that they are not suited to the game and need to believe that the concept of the game is flawed to avoid the truth that it is they who couldn't adapt.   Population size is no guide to the quality of a game or its gameplay, you don't see Dan Brown winning literary awards yet his sales are massive. OWPvP will never be as popular as PvE due to its less casual nature and the need for the right kind of player mentality to cope.  
    I'm sorry, where did I say one was better than the other. That's right, I didn't. I said they were for people with a specific mindset and you need the right kind of mentality to cope with the specific challenges inherent in an OWPvP game. Please don't foist your own issues onto me.

That's just it. Even when it sounds reasonable, it boils down to, "Playing this style game makes me better than other people."

They're games. You don't need coping mechanisms to deal with them. You either like the style of play, or you don't.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Homitu

All I know is I'm obviously a better player than anyone who plays themepark MMOs.  And I'm definitely more skilled, because everyone knows the games I play take more skill.  

Actually, not really true...

You could be the absolute worst PvPer in Darkfall, for example. An absolute joke, with skills way below someone who prefers optional PvP in their game. Simply logging in to a OWPvP game dosen't elevate anyone above anyone else in PvP skill.

All we have is e-peen to indicate otherwise.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by RefMinor Open world PvP is for those who like games of war, for those who like to challenge themselves against other players. War is nasty, brutal and often unfair, it's about the survival of the fittest, if you find yourself in a fair fight then your tactics suck.   Not everyone is tempramentally suited to playing them and so if they aren't, they shouldn't play them. The people who try them and can't cope are unable to accept that they are not suited to the game and need to believe that the concept of the game is flawed to avoid the truth that it is they who couldn't adapt.   Population size is no guide to the quality of a game or its gameplay, you don't see Dan Brown winning literary awards yet his sales are massive. OWPvP will never be as popular as PvE due to its less casual nature and the need for the right kind of player mentality to cope.  

That's just it. Even when it sounds reasonable, it boils down to, "Playing this style game makes me better than other people."

They're games. You don't need coping mechanisms to deal with them. You either like the style of play, or you don't.

I actually think RefMinor was rather neutral in his language use and you are reading too mcuh into his statements.

On the other hand it is quite easy for such statements to become condensanding and it is a frequent occurance on these forums.  Most of the people making those statements don't even realize that they are insulting and seem to naturally assume that their playstyle is superior.  

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

I don't hate it.  I just prefer not to participate these days.

It stems from alot of things but mostly it's the participants.

Back in the day if you got ganked you could let people know about it in a non whiney way and people would actually come and help you deal with the ganker and what started as a gank would turn into an all in brawl as both sides let people know there was a fight going on and people piled in for fun.  These days if you tell someone you got ganked and you would like some help getting pay back your either ignored or called some version of crybaby carebear and told to quit.

You used to be able to message the guy who killed you especially if it was close and share a moment of mutal respect for each others skills sometimes you would evan learn a thing or two about how to plug some holes in your build.  Now you message a person who kills you and it's assumed your being sarcastic and you get a message back filled with bile and QQ moar carebear why don't you stfu and quit already.

Then again maybe it's me I had a greater tolerance of crap when I was younger and as I get older having to wade through all the bad to find the nugget of good just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

I don't hate OWPvP, I hate how most games that have it seem to think it should be in all areas of their game.  I'd love to play a game that mixes them well.  Eve seemed to do a good job, so something along those lines would be fine.  Make it impossible or painfully expensive to kill someone in some areas, make it cheap and easy in others.  

And then don't force those who aren't willing to pvp into pvp areas by dangling essential goods, housing, xp, or whatever.  Just dangle optional things, like faster currency gain, or ever so slightly better loot, or maybe just a slightly higher droprate on rare loot.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Madimorga

And then don't force those who aren't willing to pvp into pvp areas by dangling essential goods, housing, xp, or whatever.  Just dangle optional things, like faster currency gain, or ever so slightly better loot, or maybe just a slightly higher droprate on rare loot.

I would have to disagree with this part. They SHOULD have desirable things in pvp areas.

Then, if people don't want to go into the pvp areas to obtain them, those things should be sellable by the people who are willing to go into the area.

of course this speaks to the type of gameplay I'm interested in which would be more of an open world "world" where the community works together/battles against each other for such things.

There is no reason by pve players and pvp players can't work together.

