Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is me at 16. Here I am at 56. I look the same... I've looked the same.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by tabindex
    Aerowen, that's fine and dandy that all of your level 15's look fancy.  The thread is about the fact that there's little to no change all the way to 80.  No offense (really, I don't mean any offense by this next statement), but my underfstanding is that you have eight characters that are all like level 10 or 20.  Thus, you haven't a good understanding on this issue.

you miss this ?

http://donoftheslum.minus.com/   when you get to the bottom click more for more:) and more again for more

from my experience every couple of levles you have crafted set, randon drop set, karma sets, at around  30 you can start getting cultural first sets.. trying to find where this shortage in choices is.. not to mention the dye system which allows you to recolor at your will

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by tabindex
    Aerowen, that's fine and dandy that all of your level 15's look fancy.  The thread is about the fact that there's little to no change all the way to 80.  No offense (really, I don't mean any offense by this next statement), but my underfstanding is that you have eight characters that are all like level 10 or 20.  Thus, you haven't a good understanding on this issue.

you miss this ?

http://donoftheslum.minus.com/   when you get to the bottom click more for more:) and more again for more

Maybe gear variety isn't the issue.  Maybe they just need to make the unique gear more available.  If it's easy to find, I'm having trouble understanding why so many people complain about a lack of gear variety.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Just going through the pictures on this site http://donoftheslum.minus.com/mx7ccAEG6, I realize that my female Guardian had encountered at *least* nine different armor sets by level 80, completely discounting crafted and karma skins (let alone the rarer ones, such as dungeons). I honestly don't feel the same way as the OP at all, in any shape or form.

But who am I kidding? OP has been complaining about GW2 for months. Something tells me he isn't exactly trying very hard to like it.

• VenomaniaVenomania Member Posts: 40

Blue sets all look the same, Yellow then Orange (Rare/Exotic) use the different skins. Is is the gear progression in GW2. It's aesthetic. You get higher tier gear to 'look' better. Go onto the TP buy a full set of Yellow and BAM. You look totally different. I'm lvl 70 and I'm on my 3rd rare set. All look totally different. 

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by bcbully

Fugly skin. I hate how it looks in-game. Did you do the personal story parts? You get different looking skins every so often, and can pull together a nice looking set and keep that look via the transmutation stones.

That's the short skirt I get every once in awhile. Matter of fact that's the other vaariation I've seen. It's either that or the one I have on. I haven't seen a third...

Well that's infuriating...but being B2P I can see why it was implemented the way it was. 

I would not say this is a huge deal other then I thought huge gear choices were the point of GW2.  Stats won't be hughly different between gear but you will have 1000 different ways to make your character look or something like that.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

Fugly skin. I hate how it looks in-game. Did you do the personal story parts? You get different looking skins every so often, and can pull together a nice looking set and keep that look via the transmutation stones.

That's the short skirt I get every once in awhile. Matter of fact that's the other vaariation I've seen. It's either that or the one I have on. I haven't seen a third...

Well that's infuriating...but being B2P I can see why it was implemented the way it was. 

I would not say this is a huge deal other then I thought huge gear choices were the point of GW2.  Stats won't be hughly different between gear but you will have 1000 different ways to make your character look or something like that.

gear choices IS a huge part of this game.. look at the links posted few posts back

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Venomania

Blue sets all look the same, Yellow then Orange (Rare/Exotic) use the different skins. Is is the gear progression in GW2. It's aesthetic. You get higher tier gear to 'look' better. Go onto the TP buy a full set of Yellow and BAM. You look totally different. I'm lvl 70 and I'm on my 3rd rare set. All look totally different. 

That's not true - blue sets do not all look the same.  There is generally one set from crafting, 1-3 from blue drops, and at minum another 2 looks from karma vendors for each part of your equipment.  Then of course at around 30 you can get or buy the pirate stuff (which I hate personally), and soon after start mixing in cultural stuff.  There is a lot, you just need to look for it.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316

To help, I linked these above, which give a general gallery of armor you can find (lots of it easily obtainable):

http://donoftheslum.minus.com/uploads

and 

http://donoftheslum.minus.com/

And additionally if people are looking for places to buy karma gear, which almost always has "some" unique looks, look here:

http://dulfy.net/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-karma-vendor-list/

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

gear choices IS a huge part of this game.. look at the links posted few posts back

I had missed that post.  I do stand corrected it does look there is a very good selection of gear choices for a game that just launched.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Level 16 me. 