Then again, I'm also for high level monsters put close to noob areas and if new players aren't careful they get wiped. So I might be in the minority.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Madimorga     And then don't force those who aren't willing to pvp into pvp areas by dangling essential goods, housing, xp, or whatever.  Just dangle optional things, like faster currency gain, or ever so slightly better loot, or maybe just a slightly higher droprate on rare loot.
    I would have to disagree with this part. They SHOULD have desirable things in pvp areas.

Then, if people don't want to go into the pvp areas to obtain them, those things should be sellable by the people who are willing to go into the area.

of course this speaks to the type of gameplay I'm interested in which would be more of an open world "world" where the community works together/battles against each other for such things.

There is no reason by pve players and pvp players can't work together.

Then again, I'm also for high level monsters put close to noob areas and if new players aren't careful they get wiped. So I might be in the minority.

I agree with Sovrath on the resources. If the PvP is to have meaning, then it needs to be used to obtain something in the game, like territory or resources. If the PvP has no purpose besides PvP, then it's inevitable that ganking and griefing will occur. Territory control and resources are good reasons for PvP to happen.

At the same time, I'm in favor of players being able to create safe places for PvE activities. This gives players incentive to control territory. If player controlled territory isn't really safe, there's not too much reason to control it. In the case of owned territory not being safe, it would be better to just run around like a marauder taking resources from other players.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40

I love OWPVP, but hate the ganking... 

I don`t know if this would work, but if there was a system in place that would keep track of ganking, by just taking the difference in lvl into account, so the person ganking gets "marked" somehow.. by measuring the difference in lvl or whatever and putting this towards a Total open world pvp score.  In the end this may simply be a way to keep score of who is the best ganker, but, the score itself might allow for self-regulation by the online community.  Just a thought...

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Mostly because almost all the devs that have done it, have done it wrong.

Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, Darkfall, and Eve are some of the only ones that did it right.

You cannot have FFA PVP in a level/loot based game.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Cuz 99% of it is just a level 90 killing a level 10. ie pointless bother.

Now i loved the fronteirs in DAOC, people exped on them they had the BEST exp (you got a bonus for being there) so it was tempting to exp your lower level characters out there... but you could be ganked (its not griefing because your intentionally putting yourself in that situation). And well if the area was too hot .. you left and could still exp in the non-pvp world areas. Genious, i don't understand why dev.s don't understand risk vs reward even on small basic levels like this; anymore.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Drachasor
    When a level 50 guy shows up in the level 10 zone, you can't defend yourself.  You're dead.  It's not about being "too much of a challenge", but rather open world PvP encourages people to behave like jerks.  I don't like that kind of "gameplay."

Then you should play a game where the "level 10" could at least stand a chance against the "level 50".

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

This is true.

You really should look up some of the early F2P research which was done specifically on the eastern market and you will see that statement is completly false.

They found that a great way to raise revenue was to sell an item someone could shame (aka grief/troll) another player with. They do it just as much as the west.

I'm sure someone will come out with "prove it" and although I've done it in the past, I'll let people who want the knowledge go out and find it and those who want to believe the random "facts" they formed in their head may continue to do so.

My statement is not completely false, because I am Chinese, even though I grew up overseas.

And I worked in Hong Kong for a long time.

lol.

I can tell you Asian are a lot more focused on the materialistic and practicality. For example, do you know what the Gangnam style song was really saying? It was about exactly that - Asian cultures focus too much on the material and appearance and practicality but not substance and creativity.

May I ask you what is your crediential on Asian culture sir?

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by Salahudin

I love OWPVP, but hate the ganking... 

I don`t know if this would work, but if there was a system in place that would keep track of ganking, by just taking the difference in lvl into account, so the person ganking gets "marked" somehow.. by measuring the difference in lvl or whatever and putting this towards a Total open world pvp score.  In the end this may simply be a way to keep score of who is the best ganker, but, the score itself might allow for self-regulation by the online community.  Just a thought...

Would not work. If when some pk killed other guy in the game, a 100 side "dice" was rolled and if pk didnt got 100 this pk would also be killed. People would still complain. Yes, 99% of the times a guy that kill another would also be killed and this would make almost everyone not want to be a PK. BUT......

As many said in this forum, many times (not my case), many users here just dont want to be killed by another player PERIOD.