This is me at 56

Why does 90% of the gear look the same. Do you think this is ok? 

http://donoftheslum.minus.com/mzXq5s3Le

Ranger level 48. So far I have mixed and matched 6 armor sets. Pictures 3-20 plus the Rawhide set that's oddly not in the gallery. I also want more of course, but I think what GW2 has right now is understandable for a vanilla game.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by cyraeth
    Im currently a level 80 mesmer.. been trough the mayority of armor changes ( every 10 levels or so aprox, was more than enough to keep with leveling pace and monster strengh) and i hardle repeated a look... maybe one piece here and there... but thats what the transmutations stones are for.(wich you can easily get for free via map comp, or achievements)... just saying... maybe you had severe bad luck and just got the same armor model... but even so, dyes make a drastic improvement.. maybe sometime later i will post some pics

I'm only a level 33 mesmer, but same here. The looks are totally different each 10 levels, and that's not counting the looks through tailoring. There's alot of armor variety in this game, although on my ranger I'm finding medium armor a little repettitve at times. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

If you don't use anything but crafted armor, your look will change completely at least every 20 levels. However, crafted armor is a minority, so it's more like every 10 or so levels. So uh, is preading misinformation fun? For a certain kind of people, I suppose it is.

Originally posted by Tutu2

There's alot of armor variety in this game, although on my ranger I'm finding medium armor a little repettitve at times. 

That's my main complaint armor wise. Many medium sets look quie nice and I love their hats, but long coats get old pretty fast.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Mods his gear to the original look to bash game......

*rolls eyes*

I have a caster and there are plenty of low level sets...

Hoelbrek(sp?) and cabalist look amazing... 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Heres me at 80.  I look pretty badass IMO.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I'm a level 56 Ranger.

Untill level 40 or so I only saw three different coats. Then I got some nice drops and some rewards for personal story. Then a friend crafter showed me some coats he could make for me.

Then I bought some low level coats at the Trade Post, just to check them out (few copper each) and saw I missed at least a few while leveling up. (because they didn't drop for me)

I now already saw at least ten different coats. I think there are many more. The problem right now is there is no preview function in the Trade Post. So you can't go check out all the different armor styles. (they are working on it though)

Edit

http://donoftheslum.minus.com/mzXq5s3Le

Wow, cool link. Guess I was right, there are many more.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Weird stuff.

People that actually like the game and play it find armor variety.

People that think the game sucks and have troubles logging in can't find any armors.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Mods his gear to the original look to bash game......

*rolls eyes*

I have a caster and there are plenty of low level sets...

Hoelbrek(sp?) and cabalist look amazing... 

Well I'm glad he said something, because this thread is helping to dispell a myth that even I thought was true.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

It would be unfair to target only GW2 since this is a classic MMO problem. Devs love to copy paste skins from lvl 1 to whatever is the level cap. Rift was another worst offender in this category.

The only MMO where i looked different was TSW. Lots of variety for clothing.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

This is the skin from the level 60ish tailoring sets you can craft.

http://imgur.com/a/B28Ka

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Didn't really read most of the thread - but if you rely on drops your gear will hardly ever change, you should look for karma vendors as their gear changes looks like every area you go to (1-15, 15-25 etc)

Keep in mind that every heart quest you finish turns into a Karma vendor.

That said, this game has a lot of ugly armor and very few likable pieces to me personally.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

(pictures removed, didnt work for me anyways).

Why does 90% of the gear look the same. Do you think this is ok? 

Nah, I do think the game needs more skins but I still dont see why you kept the same look for so long. Do some dungeons, or at least buy some crafted rare gear which is cheap, exist from lvl 35 and up and look very different.

I craft my own gear, not that expensive or take that much work.

This is not the worst I seen in a MMO, far from it (EQ2 is the worst, new color does not a new skin make and using one single robe over and over in the entire game is just lazy) but the game do need some new skins at lower levels.

I liked how low gear looks in AoC, when you start out with rags. My barbarian spent 5 levels in a sack turned into a poncho and a loincloth.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    have you looked in to all the racial armors?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Weird stuff.

People that think the game sucks and have troubles logging in can't find any armors.

Alot of the problem is that many people from other games actually think that blue gear is useable. It is vendortrash and they never put that much work into the look of that.

But I like the game and I have to agree what it still needs some more skins at lower levels. Hopefully will the first expansion fix this, because right now you more or less get 3 choices (for each aror type) until you hit lvl 35.

After that it is not really a big issue.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Weird stuff.

I'm going to bank on the ridiculous notion that the game KNOWS and is purposely denying them of armors. :)

They will not admit to the more logical reason anyway.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, this is something I hope Anet works on soon. If nothing else, I think they need to make the lower lvl crafting gear look significantly more different. Especially from tier-tier. It's kind of annoying that all the crafted gear looks the same from lvl 10-70ish. It's only once you start crafting rare / exotics do they start to really become unique.

The karma vendors also add a good amount of variety to the gear, but overall there's just not enough viable options. By this, I mean a lot of the lower-end gear looks fairly ridiculous, so you don't see people trying to wear them. The result is you tend to get people wearing the same general pieces mostly.

That said, I can say that this generally only bothers me when I'm playing an alt. As aesthetically most of the armor (of the same type) that I consider decent looking is fairly similar. However, just walking around in the world / WvW / towns there is enough customization to where i don't really see many clones. Everyone looks pretty unique, it's mainly my own characters that start to look the same. I have managed to keep my 2 casters looking different, but heavy & medium armor is a bit harder to work w/.

Guess it's mostly a matter of person pref, really.